Thread: Mirrors as possible soulmates

TIM
    EII 4w3 Sx/sp
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mirrors as possible soulmates

I believe that in and through love, we discover ourselves. And the purpose of love is to become the best version of ourselves. I feel like our Mirrors give us this, because 1) They see the world mostly the way we see it and 2) They see our blind spots and help us improve aspects of ourselves through seeing this other side of things. What do you think?

C-EII-INFj 4w3 Sx/sp 479

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I do wonder. There are many mirror couples and some of them must be happy. Do these happy mirror couples have something that happy dual couples don’t? But what are the happy mirror couples missing out on? I think there’s probably better energy with a dual. But yes, I can picture mirrors as soul mates, at least on paper, or in a story. But the word ‘soul mate’ sort of has tragic connotations and so maybe soul mates are not the best type of love..Mirror partners are probably how a lot of people first learn about love. But also heartache. EIEs seem like fantasy creatures to me, (the good ones), so I can see the appeal.

I think a lot of people (let’s say people who don’t know about socionics) would settle for being with a partner that feels like their best friend (how a mirror might feel). You only have to glance at this site to see that people want perfection (a dual) and I think being with your best friend might feel special enough to make some mirrors stay together.

However, I think it’s probably quite hard to find a good mirror even if you come across them more easily than duals.

I often miss my old EIE best friend and think about how much I loved her. But sadly she wasn’t able to help me me when I really needed help. We were only 16 so who can blame anyone but it’s an example of how a mirror ITR can go from extremely loving..to feeling very superficial and eventually drifting apart.

There are also probably many mirrors who aren’t that happy together.
    Last edited by Bethanyclaire; 10-27-2021 at 12:05 PM.

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also I think someone feeling like they're your soul mate, might be more to do with non-type related stuff

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

When a right hand is raised in the mirror, the image raises the left. Mirrors do often see the world similarly and may agree on what fundamentally needs to be done but their priorities, approaches and measures of success are usually diametrically opposed. Their blind-spots tend to have familiar rings although in much different proportions. They could be very good casual acquaintances but they're the least likely to become or remain truly close - but stranger things have happened.

a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

For the record, mirrors reverse front-to-back, not left-to-right. Notice that they don't reverse top-to-bottom, either.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel a strong connection with IEIs, we are often so similar in thinking. I think a relationship would work with one but I don't think it would be without challenges.

However, I think soulmates are something that transcends socionics.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have heard of a couple of mirror couples who seem to need time apart..separate beds..maybe two houses..but they have the money for big houses at least. But then they also seem to really like holidays together.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bethany View Post
    I have heard of a couple of mirror couples who seem to need time apart..separate beds..maybe two houses..but they have the money for big houses at least. But then they also seem to really like holidays together.

I've gone on foreign adventure trips with an ILI buddy of mine, but I'd never live with the guy. He's a mess.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually like ILEs as people. I tend to get along well with them IRL, but I’m not sure if I make a strong enough impression on them that, no matter how well we got along, they’d even consider a relationship with me, if that makes sense. I feel like I’d need to hold their interest somehow, and I’m not sure if I can do that.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    I usually like ILEs as people. I tend to get along well with them IRL, but I’m not sure if I make a strong enough impression on them that, no matter how well we got along, they’d even consider a relationship with me, if that makes sense. I feel like I’d need to hold their interest somehow, and I’m not sure if I can do that.
    Lol.

@FreelancePoliceman, you'd have to Caregiver them and be in awe of their brilliance, while ignoring their Fe face slaps. So, yeah, no.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    For the record, mirrors reverse front-to-back, not left-to-right. Notice that they don't reverse top-to-bottom, either.
    I agree that my first statement was ill thought out - I've been on this site too long.

a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelondeck View Post
    I agree that the statement was ill thought out - I've been on this site too long.

a.k.a. I/O

Mirror reversal is not the most intuitive thing in the world to see. Our ocean-spawned brains aren't set up for it.

And Yeah, I've been here too long, too. I just haven't found anything better to replace it with yet.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    Lol.

@FreelancePoliceman, you'd have to Caregiver them and be in awe of their brilliance, while ignoring their Fe face slaps. So, yeah, no.
    Well, I don't really mind ILEs' "face slaps." Like I said, I get along with them well.

TIM
    ILE-De
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shytan View Post
    1) They see the world mostly the way we see it
    True

2) They see our blind spots and help us improve aspects of ourselves through seeing this other side of things.
    False

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I have a soul!

I have seen different LII's. Some are just too Ti-stuck others are not.

Apparently, G-man suggests that SLE woman + LSI man are quite common [I have seen this]. So mb Tx woman + Tx man. It might even reverse like Fx man + Fx woman.

I do not fancy a T woman particularly but I have seen a T woman being more attracted to a T man.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe that in and through love, we discover ourselves. And the purpose of love is to become the best version of ourselves. I feel like our Mirrors give us this, because 1) They see the world mostly the way we see it and 2) They see our blind spots and help us improve aspects of ourselves through seeing this other side of things. What do you think?
    Are you currently dating/crushing on your mirror? I don't think 1&2 are true to be honest, but you're free to assume that this is actually true in some way. You will discover parts of yourself through literally every person you interact with, everything you do, so I'm not sure what that has to do with love specifically

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't really view my Mirror as a Soulmate - I view them as a Powermate. lol. The reason I got anywhere in life was mostly due to EIEs really- or the reason I stayed out of trouble etc. For that reason I feel admirable to them/in their debt etc. Like @Eudaimonia said I think Betas subconciously look out for each other and have each other's backs etc. But actually starting a relationship with one often feels awkward. I think the attraction is often very one sided for starters. ((seems like the EIE is always into me way more than I'm into them or vice-versa.)) And even if it is mutual- it is still awkward/weird to take it anywhere. The Ixxp-Exxj temperment clash can be a big deal I think even if we are in the same quadra.

TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mirrors would probably start arguments about stupid bullshit. If activity partners get irritated by too much of each other's lead function then imagine how irritable it would be in a mirror relationship. Irrational/rational relationships are generally shitty, honestly.

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven’t had a relationship with a mirror but I mentioned above that my high school best friend was EIE. We don’t really talk now, our lives went down different paths- she was rich, I was essentially poor. (Ok not poor, but disadvantaged). But you know what, I still love her and if things had been a bit different I’d probably still see her. We were friends since very young. Who knows, maybe we’ll end up in each other’s lives again. She’s very successful and I’m not sure she’d want to be friends with me again but at the same time, shared humour and silliness along with old affection could be enough to reform a bond.

I recently made a new EIE friend who reminds me of the old one. She’s a bit more down to earth but has similar charisma and sweetness. Though to be fair old bestie was down to earth for a person with money. She’s way younger and smarter than me but she seems to want to be friends, even just casually..we were working together but she’s leaving. It’s always a pleasure to be in her company and just have a little chat or lament about something to her. I admire her and she seems to like me. She is lovely, like a fairy tale character brought to life, but also very ‘real’. She teaches me so much about LGBT culture too, so I feel less stupid and ignorant lol
    Last edited by Bethanyclaire; 11-17-2021 at 03:01 AM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody can be a soulmate.

Soulmate = person you know from a past life.