Thread: Protestant Work Ethic

TIM
    Ni heavy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Protestant Work Ethic

Protestant work ethic values: diligence, industriousness, frugality, self-discipline, humility, delayed gratification, responsibility,
    prudence, moral integrity, impartiality, competence, and foresight (reasonable concern for distant consequences)

I'm writing a thesis for this topic at UCLA (I came across this topic after studying the history and behavioral aspects of social systems)

What quadra/information elements (functions)/ enneagram/ personality type would fit the values of the protestant work ethic the most?

Personally I'm thinking leaning Delta>=Gamma quadra(not sure which fits PWE more), emphasizes Te motivated by Fi, enneagram E1 and E6,
    and suits SLI, ExTJs, ILI (leaning Te sub), and ESI the most.

What would be your take? -I would welcome your perspectives here.

P.S. I'm not a market fundamentalist/ capitalist, by the way.

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think natural talent, working smart and having access to the right opportunities are more important. I don’t think most people can will their way to CEO positions/6-figure+ compensation. The guy who can automate most of his work while messing around on his computer will get further in life than the guy who’s busting his ass to complete the same work manually and taking much longer to do so. People generally care about results, not effort
    Last edited by Averroes; 11-12-2021 at 11:25 AM.

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most high salaried positions are just a pipeline from rich/upper middle class upbringing -> Ivy League/target school education -> employment at one of 4-8 top firms

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw somewhere Gulenko said the typical protestant work ethic was Te/Fi. I can't remember where but I think he was talking about the relationship between LIE and ESI, where the enterprising efforts of the LIE are tempered with the moral considerations of the ESI.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

Restricted user
    TIM
    SLI-Si 6w5 613 sp/so
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, it's mostly Te, LIE and LSE, followed by SLI and ESI I'd say, with LSI following up.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

LSEs are like the poster-child for what you're describing, but there's some 5w6 LII or LSI in there too. With any social phenomenon as big as the protestant work ethic, you should expect to find the influence of many different groups of people.

TIM
    RLOAI?
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is rather a result of the theological debate between catholicism and protestantism and it's ramifications, than a result of human cognition.

What is doing good deeds for catholics is working hard for the protestants, Weber thought this was the sociological cause for the birth of capitalism.

I really doubt this is related to socionics, at least in my "kind" of socionics, for me it is about information metabolism and it's arranged in model A by the formal IM definitions.
    Last edited by RBRS; 11-12-2021 at 02:51 PM.

TIM
    school shooter one
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not write a paper on Islamic work ethic for UCLA?

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RBRS View Post
    It is rather a result of the theological debate between catholicism and protestantism and it's ramifications, than a result of human cognition.

What is doing good deeds for catholics is working hard for the protestants, Weber thought this was the sociological cause for the birth of capitalism.

I really doubt this is related to socionics, at least in my "kind" of socionics, for me it is about information metabolism and it's arranged in model A by the formal IM definitions.
    Human cognition is going to effect the way humans think about things. There is a pretty clear link even if figuring out the precise way the link occurred/occurs is probably going to be pretty convoluted.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

God I hate all those traits lmao.

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my least favorite Protestant values/traits are humility, aesthetic conformity/conservatism, blind deference to the needs of businesses and capital owners in general and living to work. I’d like to be able to wear what I want, work from home, take month long vacations, etc.
    Last edited by Averroes; 11-16-2021 at 11:28 PM.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Averroes View Post
    my least favorite Protestant values/traits are humility, aesthetic conformity/conservatism, blind deference to authority and living to work

How else you gonna accumulate that Capital?

Remember, Christianity was started by commune-ists. What else would you call thirteen guys living in the desert without jobs?
    And look where it is today.

Thou Shalt Accumulate!

https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Tex...dp/1312882301/
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 11-16-2021 at 11:18 PM.

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    How else you gonna accumulate that Capital?

Remember, Christianity was started by commune-ists. What else would you call thirteen guys living in the desert without jobs?
    And look where it is today.

Thou Shalt Accumulate!

https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Tex...dp/1312882301/
    By getting a loan from your parents or being a genius/having an extremely type A personality

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Averroes View Post
    By getting a loan from your parents or being a genius/having an extremely type A personality

Most rich people got rich the old-fashioned way. They inherited.

TIM
    RLOAI?
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Human cognition, in my opinion, rather works as a filter for ideas.

Religious values are usually a result of historical, social or even economic and political pressures, and we would do good in separating them from typology.

TIM
    INxp
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shazaam View Post
    God I hate all those traits lmao.
    I appreciate them myself, but then again they’re not traits that are exclusive to “Protestant Work Ethic”.