Thread: Phonetic Associations Test (possible autism screening?)

Handler of Choronzon
    TIM
    Te goblin
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Phonetic Associations Test (possible autism screening?)

Basically, they show you some fake word and you have to provide input on what that word should most likely mean by phonetic association. Autistic people supposedly tend to score lower on this test.

https://openpsychometrics.org/tests/IPA/

Handler of Choronzon
    TIM
    Te goblin
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took this test a long time ago and scored 33. I took it again recently and scored 24.

18A99D28-1512-4E91-8322-5E2C10E011F4.jpeg

This test really hurts my brain. It took me an hour to finish it lol.

TIM
    HN-SLI-Te
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

42/50

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
    This test really hurts my brain. It took me an hour to finish it lol.
    I did it quickly, not more than 5 seconds for each word, the answer just seemed fitting for some reason, not much to analyze, I guess that's the point.

Likes being asked questions Relina's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE-Ne 7w6 sx/sp 748
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

47/50
    am surprised because they made little difference to me
    was supposedly diagnosed with autism when i was 12

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are the results from the Inventory of Phonetic Associations.
    Your score was 50 / 50. Meaning you made 50 of the associations in the way that humans are biased towards making associations between sound and meaning.
    The graph below shows how other people score on this survey.
    You can see that most people make the associations in the same way. The average score is 42.1, but you would expect the average score to be only 25 if people made associations at random. This is very interesting because there seems to be no good reason why a nonsense word should sound like it has a specific meaning.
    This has been called the "Bouba/kiki effect", read more about it on Wikipedia.
    It has been reported that this effect is not as reliable in individuals with autism, so it is possible that low scores on this inventory indicate disordered or unsual verbal development. This is still under investigation.
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep in mind I'm fluent in English and Japanese and have a little bit of background in Greek and Latin. I've probably got a little bit of an edge from that
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought this might be difficult, but the answers were intuitive. Quick and easy. 39A11DA0-6DA0-4E38-9AD0-E933AA5F6FB7.jpeg

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AWellArmedCat View Post
    Keep in mind I'm fluent in English and Japanese and have a little bit of background in Greek and Latin. I've probably got a little bit of an edge from that
    I’m so impressed by this. And jelly of it.. but not enough to actually make myself learn a second language on my own time : p

I took 3 years of Spanish and 1 year of Latin in high school, but I was far from fluent in either and I’m already forgetting everything oof.

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreymagine View Post
    I’m so impressed by this. And jelly of it.. but not enough to actually make myself learn a second language on my own time : p

I took 3 years of Spanish and 1 year of Latin in high school, but I was far from fluent in either and I’m already forgetting everything oof.
    Yeah, I mean, it takes quite a lot of motivation. I'm generally pretty bad at consistency, but I got here by basically deciding that learning Japanese was more important than any other productive thing I could do. I drop a lot of other balls when it comes to my goals, but I just make sure that no matter what, my daily Japanese study happens. If you just pick one single thing like that and don't overload yourself, I think you'll find that you can accomplish quite a bit over time. 頑張れ!
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

TIM
    SLI 5w6
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

50/50 Angular words have more hard consonants, especially at the beginning and the end. Same goes with angry words, fast words, and the like. Softer consonants like "b" are more geared towards round and slow. I have a major in English and work professionally in academia so it was pretty easy. The key, to me, also, is not to overthink it and use gut feelings.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Autistic people supposedly tend to score lower on this test.
    Your score was 44 / 50. Meaning you made 44 of the associations in the way that humans are biased towards making associations between sound and meaning.
    Damn. Guess that I can't keep blaming autism for my nonexistent social life.

Handler of Choronzon
    TIM
    Te goblin
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to the study, the avg non-autistic person scores 44/50 and the avg autistic person scores 28/50.
    And tbf, scoring higher doesn’t mean you did better or get an A+ on the test because there aren’t actually any right or wrong answers. All it is doing is comparing your input to the input of other people on something which is actually quite arbitrary. For this test to be about right/wrong answers I believe it would have to be about broader etymological associations, of which phonetic associations play only a small part.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your score was 42 / 50. Meaning you made 42 of the associations in the way that humans are biased towards making associations between sound and meaning.

The graph below shows how other people score on this survey.

You can see that most people make the associations in the same way. The average score is 42.1, but you would expect the average score to be only 25 if people made associations at random. This is very interesting because there seems to be no good reason why a nonsense word should sound like it has a specific meaning.

This has been called the "Bouba/kiki effect", read more about it on Wikipedia.

It has been reported that this effect is not as reliable in individuals with autism, so it is possible that low scores on this inventory indicate disordered or unsual verbal development. This is still under investigation.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got 35/50 on the test. I've also been diagnosed as autistic (although I highly doubt the validity of my diagnosis...). I don't think the words were picked randomly though, a huge part of them resemble other words that would be linked to one of the two options given. English is not my first language and some of the "random" words really resemble words in other languages I can speak too.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

24/50

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your score was 49 / 50. Meaning you made 49 of the associations in the way that humans are biased towards making associations between sound and meaning.