Thread: Do accents ever influence your perception of someone’s type?

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Do accents ever influence your perception of someone’s type?

Australian and rough southern english accents often sound Gamma to me for some reason

Minnesotans and Canadians sound delta/alpha

Scots sound beta
    Last edited by Averroes; 01-14-2022 at 10:45 PM.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Southern US accents make the speaker sound stupid to me, but my opinion is based on my mother's prejudices, of which she had many.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Posh British accents make the speaker sound like a God on Earth, in my opinion, but watching British politics has completely dissuaded me from that prejudice.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

South Asian (Indian) accents make me think that I've just discovered a great accountant.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Canadian accents make me think that the speaker is a human Teddy Bear.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yes, I'm from the South and I still think people with the accent sound stupid. Other accents influence my perception of people in subtle ways that are difficult to quickly pin down.

Like people from Minnesota always sound naive and happy.

I heard a guy pronounce the word request like reqwaest and I wanted to strangle him.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Without a doubt.

Southern sounds less intelligent and English sounds more. French sounds fancy and pretentious. Snobby. Spanish reminds me of partying- on the beach, darkish skin, sweat, laughing, and margaritas lol
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh, I honestly don't know how an accent affects how I view a person or their type. However, I think culture can change the way we communicate. So for example someone could seem more Fe depending on the culture (Brazil, Italy, Ghana).

I live in the midwest, we aren't very expressive typically. Communication is more subdued in my opinion.

The southern accent is fine, I don't see it as stupid. Midwest and Southern accent is fine with me and I feel more comfortable talking to them. Canadians seem so close to the midwest culturally that I feel the same way with them too.

East coast accents seem almost foreign to me.

I don't like posh British accents lol sorry. I feel the same with refined American accents, where they enunciate every part of the word.

There are some cultures that are very stratified. This clashes with my own. I've worked with people from other countries and even other parts of my own country where they expect a certain level of respect and treatment depending on their social status or position in the company. In my opinion, these people need to be brought back down to earth.

Oh, I'm sorry there is one accent I absolutely hate. It's the Boston accent. I know it's not fair.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eudaimonia View Post
    Uh, I honestly don't know how an accent affects how I view a person or their type. However, I think culture can change the way we communicate. So for example someone could seem more Fe depending on the culture (Brazil, Italy, Ghana).

I live in the midwest, we aren't very expressive typically. Communication is more subdued in my opinion.

The southern accent is fine, I don't see it as stupid. Midwest and Southern accent is fine with me and I feel more comfortable talking to them. Canadians seem so close to the midwest culturally that I feel the same way with them too.

East coast accents seem almost foreign to me.

I don't like posh British accents lol sorry. I feel the same with refined American accents, where they enunciate every part of the word.

There are some cultures that are very stratified. This clashes with my own. I've worked with people from other countries and even other parts of my own country where they expect a certain level of respect and treatment depending on their social status or position in the company. In my opinion, these people need to be brought back down to earth.

Oh, I'm sorry there is one accent I absolutely hate. It's the Boston accent. I know it's not fair.
    I thought you were from France?

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ave View Post
    I thought you were from France?

Oh no lol, that was a running joke a while back. I live in the US, sorry.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".