Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hearing a person's voice when reading their text

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hearing a person's voice when reading their text

I'll explain this phenomena the best that I can: when reading someone's text or chat lines, do you hear in your mind like their voice, or a "projection" of their voice? Most people get the default inner monologue voice when reading their text, but some people get different sounding voice automatically. Does this happen only to me? What could it mean??

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dammit. Someone please move this to psychology -_-

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends on whether you have heard the person's voice before, or whether you conjure an approximation of their voice from their text.

If their text style is more expressive than dry uninvolved exchange of information, the text itself will have emotions and tones that can become part of your projection of their voice.

Some people's text really does have a stream of consciousness quality which is intimate and can make their "voice" seem airy. Other people's text ends up looking a lot like bullet points of data because they have (in my experience) ST socionics types and can cut straight to the essentials when writing vs speaking. When I read such messages I don't hear the person's voice at all, just my own inner monologue repeating the information.

Does hearing the person's voice as you read their text help to illustrate what their tone or attitude might be at that time?

Personally I would find it comforting to hear someone's voice as I read their message.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t generally hear a voice when I read. Sometimes something like an echo of a a certain word or phrase I’ll imagine if I’m thinking about it or turning it over in my head. But, generally, nothing. And I don’t imagine a particular person’s voice; I don’t know that I even imagine a tone at all to this “voice.” Trying to imagine a real voice is different; I don’t know how I’d even describe what I normally think when I imagine a “voice.”

I’ve heard other people say they hear/imagine an actual voice when they think which sounds bizarre to me. To the extent I’m aware of my mental processes they don’t really deal directly with the physical world like that. Imagining an actual sound requires conscious direction for me. Same with imagining visual scenes; I occasionally experience recollections that are partly visual, but only incompletely and vaguely so, and are more connected to my internal processing of the event than my sensory experience at the time. Maybe related to Si-valuing/1D Se, I guess.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thistle View Post
    Does hearing the person's voice as you read their text help to illustrate what their tone or attitude might be at that time?
    Normally it does. Sometimes their inner monologue voice is very distinct and it is possible to tell stuff about the person. It seems not all people experience this. Maybe we are psychic or something?

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I always hear a voice when I read text. Everyone has their own ‘voice’. And yes, if I’ve heard their voice prior,
    it definitely colors things, and if I’ve heard a voice through text and then voice, it’s a bit disorienting because it of course affects the voice in my head and jumbled things up a bit until it gets more solidified into its own flavor. But none of them are set entirely in stone, there is some wiggle room for new info to affect the voice.

the weirdest one for me is when I think like someone is a guy through text when they are really a girl. When I find out, the voice get kind of jumbled up and disoriented, like it’s trying to puzzle something together out of sudden chaos. One person in particular I had this happen with, if I thought of a voice as a canvas, theirs is more 1D and greyish in comparison to people I know more. The more I know about a person, the more vivid the voice and rhythm the flow has in my head can become, adding images with expression to the voices, setting of where they might be or what they might be doing etc.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    ILI - H/C 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only use one voice when reading text, and it's not even my own voice or any other's voice. That voice just .. exist along with my existence, I don't even know where it came from.

dewusional entitwed snowfwake VewyScawwyNawcissist's Avatar
    TIM
    NF 6w5-4w5-1w9 VLEF
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i can hear a different voice depending on whose text im reading. sometimes i dont know whose text im reading bc i didnt look at the name or pciture but i hear the voice that i associate with how its written and thats how i guess who the person is. the differnet voices i hear are sometimes combinations of other voices or belong to other people who i know talk the same way. sometimes whenever how i write would change my mind registers the pattern of whoever talks like this and the voice gets replaced by that voice, sometimes the transiotion is of varying smoothness. the voice has that weird thing dreams do where its recognzable and characteristicly individual yet its vague, obscure and it could belong to anyone. @FreelancePoliceman voice reminds me of this guy

but a bit more uptuned, less anxious/raspy and less like he is giving a lecture.
    https://linktr.ee/tehhnicus
    Jesus is King stops black magic and closes portals

self diagnosed ASD, ADHD, schizotypal/affective

Your face makes your brain and sociotype – how muscle use shapes personality

I want to care
    if I was better I’d help you
    if I was better you’d be better

Human Design 2/4 projector life path 1

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@VewyScawwyNawcissist I forget; have you heard my real voice, or is that just the voice you imagine I have?

dewusional entitwed snowfwake VewyScawwyNawcissist's Avatar
    TIM
    NF 6w5-4w5-1w9 VLEF
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    @VewyScawwyNawcissist I forget; have you heard my real voice, or is that just the voice you imagine I have?
    i havent heard ur voice in reality. however the voice i imagine u with could end up being the same as ur real voice.
    https://linktr.ee/tehhnicus
    Jesus is King stops black magic and closes portals

self diagnosed ASD, ADHD, schizotypal/affective

Your face makes your brain and sociotype – how muscle use shapes personality

I want to care
    if I was better I’d help you
    if I was better you’d be better

Human Design 2/4 projector life path 1

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roger557 View Post
    Normally it does. Sometimes their inner monologue voice is very distinct and it is possible to tell stuff about the person. It seems not all people experience this. Maybe we are psychic or something?
    Psychic only if it works out to be true I've noticed in myself an element of attributing qualities to a person that I would like them to have, in order to prove my suspicions correct or to continue having certain beliefs about our relationship/where I stand with them.

Fuck this toxic snake pit Fluffy Princess Unicorn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It means people make assumptions about what others' tone and attitude is. People constantly misinterpret things through text that lacks nonverbal. For some reason, that's especially true in my own personal experiences. I have to correct others' misinterpretations of my tone more than a few times per week if I interact with those who haven't already known me for years and gone through the phase of learning how I actually am instead.

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am literally about to respond to another one of these instances in DMs right now. I was nerding out over some insights I had about psychological dynamics, just discussing something I found interesting, but they interpreted as though I was angry and defensive or offended or something, I don't understand why.

EDIT:
    It's pretty fucking weird to experience. Imagine just casually talking like

but then people over text see

I have 0 issues with this when nonverbal communication can be seen/heard alongside my words. None. Ever.
    Last edited by Fluffy Princess Unicorn; 11-07-2021 at 08:14 AM.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yeah it can be especially 'obvious' if I already know that's how they sound irl and everything matches a little too well lol. It's an area that can be interesting if I'm surprised by the voice but I'm usually not- and then once I am surprised I can't help but hear it everytime they speak anyway etc.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think I probably compare them to other people I've known or seen before and construct a representation from that mold. I wouldn't say they always sound different in my head, but I see an image and get different impressions or emotions from what they're saying based on it.

TIM
    4w3 so/sx
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll explain this phenomena the best that I can: when reading someone's text or chat lines, do you hear in your mind like their voice, or a "projection" of their voice? Most people get the default inner monologue voice when reading their text, but some people get different sounding voice automatically. Does this happen only to me? What could it mean??
    Me too. I read it in their voice or if it's someone I haven't met in person what I perceive their voice to sound like.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Someone on the forum said that when she read my texts, she heard the voice of Sterling Archer.

I thought this was pretty funny, because I think I sound like Donald Duck.

In all fairness, this was around the time of the forum when ashlesha and I were crossing swords and I was being much more of an asshole than usual. Probably that was what she was hearing.

Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone had a voice on here....I have it for all of youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

TIM
    ILE-De
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's only one voice allowed in my head and that's mine. When I have conversations with people in my head it's more so my inner voice jumping back and forth instead of truly creating another person in my head.

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just went to test this by reading a bunch of random people's comments on this forum, then reading a bunch of comments in my family's group chat, and I don't think I do this in either case. Whether I know someone incredibly well or not I don't exactly hear their voice. I think I hear something vaguely like my own voice, but having taken on the character/mannerisms of the other person. If you could record what it sounded like in my brain I'm pretty sure you wouldn't hear the other person's voice. You'd hear my own voice doing an impression of the other person, or something like that

Edit: My internal voice when reading does sound vaguely like a mix of mine and my mom's, and I think this is because she read to me A TON as a kid. Who I am reading does not affect the quality of this voice though. It's fairly consistent
    Last edited by AWellArmedCat; 11-10-2021 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Additional thought
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MissDucki View Post
    Everyone had a voice on here....I have it for all of youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
    Oooo what do I sound like??
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AWellArmedCat View Post
    In my brain, you sound like this sort of sophisticated soft male voice, with a tinge of arrogance.

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my brain, you sound like this sort of sophisticated soft male voice, with a tinge of arrogance.
    Well... at least it's only a tinge now, but yeah, that's a pretty fair guess as to how I sound when I'm in a very Ti mode in any case lol
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

TIM
    SEI 9w1
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I just hear my own internal voice regardless of whether or not I've heard that person's voice before
    Chronic "grass is always greener" syndrome

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Lovegood View Post
    I think I just hear my own internal voice regardless of whether or not I've heard that person's voice before
    You're one of the people that doesn't get the default inner narration voice.

Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AWellArmedCat View Post
    The Yuki Soma from Fruits Baskets like!

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MissDucki View Post
    The Yuki Soma from Fruits Baskets like!
    Lol I love this guess, but no

I just made a YouTube channel. You can hear me talk in these two videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aolf3QCSCCw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iOrl_LOSQs
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard a pirate voice in my head when I read something on this site yesterday. Then I realized I had read it wrong lol brains are weird
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reverie View Post
    I heard a pirate voice in my head when I read something on this site yesterday. Then I realized I had read it wrong lol brains are weird
    Yo ho ho, matey.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I'm reading something about Morgan Freeman, maybe.

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Oh man can I can go deep here. Suffice it to say that if I'm reading a book all the various characters have their own "voice" that tracks given the tropes/archetypes they seem to fulfil at the time I made a snap judgement. There is a kind of joy to be found in "mistyping" a character I will say. That is, it makes them feel more "real" as it were. Imagine an ILI who sounds like they've got as a base/creative function. Lemme tell ya we wish we could do that and, if we're gifted with acting acumen the likes of which you only find once or twice a century, perhaps someone like me is already living the dream.

Like, imagine the stereotypical "Caretaker/Infantile" voice saying things that'd come out of a "Victim/Aggressor" kind of person with conviction and enthusiasm... that'd lead an outsider/ignorant normie to think the latter was a member/example of the former...

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hm, I don't hear anything when I read people's posts—and it's not because I'm unfamiliar with their voices. Even when someone I know in real life sends me a message, I don't imagine them vocalizing the words.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do hear "hear" voices when I read.
    It's mixed with visual impressions, colors, even sometimes smells and tastes.
    The weirdest is when touch gets involved, that's synesthesia for ya.

I can hear the actual voice of a person, really cool for recalling songs, but I can also overwrite it with some other voice and tone.
    Does it really tells me about the other's state when writing? idk
    Could just be my own interpretation of what state they might have been in.

My own inner voice tend to be changing too, sometimes I change it on purpose.

It happens some people are more "grey" and not much happens in my head, it can be either be relaxing or ininteresting.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adage View Post
    I do hear "hear" voices when I read.
    It's mixed with visual impressions, colors, even sometimes smells and tastes.
    The weirdest is when touch gets involved, that's synesthesia for ya.

I can hear the actual voice of a person, really cool for recalling songs, but I can also overwrite it with some other voice and tone.
    Does it really tells me about the other's state when writing? idk
    Could just be my own interpretation of what state they might have been in.

My own inner voice tend to be changing too, sometimes I change it on purpose.

It happens some people are more "grey" and not much happens in my head, it can be either be relaxing or ininteresting.
    Ooo, I've always thought that synesthesia sounds very cool. Seems like something that doesn't even belong in this world, like it fell out of a fantasy novel.

I hope this isn't annoying because I bet you get asked this whenever you bring it up lol—but do you associate any particular colors/visuals/tastes/smells/feelings with me? Or with any of the forum members?

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't usually hear words in any way while I read, because I essentially read instantaneously and process written language in a way that's not entirely dependent on spoken language like how, say, deaf people clearly don't have to speak to be able to sign (but unlike deaf people signing I do almost certainly process written language as being somehow equivalent to spoken.) I have associated voices for people based on what they write, though, so I can easily imagine them saying things but I'm not sitting down and pretending to talk to them while I'm reading them, it's much faster than actual talking usually is. (You can talk that fast, but I tend to think information is lost in terms of acoustics when you do so I usually prefer writing over talking. Talking feels like a pale shadow.)

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't
    Souls know their way back home

TIM
    school shooter one
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there’s basically always a voice when I see words. It’s not intrusive I think usually. It’s usually similar to the person’s actual voice if I know it. If I only know their appearance or personality then I’ll make an amalgam of it from others I know who they remind me of. Oddly I think I rarely hear my own real voice in my head, even when I’m reading my own words.
    how to enlarge your dragon, click here

Quote Originally Posted by End View Post
    get ready to get cucked
    got this Socionics stuff caught by the balls

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's automatic to me to hear a voice when I'm reading. The thing is, that it's never my voice ! For instance, when I read posts in this forum, I automatically (and subcounsciously I guess) assign an imaginary and yet suitable voice to the the forum member's avatar. I don't like it when there is no avatar because It obviously doesn't give a clue about the "vibe" the forum member wants to convey. I would have in this case, to rely only on the writing style.
    Now, what about the members who posted video of themselves ? Obviously, in this case reality imposes itself upon imagination and the real voice will permanently replace its imaginary one for better or worse. What about when the picture is more abstract or is a natural representation ? In this case I'll go by my impression. It might for instance evoque an era in time when our language was a bit different and so the voice in my head would adapt to that etc..

I just want to add that voices have always been a theme in my life. It's a unique part of ourselves like fingerprints and retinal patterns. For instance, when I watch a dubbed movie, series or an anime, I like to identify voice dubbing artists (and I like even more to see what the dubbing artist looks like !) It's like a game "Who's voice is it ?" I used to play with my siblings along with the "Who does she/he look like ?" one. In general, I always notice what makes a person unique and it's not only physical stuff of course.

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by godslave View Post
    It's automatic to me to hear a voice when I'm reading. The thing is, that it's never my voice ! For instance, when I read posts in this forum, I automatically (and subcounsciously I guess) assign an imaginary and yet suitable voice to the the forum member's avatar. I don't like it when there is no avatar because It obviously doesn't give a clue about the "vibe" the forum member wants to convey. I would have in this case, to rely only on the writing style.
    Now, what about the members who posted video of themselves ? Obviously, in this case reality imposes itself upon imagination and the real voice will permanently replace its imaginary one for better or worse. What about when the picture is more abstract or is a natural representation ? In this case I'll go by my impression. It might for instance evoque an era in time when our language was a bit different and so the voice in my head would adapt to that etc..

I just want to add that voices have always been a theme in my life. It's a unique part of ourselves like fingerprints and retinal patterns. For instance, when I watch a dubbed movie, series or an anime, I like to identify voice dubbing artists (and I like even more to see what the dubbing artist looks like !) It's like a game "Who's voice is it ?" I used to play with my siblings along with the "Who does she/he look like ?" one. In general, I always notice what makes a person unique and it's not only physical stuff of course.
    Perfectly natural. Great authors know how to guide the reader in this direction. Great Casting Directors tap into that and cast the most fitting actors that'd most "fit" as it were. This is the reason that, when it actually happens, said actor becomes irreplicable in the minds of the masses. I'll admit I'm more experienced in the realm of voice acting so that's where most of what I'm about to say comes from.

Tim Allen is Buzz Lightyear. Crispin Freeman is Alucard (even the Japanese agree on this one look it up). In animation Mark Hamil is the Joker but in the realm of Real-Life adaptations Heath Ledger successfully takes that throne and is The Joker in that sphere.

I could go on and on and on. Point is, this is a perfectly natural phenomenon. The Collective Unconscious works like that for better or worse. Great authors and psychologist who actually want to do right by their audiences/clients lean into that fact. Evil one's pervert all that in service to the great enemy.

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People would probably be very wrong about my voice if doing this with me. I've been told a lot that I have a soft, soothing, and gentle voice that would be good at singing lullabies. I've also been told a lot that I'm very chill because I'm not very outwardly expressive or reactive. I get picked on for it sometimes, even. "I don't even know whether to take you seriously or not lol" because I'm just calmly, in a blah tone, like "My mouse just died" (during a boss fight). I don't even mean to be that way, I'm just like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast