Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leaked draft says that Supreme Court has voted to overturn Roe v Wade

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Leaked draft says that Supreme Court has voted to overturn Roe v Wade

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...inion-00029473

The Supreme Court is expected to publish its final decision within the next two months.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My country's conservative party is split between libertarians and Christian traditionalists. There was an expectation that the traditionalists would eventually lose as our society becomes more and more secular, but I'd wager that this legislation is going to embolden them alongside traditionalists across the Western world.

Conservative leaders have been walking a thin line, and often failing, in trying to appeal to both libertarians and traditionalists. I think that their job just got harder.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as I understood, this legislation won't ban abortion outright. It passes that decision to individual states. Is that right?

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    As far as I understood, this legislation won't ban abortion outright. It passes that decision to individual states. Is that right?
    Yeah that’s right.

26 states are expected to ban abortion. 22 of those states have already passed laws that will go into effect when Roe v Wade is overturned.

https://www.guttmacher.org/article/2...h-ones-and-why

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Poptart View Post
    Yeah that’s right.

26 states are expected to ban abortion. 22 of those states have already passed laws that will go into effect when Roe v Wade is overturned.

https://www.guttmacher.org/article/2...h-ones-and-why

People are going to start voting with their feet.

This is actually a bad sign. More separation between liberals and conservatives will to lead to a bad place.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Supposed to be a 92% chance Roe v. Wade will be overturned this year:
    https://www.metaculus.com/questions/...d-before-2023/

Such a move will likely increase the Democrat share of the vote for many years.

Do they need 60 senators to vote in favour of a federal law permitting abortion?

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    Supposed to be a 92% chance Roe v. Wade will be overturned this year:
    https://www.metaculus.com/questions/...d-before-2023/

Such a move will likely increase the Democrat share of the vote for many years.

Do they need 60 senators to vote in favour of a federal law permitting abortion?
    Yeah they would need 60 senators. Democrats have floated abolishing the filibuster—an option unlikely to succeed.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I really don't like Republicunts and wrong-wingers. They claim to care so much for potentinal life and fetuses but are so cruel and snobby and heartless to lives when they actually do get here. And fuck people in power usually being wrong-wingers as well - they should learn how to govern themselves not other people.

If I was a woman and I was raped or even if I had sex I regretted and wasn't ready fo r a child, I would hate some nosy busy body ESE Republicunt emotionally manipulating me into having the baby when they just want to virtue signal they care about kids but they're pretty much gonna be 'your 2 years old. time to get a job now and leave me alone and not say anything' when the person is born. I fucking hate them all and they hate me. I am proud to be a liberal.

My very left-wing bisexual BDSM-advocate friend is going to be absolutely furious about this lmao.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    People are going to start voting with their feet.

This is actually a bad sign. More separation between liberals and conservatives will to lead to a bad place.
    Honestly, this is what worries me the most about this. I sat in bed imagining the America after this passes and all I saw was an all-around more negative place. These Christians want to sacrifice worldly peace for unworldly, and that's what makes them dangerous.

It's also not legislation, it's the overturning of a previous ruling

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

860k abortions were performed in the US in 2017. Half of women seeking abortions in our country earn wages below the federal poverty line.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Women have good reasons for choosing abortion. Either they can’t support a child or they don’t want to.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

860k abortions were performed in the US in 2017. Half of women seeking abortions in our country earn wages below the federal poverty line.

"If they are poor, then they deserve to be punished. Punished by powerful males, whom they should be grateful to serve and obey. They are property, after all."

You know, I sometimes see cities on fire. And this is seriously why I should not serve in any public office.
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 05-05-2022 at 02:53 AM.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get ready to see a massive amount of babies being born addicted to fentanyl

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Get ready to see a massive amount of babies being born addicted to fentanyl

No worries. The Republican states will see that they don't get any care and so don't become a problem.

This isn't about babies' lives, you know. This is about women as property.
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 05-05-2022 at 01:38 AM.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Until it's banned in blue states, rich Republican men can still get abortions for their hookers.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No worries. The Republican states will see that they don't get any care and so don't become a problem.

This isn't about babies' lives, you know. This is about women as property.
    Gov. Abbott now saying Texas might challenge a SC decision requiring states to offer free education to all children (including children of undocumented immigrants):
    https://emeatribune.com/abbott-says-...cate-all-kids/

“Texas already long ago sued the federal government about having to incur the costs of the education program, in a case called Plyler versus Doe. And the Supreme Court ruled against us on the issue. … I think we will resurrect that case and challenge this issue again, because the expenses are extraordinary and the times are different than when Plyler versus Doe was issued many decades ago.”

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Gov. Abbott now saying Texas might challenge a SC decision requiring states to offer free education to all children (including children of undocumented immigrants):
    https://emeatribune.com/abbott-says-...cate-all-kids/

“Texas already long ago sued the federal government about having to incur the costs of the education program, in a case called Plyler versus Doe. And the Supreme Court ruled against us on the issue. … I think we will resurrect that case and challenge this issue again, because the expenses are extraordinary and the times are different than when Plyler versus Doe was issued many decades ago.”
    People who think that education is too expensive should be allowed to try ignorance. If they could be left to the consequences of their actions, we wouldn't have them making stupid statements any more.

Because they'd be frozen to death, dead of heat stroke, or flat broke.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do traditionalist Christians, especially men, feel about recreational sex within marriage? Is that also something that they're willing to disincentivise by banning abortion (and birth control)?

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

How do traditionalist Christians, especially men, feel about recreational sex within marriage? Is that also something that they're willing to disincentivise by banning abortion (and birth control)?
    @xerx, What planet are you on?

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Louisiana lawmakers advancing bill to classify abortion as homicide

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/lou...de-2022-05-05/

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If abortion is murder, then should every miscarriage be investigated for negligent homicide?

A “chemical pregnancy” is a pregnancy that ends within 5 weeks from the start of the woman’s last period. It’s hard to know the true prevalence of chemical pregnancies—most women don’t know they’re pregnant before 5 weeks—but it’s estimated that up to one-third of all pregnancies are chemical pregnancies.

Should the state subject all women of reproductive age to mandatory monthly pregnancy tests and health examinations? Also, should we outlaw alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, etc. for all women who might become pregnant? Should we force feed women healthy diets to optimize the chance of a successful pregnancy?

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@xerx, What planet are you on?
    I'm just sayin'.... As far as I know, there aren't that many evangelical Christians with, like, eight kids.

But that's the number of kids in an Amish family (who presumably don't get abortions or use very much birth control), which suggests that evangelical couples either secretly get abortions, use birth control, aren't very fertile, or don't have a lot of recreational sex.

I doubt that the last two options are very prevalent. And if they don't get abortions, that leaves birth control as the only mechanism for preventing pregnancy, which makes their stance on sex education (they're completely against it) all the more complicated.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

I hope Roe v. Wade does get overturned. Not because I'm against abortion, but for the same reason I'm against a federal legalization of gay marriage; I'm just over here wondering when it became the business of the federal government. They should restrain themselves to Constitutional matters, and let the voters in each state decide for themselves at the ballot box what they want.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is insane

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This is insane
    This is the kind of world that makes Conservatives happy.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just sayin'.... As far as I know, there aren't that many evangelical Christians with, like, eight kids.

But that's the number of kids in an Amish family (who presumably don't get abortions or use very much birth control), which suggests that evangelical couples either secretly get abortions, use birth control, aren't very fertile, or don't have a lot of recreational sex.

I doubt that the last two options are very prevalent. And if they don't get abortions, that leaves birth control as the only mechanism for preventing pregnancy, which makes their stance on sex education (they're completely against it) all the more complicated.
    Maybe they’re pulling out?

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe they’re pulling out?
    They should teach them that in Sunday school.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe this ‘draft’ got ‘leaked’ as a distraction from other issues right now that they don’t want people to pay attention to. Seems kinda fishy to me.

idk the details so I could be way off, and I’m really out of touch with what’s going on right now, but it’s just plain weird imo
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    SLI 5w6
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shazaam View Post
    I really don't like Republicunts and wrong-wingers. They claim to care so much for potentinal life and fetuses but are so cruel and snobby and heartless to lives when they actually do get here. And fuck people in power usually being wrong-wingers as well - they should learn how to govern themselves not other people.

If I was a woman and I was raped or even if I had sex I regretted and wasn't ready fo r a child, I would hate some nosy busy body ESE Republicunt emotionally manipulating me into having the baby when they just want to virtue signal they care about kids but they're pretty much gonna be 'your 2 years old. time to get a job now and leave me alone and not say anything' when the person is born. I fucking hate them all and they hate me. I am proud to be a liberal.

My very left-wing bisexual BDSM-advocate friend is going to be absolutely furious about this lmao.
    I love your way with words.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd View Post
    I love your way with words.
    And I love you as a person, even if we are from opposing quadras. *blush* It's probably the shared irrationality ((and shared GAYNESS!)) - I usually have bigger beef with the Delta rationals.

Or socionics is overrated and is mostly a bullshit scam. That can also be true.

TIM
    school shooter one
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tinder probably won’t be doing as well. lol
    how to enlarge your dragon, click here

Quote Originally Posted by End View Post
    get ready to get cucked
    Quote Originally Posted by roger557 View Post
    got this Socionics stuff caught by the balls

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My Republicunt post got 8 likes, keep 'em coming y'all.

TIM
    INxp
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shazaam
    And I love you as a person, even if we are from opposing quadras. *blush* It's probably the shared irrationality ((and shared GAYNESS!)) - I usually have bigger beef with the Delta rationals.

Or socionics is overrated and is mostly a bullshit scam. That can also be true.
    Superego relations are known to be strangely attractive.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capitalist Pig View Post
    I hope Roe v. Wade does get overturned. Not because I'm against abortion, but for the same reason I'm against a federal legalization of gay marriage; I'm just over here wondering when it became the business of the federal government. They should restrain themselves to Constitutional matters, and let the voters in each state decide for themselves at the ballot box what they want.
    Your rights should not depend on which state you live in...
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shazaam View Post

I don't want to know how many republicans have pressured their mistresses to have abortions. They are all hypocritical trash.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

KIM!!!

Guys first @aixelsyd and now @Kim. Come on I have to be EII. All this time... headed for Delta Heaven all along.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    I don't want to know how many republicans have pressured their mistresses to have abortions. They are all hypocritical trash.
    Yeah I was thinking that too- or their own daughters/sisters/mothers if they got raped. They'd just do it in secret or hire a private practice to do it while hypocritically shitting on planned parenthood or liberal organizations wanting to help women that are less privileged and actually you know, need help.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Your rights should not depend on which state you live in...
    The federal government should respect the right of the states to make up their own minds. That's how this country works. The federal government guarantees basic Constitutional protections and national defense, that should be the scope of their operations. There is overreach everywhere. If an issue is popular enough, which it seems abortion is, there is usually a cascade effect of states passing similar legislation, as we are seeing with marijuana. As we saw with seatbelt laws 30 something years ago. It requires no federal intervention at all. Abortion is not an inalienable right, it is not about "pursuit of happiness." Being from Europe, you should be well aware of how extreme USA abortion regulations are, in terms of how available they are with the law being what it is now. That being said, I am not against abortion legalization in most circumstances, and I also don't want to see more kids born to unfit parents. I don't personally like it, but I am also not in a position of ever needing an abortion, and I accept that. I just don't believe this is something that needs to be decided on a federal level. States have rights, too.
    Last edited by Capitalist Pig; 05-12-2022 at 12:18 PM.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

No way. A gay person born in Alabama or whatever, or a redneck Hick breeder state - shouldn't have a shitty life just because the State would most likely vote against it.

How dumb and stereotypical to just have a GLBT community in California and Vermont ((and a few other states)) and nowhere else. Pretty heartless and disgusting to treat people that way. Yeah of course some gays really are immoral and don't deserve any 'protection' - but when you think about the reality of what that would do to all the GLBT who don't deserve it, it's a pretty fucked up thing to advocate for.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast