Thread: Directionless/Purposeless Gammas?

TIM
    Ne-IEE-H
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Directionless/Purposeless Gammas?

Delta here and curious.

How rare is it for Gamma quadra to not know what they want to do in life by, say, their mid-20s? i mean a calling, not necessarily a career. every Gamma i know seems to have already found AT LEAST ONE social mission that they are dead set on enacting (e.g. environmentalism), or some discipline they'll devote their life to (e.g. music production) -- either of which they're actively practicing or taking steps towards, and will likely pursue for the rest of their life.

Is it even possible for a Gamma to not at least know what they want to do by their adulthood? what kind of circumstances would cause this? what does it look like or feel like? what is it that they need in order to find out?
    "The emperor of the South Sea was called Shu [Brief], the emperor of the North Sea was called Hu [Sudden], and the emperor of the central region was called Hun-tun [Chaos]. Shu and Hu from time to time came together for a meeting in the territory of Hun-tun, and Hun-tun treated them very generously. Shu and Hu discussed how they could repay his kindness. "All men," they said, "have seven openings so they can see, hear, eat, and breathe. But Hun-tun alone doesn't have any. Let's trying boring him some!" Every day they bored another hole, and on the seventh day Hun-tun died."

May look like an LSI, but -Te. Metaphor's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-LIE-NH
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe not that rare. Yes. A lot. Many things.
    Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel: "The history of the world is none other than the progress of the consciousness of freedom."

TIM
    Ne-IEE-H
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could you be more specific please?
    "The emperor of the South Sea was called Shu [Brief], the emperor of the North Sea was called Hu [Sudden], and the emperor of the central region was called Hun-tun [Chaos]. Shu and Hu from time to time came together for a meeting in the territory of Hun-tun, and Hun-tun treated them very generously. Shu and Hu discussed how they could repay his kindness. "All men," they said, "have seven openings so they can see, hear, eat, and breathe. But Hun-tun alone doesn't have any. Let's trying boring him some!" Every day they bored another hole, and on the seventh day Hun-tun died."

TIM
    Te-LIE-NH
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindness View Post
    Could you be more specific please?
    Depends on what you mean by being specific. So, what do I need to elaborate?
    Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel: "The history of the world is none other than the progress of the consciousness of freedom."

TIM
    Ne-IEE-H
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CecaniahTzu View Post
    Depends on what you mean by being specific. So, what do I need to elaborate?
    can you give experiential examples (either your own or observed in others) of the following:
    > what kind of circumstances would cause this? what does it look like or feel like? what is it that they need in order to find out?

or if you want to describe a general pattern that you've observed or would hypothesize exists, that would be great too :]

TIM
    ILI - H/C 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like talking about purpose like it has to be something big, something great.

Someone's life purpose is just about how they want to taste good food, and it's understandable!

TIM
    Ne-IEE-H
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tarnished View Post
    I don't like talking about purpose like it has to be something big, something great.

Someone's life purpose is just about how they want to taste good food, and it's understandable!
    i agree with you here. i know it doesn't fall within the scope of the Gammas i described in my thread opener, I can see how that's misleading - but hey - that person knows what they want. they have a purpose. they're not directionless.

I'm looking specifically for Gamma experience that hasn't yet found its direction, big or small.

TIM
    ILI - H/C 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree with you here. i know it doesn't fall within the scope of the Gammas i described in my thread opener, I can see how that's misleading - but hey - that person knows what they want. they have a purpose. they're not directionless.

I'm looking specifically for Gamma experience that hasn't yet found its direction, big or small.
    I'm not sure. Everyone want to do something, as long as their mental state is stable. With one that doesn't have purpose, then seeking perpose is their purpose if they want a purpose that badly.

And even if someone really doesn't have a purpose, then we must see how that person feel about their directionless. If they feel ok with it, then it also mean they are not really directionless, they're just chilling

TIM
    ILI - H/C 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Delta here and curious.

How rare is it for Gamma quadra to not know what they want to do in life by, say, their mid-20s? i mean a calling, not necessarily a career. every Gamma i know seems to have already found AT LEAST ONE social mission that they are dead set on enacting (e.g. environmentalism), or some discipline they'll devote their life to (e.g. music production) -- either of which they're actively practicing or taking steps towards, and will likely pursue for the rest of their life.

Is it even possible for a Gamma to not at least know what they want to do by their adulthood? what kind of circumstances would cause this? what does it look like or feel like? what is it that they need in order to find out?
    To answer your question directly, I think it's not really about purpose, It's more about taking action. Gamma value Te + Se, both fuction that like to take direct action to manipulate the environment around them.

So both NT or SF gamma like taking direct action, so it make you feel they always have some clear goal to do, but not always. Type like SEE can jump in and do a lot of shit because they want to have something fun to do.
    Last edited by Tarnished; 12-26-2021 at 09:50 AM.

Will we start over, or circle the drain crazymaisy's Avatar
    TIM
    ILI-Ni GAMMA NH-c
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had many interests, singing, could have gone many directions, but I just worked in some offices until I found someone to marry when I was 26. My goal then was, stay married and have a family. And never go to an office to work again. ILI-ni best possibility. Invisible, and no interventions by outward forces as much.

My eldest, an ILI too, is at that point now, no real goal. Has interest in doing things, but no monetization of any of that. Abhors the idea of sitting behind a desk. He's working on an installation of skylights, whatever it's not great but it's something, is his feeling about it.

I have tried to talk about what he could do, encouragement, not pushy, most of his life.

I guess my model of life says more to him than any words. LOL
    Maisy
    ILI-Ni (INTp)
    I think in pictures, moving pictures...

Recommended Music - ILI-Ni

"And one peculiar point I see,
    As one of the many ones of me.
    As truth is gathered, I rearrange,
    Inside out, outside in, inside out, outside in,
    Perpetual change"

Yes - The Yes Album - from "Perpetual Change" (written by Howe and Squire)

TIM
    ILI - H/C 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazymaisy View Post
    I had many interests, singing, could have gone many directions, but I just worked in some offices until I found someone to marry when I was 26. My goal then was, stay married and have a family. And never go to an office to work again. ILI-ni best possibility. Invisible, and no interventions by outward forces as much.

My eldest, an ILI too, is at that point now, no real goal. Has interest in doing things, but no monetization of any of that. Abhors the idea of sitting behind a desk. He's working on an installation of skylights, whatever it's not great but it's something, is his feeling about it.

I have tried to talk about what he could do, encouragement, not pushy, most of his life.

This is me... lol

TIM
    Te-LIE-NH
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can you give experiential examples (either your own or observed in others) of the following:
    > what kind of circumstances would cause this? what does it look like or feel like? what is it that they need in order to find out?

or if you want to describe a general pattern that you've observed or would hypothesize exists, that would be great too :]
    I'd just do both of them and hopefully, it's not quite a bad one for a waste of potential in effectiveness:

I don't have any desire towards anything, or rather, haven't had any thus been forced by situation rather than being imposed on self. I would want to get out of this country, while living alone in a house, with no one disturbed me and not to think about the family unless when I'm actually needed since in fact, I don't think that I'm useful enough, and how about interests I do have? A lot, some of them might as well be stereotypically known by others. They praised my talent at singing, and I didn't feel anything about it, or rather, I wouldn't want to be involved any further as I didn't want to consider it as a career, let alone be a professional one.

All of those talents, seem to be wasted, since I prefer to keep it for myself rather than to share it in front of everyone, don't like the idea of seeking for this kind of approval, let alone telling that I've been doing very well in learning stuff from the internet thus trying to explicate those, such as typology for instance. I didn't have goals, neither did I have realizations of financial measurements to build those interests into something that might be useful for myself, or others, seemed to be an actual struggle towards deliberating the purpose according to the resources or interests I do possess into an action that might seem beneficial in the eyes of others, but somehow, it really isn't.

As for the latter, I noticed this the most in Gamma NT, maybe not for a certain subtype of LIE, for instance, they need to build the relationship in order to get what they want, as in, working smarter to reach the prospective target towards working on their achievements as they're fond of being productive. However, since they really don't need it in the first place, they might struggle in doing so, rather, try to cover the actual character they do possess by being someone else that they aren't, thus neglecting their goals for the sake of being accepted. As for the SEEs/ESIs, I'll let you take a peek in a scenario I do make to describe how it might be manifested in those Gamma SF:

Person A doesn't like the way how society works, since it's pointless and doesn't have any substantial effect towards their own ability in being something that is better than just a "person". As in fact, according to their point of view, they are more than just a "person". However, despite their high disgust towards the society in general, they sacrifice this purpose for its own sake, trying to sound "friendly" in front of everyone, yet not when it comes to their idealism of ethics to be elaborated in front of others. The concept of "friendship", for them, is too sincere to be neglected but don't forget that they have to force, or at least, impose this kind of ethic towards them, so they decided to rebel on society by recruiting some people who wanted to become like "them" by assessing their abilities and talents for that form of "purpose", being "holier-than-thou" form of group to be against the concept of society by using the "friendship" they do have, or rather, a strong bond to be sacrificed as one. Person B, who actually was being invited by Person A to do something as such disagreed towards this approach, and decided to think that "people are too easy to be deceived, but it also mean they can distrust us, either do we can distrust them", while trying to sacrifice their intention by sounding polite to reach the process of diplomacy according to the abilities of others, they assess the ability of people to be trusted, while trying to give a sense of being diplomatic to reach their goal, despite their goal isn't that selfish at all, which actually is similar to the Person A, but rather different by the aspect of process, as they tried to not impose what they want forcefully in the act of rejection.

it's ok, everything will be fine totalize's Avatar
    TIM
    NAPOLEON
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

i feel like work gave me a direction to an extent but political participation and relationships (platonic and romantic) are much much more meaningful than work for me and give my life a sense of purpose i think it once lacked
    CETERUM AUTEM CENSEO WASHINGTON D.C. ESSE DELENDAM

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazymaisy View Post

Kids typically do what they see their parents doing, not what their parents tell them they should be doing.

TIM
    SEIZOR
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's no reason to think Gamma would be more inclined to know their purpose versus other types. I see gamma NTs as lacking in their personal lives, they may also seem inactive. I knew a LIE woman, she was high up in a corporate position probably getting paid a lot of money, she was an executive for this company. I spoke with her and she told me about her career and her life, she would hop around from company to company all over the country. This seemed to me as just one stop before she moved on again. To me her personal life was nonexistent and she was rudderless, to her she probably thought I had no drive.

My point is that it's all a matter of perspective with these things.
    Bound upon me, rush upon me, I will overcome you by enduring your onset: whatever strikes against that which is firm and unconquerable merely injures itself by its own violence. Wherefore, seek some soft and yielding object to pierce with your darts.

-Seneca