Thread: self-control, decisiveness, and suicide.

TIM
    ESI-Fi 146w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default self-control, decisiveness, and suicide.

"can only individuals who are decisive and self-controlled commit suicide?" is a question worth examining the fuck out of IMO. examining just for the sake of it and to reduce hospitalizations for people who say they will commit suicide but may not have the ability to.

i talked briefly about it to an LIE criminology professor i had, and he said something like yes, it would require the individual to have high self control because of decisiveness. i also asked him if my self-control was high, and he said it was higher than some and lower than others. i've always thought my self-control was not high partly because i doubt everything, and partly because of how my behavior was in the past. i guess have medium self-control, but i'd rather just have my satisfaction or get my shit out and i figured i couldn't enjoy my life much if i didn't act impulsively from time to time, so i've never tightly controlled myself and i'm not capable of it anyway.

LSIs, especially the logical subtype tend to not have high self-control, they tend to not be inner directed; something I've noticed is that both subtypes tend to have those fluctuations especially when dealing about themselves... their EIE duals seem more decisive and more confident in their decisions at least when taking action. The sensory subtype seems to think things out more, but in some cases even they have seem to have less self-control over their emotions than their EIE duals... I agree with Grigory Reinin that EIE's hysterics are controlled (the Fe subtype's more so than the Ni subtypes.. the Ni subtype is less controlled by outside circumstances but even ****** was controlled in his actions; when he took power there was little to nothing pathological about him, he was the way he was because of how his father treated him); my emotional reactions were poorly structured.. ethical types generally have better self-control over their actions, especially as they effect other people than logical types do. Despite ESI exploding sometimes, it's like they always know beforehand whether they want to kill or punch someone and they tend to make measured decisions and not have any regret later. LSIs, especially the logical subtype with violence, seems less self-controlled as if they're possessed. But SLEs tend to make sure that only the right people are around people when they actually resort to violence... they have higher self-control, and know what the consequences are better than i do.

women seem more decisive and seem to have more self-control and to be more inner-directed than men.
    I'm sorry, but I'm psychologically disturbed.

TIM
    Take a guess
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
    "can only individuals who are decisive and self-controlled commit suicide?" is a question worth examining the fuck out of IMO. examining just for the sake of it and to reduce hospitalizations for people who say they will commit suicide but may not have the ability to.

i talked briefly about it to an LIE criminology professor i had, and he said something like yes, it would require the individual to have high self control because of decisiveness. i also asked him if my self-control was high, and he said it was higher than some and lower than others. i've always thought my self-control was not high partly because i doubt everything, and partly because of how my behavior was in the past. i guess have medium self-control, but i'd rather just have my satisfaction or get my shit out and i figured i couldn't enjoy my life much if i didn't act impulsively from time to time, so i've never tightly controlled myself and i'm not capable of it anyway.
    This comes down to what people want and what people would like. People who say they want to commit suicide but lack the conviction don't really want to commit suicide. Perhaps they would like to not wake up tomorrow or wouldn't mind it but they don't want to not wake up tomorrow because they'd take action to ensure it if they did.

LSIs, especially the logical subtype tend to not have high self-control, they tend to not be inner directed; something I've noticed is that both subtypes tend to have those fluctuations especially when dealing about themselves... their EIE duals seem more decisive and more confident in their decisions at least when taking action. The sensory subtype seems to think things out more, but in some cases even they have seem to have less self-control over their emotions than their EIE duals... I agree with Grigory Reinin that EIE's hysterics are controlled (the Fe subtype's more so than the Ni subtypes.. the Ni subtype is less controlled by outside circumstances but even ****** was controlled in his actions; when he took power there was little to nothing pathological about him, he was the way he was because of how his father treated him); my emotional reactions were poorly structured.. ethical types generally have better self-control over their actions, especially as they effect other people than logical types do. Despite ESI exploding sometimes, it's like they always know beforehand whether they want to kill or punch someone and they tend to make measured decisions and not have any regret later. LSIs, especially the logical subtype with violence, seems less self-controlled as if they're possessed. But SLEs tend to make sure that only the right people are around people when they actually resort to violence... they have higher self-control, and know what the consequences are better than i do.
    LSIs are actually one of, if not the most self-controlled type in Socionics. Leading Ti supported by Se often leads to a strict adherence to maxims which the LSI extrapolated from life experience.

women seem more decisive and seem to have more self-control and to be more inner-directed than men.
    Women are notoriously indecisive when it comes to navigating through life but decisive when it comes to mating. There's a reason why one of the qualities a women is biologically hard-wired to seek in men is decisiveness, it's to make up for their own lack of it. Even the most "alpha" CEO boss bitches still prefer decisive men.

I'd say neither gender is more inner-directed than the other.

TIM
    ILI - H/C 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LSI is the most disciplined/self-controlled type I ever know, and it can lead to stubbornness / not compromise because they only follow their own rules

This guy could be LSI:

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Women aren't really that way naturally (I agree with @Resonare lol) but society gives those things to women artifically or superficially more as a survival strategy for the entire species since in a big, evoltuionary way a woman dying is a lot more serious than a man dying because of their ability to carry off-spring. Sperm is cheap and egg is expensive etc. Feminism is more Te and blue pill-ish and masculinism is more Se and red pill-ish for very good reasons.

Also no offense but what you said blew a logical fuse in my brain because if you are insinuating somehow that women kill themselves more because they are those things- studies have shown men actually kill themselves much more. Just Googled and yeah, males die via suicide three to four times more than women.

Actually doing it requires some decisiveness but I don't think it's really about that- as it's more like you are so emotionally out of control you just do it naturally sort of thing. I highly doubt you're thinking 'oh I'm being so decisive here' pulling the trigger even though that's what you are doing technically... I think a lot of it has to do with (ethical-type especially lol) males feeling things deeply and society cruelly not accepting that ((studies have shown males do much better in life when our feelings are validated and not dismissed etc.)) and us being incompatible with the envrionment. I was very emotional as a kid- and I was kinda suicide-lite at times because I was bullied a lot growing up and also felt incredibly incompatible with my environment. External polr + Incompatible environment = Shitty Times. As a male IEI, I also could be Kurt Cobain-ish at times- and he really did off himself. Like Marilyn Manson said though- I didn't really have the balls to kill myself. (And I was lucky because my parents really loved me and did the best they knew how to do, which a lot of people didn't have that and I was lucky.) Yeah, I do think it takes balls. Maybe balls/deciveness- there is overlap there where one person says deciveness and I just think 'balls' as yeah the will to live can be incredibly strong and to over-ride that- it takes balls, or you know something really fucked up emotionally is going on there.

I also think that sometimes it isn't about being in deep emotional pain- but you are curious in a spiritual way what death would be like and you want to speed up the process. Or a mixture of both those things.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Also I'm curious about something- I gotta do more research later and I gotta go now but I always wondered if in the females that do kill themselves, are their brains more masculinized compared to other females, or the 'female average' etc. Not to play the victim with the 'haha males kill themselves more so you better be nice to us or else' thing but I mean I'm just saying, it wouldn't surprise me either if that was the case. Perhaps being more effeminate than the average guy probably (didn't like sports or guns etc) is what saved me from actually doing it.

TIM
    ESI-Fi 146w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Resonare @TarnishedOnly true for the sensory subtype, the logical subtype is not emotionally self-controlled at all and is a bit more pragmatic rather than following their own rules. And even then the sensory subtype is impulsive sometimes. It may be because of brain damage, but if the LSI is the most self-controlled type in the socion, then not many people have self-control. Many LSIs tend to think they're super self-controlled, or they act like they can do this or that when they're really not and they really can't. LSI-Ti can be especially emotional.
    I'm sorry, but I'm psychologically disturbed.