Thread: IEIs/EIEs - are you guys into dream interpretation?

Default IEIs/EIEs - are you guys into dream interpretation?

Someone told me I couldn’t have Ni because I wasn’t into dream interpretation or things similar to it. I’m not sure of my type anyway- I might be an Ni user, I might not (maybe I like food too much) but the reasoning seemed like BS to me lol.

But it got me curious anyway- are you guys into dream interpretation? or maybe things like interpreting tarot cards? If so what about these things is appealing to you? Do you have to think of meanings, or do they just come naturally to you without any effort?

Personally I think you could give me any symbolic type of media and I wouldn’t struggle at all to come up with meanings for it. Dreams too. However, it’s not something I do without thinking about nor do I find it particularly fun unless there’s an important big message. But the reason I find this easy might be linked to being a long time student of the arts and humanities.

Banned
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@kittendioxide

What is meant here by 'interpretation'? writing an essay or simply understanding something?

I don't think it's fair to type someone over an action or attitude towards something. Any type can do anything, but it's more so the psychological functioning behind the action which is being investigated here.

Am I into dream interpretation? Well I have suggested others to try it so they can see what is on their 'unconscious' but I don't interpret my own dreams. In fact I don't particularly dream at all. I definitely day dream more than I night dream and obviously I don't have to 'interpret' my day dreaming because well I'm dreaming about the thing I want to dream!

No I am not interested in interpreting tarot cards. I have no idea what they are or how they work but it sounds like a scam to me.

I do however interpret the meaning of works of art, poetry, and history. I'm really good at finding meaning in things. If you want me to get me to do something it has to be something meaningful to me.

So yes, I can tell you the meaning of a film- but you won't really see me writing essays on the meaning of it unless I feel there is a particular need to do so.

I mean 'meaning' is not all that important in 'art'. It is to me- and the best works of art are always very meaningful—but I don't particularly think people watch 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2' or read pulp magazines for meaning. Art itself has no meaning, rather it is created subjectively by engaging with it.

Life is a dream, anyway~.

I’d agree with you. I couldn’t tell you what exactly they meant by interpretation as they didn’t fully explain it, I was inclined to trust their judgement at first because they seemed like they knew their stuff and I’d never looked into socionics properly at that point. Something felt off, but I still wondered if there was any truth to their statement. @None

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by None View Post
    What is meant here by 'interpretation'? writing an essay or simply understanding something?
    Literally google the fucking definition. We can't be expected to explain the English language to you.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dreams are associations without a physical context. They are the unconscious. There is no set method of interpreting dreams. but interpreting them has a use, as does experimenting with associative actions like Tarot.

Re-contextualizing meaning via symbols is the point. Increasing the complexity of your consciousness and elevating it.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

TIM
    SEI • sx9
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when it comes to interpretation of things (whether it be dreams, tarot, or art etc) i don't like to do it. i find it to be quite difficult unless things are spelled out for me to be quite honest. but everyone i talk to seems quite confident that i'm iei so

at the very least i find things like that to be interesting enough that i'll listen to someone talk about it and i have a deck of tarot cards that i got because they were pretty but i struggle a lot in making any sort of readings with them.

and with dreams in particular, if i make any sort of interpretation its only for myself and the extent of it is "oh i dreamt of getting married to my sucky ex maybe i saw something that reminded me of him" or "all my teeth fell out in this one i remember reading that means something to do with money but its probably just because i subconsciously feel like i didn't brush my teeth well enough @.@"

some people make it seem so easy and i'm honestly really fascinated by that and them though
    Last edited by p o m; 04-27-2022 at 04:17 AM.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think it has to do with proper anchoring for me. You split your life into separate streams of flow and reflect arising themes during it while you make contrasting associations based on different qualities it brings on the surface. Can you build a convincing story that is not banal? I think that should suffice. Obviously there is no proof but you did an exercise that should help you to understand something better through reflection.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    Intuitive
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many years ago I had a fight with my mother over something kind of trivial. That night I dreamt that I had big boils on my skin filled with black pus, and my mother was holding me and squishing it out. I woke up feeling incredibly rested and like I'd forgiven my mother.

I think dreams are mainly for things like that. Processing what's been on your mind during the day. I don't think they can give you any insights that you haven't already primed your mind for so to speak; you can only dream prophetic dreams if you're already a prophet. But I think dreams can give context to the thoughts you're having throughout the day by letting them play out in the emotional landscape that gave rise to them. Or, the other way around: emotions are played out in dreams with the thought-landscape that gave rise to them. I used to argue with my psychologist about what came first: thoughts or emotional reactions. He claimed that it was thoughts that gave rise to emotional reactions whereas I thought that it was emotions that decided what thoughts were gonna pop up.

Banned
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Eudaemonia
    Shut up cunt. What a retarded post. If you really want to be hostile, I can be hostile! What is it with you fucking retards and your 'definitions'. Do you have autism? Do you have difficulty understanding why someone can say one thing but mean another? Seriously.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kittendioxide View Post
    Someone told me I couldn’t have Ni because I wasn’t into dream interpretation or things similar to it. I’m not sure of my type anyway- I might be an Ni user, I might not (maybe I like food too much) but the reasoning seemed like BS to me lol.

But it got me curious anyway- are you guys into dream interpretation? or maybe things like interpreting tarot cards? If so what about these things is appealing to you? Do you have to think of meanings, or do they just come naturally to you without any effort?

Personally I think you could give me any symbolic type of media and I wouldn’t struggle at all to come up with meanings for it. Dreams too. However, it’s not something I do without thinking about nor do I find it particularly fun unless there’s an important big message. But the reason I find this easy might be linked to being a long time student of the arts and humanities.
    EIE-Ni here. I can only speak for experience.
    Dreams are very important to me, and I can remember thousand of them, also those I dreamt when I was seven yo. Reading online, I found studies which claims Ni dom/aux tend to have a good "vision memory". They remember well mental imagery and past in general (Ni is a time function in socionics).
    But, for me dreams interpretation is not important. There are some kind if interpretation which any person can do, and are quite normal. For exemple, an EII friend of mine dreams to loose his teeths, fearing bad healty conditions (maybe his fear comes from Si Hidden Agenda), while I loose my hair in dreams (I fear to look less beautiful).

What's very strange about my personal case is that I make very often dreams which comes true, but when I do them I never think they mean something. I undestands it just because the next day it happens. I'm still quite sceptical about it, despite the precision of my dreams.
    While, My ESE (or IEE) mom is a lot in dream interpretation and frequently makes tons of premonitory dreams (more than me), which resolve the next days, or always in a week.

So, I don't think it is Ni related the interpretation, but way more what do you think about your dreams, how much you register or give importance to the mental images they create. I spotted that Ni user dreams frequently shows a mixture of different places in one, which create unique and inexistent place, or they dream a place with totally different size or furniture.

Since Ni is also a "summarizing" and contemplative function of those mental imagery (and mental stuff in general), the type often has strong suggestions from liminal spaces.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I used to interpret my dreams but it felt too pretty bow-y. I annoyed others with my pretty ribbons and I was annoyed by them too. It made sense to me though why I dreamed that, but other people didn't like me sane- I was more likeable to others or something when I didn't feel so much in control. But to me its like, a very obvious thing- that it's so logical it's boring. People would rather have dreams be mysterious and "magical" but its like, of course I dreamed about pizza that night when I was thinking of pizza earlier in the day (or whatever)

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reason why I initially started paying attention to my dreams, at a younger age was because I noticed they tended to be prophetic about my personal life or a family member. Later on, I started realizing that my dreams would be trying to get my attention about something I was missing in the real world. So, yes, Dream Interpretation is valued with me... but IMO, DI, in particular isn't mandatory when it comes to being an entire type or valuing Ni.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The meanings of my own dreams usually seem obvious to me, however, I think I could apply the phrase interpretation still, especially to other people's. It's like the word entertainment, people think it means lighthearted amusement but it really means to pay attention to something. Just one of many words where the meaning seems to be ruined by idiots.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YES

That’s a triple bolded italicized hell yes ;p

In my teens I was really big into it. Had several dream interpretation books. I read them all and would bring them to school. I’d ask my friends what dreams they had all the time and one of my favorite things to do was interpret them.

As you can imagine, I was known as being kinda a weirdo. Lol. I was pretty defensive about being called that back then, but now I just mostly accept it
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎