Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ukraine Question

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It's no secret that Putin is running out of experienced troops, nor is a secret that most of the casualties are from the Asiatic provinces, since Russia is, at heart, a racist, elitist empire. Not too many casualties from Moscow or St. Petersburg. The elites seem to be able to avoid military service, very much like our own recent President Bone-Spurs.
    Most of the best troops are dead, so what kind of guys are left?

Here is an interview with a Russian POW:

And what is the near-term plan of the Russian master race? Some people think that it's going to be the Zerg rush:

https://twitter.com/mdmitri91/status...Cy0ebdrZsqAAAA
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 05-02-2022 at 06:58 PM.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.economist.com/united-sta...y-is-depleting

Some interesting insights about the resource limitations of supplying and producing weaponry.

This is an artillery war, and Ukraine just received a treasure trove of advanced artillery from the West:

https://www.economist.com/europe/202...ole-in-ukraine

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    https://www.economist.com/united-sta...y-is-depleting

Some interesting insights about the resource limitations of supplying and producing weaponry.

This is an artillery war, and Ukraine just received a treasure trove of advanced artillery from the West:

https://www.economist.com/europe/202...ole-in-ukraine
    @xerx You gotta share your login for credentials with us if you keep posting links to The Economist. I’m pretty sure you’re the only one here with a subscription

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Poptart View Post
    @xerx You gotta share your login for credentials with us if you keep posting links to The Economist. I’m pretty sure you’re the only one here with a subscription
    Just turn off JavaScript and refresh the page.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    Just turn off JavaScript and refresh the page.
    Ok I’ll try that

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...ts-2022-05-04/

^ Some progress: A new proposal to sanction Russian oil, but it will be some time (months) before it's phased in—too little too late, and not nearly in time to reverse Putin's invasion. We really got caught with our pants down. And we got terribly lucky that Russia's invasion was bungled so catastrophically.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The United States is running low on Stinger missiles and Javelins. It may have given away a third of its Javelin stockpile. Factories are short on raw materials and workers, and it will take some time (maybe years) to replenish its stockpile.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Park View Post
    /tweet]1513568585515298816[/tweet]

[tweet]1518639672112558080[/tweet/

@Park, I'm not sure what you're saying here.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just fuck off already, @Adam Strange.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    school shooter one
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As usual it’s the common ppl who lose with war. It’s a good thing this is happening though, because it is bringing to light the fact that war still happens, and this one in particular is being led by NATO. And that censorship is rampant but varied opinions are but a skip and a hop away. Things need to get worse before they get better.

Putin who seems LSI essentially lacks common sense and/or doesn’t seem to care Western media would jump on Russia for it, but yeah he is still lacking also what should be common ethics and killing people in 2022 whether or not you think he’s being “unfairly” spotlighted for it while NATO/US leaders weren’t. Just because someone is a whipping boy doesn’t mean they didn’t walk right into the position and don’t deserve the whipping.
    how to enlarge your dragon, click here

Quote Originally Posted by End View Post
    get ready to get cucked
    Quote Originally Posted by roger557 View Post
    got this Socionics stuff caught by the balls

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

@Park, I'm just curious as to why you are sympathetic to Putin's perspective and concerns. I really, truly, am curious.

I understand that you don't like the war, and that you said that Russians are suffering, and that the war is the fault of the U.S.

Do you believe that if we let Putin take over Ukraine, the suffering of Russians and Ukrainians will cease? You know, when the Russian army is pushed out of Ukrainian cities, the places look like a crime scene. Also, the Russians don't seem to have a lot of Ukrainian prisoners for some reason.

Yes, I'm just curious why you hold the views that you do.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Here is a great series of threads by Kamil Galeev, a guy who has brought a lot of historical analysis to Russia's war against Ukraine. I've found them to be very helpful in understanding how Russian society functions, and how Putin probably thinks.

I've been following a number of analysts, and Galeev's name gets mentioned a lot.

https://threadreaderapp.com/user/kamilkazani

And while we are trying to understand Russia, here is a Finnish Intelligence officer's analysis.

https://ricochet.com/1214468/finnish...ssian-mindset/
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 05-06-2022 at 03:53 AM.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I really admire Zelensky. He has a human quality that I respect and aspire to emulate.

TIM
    school shooter one
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like it when the media gives his name two y’s because it makes him look like a trance artist that would be playing at Coachella.

Beautiful Skyy
    how to enlarge your dragon, click here

Quote Originally Posted by End View Post
    get ready to get cucked
    Quote Originally Posted by roger557 View Post
    got this Socionics stuff caught by the balls

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EDIT: Deleted quote to Parks post because it was messing up the post, idk what happened there.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    @Park, I'm not sure what you're saying here.

He posted two videos from a hot IEE. Clearly he is just enamored with his dual and wanted to share with you.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Park, I'm just curious as to why you are sympathetic to Putin's perspective and concerns.
    Because they are logical.

I really, truly, am curious.
    Nah, you wouldn't be acting like a condescending asshole if that's what you were curious about.

I understand that you don't like the war, and that you said that Russians are suffering, and that the war is the fault of the U.S.
    I didn't say that, and it's not that simple. The US played a major role in both provoking and escalating the war. And it continues to play a major role in dragging it out, which of course, is on purpose. I've already explained why.

Do you believe that if we let Putin take over Ukraine, the suffering of Russians and Ukrainians will cease?
    See, I can't really have a rational discussion with someone who (1) makes shit up and puts words in my mouth, (2) asks me questions that are either based on a false premise or I have already answered, (3) acts like a condescending prick, and (4) buys into the warmongering narrative, confusing fabrications—such as the ones about what Putin wants to accomplish—for facts.

Yes, I'm just curious why you hold the views that you do.
    I don't think you are, but I'll answer anyway. It's probably because I know a little bit of history and my brain is capable of critical thinking.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(3) acts like a condescending prick
    I know a little bit of history and my brain is capable of critical thinking.

Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly. Did you paint your nails blue and yellow yet?

Meanwhile, Biden announces new $150 million weapons package for Ukraine. Right after Biden asks Congress for $33 billion in aid for Ukraine as war drags on.

Because, you know, Ukrainian sovereignty > problems at home.
    Last edited by Park; 05-07-2022 at 02:57 AM.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Exactly. Did you paint your nails blue and yellow yet?

Meanwhile, Biden announces new $150 million weapons package for Ukraine. Right after Biden asks Congress for $33 billion in aid for Ukraine as war drags on.

$33 billion is about 0.45% of the federal budget. By comparison, it’s about the same as the cost to the average American family as a used camera, or giving $200 to the poor.

You did give $200 to the poor last year, didn’t you? I did. Because I’m actually trying to solve the problems at home.
    But I also believe that giving money to Ukraine in their fight against a murderous invader will also solve problems at home, because Putin will not stop at Ukraine and apologists like yourself will open the door for him.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fact that it would seem that the Russians were kicked out of Kharkiv, Ukr. second largest city, in the last 72 hours with troops less spread out nationwide than in the attempted siege of Kiev 2 months ago and more condensed logistics and with less travel distances implies to me that what happened in the Ukrainian capital was really a Russian escape rather than a feint as they tried to present it to save face. People with a better eye for military operations are certain because of the destruction imparted on the inavading-retreating forces but I'm just making a note about the Kharkiv development. NATO or some security agreement with the Baltic states has become a necessity now: even with the Russians driven out of the country or back to the 24th Feb. borders, Ukr. economy has suffered greatly and should not be stalled for years to come in the event of a looming new invasion, similarly to what that video posted here with Arestovych said: the economy functions because someone is fighting well.
    Sicuramente cercherai il significato di questo.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even with more Western arms, are the Ukrainians even capable of pushing the Russians back to Russia? Zelenskyy's determination to liberate all lost territories is admirable, but if continuing the war means a perpetual stalemate (or worse—a marginal defeat for Ukraine), and if that continues to take a toll on Ukraine's people and its economy (which, at the moment, is buckling faster than Russia's), he'll have a weaker hand at whatever negotiation he'll desperately be forced into. Just a thought; I'm not terribly well-informed about what more the West can do to meaningfully strengthen Ukraine's economy.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly.
    ...I see...

Just to clarify, are you ok with people treating you badly because you, by your own standards, deserve it? Not that I will, because that's not how I want to be or what I think you need. But I'm getting some confusing messages from you here.

Did you paint your nails blue and yellow yet?
    No. Have you?

I'm aware.

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe it's both / and.

Where would you like to have that money go instead?
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't waste your time. He's just a kid who sees history as a reality show that can be discussed while rubbing sweaty palms in anticipation of the next episode in the hope that there will be even more blood in it. It makes no sense to support this unhealthy excitement, sooner or later it will reach the limit and burn itself out.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Gabin View Post
    Don't waste your time. He's just a kid who sees history as a reality show that can be discussed while rubbing sweaty palms in anticipation of the next episode in the hope that there will be even more blood in it. It makes no sense to support this unhealthy excitement, sooner or later it will reach the limit and burn itself out.
    Projection can be so revealing sometimes.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Right now, the Moscow elite are using soldiers enlisted from the oriental provinces to fight their war against Ukraine. These soldiers are experiencing huge losses and most military analysts say that Russia will need 200-300 thousand more troops to turn Ukraine into the kind of subjugated wasteland that constitutes the majority of Russia outside of Moscow and St. Petersburg.

BUT, a general Russian mobilization will include some of the sons of the elites. So, what do these elites have to say about this dismaying prospect now?

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/s...DRlfXl9KIqAAAA

It seems as though not everyone is a big fan of Russian recruitment centers.

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/stat...O-9fWPyKAqAAAA

A heart-to-heart talk with the Russian elites:

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2022/...-elites-a77587
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 05-08-2022 at 09:53 PM.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I work with five brilliant Russians and one of them told me today that he was feeling bad about the political situation, meaning Russia’s war against Ukraine. He’s been in the States for eight years, but his parents still live in Russia.

He said that it was almost impossible to talk to his parents. He said, “You know, how sometimes if you tell someone something for six months, no matter what it is, they will just believe it, no matter how stupid it is?”
    ”Not everyone is like this. Some people use logic. They can figure things out. But many are like this.”
    He was talking about state propaganda.
    ”I was born in 1984, and by 1994, many people could see, things were getting better. Maybe politicians would do something, and it would turn out bad, but you hope, next time they do something, maybe it will turn out good. So there was hope.
    But then came Putin, and in 2007, especially 2008, you could see things were just getting worse. I think, for young people born after 1999, they don’t have any hope. They have just seen things getting worse.
    The economy is based on stealing.”
    This guy is an LIE-0.
    “Lazy people steal because they don’t want to work hard. Success only depends on who you know. There is no reason for ordinary people to work hard, because if you succeed”, he made a sweeping, gathering gesture with his arms, “someone will just steal what you have. They will take it from you.”
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 05-10-2022 at 02:17 AM.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another Russian billionaire found dead under “mysterious” circumstances. Alexander Subbotin, former executive at Lukoil, died after seeking a hangover cure from two Russian shamans who “treated” him with toad venom.
    https://www.newsweek.com/russian-oli...-1704909?amp=1
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...umstances.html

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Another Russian billionaire found dead under “mysterious” circumstances. Alexander Subbotin, former executive at Lukoil, died after seeking a hangover cure from two Russian shamans who “treated” him with toad venom.
    https://www.newsweek.com/russian-oli...-1704909?amp=1
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...umstances.html

Who knew that being a Russian billionaire carried such a high threat of suicide?

Now, to
    1. Suicide by falling out of a fourth story window
    2. Suicide by Polonium injection
    3. Suicide by poisoned tea
    4. Suicide by being axe-murdered
    5. Suicide by hanging in your garden,

we now have to add "Suicide by toad poison."

Maybe Putin, a Russian billionaire himself, can explore "Suicide by lead poisoning"?

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://youtu.be/vL8kouI2WHQ?t=3050

CIA director suggests that no one is winning at the moment, we have a stalemate / possible prolonged war of attrition, lack of non-commissioned officers a serious problem for Russia.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^.^

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ukraine is the world's largest producer of neon—a gas that's necessary in the manufacturing of microchips. It can be produced by air separation. Steel production requires oxygen, and steel plants perform air separation in order to extract oxygen from air; neon is a byproduct.

Ukraine has the largest remaining steelworks in the world (one of them is in Mariupol and under Russian siege), which allows them to produce neon at an industrial scale. These steel plants are a relic of Soviet times, as the Soviet economic system was far more capable of constructing these sorts of gargantuan mega-projects (under capitalism, it would be rather difficult to acquire the loans to cover the upfront costs, according to what I've read).

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If massive Stalinist megaprojects (like the Azovstal steelworks) are outside of the scope of capitalism, how easy would it be to setup rival neon production? If Putin gets his hands on 50% of the world's neon (or can interdict its flow out of Ukraine).... I can't imagine that being too good for West at this moment, and especially bad given the current microchip shortage. Major chip manufacturers do have a few months worth of neon reserves, FWIW.

TIM
    IEI-Fe-DCh so/sx
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A short story to illustrate the situation.

A Russian woman living in East Ukraine is calling her sister living in Russia:

- Hello. We don't know what to do! We are being bombed.
    - What? We have seen the News. No bombings in Ukraine!
    - No, but you see, we don't know what to do. Our home is shattered.
    - Why are you telling lies? No bombings in Ukraine! Russia will save you from Fascists. Wait and you will see!
    - But we have no food, nowhere to sleep...

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberpunk View Post
    A short story to illustrate the situation.

A Russian woman living in East Ukraine is calling her sister living in Russia:

- Hello. We don't know what to do! We are being bombed.
    - What? We have seen the News. No bombings in Ukraine!
    - No, but you see, we don't know what to do. Our home is shattered.
    - Why are you telling lies? No bombings in Ukraine! Russia will save you from Fascists. Wait and you will see!
    - But we have no food, nowhere to sleep...

Meanwhile, the men.

...Hi how have you been doing brother?
    ...I'm not sure what to think. My cousin has been dragged off by the Ukrainian secret service. Haven't heard from him.
    ...Well if he was fighting for the heroes of Ukraine like our national hero and mini-****** Stephan Bandera he should have been fine.
    ...That wasn't ... you don't get it ... he was called at work and told to report to military duty, but he didn't want to lose his life and sacrifice his family for the fat cats in the US.
    ...So he should pick up the gun and go fight for our neo-Nazi causes.
    ...Why don't you come here and fight them yourself.
    ...beep, beep, beep

And that's how the Ukrainian neo-nazi Azov battalion got shafted, overseas, yet again.

Which other European would like to adopt fascism and be our meat shield in our war against the East? Speak up. Don't be shy.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like clockwork Rand Paul objects to a bipartisan Senate bill

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/05/12/p...aid/index.html

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The British response to this crisis feels similar to the British opposition to Napoleon. Small but money focused (bought) opposition at key moments, at the forefront but not.
    ἀταραξία

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Like clockwork Rand Paul objects to a bipartisan Senate bill

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/05/12/p...aid/index.html
    #Russia's state TV: The hosts worry about poor Rand Paul being unfairly pegged as a pro-Kremlin politician.

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/s...41811702333445