Thread: Do people's Name affects personality?

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Do people's Name affects personality?

I've met ppl with the same Name and they are similar in some aspects. There are ppl who even provide full personality descriptions for each Name. What do You think?

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

its probably a myth

Banned
    TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes it does seem like it..

I am named after a beautiful woman with a ‘tragic’ life. I am not ‘beautiful’, if I’m being objective I’d say I’m attractive..and I do think my life has been on the tough side. I’ve spent a lot of time feeling unattractive though. I think my ESE mum probably fixated on her own looks a lot as a young woman (because of her own life issues) and I wish she’d been able to communicate to me better that inner beauty is more important than outer and that beauty should be more about having fun/taking care of yourself rather than your value as a person. I’m sure she tried..but as can happen with ESE supervision she made me feel stupid for not being confident about si stuff..at times.

If I had a daughter I might want to give them a romantic name but maybe a bit more heroic than the one I have (real name isn’t Bethany)

My youngest sibling has the most traditional, sensible sounding name and he is the most sensible of the 4 of us lol

Parents giving their kids names that end up
    suiting then might be to do with their own personality types. It seems common for people to have kids who are benefit/supervision types?
    Last edited by Bethanyclaire; 10-17-2021 at 10:50 AM.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm named after my Father, he was named after his Father. The name is biblical. I rarely think about my name, sometimes it feels weird when people say it. I think I've always felt a kind of disassociation with the name since so many in my family had the same name. It never fully belonged to me.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

TIM
    Take a guess
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It can certainly have an impact on interactions because names can influence self-image and therefore behavior and also influence the first impressions which then affects how people behave in the future.

But I'm doubtful a name can actually impact personality. At most it can lead to something like depression which can change personality.

Fuck this toxic snake pit Fluffy Princess Unicorn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lmao no. That's just some mystical voodoo, honestly.

dewusional entitwed snowfwake VewyScawwyNawcissist's Avatar
    TIM
    NF 6w5-4w5-1w9 VLEF
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eudaimonia View Post
    It never fully belonged to me.
    are u aware thats related to u being avatar of change and the fake faces/masks thing?
    https://linktr.ee/tehhnicus
    Jesus is King stops black magic and closes portals

self diagnosed ASD, ADHD, schizotypal/affective

Your face makes your brain and sociotype – how muscle use shapes personality

I want to care
    if I was better I’d help you
    if I was better you’d be better

Human Design 2/4 projector life path 1

TIM
    SEI 9w1
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think a name can impact someone's personality so significantly. A lot of people have the same name as me as my name is super common. I feel disconnected from my name most times. It's like it's not even me and I'm on the outside looking at this person who has that name. I don't like to think about my name most times cause it doesn't feel like me. I've actually wanted to change my name before.

My father and brother have the same name and they are complete opposites.
    Chronic "grass is always greener" syndrome

How did you get that idea?

TIM
    HN-SLI-Te
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There may be some influence of a name on personality, but very minor. Parents' personality is one of the reasons why they choose a particular name for a child and children are similar to them because of genes and upbringing, they should fit an image of their name more than random statistically. Maybe also a name influences personality development in some way, if your name is the same as someone famous, especially if it's a rare name, you may be interested in this person and adore them more because you have someone in common and develop similar traits? That's a very subtle effect, if it exists at all.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yes, names have associations which cause people to treat you differently, therefore making your personality different in reaction to this. Names have different associations in different contexts (Chinese names don't mean much in the US or maybe someone hasn't seen Star Wars and so Luke doesn't have connotations associated with the character Luke, etc.) so I doubt you could say "all Bethanys are like this".

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Name your kid Lew. Short for Lewser.

https://freakonomics.com/podcast/how...radio-podcast/

Banned
    TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep I don’t think my name exactly influenced my personality, more that my mum’s personality influenced mine and the name she chose reflects that influence. I do think I notice some types using nick names or a shortened version of their name.

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nomen est omen
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    TIM
    RLOAI, maybe
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I think it's likely that names do influence the choices of individuals. Surnames too, like Mort and Sexsmith might influence choice of career for example.

Also, I could easily predict psychological or cultural inclinations from names, even if it is very broad generalisations based on traditional gender associations. I remember reading a paper which showed that people with Arabic forenames in Indonesia were more pious Muslims than the rest of the Muslim population.

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My birth name didn't influence me whatsoever, that sounds silly to me. I also always hated it and wanted to change it consistently ever since I was 13. Never felt it suited me — precisely because it didn't match my personality according to the associations it carried with it.

I've also always been told by others that my name doesn't really seem to suit me. I've met others with the same name, and we really were nothing alike.

Those associations are mere social constructs. It might give you some experiences that affect you, but that isn't a name affecting personality. It's not like the name you choose decides the personality a kid pops out with. That doesn't make any logical sense, at least not based on anything factual. Someone could probably rationalize some sort of mystical, spiritual beliefs, but those wouldn't be built on anything concrete or fact based. It'd also be stupid in my opinion because I mean, how is a social construct going to make any difference to what is inside of the womb? Social constructs might impact personality when growing up, as it might shape one's experiences at times, but that's not a name influencing personality. It's social dynamics influencing personality. At the end of the day, though, whether you're even going to be influenced by those things is also personality. It's entirely possible for one to feel disconnected from how others are treating you, and/or for you to instead influence how they treat you.
    Last edited by Fluffy Princess Unicorn; 10-17-2021 at 07:11 PM.

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha…I just remembered when some coworkers were like, “You don't seem like a [your name].” Then, they actually renamed me. That name didn't suit me either, but I didn't mind. I thought it was funny.

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Comparticularly Mental View Post
    How did you get that idea?
    Psychology says that call ppl 'names' or Say stuff to ppl affect them (especially when young). I think it could be kinda the same with ppls names? Also obviously influences how others see or treat them from several angles.

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    I think it's likely that names do influence the choices of individuals. Surnames too, like Mort and Sexsmith might influence choice of career for example.

Also, I could easily predict psychological or cultural inclinations from names, even if it is very broad generalisations based on traditional gender associations. I remember reading a paper which showed that people with Arabic forenames in Indonesia were more pious Muslims than the rest of the Muslim population.
    the question was about names influencing personality, not piety.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there is def something to it. Have you ever googled someone’s whole name and saw people pop up that kinda look similar and it creeps you out lol, like there is def something to this.

certain names have certain connotations. An outfit or facial expressions can give someone first impressions, as can a name. I think a bunch of things all come together in a name, a certain concoction in a name that’s reaction is dependent on time and society, that can bring about influences on a person and/or their reaction to said person.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure several studies have demonstrated an effect of names on various aspects of behaviour. Whether or not they affect sociotype specifically, I'm not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if they had some sort of impact. I doubt the influence is particularly strong though when compared to other contributing factors. Speaking anecdotally however, I'm close with two ILEs who both have the same name just spelled a little differently

Also IRL I have what a lot of people consider to be a "girls' name". It's technically unisex, but that didn't stop Kaiser from "correcting" my records to show I was female several times. I had to assure them that I was in fact male, always had been, and am perfectly happy with my assigned gender... multiple years in a row lol
    Anyways, I wouldn't be surprised if that affected me in some way
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

While I think the term "piety" can be loaded, it is an aspect of personality.
    do you really think that those muslims were more pious cuz of their names?

Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    TIM
    RLOAI, maybe
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Number 9 large View Post
    do you really think that those muslims were more pious cuz of their names?
    I just checked the paper, the term used was "religiosity". (The link to the pdf file is here: https://www.jeffreyljensen.com/uploa...r_june2020.pdf )

I think it would have played some part. But I think the most significant aspect would be that parents that score high on religiosity are more likely to indoctrinate their children with a higher level of religiosity, and that Arabic names is a reflection of that.

There is evidence that a person's surname has an effect on what occupation they have, so yes, I do think you can have an informed guess about a person's religiosity based on their name. Similarly, in England and Wales in 2020, 3,710 children were named "Muhammad". I would be surprised if the vast majority of parents who named their child this way are not Muslim. I would also be surprised if the majority of grandparents weren't Muslim either.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomina...rical_evidence

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I just checked the paper, the term used was "religiosity". (The link to the pdf file is here: https://www.jeffreyljensen.com/uploa...r_june2020.pdf )

I think it would have played some part. But I think the most significant aspect would be that parents that score high on religiosity are more likely to indoctrinate their children with a higher level of religiosity, and that Arabic names is a reflection of that.

There is evidence that a person's surname has an effect on what occupation they have, so yes, I do think you can have an informed guess about a person's religiosity based on their name. Similarly, in England and Wales in 2020, 3,710 children were named "Muhammad". I would be surprised if the vast majority of parents who named their child this way are not Muslim. I would also be surprised if the majority of grandparents weren't Muslim either.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomina...rical_evidence
    Yes but the question was whether name influences personality and the answer is still no

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Kinda. A lot of Sams I've met are also laid-back like I am and kind of sarcastic/pervy etc. Then again there are Sams like Britney Spears boyfriend who I don't think I'm much alike at all. I could be wrong I don't know him that well but from what I know of him- we are nothing alike really lol. I'm a nerd/video game loser - he's some popular Bachelor-like 'personal trainer' Chad. Not that those things can't be mutually exclusive obviously but in this case- they are lol.

This reminds me of a funny convo I had with hitta once lol I said 'all Kens are sadistic bullies' since I knew a Ken once and he was a sadistic jerk-off (but I forgave him cuz he redeemed himself- long story), Hitta knew a Ken and he was a nice guy lol. ((well according to hitta- think of that what you will))

Yeah I don't think it means much really- a name is just a label. You could call me Rebecca or Andrew and I would still just be me, you know? That's kind of a deeper spriitual truth of drag in a sense - we have silly names, but what's in a name?

Yours truly,
    Sister Shy Whore

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Sam - laidback and cool, kinda two-faced (?)

I definitely can be two-faced- but it's because I'm ambivalent and don't know what I really want. ((I want Se to "force" me in this sense I think)) I've re-rolled my RPG class so many times thinking I finally found the one that fits me only to change my mind again and start from scratch. Why I'm liking Final Fantasy XIV now is any one character can be all the classes. Fits with my natural two-faced ambivalency a lot better.