Thread: Mists' type IxTp

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mists' type IxTp

Especially if you’re trying to find out which type you are.
    Which aspects of your personality should you look out for that specifically identifies the differences between the two types?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are very similar in many ways but some differences are as follows:

ISTp's tend to prefer action orientate events, such as playing and watching sports and they often seek excitement in whatever form, and can sometimes go against common norms and moralities. They also tend to take more risks than most.

INTp's, tend to prefer more intellectual persuits, the gathering, learning and anaylising of information about anything that interests them. They are better able to see things from different angles and can sometimes be good at predicting others behavior due to the way in which they objectively understand the world.

Hope this gives you a basic feel for the difference.
    I'm ISTp.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

//

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

//

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is your attention focused on the here-and-now or is it directed towards the future?
    I answered the future in a MBTI test I took, but I do sometimes shake myself back into reality when working on a project.

My focus is on a bit on both, but if 'directed towards the future' means a little worried about the future or dreaming of what I might be doing in the future.

Then yes my focus slightly towards the future.

But if it isn't then no.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not very good a remembering facts which is what I believe Si is all about.
    I do a lot of reading and research though.

But I don't see writing, reading, and researching Stargate fanfiction as being lazy (which let me guess "make me lazy").

My ISTp sister is like you. She spends alot of time writing, reading, and researching Stargate fanfiction. I think it's laziness, or she feels like she's living vicariously through the characters. She's planning on joining the Air Force though. One thing I'm sure of: she's NOT INTp. She's always been very Si oriented.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, memory, reading and writing can all be accosiated with Si. But I have an idea, would you mind posting a picture of yourself? Or even better, could you make a clip like this? Also, you said something that sparked my curiosity. If at all possible, do you have video of yourself playing a sport? It is usually very easy to tell the diffrence between INTP and ISTP by watching them. I know this sounds weird, but it is true.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mist987
    I'm not very good a remembering facts which is what I believe Si is all about.
    I do a lot of reading and research though.

But I don't see writing, reading, and researching Stargate fanfiction as being lazy (which let me guess "make me lazy").
    No, it's the amount of time she spends doing it to the exclusion of other things. Sorry, I guess it really is more preoccupation than laziness.

Actually, this thread does make me wonder about whether I typed my sister correctly. She's kind of klutzy (she'd be the first one to admit it) and isn't into sports at all.
    TiNe, LII, INTj, etc.
    "I feel like I should be making a sarcastic comment right now, but you're just so cute!" - Shego, Kim Possible

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, memory, reading and writing can all be accosiated with Si. But I have an idea, would you mind posting a picture of yourself? Or even better, could you make a clip like this? Also, you said something that sparked my curiosity. If at all possible, do you have video of yourself playing a sport? It is usually very easy to tell the diffrence between INTP and ISTP by watching them. I know this sounds weird, but it is true.
    I'll work on the photo, but this may take time since I'm not sure what I'm doing.

No I don't have any clips of me playing sports. But if it’s any help I do usually play in a defensive role, attacking isn't really what I'm good at strategically.
    Many hours of strategy video games has taught me that.

Speaking of attacking, I have almost no traces of the anti-social behavior described in types section.

But a few of the symptoms of Schizoid personality disorder.

I'd also like to remind you about my sort of nagging want/delusion to be an INTP when deciding my type.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The main problem with the ISTP description I have is the emphasis on an 'active' life and wanting to go out and live.
    ISTp's characteristicly focus on economy of effort and as a result tend to spend very large amounts of time relaxing, and doing things like researching topics that interest them and playing video games etc which other types commonly associate with being lazy.

No, it's the amount of time she spends doing it to the exclusion of other things. Sorry, I guess it really is more preoccupation than laziness
    It is the preoccupation of these things in preference to keeping a tidy house or putting things off until tommorrow which other types associate with lazyness when for an ISTp it is choosing to do what they would enjoy more at the time, with the objective outlook that they can do those other less desirable tasks at a later time. This is due to the 'immediate logic' ISTp's tend to use, instead of planning ahead , they make decisions based on the next step, which often leads them to pospone decisions to the latest time possible. For example, in choosing a career, they may decide to work in computing, get whatever job is available at the time, then when the time comes to progress, make the decision to follow a specific job title only when the opportunity arrises instead of actively persuing a planned change. The step by step logic is part of the ISTp's tendancy to live in and for the here and now, and opperates on a daily basis causing them to be laid back.

The 'wanting to go out and live' is reflective of the action orientation ISTp's have, for example, prefering to play a sport than watch, prefering to watch the film than read the book, prefering video games over following soaps on tv, sometimes wanting to ride a motorcycle instead of a car and also because they can be quite daring, eg jumping from high places into water for fun or driving at very high speeds or gambling large amount of money which others consider to scary or dangerous. (ISTp's are very intune with the surrounding environment and have good motor skills which typically makes them good at sports and able to get away with smaller safety margins than other types.)

Can you elaborate on those common norms and moralities? I mean give some examples
    We are all subject to the common norms and moralities given to us by other people, the mass media and government, which typically instruct us to conform to certain viewpoints, certain lifestyles and to work towards certain goals. Such as, working hard in school, getting a job and working hard to help the company you work for, getting married and having children, frowning at people who break the speed limit, frowning at people who stay on state handouts for long periods of time, etc etc etc. ISTp's often question these norms and moralities and can be suspicious and skeptical about them, wondering if they are for the good of the people or to suit some hidden agenda. Do we have our current speed limits to prevent accidents or to raise money through fines? do we have social preassure to get married because people in general really benefit from it, or is it because married couples financially help each other and therefore there is less requirement for state support? etc etc etc. ISTp's as a result are often prone to break rules which they see as unnecessary or which support an alterior motive. Examples are breaking speed limits, keeping an untidy house, not fulfilling duties at work which they can get away with, not working full time opting for part time, not doing as parents ask, driving without insurance etc etc etc

Speaking of attacking, I have almost no traces of the anti-social behavior described in types section.
    I also have no tendancy towards anti-social behavior but the above explains why some ISTp's do. A moral upbringing or simply a satisfaction of life i'm sure will keep an ISTp out of trouble but if they have had some hard luck in their life it can cause them to act out in this way. (ISTp's strongly believe in justice, equality and fairness and have an extreem dislike of being on the recieving end of bad treatment). I personally would never in a million years mug someone or rob someones house but have and would take advantage of loose supervision in the workplace. ISTp's are not all anti-social, they are just more prone to that behaviour because of the way they percieve life, which is typically very down to earth and no-nonsence with a strong dislike of injustice.
    I'm ISTp.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mist987
    I'll work on the photo, but this may take time since I'm not sure what I'm doing.

No I don't have any clips of me playing sports. But if it’s any help I do usually play in a defensive role, attacking isn't really what I'm good at strategically.
    Many hours of strategy video games has taught me that.
    I don't know how much that helps. The reason I asked was because I believe (and some people don't) that you can tell a lot about someone's type through their facial expressions, body movements, mannerisms, etc. For example, I think John Travolta is good at demonstrating xNTP. If you want to look at athletes, Manu Ginobli (NBA) and Johnny Damon (MLB) also demonstrate xNTP. For xSTPs, there are Shaq (NBA) and A-Rod (MLB). See the big diffrence between them? My point was that it would be infinatly easier to type you if we could see a video of you, instead of using some generalizations. We could go back and forth between common intrests, but you can't hide what you were born with.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ISTp vs. INTp

who's more hot headed and opinionated and stubborn, ISTps or INTps? which is the more even and casual of the two?
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they're probably about equal in that regard.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish I could answer this with total confidence, for I'm still not sure whether INTp or ISTp...

:wink:

Maybe we need more talkative ISTps here except Rocky (he isn't real ISTp, I guess).
    ex-nameless ixtp
    *** Warning - Risk of poor communication and late response.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ISTps are stubborn about doing things the way they want to do things, INTps are more stubborn when they disagree with someones reasoning.

I don't really see INTps as stubborn people. They might like to argue, but they are very open-minded to new ideas (if the idea is logical). ISTps are more stubborn.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Nessy: you're the most stubborn type

@Kristiina: you're seperation of ISTP and INTP is illogical
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kristiina's comment makes sense to me...although I don't see ISTps as being particularly stubborn either. I guess it depends on the situation.

Stubbornness is in the eye of the beholder. If you want things one way, and another person wants them another way, then the other person is being stubborn. :-)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Huh? I thought there would be a fighting video link.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan
    Kristiina's comment makes sense to me...although I don't see ISTps as being particularly stubborn either. I guess it depends on the situation.
    The first paragraph seperates the two, when both ISTP and INTP can behave like either one. The second paragraph didn't make sense because it then states that ISTPs are just right out stubborn, whereas INTPs "really" aren't stubborn, and are more open-minded. Bullshit. INTPs can be pretty stubborn in their own right (and in some cases, more so, I know this from experience. ).

Stubbornness is in the eye of the beholder. If you want things one way, and another person wants them another way, then the other person is being stubborn. :-)
    Yes... exactly, thank you.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    @Nessy: you're the most stubborn type

@Kristiina: you're seperation of ISTP and INTP is illogical
    What if the words "stubborn" and "illogical" are swiched? Like this;
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    @Nessy: you're the most illogical type

@Kristiina: you're seperation of ISTP and INTP is stubborn
    Might as well, or maybe ill.
    These two characterizing words describe least difference in this phrase besides probably different types of ours.
    What I meant to say was like this, and we have to care about this in all the circumstance.

For example, imagine when type-A is said to be so kind to everyone that one tend to sacrifice one's life for shitty people, and type-B is kind too but superficially.
    • One person looks kind and messing one's life for it, but s/he is also said to be just a pose. Which type do you think s/he is? Contrastive approach would do well, but only enough with a contrast person.
    • How much should we believe in characteristic with a strong sense by selfassessment? How can we rid narcissism or/and self-disparagement? How and how much would we be influenced by discrimination of others and ourselves?
    • If the typings are only these two and you want to type someone being greatly nasty to you, what do you do? Claim this is just clap, or invent the new type-C which is mean and nasty? Do you accept if someone says s/he is so nice actually?

And more in Socionics, functions and relations and even model theories must be considered.
    ex-nameless ixtp
    *** Warning - Risk of poor communication and late response.