Thread: How do you deal with imposter syndrome?

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How do you deal with imposter syndrome?

Do you have it? If so, how do you deal with it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome

dewusional entitwed snowfwake VewyScawwyNawcissist's Avatar
    TIM
    NF 6w5-4w5-1w9 VLEF
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fake it till u make it
    u aernt something until u are
    and then if u mess up then u messed up like people think if ur competent at something u will be consistent with it but its not how it works
    when u fail it means u were a fake but everyone makes mistakes this is not to say that u shouldnt try to improve
    if u repeat a lie long enough it becomes the truth u can brainwash urself into learning things including personalities
    https://linktr.ee/tehhnicus
    Jesus is King stops black magic and closes portals

self diagnosed ASD, ADHD, schizotypal/affective

Your face makes your brain and sociotype – how muscle use shapes personality

I want to care
    if I was better I’d help you
    if I was better you’d be better

Human Design 2/4 projector life path 1

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve had moments of self-doubt, but I don’t think that’s the same thing as imposter syndrome

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yes. To me this just relates to a thing that we do not live in a void but I think realizing this helps to overcome most adversities and to learn to embrace collaboration as a contributor.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think imposter syndrome is a product of a highly competitive and socially disharmonious environment. Most Tech companies are this way, Universities too.

EDIT: oops I didn't answer the question. I don't really know how to deal with it, it makes me stressed out. In these environments not appearing the way you need to will actually affect your career.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VewyScawwyNawcissist View Post
    fake it till u make it
    u aernt something until u are
    and then if u mess up then u messed up like people think if ur competent at something u will be consistent with it but its not how it works
    when u fail it means u were a fake but everyone makes mistakes this is not to say that u shouldnt try to improve
    if u repeat a lie long enough it becomes the truth u can brainwash urself into learning things including personalities
    A sad truth that the great enemy has taken great advantage of. Though I will disagree with the sentiment of "You aren't something until you are."

In the past I'd have agreed with you. Now? Now I'm not so sure. I'm now more of the opinion that you always were that thing you imagined but other BS kept you from realizing that. The primary source of Imposter Syndrome that I will dig into shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Eudaemonia View Post
    I think imposter syndrome is a product of a highly competitive and socially disharmonious environment. Most Tech companies are this way, Universities too.

EDIT: oops I didn't answer the question. I don't really know how to deal with it, it makes me stressed out. In these environments not appearing the way you need to will actually affect your career.
    As above and as you probably already guessed, Imposter Syndrome springs primarily from attachment issues. The broken are constantly in a state of impostering whatever they think/perceive to be what those around them want them to be. The greatest fear of such people is that they'll get found out somehow. The problem is compounded by the fact that those with said issues cannot detect what exactly it is that will cause people to reject and abandon them. Everyone else can clearly and easily see what is wrong with you, but you cannot. Thus you'd best fake everything to minimize the risk of you dying horribly.

I wish I was being hyperbolic here but I am not. Getting found out as a minor fake is embarrassing but ultimately not fatal. At least in the modern world...

Also why I say the "fix" is easy on paper but ultimately a Herculean effort in practice. All ya gotta do to fix your attachment issues is to do what your brain is screaming at you is the equivalent of...

Well, I'll use the example that spoke to me. Can you charge over "No Man's Land" in WWI when that bastard of an officer who blew the whistle will be the REMF you all know will go up and over last?

I know I sound like a crazy person but that's how it really is. Your brain will scream at you that you will die if you try to be honest and open with your own blood relations! No, knowing how this works won't help sadly. I now know all about how this works and the instant I get distracted I slip into being a dumbass broken ILI and then only catch myself after the fact. At least it has provided profitable results I'll say. Profitable in the sense that that I'm slowly getting my direct family to admit I'm actually right about all this...

Might be a hidden advantage of being an ILI. We do get a handy dandy "emotional" kill switch. Provided we even remember we can punch that thing when things get a wee bit emotional...

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by End View Post
    As above and as you probably already guessed, Imposter Syndrome springs primarily from attachment issues. The broken are constantly in a state of impostering whatever they think/perceive to be what those around them want them to be. The greatest fear of such people is that they'll get found out somehow. The problem is compounded by the fact that those with said issues cannot detect what exactly it is that will cause people to reject and abandon them. Everyone else can clearly and easily see what is wrong with you, but you cannot. Thus you'd best fake everything to minimize the risk of you dying horribly.
    Next level

Someone: I broke my phone in a row. Is that happen to anyone, what can I do to prevent it?
    End: This springs primarily from attachment issues. The broken are constantly in a state of broking things..continues..

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by myresearch View Post
    Next level

Someone: I broke my phone in a row. Is that happen to anyone, what can I do to prevent it?
    End: This springs primarily from attachment issues. The broken are constantly in a state of broking things..continues..
    That made me chuckle. Still, from the standpoint of relationships and most psychological disorders I'm not wrong on this.

Fuck this toxic snake pit Fluffy Princess Unicorn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People with bipolar may struggle with imposter syndrome now and then. It's why they come off meds at times. "Maybe I don't really need them. Maybe I'm fine. Maybe I was just being (lazy/hyper/whatever alternative) before."

Not sure how to deal with it. It's not a well studied thing in the psych field, honestly. In the case of bipolar people, they just keep going until they realize "Oh shit, I actually do need meds" as a result of seeing their own symptoms recur.
    Last edited by Fluffy Princess Unicorn; 04-21-2022 at 10:39 AM.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by End View Post
    That made me chuckle. Still, from the standpoint of relationships and most psychological disorders I'm not wrong on this.
    When a person gets too attached to certain way of looking at things, they see everything with that gaze alone and they try to make sense everything in terms of that gaze alone. It can be a hit or miss but it doesn't seem to reflect reality more so it seems to reflect that person's attachment to that gaze.

When a person evolves from that, they can see things with that gaze when it matters not in everything. They don't attribute too much things into it since they are above it not under it.

So what I mean is End, if you figure out away to broke your attachment to attachment issues, you can see and assess things with a clear sight like we all do when we get into a subject too much that gives us some revelations and when we get above of it.
    Last edited by myresearch; 04-22-2022 at 11:40 PM.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    Do you have it? If so, how do you deal with it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome
    It comes from overfocusing on your own performance (in socionics terms, you're acting too much on your super-ego).

Solution: get yourself out of the focus, try to help someone with something, then when you realize how easily you can solve it, the sense of incompetence will vanish. When it does, be careful not to fall for dunning-kruger effect and thinking you are way more competent that you actually are.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Most people should have imposter syndrome, in my opinion

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

To me living in society requires everybody to have Imposter Syndrome in a sense. Article even states 70% of people experience something like it. You deal with it- by either moving to a place that accepts your identity better or riding out the wave of dynamic Te. Society is like a well-oiled machine that has to sacrifice your immortal demons to function. Some demons that aren't even that harmful but still scapegoated - you have to pretend they don't exist and play the game or your entire being will be punished. "Just tell the therapist how you really feel, so we can help you!" - ie just lie and manipulate us - or we will get Umbridge in here. You're really gonna regret it if you're actually honest."

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading the text of the question on the homepage of the site, I thought you were talking about the imposter in Among us
    Souls know their way back home

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*Bump*

Any more tips would be great.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    *Bump*

Any more tips would be great.
    Idk I guess it depends on the situation. Do you feel like an imposter at work, at a social setting, or something else?

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

address your basic 'sense' or schema of yourself and whether or not it is accurate? In psych they like to use (in therapy) what is called hypothesis testing or something similar; you test your ideas against real-world experiences (and document them if needed) and here it sounds like people who suffer from this may hold on to a sense of self that may not be completely supported by this 'evidence' and so perhaps some possible cognitive dissonance

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've known people who claim to have it who genuinely aren't competent. Sometimes "imposter syndrome" is just a conscience.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

“There are ways to build resilience to impostor syndrome, but there are also real changes that need to be made to address equity. The problem isn’t necessarily the person; it can also be the setting or culture.” Andrea Salazar-Nuñez, PhD, clinical psychologist

i'm approaching this from the opposite view aka the dunning kruger personality so this could complete the puzzle 'from the other side' so to speak

jokes aside, the obvious solution is not even caring and proceeding to do your thing, though it can't be forced just because. instead, it's better to know what overbearing person(s) or strict social circumstances trained you into such a state of submission and fear. it always caters to someone else's sociopolitical or even financial advantage. let me repeat... it plays into someone else's hands at your expense.

so, see who gains from your impostor syndrome before you rip and analyse yourself apart. and you'll be a lot smarter why you act this way once you think globally. hurting yourself first so somebody else won't — quite insidious if you think about it. the animal plays dead not to be eaten. so... who's trying to maul you, then? parents, peers/colleagues, the state, boss, partner/the opposite sex, any competitor, the neighborhood?

sometimes, it's good to put on the horse blinders and steamroll straight ahead. others do, too. knowing that, in reality, where have those accusers of you been around, has someone actually exposed you? probably less so when compared to an actual cocky person, right.

plus develop the awareness that it's easier to get rid of as time passes despite the fact that going against an entire culture seems like a lot. analogy of the baby elephant chained to the picket that it can rip out very easily once it grows up but doesn't and such.

helpful?

Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This may actually be tied to your inner longing for competence. Deep inside maybe you want to be seen as great. So are you good or are you bad at what you do? Set yourself free from the chains! Maybe you’re average. It also it doesn’t matter if you are good or not anw. And people won’t care either if they aren’t benefiting from it. If you don’t know something just say you don’t know. If you know something say you know. If it’s actually wrong say you’ve made a mistake. Sometimes life can be that simple

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by one View Post
    This may actually be tied to your inner longing for competence. Deep inside maybe you want to be seen as great. So are you good or are you bad at what you do? Set yourself free from the chains! Maybe you’re average. It also it doesn’t matter if you are good or not anw. And people won’t care either if they aren’t benefiting from it. If you don’t know something just say you don’t know. If you know something say you know. If it’s actually wrong say you’ve made a mistake. Sometimes life can be that simple
    I really think this is good advice It helps to put things into perspective like this.

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't mind being under-qualified for now as long as I'm getting paid and can convince people that I'm competent enough. My hope is that I can eventually pivot into something that's more in line with my strengths/interests and not work for other people ideally
    Last edited by Averroes; 10-07-2023 at 04:44 PM.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, I'm sorry, but I cannot stand the "fake it until you make it" advice. That is the worst advice anyone could ever give to me (and imo, to anyone, but it seems like some people actually benefit from being a total fake). I also want to fight anybody who delivers that advice to me but I'll refrain... I must be a good person

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Poptart View Post
    Idk I guess it depends on the situation. Do you feel like an imposter at work, at a social setting, or something else?
    nvm. I got over it.