Thread: Do people tend to be dissatisfied when initially working out their socionics type?

Default Do people tend to be dissatisfied when initially working out their socionics type?

In your personal experience,
    and do people who belong to “desirable” types that are highly romanticised feel happy about it, or are they indifferent? Perhaps for people considering multiple types the one they feel most turned off by might actually be their best bet? lol, i’m not sure. Is someone who’d love to be one type and hate to be another actually more likely to be the one they’d hate to be? Maybe if you like being your type… you actually aren’t.

Of course all of this depends on the individual, but I’ve observed that many people in the MBTI community who claim there’s no way they could be a certain type for a multitude of reasons actually end up being that type on occasion - usually with sensing types. I found that interesting. People are more averse to descriptions of their own flaws right?

My apologies if this reads like a jumbled word smoothie.
    Last edited by kittendioxide; 04-24-2022 at 08:00 PM.

Banned
    TIM
    ILI-DC™
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah that does happen often enough. Though to me, as long as you're a Central type you've won the the type lottery in Model G.
    Last edited by Ocean Man; 04-24-2022 at 11:25 PM.

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends on one's self-esteem and I suspect that most people interested in typology and whom are not mental health professionals, have self-esteem issues of which the degree is more or less pathological. Having said that, an accurate TIM diagnosis should, IMHO be somehow rejected like a form of denial more or less pronounced. It makes sense since most people self-identify with their Super-ID stricto sensu and with their Mobilizing Function in a particular socionics sense. If you are totally happy with your initial typing whether you have taking the due time to acquire a decent understanding of the socionics theory or not, then your Ego had a rather unexpected response. I see several possible reasons for that :

- You are a very mentally healthy and balanced person and you're probably over 25 years old
    - You have a very low Self-esteem and thus a somewhat unhealthy Ego
    - You have been mistyped and the type you got is one the types your Ego has considered as an acceptable option
    - You have self-typed yourself in which case one or several of the above reasons could also be applied

As I said this is just my humble opinion.

Low self esteem can result in being happy with ones typing? how so? I’d imagine the opposite- having a low self esteem might manifest as making certain people wanting to get “special” or highly idealised types to compensate, although people with low self esteem might be more likely to overly identify with their type and make it a defining factor in their identity too. People with a healthy self esteem would probably not be the kind of person to attach any kind of value to themselves based on their socionics typing anyway. Thank you for sharing your opinion

Banned
    TIM
    ILI-DC™
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kittendioxide View Post
    Low self esteem can result in being happy with ones typing? how so?
    He might be on to something. I've personally seen some people that after being typed by Gulenko, they become hardcore students, drink the kool-aid and then more or less fit their entire being into the concept of their supposed type (these people often do have pathological self-esteem issues). A lot of people under 30 seem to fall into that trap with scientology and things like that, regardless of their 'type' in any system. Friends of mine that are mental health professionals were horrified by the idea and placed no value on their types even though they were typed accurately.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first thread tons of MBTI INFPs make on type forums goes something like "Oh my god I hate my type, it's the worst type ever." I felt the exact same way, now it just looks like a right of passage to me lol. But S types get tons of hate online so I can see why they would not want to be associated with anything S. Image being told by everyone over and over again X is dumb and stupid, anyone who likes X is dumb and stupid, you might start to think X might be dumb and stupid, until you try X out for yourself and see that you like X, now are you gonna tell everyone you like X so they can say how dumb and stupid you are? The N elitism in type forms got so bad that some S types thought they were "inferior" and tried to cope with that fact that they weren't N types.

I wonder if actual N types are likely to prefer to be N types too, then. Surely they’re not immune to the bias - everyone likes descriptions that are more flattering and I rarely see people mistyping as sensors. I’ve seen some people that won’t even consider S types. @Lord Pixel

@persimmonism I end up feeling the same way with almost every type I type as, unless it’s one with many negative stereotypes. My initial typing was SEI, I felt no aversion to it and enjoyed reading the descriptions, but I can’t say that logging on to any forum and seeing the SEI slander didn’t impact my perception of myself at all.

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kittendioxide View Post
    @persimmonism I end up feeling the same way with almost every type I type as, unless it’s one with many negative stereotypes. My initial typing was SEI, I felt no aversion to it and enjoyed reading the descriptions, but I can’t say that logging on to any forum and seeing the SEI slander didn’t impact my perception of myself at all.
    I don’t personally see much SEI slander on this forum. I complain a lot about one specific SEI who hurt me. I wish SEIs would talk more on the forum, they are so mysterious, we would like to understand them better

Also there are like super amazing cool role models/idols of every type to look up to. Most famous people I look up to are not IEI, although I like being IEI (even though I’ve had a bunch of serious problems in life.)

People are generally alright on this forum. However, it is a psychology forum so you do get people working out their own issues and sometimes they need to vent about certain types in order to work through stuff. Most people seem curious to engage with each other’s observations. I dislike the lazy/shallow/superficial stereotyping that occurs too, although it is human nature to stereotype to an extent. It seems to be something immature people do, but mature people do it too. Sometimes it’s funny. Also, socionics descriptions are full of stereotypes but that’s coz nothing better has been written yet
    Last edited by Bethanyclaire; 04-25-2022 at 08:21 AM.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@kittendioxide Well I didn't read type descriptions before I took the test to even know what an N type or S type was. I took the MBTI test and get INFJ the first time, it sounded nice but not me, but then I took the test again and got INFP and I started shaking, it was sort of surreal. So I didn't get a chance to hate my type before I got it. But then when I saw other types, and realized my type sucked at Te I loathed my type for a while, I felt so worthless and weak and like I ended up getting the worst type of all ( didn't know about PoLRs at the time but that was contributing) and I wished I wasn't my type for a while, but I really did love Ne creative. But after some time and seeing so many MBTI INFPs go through the same thing I realized I'm not crazy, and the types which I super envied like LIE at the time, I visited their forum enough to realize they aren't perfect either. I started appreciating my type and it helped me get over a ton of insecurities that I felt for my whole life, I don't know how I would be now if I didn't know about type honestly, probably still horribly insecure. I don't get self esteem from my type, like oh look at me I got an awesome type, I learned to not be so hard on myself and that even though my disposition came with problems I didn't ask for that doesn't mean I can't do something about them now, just play the best hand I can with the cards I've been dealt. Forget people's biases because no type is perfect, and all types use N and S.

dewusional entitwed snowfwake VewyScawwyNawcissist's Avatar
    TIM
    NF 6w5-4w5-1w9 VLEF
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i used to dislike INFJs but then i figured i didnt understand a lot of them, then i ended up becoming superficially the negative caricature of what other ppl also see them as.
    https://linktr.ee/tehhnicus
    Jesus is King stops black magic and closes portals

self diagnosed ASD, ADHD, schizotypal/affective

Your face makes your brain and sociotype – how muscle use shapes personality

I want to care
    if I was better I’d help you
    if I was better you’d be better

Human Design 2/4 projector life path 1

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@persimmonism yeah to be fair I do remember being surprised at general things written about IEI, (that made us sound crazy, brat-like, even cruel) and I found socionics quite challenging to deal with at first. Yes…I now remember reading all the old threads. There is some juicy stuff in them but also the worst stereotypes of all lol
    Last edited by Bethanyclaire; 04-25-2022 at 02:37 PM.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not really, if I don't like my type I'll just pick another one.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eudaemonia View Post
    Not really, if I don't like my type I'll just pick another one.
    That's a cool attitude to have

When asked about marriage, Kim Kardashian gave a similar reply.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Cat View Post
    That's a cool attitude to have

When asked about marriage, Kim Kardashian gave a similar reply.

Do you feel married to your type? Have you been faithful?

Honest answers only.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After a couple of tests I landed on IEI which I quickly started doubting. The next best fitting type was EII. It took a glance at the the descriptions to decide that being that type was a hellish thought. I tried to cling onto the IEI typing but after a very short while it became pretty clear that I wasn't that. I switched to ILI and then LII - Ne, before finally accepting being EII. I still can't stand looking at EII descriptions and the majority of the content on the type I find online...

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From following the reaction of others after knowing their type I will say yes and strongly, no one likes his type especially when reading socionics descriptions of weak functions
    Souls know their way back home