Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Your experience with overindulging a function

  1. #1
    Stray Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    816
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Your experience with overindulging a function

    Have you ever overindulged a function and, if so, what's been your personal experience with it and how has the overindulgence affected your social life?

    If I happen to overindulge a function I will probably try to counterbalance with its functionary compliment. Optimally, I prefer slightly changing environments that will give me an opportunity to balance my psych without overindulgence.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    TIM
    LSI 7w8 soc-blind
    Posts
    272
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ti like a screwdriver through the head, you gotta feel nauseous at the end of it otherwise you aren’t doing it right
    ترفرف كالأجنحة غير المنظورة حول رأسي

  3. #3
    Stray Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    816
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibreen View Post
    Ti like a screwdriver through the head, you gotta feel nauseous at the end of it otherwise you aren’t doing it right
    Quote Originally Posted by chocolatte View Post
    I have a threshold of how much Ni I can overindulge in before feeling crappy and restless. Once I pass it, I become an extrovert for a day, maybe engage in impulsive behaviour, and then things go back to normal hahaha
    It seems psychological overindulgence would lead to something like an extreme lifestyle between isolation & socialization. It's a similar dynamic that takes place within relationships of acceleration, such as activity or benefit. A certain emotional threshold is reached, at which point emotional exhaustion comes about. Doesn't sound fun to me.

  4. #4
    Hot Scalding Gayser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The evolved form of Warm Soapy Water
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    14,931
    Mentioned
    662 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Too much Ni - Feels like reading into people and situations too much, although this has many psychological benefits feels too much like being stuck in tar with the other person where you can't simply let go and live your life. Ni craves Se so badly as while se is a lot more shallow it's physical and earthy and tangible and balances it out nicely. SEEs stereotypically help their nerdy duals and semi-duals actually 'have a life.'

    Too much Ne - I feel frazzled out and neurotic. Kind of like I'm going crazy. I can start seeing a lot of colorful images which actually isn't as 'nice' as it sounds on paper- it often has this jarring, overly bright effect. Ne is way too bright, like the lights being on too much when your brain needs to rest.

    Too much Se - too carnal and unfulfilling. Like something that gives you immense gratification for a short while but then afterwards you feel hollow, empty and emotionally/morally vapid. Too much Se is like being Jeffrey Dahmer really lololol. Yes, Se dual seekers are technically dualized by carnal perversions whether they may be ((No, I'm not into the same crap Jeffrey was)) - this isn't inherently a 'bad thing' but too much of anything is poison.

    Too much Si - Hard to explain, but it's like too complacent and easy going like your own ambitions and desires are always on the backburner for somebody else. I've seen SEIs kinda overly go along with what their ILE husbands want to do - begging for their sassy gay friends to slap them and say 'stand up for yourself more, girl!' or something. It feels like wasting your life all day on a comfortable mattress or something idk.

    Too much Fe - Feels narcissistic, overtly manipulative and sex offendery, like Joss Whedon trying to molest minor girls and get away with it under the guise of faux-feminism and standing on a podium trying to be witty. Ugh.

    Too much Fi - This actually feels a bit similar to Fe, though less jokey and witty. It's trying to come off like some holier-than-thou self righteous person, like it's 'better' because only a close friend or husband or personal relationship with Jesus and God/whatever knows the person's dirty little secrets. But in all reality everybody knows the Fi's dirty laundry as well with other functions like Ni. "Too much" Fe or Fi is like standing on a podium preaching righteousness when in reality the preacher always has a more darker and twisted motive.

    Too much Ti - Overly categorical and list-like. Where the definitions of things can get in the way with the nuance and humanity of something. The phrase 'GLBTQ' is too Ti like when in reality gay people mostly got equal rights and respect by other people/under the law when they worked in the str8 male coal mines with everybody else instead of overly identifying ourselves at the LA Gay rights centre.

    Too much Te - too authoritative, bureaucratic and draconian. Using 'but an official said it!' as an excuse to justify anything. Whereas Fe *is* too sex offender-y, Te has the opposite problem of seeing sexual abuse when there isn't any. Whereas Fe is way too gay, Te is way too straight. It's like 'we get it already, you're heterosexual. Stop talking about it' etc. Comes off like a boring and uptight professional stuck up hard ass with no sense of fun.
    Last edited by Hot Scalding Gayser; 02-23-2022 at 05:38 PM. Reason: grammar

  5. #5
    Hot Scalding Gayser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The evolved form of Warm Soapy Water
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    14,931
    Mentioned
    662 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Oh this also reminds me of one of my favorite Kylie songs lolol ((It was an interesting decision to have the incredibly 'fun' part of the song only once in this song- it's like this clever gimmick to make you listen to it over and over again, and if they included it more than once, well that would be: Too Much))


  6. #6
    Still Alive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    TIM
    LII-C
    Posts
    4,723
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I feel like overindulging in Se makes IEI a Ted Bundy, or in a more passive sense, you use a razor blade on yourself, intlicting self-harm. Ti makes you a pedantic rule following beta. Ni is like you don't feel the need to go out bed and interact with anything, for weeks

  7. #7
    Still Alive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    TIM
    LII-C
    Posts
    4,723
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shazaam View Post
    Too much Ne - I feel frazzled out and neurotic. Kind of like I'm going crazy. I can start seeing a lot of colorful images which actually isn't as 'nice' as it sounds on paper- it often has this jarring, overly bright effect. Ne is way too bright, like the lights being on too much when your brain needs to rest.
    I think you are still partly describing Ni here. too much Ne basically looks at a concrete situation and thinks "what if it's the other way around?".
    like the goal and the road is clear but you're still taking an alternative path even though it's unnecessary.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Posts
    631
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have overindulged Ni like a motherfckr.

  9. #9
    Will we start over, or circle the drain crazymaisy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SE USA
    TIM
    ILI-Ni GAMMA NH-c
    Posts
    643
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ni -- tetris effect when driving just because that's Ni - driving, everyone else should be scared.

    Worse Ni stuff:

    Driving somewhere and arriving safely and having no memory of the journey. EEeek

    Getting off a highway and forgetting how to brake/slow down or just remember I'm driving and need to slow down ... fast enough

    Sounds like a bad driver, but no. No problems in that area. I mean safe driving record, no points or pull overs. No accidents.

    Ni, just thinking of a million things or colors or just who knows what. Lost in your mind considering those million things.
    Maisy
    ILI-Ni (INTp)
    I think in pictures, moving pictures...

    Recommended Music - ILI-Ni



    "And one peculiar point I see,
    As one of the many ones of me.
    As truth is gathered, I rearrange,
    Inside out, outside in, inside out, outside in,
    Perpetual change"


    Yes - The Yes Album - from "Perpetual Change" (written by Howe and Squire)

  10. #10
    ouronis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Posts
    2,999
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have this really bad habit of rattling off all 20 ideas I have about something when I'm inspired and it pushes people away. I think it starts to feel like an ego exercise (heh) for them instead of the brainstorming session it feels like for me.

  11. #11
    ouronis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Posts
    2,999
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazymaisy View Post
    Ni -- tetris effect when driving just because that's Ni - driving, everyone else should be scared.

    Worse Ni stuff:

    Driving somewhere and arriving safely and having no memory of the journey. EEeek

    Getting off a highway and forgetting how to brake/slow down or just remember I'm driving and need to slow down ... fast enough

    Sounds like a bad driver, but no. No problems in that area. I mean safe driving record, no points or pull overs. No accidents.

    Ni, just thinking of a million things or colors or just who knows what. Lost in your mind considering those million things.
    Sometimes I think about (while driving) what it would be like to suddenly forget how to drive. Luckily that stuff is in my bones and I probably couldn't forget even if I wanted to.

    By the way..being a bad driver isn't limited to having accidents.

  12. #12
    Will we start over, or circle the drain crazymaisy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SE USA
    TIM
    ILI-Ni GAMMA NH-c
    Posts
    643
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ouronis View Post
    Sometimes I think about (while driving) what it would be like to suddenly forget how to drive. Luckily that stuff is in my bones and I probably couldn't forget even if I wanted to.
    I can always drive, just don't think about it, and I know it flips my hubby out if I ever try to say anything about this outloud. So yes, it's an in the bones skill, driving. LOL
    Maisy
    ILI-Ni (INTp)
    I think in pictures, moving pictures...

    Recommended Music - ILI-Ni



    "And one peculiar point I see,
    As one of the many ones of me.
    As truth is gathered, I rearrange,
    Inside out, outside in, inside out, outside in,
    Perpetual change"


    Yes - The Yes Album - from "Perpetual Change" (written by Howe and Squire)

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    TIM
    ILI
    Posts
    5,766
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ouronis View Post
    Sometimes I think about (while driving) what it would be like to suddenly forget how to drive. Luckily that stuff is in my bones and I probably couldn't forget even if I wanted to.

    By the way..being a bad driver isn't limited to having accidents.
    I do that too. lol

  14. #14
    Local Legend Toro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Rust Belt
    TIM
    SEIZOR
    Posts
    501
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think it is perfectly reasonable to suspect people can overindulge in a function. I think that this could happen in all blocks for different reasons. I'll use personal examples of things I've done in different parts of my life.

    Ego block overindulgence is very likely to occur if an introvert becomes a hermit or an extrovert never sits still long enough to look within themselves. SEE Ego overindulgence could be nights spent laughing and joking around with friends and never dedicating themselves to anything but meaningless hedonism.

    Superego overindulgence could result from working a job that doesn't suit your sociotype or trying to fulfill preconceived societal obligations. SEE superego overindulgence could be striving to work in a field that requires high levels of abstract conjecture and constant reevaluation of systematic information. This could be because the SEE wanted to chase some prestige or feels as if this is the best way to display their intelligence to others.

    SuperId overindulgence could result from trying to be who you wish you were rather than who you actually are. SEE overindulging in SuperId could be overconfident in their forecasting abilities as well as the accuracy of the worthiness of one activity over another, resulting in catastrophic failure and the SEE wondering what on earth went wrong.

    Perhaps the least likely is Id overindulgence, this would probably need a strong environmental influence to force a person to feel as if their ego functions are inadequate or harmful making them break with who they are. I have not experienced this personally. This could result in being raised in a household with conflicting types as parents.
    Bound upon me, rush upon me, I will overcome you by enduring your onset: whatever strikes against that which is firm and unconquerable merely injures itself by its own violence. Wherefore, seek some soft and yielding object to pierce with your darts.

    -Seneca

  15. #15
    Stray Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    816
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toro View Post
    I think it is perfectly reasonable to suspect people can overindulge in a function. I think that this could happen in all blocks for different reasons. I'll use personal examples of things I've done in different parts of my life.

    Ego block overindulgence is very likely to occur if an introvert becomes a hermit or an extrovert never sits still long enough to look within themselves. SEE Ego overindulgence could be nights spent laughing and joking around with friends and never dedicating themselves to anything but meaningless hedonism.

    Superego overindulgence could result from working a job that doesn't suit your sociotype or trying to fulfill preconceived societal obligations. SEE superego overindulgence could be striving to work in a field that requires high levels of abstract conjecture and constant reevaluation of systematic information. This could be because the SEE wanted to chase some prestige or feels as if this is the best way to display their intelligence to others.

    SuperId overindulgence could result from trying to be who you wish you were rather than who you actually are. SEE overindulging in SuperId could be overconfident in their forecasting abilities as well as the accuracy of the worthiness of one activity over another, resulting in catastrophic failure and the SEE wondering what on earth went wrong.

    Perhaps the least likely is Id overindulgence, this would probably need a strong environmental influence to force a person to feel as if their ego functions are inadequate or harmful making them break with who they are. I have not experienced this personally. This could result in being raised in a household with conflicting types as parents.
    It's interesting that you'd suggest that ego block overindulgence would result in either extreme intro or extraversion. The creative function's purpose is to supporr the lead but its also the job of the creative to reach out to others. In the case of an introverted creative function, to create the context in which sociability is of most comfort.

    Your theory regarding overindulgence of the other blocks was cool

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Posts
    1,205
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I didn't have a nice childhood, but how my sister and I coped with it was highly different, I'd say we both went too base function.
    She had many friends, tried anything that could look like a good time to her detriment and that of many others. I know she bullied other kids in school. Yeah, she was the pretty mean girl who took advantages of nerds for homework and yelled at teachers. Some were shocked learning we are sisters, lol. The age gap made it so we were never in the same school grade, so I was mostly told about this.
    I hid away from the world, ignoring sensorial input from pleasure to pain. I'm still mentaly numbed by this and feel pain too much, it's how my body reacted as to keep me from harm. I lived somewhere in a bubble being indifferent to the world around me. I strangely never lacked friends somehow but I was never truly part of the relationship. They picked me for some reason and I just went with it. Here, super ego compensation happened, I'd study, gather informations, and analyse things in order to maintain those relationships. It was like a job. Never occured I could choose not to, idk why, it seemed to be a path straight to doom.
    I can't count the times I was so high up in lala land that I felt like I teleported around. I never got lost, never got in trouble, was just unsettlingly unaware of my suroundings.
    I hate driving because I try so hard to be aware of my suroundings that it causes stress to the point it's exhausting. Don't want to "teleport" in a random house, lol.

    I see it more as repressing instead of overindulging, but I guess it's a matter of point of view and it prolly means the same. It created an impression of lack instead of too much for me.
    Too much Ni can be very low on personality. Everything seems lacking and worthless in the long run, nothing is fun, there's just death and decay waiting around every corner.
    I met some who did indulge in the dreadful, it wasn't my case.

  17. #17
    Stray Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    816
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adage View Post
    I didn't have a nice childhood, but how my sister and I coped with it was highly different, I'd say we both went too base function.
    She had many friends, tried anything that could look like a good time to her detriment and that of many others. I know she bullied other kids in school. Yeah, she was the pretty mean girl who took advantages of nerds for homework and yelled at teachers. Some were shocked learning we are sisters, lol. The age gap made it so we were never in the same school grade, so I was mostly told about this.
    I hid away from the world, ignoring sensorial input from pleasure to pain. I'm still mentaly numbed by this and feel pain too much, it's how my body reacted as to keep me from harm. I lived somewhere in a bubble being indifferent to the world around me. I strangely never lacked friends somehow but I was never truly part of the relationship. They picked me for some reason and I just went with it. Here, super ego compensation happened, I'd study, gather informations, and analyse things in order to maintain those relationships. It was like a job. Never occured I could choose not to, idk why, it seemed to be a path straight to doom.
    I can't count the times I was so high up in lala land that I felt like I teleported around. I never got lost, never got in trouble, was just unsettlingly unaware of my suroundings.
    I hate driving because I try so hard to be aware of my suroundings that it causes stress to the point it's exhausting. Don't want to "teleport" in a random house, lol.

    I see it more as repressing instead of overindulging, but I guess it's a matter of point of view and it prolly means the same. It created an impression of lack instead of too much for me.
    Too much Ni can be very low on personality. Everything seems lacking and worthless in the long run, nothing is fun, there's just death and decay waiting around every corner.
    I met some who did indulge in the dreadful, it wasn't my case.
    Repression and overindulgment seem to be an enemy to a person's moderation and/or balance.

    My dad is Ni-dom and there may be a tendency for strong Ni types to believe perfection can be attained but not necessarily in the world we, today, live in. Rather than engage, an Ni-dom might prefer the comfort of their imagination where that perfect world probably does exist.

    I'm not an Ni-dom so I can only guess

  18. #18
    Handler of Choronzon
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    TIM
    Te goblin
    Posts
    514
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Speaking for myself:

    Overindulging Ni seems to make time stand still. There is a propensity to see things through to completion in my mind, so then the future feels like it has already happened and thus I don’t end up doing anything because the present and nigh feels like the past. It makes me feel jaded. Also, relying too much on Ni without Se means if I can’t get moving I will change my values to align with my inertia. It’s like being stuck in a time loop.

    Overindulging Fi creates emotional upset. To pay attention to Fi at all indicates a problem for me, and it feels like my world is turned upside down (after typing that I realize that’s the structure of model A, so points to Aushra). To overindulge probably means severe mental health issues.

    I have become quite an addict nowadays.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Posts
    1,205
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stray Cat View Post
    Repression and overindulgment seem to be an enemy to a person's moderation and/or balance.

    My dad is Ni-dom and there may be a tendency for strong Ni types to believe perfection can be attained but not necessarily in the world we, today, live in. Rather than engage, an Ni-dom might prefer the comfort of their imagination where that perfect world probably does exist.

    I'm not an Ni-dom so I can only guess
    Yes, there can be this impression there's a better world somewhere else, or not being born in the right time, that if only this happened... too much Ni makes it that we won't make things happen, we won't take destiny in our own hands.
    I studied different cultures in hope of finding better, but meh, they all got problems.
    Engaging honestly in the here and now can make life pretty good, maybe even perfect in its own particular form but it won't be the cold and rigid imagined perfect.
    Even my imagined perfect worlds spoiled overtime because that's just not right. It's sort of like stories where life comes to pick up someone from a rather not great life and the person gets thrown into action and grandiosity without having moved a finger. They suddenly get all that they want but they did nothing to get there, they only followed destiny.
    They aren't the maker of their destiny but the victim of it.
    There's something special snowflake-y about it, others are only accessories without will either, it's all destiny and no one can really do anything about it. But in imagination, the person imagining is the maker of destiny, lol, it's hypocritical in a way but it's doesn't feel like there's any control being held over any events, similar to how some author or artist say what they did came to them.

    Tho giving a cool destiny to all the town's people would be a long exercise, it's closer to reality.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,418
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I over indulge Fi quite a bit, but recently I over indulged it to the point of potential physical harm. Pretty much I was listening to a song that I hadn't heard in a long time and I cried so hard at hearing it that I breathed in and out really fast and heavy, most of my body especially my legs and face went numb from vibrating so much and I could barely open my mouth, I was afraid of what was going on but slowly I got feeling back in my face and legs. I looked up what happened because it freaked me out, and learned that I hyperventilated from breathing too hard in and out so fast, I was essentially breathing in my own CO2, which stopped blood flow to parts of my body. Before I looked it up I was confused on whether or not I was having a spiritual experience and whether or not music is actually a drug, because while the whole thing was happening I felt high as a kite. I indulged my emotions a little too much in the moment.
    Last edited by Lord Pixel; 02-25-2022 at 05:52 AM.

  21. #21
    dewusional entitwed snowfwake VewyScawwyNawcissist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    uNdeR yOur SkIn
    TIM
    NF 6w5-4w5-1w9 VLEF
    Posts
    3,279
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    what happens if u overindulge in multiple functions simultaneously? it has come to me that if u want to grow in one way u need to grow in others otherwise u hit a wall.
    Ji can be stuck in its convictions and not change. this can result in depression and loathing of self and everything because if something's wrong then everything's wrong bc things are RELATED (which is justified, but not all there is, and Ji PoLRs have a bad habbit of just ignoring that reality)
    people also tend to have the nasty habit of killing their old self to replace it with a new one isntead of building on top, as if the previous thing was worthless on its own. if nothing matters enough to hold on to it then what does it matter to hold on to it in the first place? Thats why Pe doms keep going places yet not getting anywhere.
    every fucntion indulged without growth and proper integration of the rest goes to inertia
    https://linktr.ee/tehhnicus
    Jesus is King stops black magic and closes portals

    self diagnosed ASD, ADHD, schizotypal/affective


    Your face makes your brain and sociotype – how muscle use shapes personality

    I want to care
    if I was better I’d help you
    if I was better you’d be better

    Human Design 2/4 projector life path 1




  22. #22
    Hot Scalding Gayser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The evolved form of Warm Soapy Water
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    14,931
    Mentioned
    662 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    I feel like overindulging in Se makes IEI a Ted Bundy, or in a more passive sense, you use a razor blade on yourself, intlicting self-harm. Ti makes you a pedantic rule following beta. Ni is like you don't feel the need to go out bed and interact with anything, for weeks
    Well actually physically harming people and really enjoying it often requires a certain type of sensorhood to me. Sadism + sensor mix. But yeah I think unhealthy IEI will overly empathize with the Ted Bundies of the world and be too mean and unfair with normal Karens that just want to peacefully raise their children at Wal-Mart or whatever. ((but to be fair Normie Karens don't make things easy for IEIs either...))

    Dancing with darkness on paper can be quite thrilling but in reality it's usually just cold and upsetting. (for the victim, obviously) IEIs are good at understanding dark roleplay and 'this is only a fantasy thing' and SLEs would stay out of prison more if they learned how to keep shit in their own heads so much instead of actually having to do it lol.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •