epic gamer moment banmeplssssssss's Avatar
    TIM
    ESI-Ne
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ILE that hates mathematics?

I've been reading about ILEs and Ne/Ti and one thing I seem to notice is that a lot of them are very mathematically inclined, and that Ti is the most mathematical function and whatnot. I believe I'm ILE, but all my life I have known one thing, and it's that I hate math and have always struggled with it. I have never been good at it, especially starting in 5/6th grade when they started implementing Common Core standards here in the states. It has always been my biggest point of frustration in school and I have just never understood it. When I am able to understand the problems then it's fun I guess, but when it gets too complicated or long or strenuous, then I can't even bear it, it's just constant frustration, like in my head I'm like, "Can I just skip this problem or burn this homework?!?! I've been on this problem for an entire hour and I am LITERALLY pulling my hair out of frustration and I just want to go do something fun now!!!!"

Is this maybe like an Ne subtype thing vs. standard ILE or Ti subtype ILE? I heard that they have way more Ne and Fe, and they kind of just disregard Ti to an extent and kind of just put it off to the side sometimes. I mean also though, my favorite classes in school were recess, lunch, PE, and that's about it haha, kind of just embodies enneagram 7 more than anything to be honest. I feel like my enneagram would make me dislike math more than the usual ILE maybe, since math is not really the most e7 thing in the world maybe?? (more like e5 thing)

I feel like the ILE-Ti subtypes would be far better at math than an ILE-Ne for instance. I know an ILE-Ti who is sort of like me, we have a lot of the same interests and we sort of act exactly the same, but he is way more scientifically inclined than me, obsessed with physics and incredibly complex logical theorems, and he's always surprisingly more talkative and extroverted then I am, but terrible at social cues compared to me; people have told me I am a 'charming' and 'charismatic' dude, and the words reserved for him have been 'awkward' and 'socially unskilled' even though he is very talkative. He's incredibly logical and smart but he's actually not that serious of a person sometimes, he can be really goofy and loud at times, sometimes even way more than me. We were both interested in game development, but he actually had the focus and logical problem-solving skills to dedicate himself to doing it for more than 10 minutes, unlike me who would play around with it and experiment with everything, having a ton of ideas and optimism about how the game was going to be in my head while I was setting up the program, and then basically give up when any really complicated stuff like coding or even basic development tools got in the way lol. I've only been able to make games through basic drag-and-drop stuff, I have never been good at coding lol

Anyways, any ILEs here that are bad at math or super logical stuff like math/physics/science/etc? Not necessarily 'dislike', but specifically are not skilled at it or have consistently performed badly in classes like so? Being bad at those classes might indicate lack of Ti, but I know plenty of xLIs who are insanely skilled at math and programming, far beyond any of my abilities, so I'm curious to see what other ILEs might have to say about it

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Ok. Where is the problem? Do you have problems with wanting to parse equations in bottom up way? I have that. However once I know what they are chasing for I can generate reasoning in my head without detailed visual parsing if that makes sense. I just take my own approach.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

The more you notice facts against basics of types theory - the more chance that types are other.
    I recommend to make a typing video.

TIM
    ESI-Ne
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    The more you notice facts against basics of types theory - the more chance that types are other.
    I recommend to make a typing video.
    How do I go about doing that? Do I answer a set of questions with my face present or something? Where can I find the questions? Do you guys like track my face and my eyes and movements for VI or something?

The only types I can think of for myself are ILE and ILI for sure, and no others; I am not interested in talking about emotional stuff with people or how people relate to each other, and I love working on projects and stuff with logical stuff like computers and coding and problem-solving (computers have been my lifelong obsession), but I am not a very focused individual in ILI fashion and I am way too loud and fun-loving and personable and scattered to be an ILI. I am also not very attentive to the consequences of my actions and I commonly jump into things without thinking, which disregards Ni. I am not forceful with people and refuse to be, and do not know power structures or whatever that means so I don't think I am Se. Both ILIs I have known closely are very skilled at mathematical things and can dedicate a lot of focus on proficiency in things, meanwhile I'm just really scattered and doing a million things at once with a shit-ton of ideas which seems to eliminate all other functions but Ne. People have also told me I argue a lot and do not ever 'pay attention to facts or evidence' willingly, so I really don't think I could be a Te-valuing IEE. People say I talk way too much and half the time they never know what I'm talking about at all since I'm just so scattered going off on a million ideas.

The only thing I can think of is ILE-Ne, since the type seems to embody me pretty well. I like the name of it, 'inventor'. I've always been obsessed with inventing stuff and coming up with ideas for new inventions or stuff like that (of course I have never gotten around to implementing it lol). I was just asking if there were other ILEs that struggled with math, but I'll still try out the typing video

TIM
    ESI-Ne
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Existential Ibuprofen View Post
    Ok. Where is the problem? Do you have problems with wanting to parse equations in bottom up way? I have that. However once I know what they are chasing for I can generate reasoning in my head without detailed visual parsing if that makes sense. I just take my own approach.
    No I was just wondering if there was any other ILEs that struggled with math, since I read that they were usually skilled at it, yet I can't seem to find any other type but ILE for me. I haven't done math in a while, last I did it I was actually pretty proficient at it, but I was just theorizing about ILEs and math since I read something about them being amazing at it, while I am not the greatest at it. Usually I just have problems figuring out where to start on the problem, but once I get hands-on help from someone walking me through it, then I just get the pattern and then learn it perfectly then. When I come across a problem I don't know I just try to throw a bunch of different approaches at the wall, but they only teach one method in schools and you also are expected to do the exact method or you will get points off for the problem.

Actually now that I think about it, often what I will do is a lengthy process to get to the answer, like some random process I just came up with in my head through on-the-spot thinking, I will get the correct answer, but I will get the question wrong because it was not in the specific process that the teacher insisted we do. Then I have to actually pay attention to what they did. I usually have to get one-on-one help from teachers, or doing interactive learning, because I am always so unfocused and trying to entertain myself with a million different things and friends and observations that I always miss some crucial step. When I get one-on-one help with someone then I usually pick up on math concepts very quickly.

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Well. I kind of struggled with long proofs that were about repeating it. I kind of had a knack for finding unusual proofs that no one expected - sometimes drastically shorter but I usually need a novel insight.
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

imo ILEs often don't like super logical things like maths because it's way too boring for them and Ne-ego needs things fresh, interesting and new. I don't know much about advanced math but math usually isn't like that. 2+2 = 4 and Ne can't make it be anything else... although I think there are some subjects of math that are more Ne-ish, for the most part it's like that. They seem to much rather go to a restaurant with a SEI or IEI than work on something super logical like that. They really like inventing their own systems though I think, but doing math homework is kinda just learning about what other people already figured out which does nothing to stimulate their Ne lol.

ILEs are often also suckers for affection and empathy and human caring cuz the Fi polr- wants to be shown how to have those things or something. And well math obviously doesn't care about you it's just numbers lololol. So anyway it doesn't surprise me at all that an ILE wouldn't be into it.

dewusional entitwed snowfwake VewyScawwyNawcissist's Avatar
    TIM
    NF 6w5-4w5-1w9 VLEF
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i know ILE was frustrated with math but he didnt give a shit about it for a long time. its not that he couldnt grasp it but it got frustrating/boring to him so he had missed a lot of material.
    https://linktr.ee/tehhnicus
    Jesus is King stops black magic and closes portals

self diagnosed ASD, ADHD, schizotypal/affective

Your face makes your brain and sociotype – how muscle use shapes personality

I want to care
    if I was better I’d help you
    if I was better you’d be better

Human Design 2/4 projector life path 1

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My uncle is ILE-Ne and he is bad at and dislikes math. He is a pro at vocabulary and general knowledge though (also history). He could go to a TV contest.

Handler of Choronzon
    TIM
    Te goblin
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could be dyscalculia. Basically dyslexia but for maths.

TIM
    ILE-De
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you start off good at math in school, you tend to like it. If you aren't good at it, you don't like it. Usually ILE's tend to be good at it, since math is generally done through abstract concepts and logical frameworks that ILE's typically are adept at. Though at the end of the day it's a trend, not a guarantee.

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

When you go more towards academical direction it becomes frustrating BS because it can not be seen as a tool anymore. Especially if you go to towards initializing subtype. Again this perspective is shared among most scientists. It can be useful to polish proof skills in abstract (like knowing how it goes) anyway.
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type