Thread: Which type takes out of character huge changes, just to regret it later?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Which type takes out of character huge changes, just to regret it later?

Which types are most inclined to (out of character) suddenly leave a situation (school, job, sports) but come back short afterwards because they lack persistence and are overwhelmed by all the potential negativity that could come from the new situation dynamics and its people?
    Like, using an example from my teenage years, leaving a sports team because the trainer is an absolute piece of shit, and because they founded a new team close to your house, but then you start playing with the new team and you realise you left all your old teammates to jump into uncertainty. And you realise maybe the new pitch is closer to your house so your parents spend less money for gasoline, but you have no friends. So after a couple months you change back, but you get treated like a traitor for a long time.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Impulsivity. I'm not sure this is type related, something tells me it isn't, but if I had to tie it to something socionics related, perhaps weak Ni (lack of foresight before acting) and/or irrationality (lack of planning before acting). But there could be other factors influencing impulsivity, such as hot-headedness, which doesn't seem type related.
    Last edited by WVBRY; 10-18-2021 at 06:27 AM.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Btw, why are you asking this question? Is it to figure out your type? Because I don't see it as something specific to one type. I can see it as related to type, sure, but not defining of it. Also, if this behavior happened only a few times, it probably doesn't mean much imo.

TIM
    ExFx (don't type me)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bet SEEs would, although I would not have acted that way regarding that sports team situation!

Restricted user
    TIM
    SLI-Si 6w5 613 sp/so
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many types would do this, if not all occasionally. SLI being one that does it time to time but not frequently.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

IEIs and to a lesser extent EIEs tend to have big grass-is-greener-somewhere-else attitudes; their idealism causes them to often pursue unrealistic goals, and their need for immediate resolution or closure (impatience) often prevents them from considering the negative consequences of their actions.

a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have done this many times. I can get dissatisfied with my current situation then get too emotional and do something impulsive.

I also think all types can do this in different ways for different reasons.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I agree that I could see a lot of different types doing this for various reasons

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Supposedly types score higher on the NEO-PI-R trait of Impulsiveness.
    https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...=1#post1133999

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    Supposedly types score higher on the NEO-PI-R trait of Impulsiveness.
    https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...=1#post1133999
    Isn't that with respect to the MBTI system and not Socionics?

a.k.a. I/O

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelondeck View Post
    Isn't that with respect to the MBTI system and not Socionics?

a.k.a. I/O
    Big Five, so yes, not Socionics.