Thread: How do you differ between your "real life" self and your online/texting self?

TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How do you differ between your "real life" self and your online/texting self?

In real life, I interact with people without time to adequately analyze my contributions to the conversations.

Online/texting makes available the preference to accurately interact with others.

Socially speaking, real-life is very much rapid fire while online/texting is more mentally isolative

How do you all differ between real life vs texting?

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I talk in a very similar way via text vs real-life interactions. I'm not usually a very loud person though, people may talk over me. I have a problem interrupting too though. I can stare off and look a little vacant in conversations.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OOOOh this is interesting!

Online I appear way more extroverted and “forward”. I just shoot the shit. This is probably the only place I am active on “social media” wise. Others I am a ghost town. Usually it starts with me being over polite and slow to engage and then full on swinging Texting I am pretty rapid too and I use a lot of emoji’s.

I respond similar but I am much more shy and “laid back” irl. I go off an do my own thing a lot more and just “nope” out of social situations. I’m much more quiet and polite in that regard. I am friendly just..I do think I come across more closed off. It depends on the day, situation, and mood. You can usually find me with earbuds in walking somewhere by myself and vibing. I only really turn on the Fe when I need to.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

In real life, I'm actually a personality simulator.

TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MissDucki View Post
    OOOOh this is interesting!

Online I appear way more extroverted and “forward”. I just shoot the shit. This is probably the only place I am active on “social media” wise. Others I am a ghost town. Usually it starts with me being over polite and slow to engage and then full on swinging Texting I am pretty rapid too and I use a lot of emoji’s.

I respond similar but I am much more shy and “laid back” irl. I go off an do my own thing a lot more and just “nope” out of social situations. I’m much more quiet and polite in that regard. I am friendly just..I do think I come across more closed off. It depends on the day, situation, and mood. You can usually find me with earbuds in walking somewhere by myself and vibing. I only really turn on the Fe when I need to.
    Interesting.

This might speak to how the lead function is "you" while the creative is a tool that isn't as psychologically automatic.

Using the lead is effortless but my creative is best utilized as a true secondary mental option

Its crazy cause my creative function has been unusually shit irl.

Maybe I'm a Lion
    TIM
    ESI-Fi 6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm quieter in real life. Here I blab about whatever cuz I'm bored.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use this forum as a means to air thoughts I typically wouldn't. I also engage in conversation a bit more.

Edit: I think IRL I tend to make flat statements more; online I tend to ask questions more.
    Last edited by FreelancePoliceman; 10-25-2021 at 04:40 AM.

dewusional entitwed snowfwake VewyScawwyNawcissist's Avatar
    TIM
    NF 6w5-4w5-1w9 VLEF
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am more inclined to talk shit irl and dont rant like this. the point of the rants is to have it recorded somewhere. what i type what i think what i say and how i say it are all different and sometimes the same depending, sometimes its way easier for me to communicate IRL, sometimes i can only have enough time to figure out what to say online. expression IRL would add a lot of context changing how what i say is perceived. there are a lot of problems that would be met too outside where i wouldnt react like most ppl so i would seem more pleasant in those regards. my physical presence is off putting. people on edge.
    https://linktr.ee/tehhnicus
    Jesus is King stops black magic and closes portals

self diagnosed ASD, ADHD, schizotypal/affective

Your face makes your brain and sociotype – how muscle use shapes personality

I want to care
    if I was better I’d help you
    if I was better you’d be better

Human Design 2/4 projector life path 1

TIM
    ILE-De
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is virtually no difference between how I talk online and in real life, excluding how online I usually edit what I say a bit more so that it's more clear.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Less emotive than in text. In text messaging, or on this web forum, I compulsively use emoticons. Roughly equal rudeness, maybe toned back online I'd say, since there are mods everywhere.

Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Father Freedom View Post
    Less emotive than in text. In text messaging, or on this web forum, I compulsively use emoticons. Roughly equal rudeness, maybe toned back online I'd say, since there are mods everywhere.
    Less rude in here?!? THANK GOD I am Mod

TIM
    SEI 9w1
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm more direct in some ways here. But I wasn't as direct when I first joined this forum either so I think that has to do with the fact that I'm used to people here now. I can also articulate myself better cause I have more time to think about what I want to say. I zone out of conversations a lot more in person, whereas I seem to pay attention more online. I will rant in person too but it has to be with specific people meanwhile I'll do it where a lot of people can see on here.

Other than that I'm pretty much the same person.
    Chronic "grass is always greener" syndrome

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Less rude in here?!? THANK GOD I am Mod
    Yeah, so you should give me preferential treatment! We'll work out a bribe.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It's a different mode of communication, so I'm tempted to say in every way possible, but I'm sure there are some commonalities.

I tend to use my online life to refine my real life by saying things I normally wouldn't to see if they work, though I do this maybe even more in real life

Riley and Bunny together forever HicksHawking 14Raptor19's Avatar
    Macroverse MtBattle ScholarsGarden Halloween1993 SuperNexus InfinitiesUltimate AllSpectraEverywhere
    TIM
    RayquazaRaichuArceus
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    In real life, I'm actually a personality simulator.
    Wow this is funny, you may were masks after guises to trick or personify virtues and ranges of the animal to alien overdrive to shift frequencies or summon a sea monster.
    Raptor had to lose in 2006 to become Revan, important errands of knighthood and valor to walk with Pokemon and charm the melodies of sweet channels to lush frenzy galloping solo yet swiftly into the sunrise for maximum presents and signed in deluxe oceans of fast trading cards bazooka cascading rumba of love Force constellations restoring last battle cardinal plants actively swirling for juice and petals to wishes
    https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...k-2024-edition

Riley and Bunny together forever HicksHawking 14Raptor19's Avatar
    Macroverse MtBattle ScholarsGarden Halloween1993 SuperNexus InfinitiesUltimate AllSpectraEverywhere
    TIM
    RayquazaRaichuArceus
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I act in professional settings very dry and without animation, but if people are going through web after fairytale of mania and magic, I suddenly leap from point to topic with flair and extremities as the puzzle cube dresses up the hanger.

Online, I have more freedom yet, because people won't be there to be openly disgusted or in rebellion over my frenzy and feather, so the liberty is awe inspiring.

Ideally, I create chances and continuums that thunderbolt the plaza into matrimony with freaky yet phenomenal fates, fates that power up the game, and send you soaring.
    Raptor had to lose in 2006 to become Revan, important errands of knighthood and valor to walk with Pokemon and charm the melodies of sweet channels to lush frenzy galloping solo yet swiftly into the sunrise for maximum presents and signed in deluxe oceans of fast trading cards bazooka cascading rumba of love Force constellations restoring last battle cardinal plants actively swirling for juice and petals to wishes
    https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...k-2024-edition

TIM
    Juke Skywalker
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have to clarify more online, because you're putting out statements most of the time in these threads, rather than having a back and forth conversation... so it has to be clear what I mean, straight away....

I'm also more likely to join in a conversation/give input irl.... I can't always be bothered to type stuff out

Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Father Freedom View Post
    Yeah, so you should give me preferential treatment! We'll work out a bribe.
    No.

TIM
    RLOAI?
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In written

-More structure, as the format allows for premeditation and further corrections

In real life

-Long rants about topics of interest, far more politically incorrect and a lot of times vehement on these

-Less precaution with the aforementioned political correctness and social decorum, more often than not making people raise eyebrows

-Family members have repeatedly told me that my speech lacks variations in intonations and can be too fast at times, which makes people lose interest or have headaches I'm told

-Far more harsh, somewhat grotesque, for example;
    +That person should be hanged upside down suspended by a bladed hook up his ass to his stomach.
    +That teacher doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about as he doesn't even care, he doesn't have the right to breathe and be alive

-If I don’t care about the topic I don't even care to speak, but if I like the topic I might dominate the conversation, only talking myself non-stop.

-With people who are not intimate I either don’t speak or I'm dry and correct because of the lack of trust I have in the other person.

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

im more outspoken online

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No.
    Yeah, good, keep it up for appearances

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In real life I'm much more of a joker when hanging out with my friends. I love making subtle innuendos and the best ones are when people don't even notice I made a joke right away and realize a few moments later. When I'm comfortable I'm pretty flirty and mercurial, but only in a very light surface-level kind of way; I get quite skittish when someone seriously flirts with me back, as I don't really mean anything by it. I also find it very easy to suddenly turn on Ti and become Spock when someone asks me a serious question. I feel my in-person interactions are really defined by that back and forth between frivolous Fe shenanigans and stiff overdone Ti. I think because my Ti is only 2D I end up using far too many words and answering simple questions incredibly long-windedly because I desperately want to be 100% accurate and to not be misunderstood when being serious. There is a very specific way that I want to "come across" to people, and I do everything I can to make sure that that is exactly how I am coming across. I think if you were to look at a transcript of my real-life dialogue when someone asks me what I think about something political or philosophical you'd find that my speech was so full of superfluous qualifiers like "not necessarily," "tends to," "could be considered by some to be," etc, that it would seem like I really wasn't saying anything at all. In the end the other person pretty much always ends up thinking I agree with them when I in fact don't agree with them in the slightest. I just phrase disagreement in a way that sounds like agreement, and only 3D or 4D Ti users seem to ever pick up on this.

If I'm in a less comfortable situation then I think I tend to give off a sort of detached boho vibe. It's harder for me to say what sort of vibe I give people, but people always seem very comfortable approaching me no matter what and always say I look friendly and easy to talk to, so apparently I give off some sort of passive warmth or softness.

I'm not sure exactly how I come across to people online. Two people on this forum thought I was a troll for some reason and that really confused me, so I have no idea anymore lol
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

Restricted user
    TIM
    SLI-Si 6w5 613 sp/so
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In real life: I'm much more quiet. Not very emotive. Don't reveal my thoughts. Simultaneously more polite and more hostile. Come across as much more stern and serious.

I find deep conversations far more satisfying through text rather than in person, as you just don't get enough time to think before having to respond. Imagine talking to someone who just sits there for 30 seconds thinking every time you say something, would be so goddamn uncomfortable. With text, I frequently take no less than that time to respond whereas in person, I try to respond as rapidly as I can, which leads to unsatisfying communication.
    Last edited by ContractedCriminalboy; 10-25-2021 at 08:52 PM.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More structured. More positive in texts. Irl I’m a mess and more scattered lol, pretty dorky and gloomy I guess
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm way more structured in text than face to face conversation, because without all the context of face to face communication and not having the other person pick up on ambiguities I have to be that way in order to make sense to people. I don't consider this a part that is 'outside myself' from real life. There is no difference, just different muscles exercised in the same body. I wouldn't mind people I know in real life reading anything I write here. If it's not information I want to have public, I will simply not share it.
    In chat I tend to be a bit more... whatever. But even that is different in some ways from chatting face to face. I really miss not having all tools of communication available in text, but then again, it has other advantages as well. Textual humor is slightly different from face to face stuff.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

idk probably a bit more "Fi" seeming. Kinda like a male Daria or Carrie lol. Online I come across a lot more perverted. In real life can still be perverted but I want the 'stars to align' better in that area and won't just sniff jockstraps all day like ur average gay club twink. Much more picky.

My IEI sister liked when I was being more assertive at the restaurant the other day lol. she's like 'ooh you're being such a man- so bold' - so I have learned to speak up and be more confident IRL lol. What I like about getting older is you care less and less what other people think about you I think- and can more easily be yourself. I was talking about this with my mom earlier- like assuming the old person isn't going senile lol old people are funny/admiring because they so easily tell other people what they think regardless of niceness or diplomacy etc. My mom was all 'us old people don't care so much about being liked.'

TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shazaam View Post
    idk probably a bit more "Fi" seeming. Kinda like a male Daria or Carrie lol. Online I come across a lot more perverted. In real life can still be perverted but I want the 'stars to align' better in that area and won't just sniff jockstraps all day like ur average gay club twink. Much more picky.

My IEI sister liked when I was being more assertive at the restaurant the other day lol. she's like 'ooh you're being such a man- so bold' - so I have learned to speak up and be more confident IRL lol. What I like about getting older is you care less and less what other people think about you I think- and can more easily be yourself. I was talking about this with my mom earlier- like assuming the old person isn't going senile lol old people are funny/admiring because they so easily tell other people what they think regardless of niceness or diplomacy etc. My mom was all 'us old people don't care so much about being liked.'
    Interesting perspective

Teenage Me: "I want pet this dog"
    Teenage buddy of mine: "Nah. Let's hit the arcade"
    Teenage Me: "Meh. I guess that sounds cool, man"

Me Today: "I wanna pet this dog"
    Buddy of mine:. "Let's hit an arcade"
    Me today: "Nah. You go have a good time"

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shazaam View Post

Weird lol…thinking about it, I’m prob more Fe in person and more Fi online, especially on forums.

it is also completely bizarre to me that anyone would type me Se creative. I can only guess I come a crossed more assertive through text. I told my kids about people thinking I’m Se and they were like, ‘um, no. Definitely not.’ And they laughed. Im homeschooling them Socionic’s, you see. My own little cult.

my husband has rubbed off on me a lot, we’ve been together 17 years. I def am more confident with him peering over my shoulder and got more mouthy maybe because of it, than I was before. I’ve even adapted to some of his viewpoints and use similar sayings, and him being a Se ego, maybe that’s what people pick up on…I really don’t know
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    SLE
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In person its a lot more obvious that my natural state is play-fighting, mischief, and improvising. I think I might come off more serious online idk.

TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting replies

Online communication is sort of like a disembodied voice or a humanity's weird ass desire to have wings & fly. Theoretically & in a scale of 1-10, online confidence might be 7, whereas in real life that number might be fluctuant.

Practically, online might be a decent place to practice the rough draft of my college thesis and for other people (not me) to channel their inner grammar Nazi.