Thread: Book recommendation thread

TIM
    INTp 4w3 so/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Book recommendation thread

Let's make a thread, shall we? Let's say one user voices their request, and then the next post provides a recommendation.

I have nothing to recommend to you, because it's only this year that I want to get HUGELY into reading, so you know.

I'm looking for something airy, dreamy, with themes of running away, otherness, dissimilarity, finding your own voice and place in the world. Something for a small, hurt soul that I truly am. Lol.

Thanks for your inputs and happy reading!
    Formerly known as littleblackcloud!

TIM
    RLOAI?
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discohijack View Post
    I'm looking for something airy, dreamy, with themes of running away, otherness, dissimilarity, finding your own voice and place in the world. Something for a small, hurt soul that I truly am. Lol.

Seems like every best-seller's marketing campaign nowadays. You could go to a bookstore and pick the first book you can find

TIM
    all of them
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently got the Kindle version of Dario Nardi's "Neuroscience of Personality" and was marginally less disappointed than I expected to be
    forsitan mea potentia increvit nimis

Restricted user
    TIM
    SLI-Si 6w5 613 sp/so
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's make a thread, shall we? Let's say one user voices their request, and then the next post provides a recommendation.

I have nothing to recommend to you, because it's only this year that I want to get HUGELY into reading, so you know.

The book you're looking for is Battlefield Earth.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

You might like any of the “Amber” books by Roger Zelazny. I think the first one is “Nine Princes in Amber”.

Another possibility are any of “The Dying Earth” books by Jack Vance. While not set in that universe, you can get a flavor of them by his short story “Green Magic”, which I found online.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    You might like any of the “Amber” books by Roger Zelazny. I think the first one is “Nine Princes in Amber”.
    That's the only series of books that I read twice. Chris "Corey" Carl Corey....

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chriscorey View Post
    That's the only series of books that I read twice. Chris "Corey" Carl Corey....
    I couldn’t get into the Amber series myself, but Zelazny was inside my head when I met my ex-wife and he wrote “Itself Surprised.”
    For me, that was a momentous short story. I believe he wrote the story after he learned that he had terminal cancer.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I couldn’t get into the Amber series myself, but Zelazny was inside my head when I met my ex-wife and he wrote “Itself Surprised.”
    For me, that was a momentous short story. I believe he wrote the story after he learned that he had terminal cancer.
    Have you read Lord of Light? that's another good one. I love Yama "death God"

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think that was another book I tried to read but failed on page three.

It’s weird how some authors can write the best stuff and also the most unengaging.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that was another book I tried to read but failed on page three.

It’s weird how some authors can write the best stuff and also the most unengaging.
    Really? That one won the hugo award for best novel. I really liked it.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Really? That one won the hugo award for best novel. I really liked it.
    I think I tried reading it three times and ground to a halt each time.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I tried reading it three times and ground to a halt each time.
    Well to each his own

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Well to each his own

Socionics provided me with an explanation for why certain books were popular when I thought they were unreadable. What surprises me is when one author can be at times fantastic and at other times unreadable.

Poul Anderson wrote “The Man Who Came Early”, a great, great short story, and he wrote a few entertaining adventure stories, but he also wrote some terrible junk.

Maybe it’s compatible to music’s “one hit wonders”.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Socionics provided me with an explanation for why certain books were popular when I thought they were unreadable. What surprises me is when one author can be at times fantastic and at other times unreadable.

Poul Anderson wrote “The Man Who Came Early”, a great, great short story, and he wrote a few entertaining adventure stories, but he also wrote some terrible junk.

Maybe it’s compatible to music’s “one hit wonders”.
    My impression of Zelazny's writing is that he was Ne ego. Does that sound right to you and @chriscorey?

Handler of Choronzon
    TIM
    Te goblin
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.amazon.com/Crème-Brûlée-.../dp/1846014794

fuuuck thats the kind of reading i need right now

Handler of Choronzon
    TIM
    Te goblin
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff

it’s a sweet and insightful book

Restricted user
    TIM
    SLI-Si 6w5 613 sp/so
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Highly recommend Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins. No book, not a single other book, has mobilized me into changing my mindset half as fast as this one. It's powerful.

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Are we talking fiction or non-fiction? Anyone who knows me knows the two non-fiction books I'd recommend. "Slaying Your Fear: A Guide for People Who Grapple with Insecurity" by Adam Lane Smith and "No More Mister Nice Guy" by Dr. Robert Glover. Those two books were literally the final pieces of a puzzle I'd been trying to piece together for over a decade.

If you're depressed and/or suffer from anxiety issues the meds won't fix them no matter how hard that charlatan you call a therapist tells you. They treat the symptoms. They're supposed to enable you to get over the hump and actually fix the underlying issue. What is/are the underlying issue/issues? They never told you that part for good reason. Because if they did you'd just fix that and be done with the meds immediately and forevermore thereby. Ain't no money or avenues of control in that. If you want a happy marriage/partnership/whatever floats your boat you owe it to yourself to fix the issues those books tell you both about and how to fix. Only you (with the aid and grace of the one true and eternal God) can save yourself. Only those who can save themselves can ever hope to save others. Vanquishing all my many and myriad vices in record time now that I know what I must do to ensure I can actually realize a happy life both for myself and all whom I deign to give a fuck about!

If we're talking fiction I'd highly recommend "The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane" by the immortal Robert E. Howard. All the stories involving the Avenging Puritan in one tome. Everyone and their grandma knows him for "Conan the Barbarian" but before there was Conan there was Solomon Kane. If only the IRL Puritans were but a tenth of a percent as awesome, badass, and as actually devoted to the one true God as he was we may not be living in clown world right now...

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    My impression of Zelazny's writing is that he was Ne ego. Does that sound right to you and @chriscorey?
    Yeah he seems so.
    The mind is restless and difficult to restrain, but it is subdued by practice

-Krishna

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah he seems so.
    I have a certain idea that authors can be typed by their demonstrative in their writing. I'm not 100% sure he was xII, but I'd tentatively go with that over ENxP. Zelazny plays with multiple levels of meaning, and with existential theological/philosophical questions, to such a level that proves he's obviously proficient with Ni, but even so it's all still play and all directed in the service of Ne. In Lord of Light Sam's sermon equating true morality to aesthetics -- that strikes me as an Alpha NT line of thought (the quote in my signature expresses a similar idea for instance), and even though Sam distances himself from it (as an Ne ego distances himself from Ni questions, even after pursuing them himself) I wonder how much of that was the author's own views creeping in.

Restricted user
    TIM
    SLI-Si 6w5 613 sp/so
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by End View Post
    Are we talking fiction or non-fiction? Anyone who knows me knows the two non-fiction books I'd recommend. "Slaying Your Fear: A Guide for People Who Grapple with Insecurity" by Adam Lane Smith and "No More Mister Nice Guy" by Dr. Robert Glover. Those two books were literally the final pieces of a puzzle I'd been trying to piece together for over a decade.

If you're depressed and/or suffer from anxiety issues the meds won't fix them no matter how hard that charlatan you call a therapist tells you. They treat the symptoms. They're supposed to enable you to get over the hump and actually fix the underlying issue. What is/are the underlying issue/issues? They never told you that part for good reason. Because if they did you'd just fix that and be done with the meds immediately and forevermore thereby. Ain't no money or avenues of control in that. If you want a happy marriage/partnership/whatever floats your boat you owe it to yourself to fix the issues those books tell you both about and how to fix. Only you (with the aid and grace of the one true and eternal God) can save yourself. Only those who can save themselves can ever hope to save others. Vanquishing all my many and myriad vices in record time now that I know what I must do to ensure I can actually realize a happy life both for myself and all whom I deign to give a fuck about!

If we're talking fiction I'd highly recommend "The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane" by the immortal Robert E. Howard. All the stories involving the Avenging Puritan in one tome. Everyone and their grandma knows him for "Conan the Barbarian" but before there was Conan there was Solomon Kane. If only the IRL Puritans were but a tenth of a percent as awesome, badass, and as actually devoted to the one true God as he was we may not be living in clown world right now...
    I second No More Mr. Nice Guy. Actually should give it a re-read after these past few years, definitely worth a refresher.

dewusional entitwed snowfwake VewyScawwyNawcissist's Avatar
    TIM
    NF 6w5-4w5-1w9 VLEF
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"the art of learning" by Josh Waitzkin
    "we want to live - the primal diet" by Aajonus Vonderplanitz
    https://linktr.ee/tehhnicus
    Jesus is King stops black magic and closes portals

self diagnosed ASD, ADHD, schizotypal/affective

Your face makes your brain and sociotype – how muscle use shapes personality

I want to care
    if I was better I’d help you
    if I was better you’d be better

Human Design 2/4 projector life path 1

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mein Kampf by A. Hitlęr. Pure EIE. Its heavy reading though, very intense imo. I could only read 80 pages and then I had to stop.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

All Systems Red, by Martha Wells

A direct line into the head of an ILI.
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 01-10-2022 at 02:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Midnight Library - Matt Haif
    My Year of Rest and Relaxation - Ottessa Moshfegh

Both are fiction novels about depression, but entirely different in tone. The first is more lighthearted while the second is dark (but in a dark-comedy sort of way). I liked reading both.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone read Thomas Pynchon? If so, worth reading or no?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    Has anyone read Thomas Pynchon? If so, worth reading or no?
    Yes, I read Gravity's Rainbow, and I thought it was a work of pure genius. I'm tempted to regard it as one of my favorite reads. The only thing that would keep me from doing so is one disgusting scene that occurs partway through the book.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I picked up a random book of short stories at the local bookshop with the fascinating title The Return of Count Electric. I imagined that it might be a tongue-in-cheek romp through a Steampunk universe, in the same vein as Michael Swanwick's "Darger and Surplus" stories, but no.

The title story was extremely well written, in the style of an intelligent LII, but I should have read the reviews first. Instead of being an entertaining comedy, it was one story of many, in which

"Offbeat plots and characterizations strengthen a collection of 11 tales featuring the usual bunch of loners, sociopaths and psychotics who have spread hints of menace and violence through countless modern short stories."

It was a story of an emotionally flat-lined psycho-sexual serial killer, and all too realistic. Not what I was expecting.

Reading it completely spoiled my morning.