View Poll Results: Are you generally on time?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 33.33%
  • No

3 14.29%
  • yes only on work things

2 9.52%
  • I am ALWAYS on time

3 14.29%
  • I am NEVER on time

5 23.81%
  • I am here to nag about others

1 4.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you on time?

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Are you on time?

Can you track what amount of time has passed or required for an activity?

Or do you lose the sense of time?

Are you generally on time, late or early?

Which types more prone to lose their sense of time and which types more prone to not get it out of their head?

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Lots of ESE's seem to get stuck in a social sphere hence and may feel obligated to participate (getting trapped in Fi).
    IEE's Ni ignoring (might overdo some time based things in relations, mb) with Ti structure makes them irregular.
    ILE's tend to not place a lot of emphasis on completion of things on time unless pressure (like it has to be ready in 60 minutes). They usually do not care about efficient time distribution in personal sphere (they may become trapped in their own Ni timelessness).
    LSE's may be anxious about time limits Ni PoLR and Ti ignoring (get trapped in Ti structural perfectionism).
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I am going to meet with people, I know what time I should be there and I know the time required to get there. However, I just eat stuff, listen music, doing whatever and do not care if I am going to be late or not, I am compelled to do what I want in those moments.

So I am that person that you hate. Interestingly, although I have different kinds of friends, noone makes it a big deal. Some did it at first, but then they got used to it, maybe they see it is not personal and some caved in. I dont feel guilty before I arrive there, but if I am late, after I arrive, I feel guilt, then it passes away.

At work, I am on time at first, but if other people are late and if that is ok, then I go there late. If I stop caring about work, I go there late.

On important occasions such as job meetings, some exams etc, I am on time.

I know how much time an activity requires if I have done it. If I haven't but have done similar things, I can estimate it, but it is not perfectly accurate. For example, I can say 2 hours, it can take 4 hours, however, it doesnt take a day.

When I am doing something I am into, I lose the track of time. I can spend hours on something and may not even think how much time I spend.

Is this low Ni or Ni ignoring or Ni devaluing?

Any 4D Ni types relates to this?

TIM
    ISTP
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by myresearch
    Can you track what amount of time has passed or required for an activity?

Or do you lose the sense of time?

Are you generally on time, late or early?

Which types more prone to lose their sense of time and which types more prone to not get it out of their head?
    I always lose track of time and end up late unless I can make up the time by moving very fast. I’m almost never early and usually just a bit late.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have always been really conscious of time, how much has passed, how much I have left when I need to be somewhere when I'll show up, etc.

I can usually guess the time of day pretty accurately. I like moments, as rare as they are, when I forget time.

When I am really exhausted from lack of sleep and stress I can take a nap and wake up in the dark completely unaware of how much time has passed.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's weird hearing everyone else's stories. I always get frustrated at my brother for being late to literally everything. He just doesn't know how time passes. He gets distracted fixing his hair, finding the right jacket, or making food. I'll be pacing around waiting on him all the time.

My mother-in-law is the same way. Even my fiancee can be forgetful of time. My mom is the same problem but opposite behavior, she plans for things way too early. She'll ask to start to think of Christmas gifts in July. Plan for parties months ahead of them happening.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I tend to be way too early because I'm always allowing for potential difficulties en route; I don't recall ever being late; but I set alarms because I do lose track of time when I'm working on something. Habitual tardiness has little to do with type; it's more to do with acquired attitudes of privilege.

a.k.a. I/O

Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get fucking paranoid about being late to anything cause I know how easily I can forget. I try and and be hella early so I can chill afterward. I feel like a roasting sinner if I’m late lol

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelondeck View Post
    I tend to be way too early because I'm always allowing for potential difficulties en route; I don't recall ever being late; I set alarms because I do lose track of time when I'm working on something. Habitual tardiness has little to do with type; it's more to do with acquired attitudes of privilege.

a.k.a. I/O
    I also set alarms.

About acquired attitudes of privilege, I acquire it by being late Noone can do anything about it, it is strange

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MissDucki View Post
    I get fucking paranoid about being late to anything cause I know how easily I can forget. I try and and be hella early so I can chill afterward. I feel like a roasting sinner if I’m late lol

My Dad does this, he also hates lateness and will yell at the people that work for him for being late.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I’m late all the time. Just as predicted for LIEs.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    My LxE mother is also late most of the time, maybe I got it from her. But she is different, she tries to do other things before and while getting ready like putting dishes to dishwasher, taking garbage out, having a work call.

I start to get prepare when I want, not particularly because I do other things done and I am way more quick to get ready once I start.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I have to get up and be somewhere early in the morning, and it’s somewhere I have to consistently be at (school, work), a lot of times I’m either very close to the time or trying to beat the clock to be there on time, which means I’m speeding, doing everything in a rush etc. and I usually make it there maybe a tad bit late, just in time, or a tad early. Im almost never chronically early, unless it’s something that isn’t an everyday thing (jury duty, meeting of some kind), and have to figure out where to go and don’t know much about what I’m doing, because I want time to figure everything out.

if I tell a friend/family member a certain time to meet up or pick them up, I’m usually there around that time, give or take 10 min. I hate being later, though. I’d rather be five minutes early or even exactly on time. Usually I’m later when I’m in one of my depressive moods or distracted by something on line, like an argument with someone. lol

my husband (SLE probs) makes me late everywhere. He shows up like an hour late to family events, drops me off 10 min late for dr appts. I hate being late for dr appts or showing up that late for events. I get so embarrassed. He’s usually late himself and is trying to beat the clock to work, school. So in that way we are very similar. He also is chronically early for new events or uncommon ones like jury duty. Usually too early, imo. I can basically tell you everyone I knows relationship to time, and estimate what time they are likely to be somewhere, by their past behavior and what’s going on in their life at the time. And I’m usually pretty damn close.

last time I had my husband take me to a dr appt I told him the appt was 5 minutes before the actual time, and he was exactly 5 minutes late in getting me there. He was like, looks like you are going to be a little late. And I said, I think it’ll be ok

my mom, ESE prob is chronically late everywhere. She takes her time snail speed with everything, like she has all the time in the world. I used to get detention in school because she dropped she off late almost everyday and was like 20 minutes late picking me up. I was always the last kid waiting.

I also don’t have an alarm. I think I wake up so much and around the same time, it doesn’t matter. If I have my mind set in a certain time, it’s like mind is anticipating it and won’t let me rest completely. Maybe it’s anxiety. idk.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by myresearch View Post
    My LxE mother is also late most of the time, maybe I got it from her. But she is different, she tries to do other things before and while getting ready like putting dishes to dishwasher, taking garbage out, having a work call.

I start to get prepare when I want, not particularly because I do other things done and I am way more quick to get ready once I start.
    @myresearch, trying to do too much is exactly why I'm usually late. But this is also the predicted reason for why LIEs are late.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post

Are EIEs supposed to be late all the time, too? I'm never late

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eudaimonia View Post
    Are EIEs supposed to be late all the time, too? I'm never late
    EIEs are generally not late. However, at workplace, if they know nothing is going to happen, then they can be.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Eudaimonia

my EIE grandma seemed to always be on time. My 9 year old EIE is, too. So ime, they aren’t late very often

love the new avatar btw
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm very on time, and usually always show up 15 minutes or so before things start. I also live in Japan though where this is a cultural expectation, so that contributes somewhat. Even in the US though I was the same way. I really hate being late for things, and particularly when I was younger being late for school was a massive source of stress for me (my ESE mom drove me and she was much less concerned about time than me who insisted on being one of the first people in the classroom every morning). I'm much more chill about it now, but I've still kept the habit of being very punctual unless it's for something that punctuality truly doesn't matter for at all (drop-in parties and such)
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Many have said that weird understanding of time. Like my pace can match exactly meet the needs of others or be even better. I don't plan, I just improvise it so. Maybe this is Te or ignoramus Ni. I can not use it for my own needs.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PseudoRandomBSGenerator View Post
    Many have said that weird understanding of time. Like my pace can match exactly meet the needs of others or be even better. I don't plan, I just improvise it so. Maybe this is Te or ignoramus Ni. I can not use it for my own needs.
    At the end are you late or not?

By the way, I think everyone rushes and uses some methods when they are on the go if they think they are going to be late.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yeah, my husband does something like says he wants to leave somewhere at 5, but we (me and my girls) all know that isn’t likely to happen. And it’s going to be more like 7. So he’s usually way off on when he’s going to be somewhere or want to leave somewhere. He’s always been like this. I’ve made a bit of a game out of guessing what time he’s really going to be somewhere. We even place bets on it.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reverie View Post
    Oh yeah, my husband does something like says he wants to leave somewhere at 5, but we (me and my girls) all know that isn’t likely to happen. And it’s going to be more like 7. So he’s usually way off on when he’s going to be somewhere or want to leave somewhere. He’s always been like this. I’ve made a bit of a game out of guessing what time he’s really going to be somewhere. We even place bets on it.
    Does he do other stuff like work or doing some house work?

Does he do whatever in that meantime? Like watching something useless?

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beta NFs are on time except some exceptions, if they dont want to work, can come work a bit late, other than that they weren't late.

1D Ni types are generally late.

How about Ne egos and 2D Ni types?

ISxx types were generally on time according to my observations. Has anyone know another kind?

I don't have sufficient observations about Ne-egos, IEEs can be late or on time.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does he do other stuff like work or doing some house work?

Does he do whatever in that meantime? Like watching something useless?
    Yes.

Actually. I’ll give you a recent real life example.

So he says he wants to go to this holly moparty in kentuck for some parts he needs for his car. It was the 17, 18, and 19 of this month. He has an important test this morning he’s been studying his butt off for and didn’t want to be gone long so he could study for it some more. So his ‘plan’ he told me, was to leave Thursday around 4 and drive the 4 hours to Kentucky. And we would get there around 9, considering eating and restroom breaks. He seems like he sincerely believes this is possible. But I know then, it’s going to be more like us leaving at 8 and getting there at 12. Then he says he wants to get up early and go to the moparty when it first starts at like 8am.

Let’s see what really happens. He starts studying and messing around with plane stuff on Thursday. Studying,
    Talking, doing random shit for other people with planes. Doesn’t leave airport until around 7:30pm (mind you we are suppose to leave around 4). So we leave around 8, and get half way there at around midnight. We wake up around 8ish, drive 2 more hours, eat brunch, and get there around noon (the time he wanted to leave there by). We don’t leave until 4 after he looks over the whole stretch of the place, and half of it again, and talks a lot. My 12 year old daughter and I were laying in the grass literally dying. Think we got home around 10:30pm-ish, which wasn’t bad.

It’s just the times he ‘plans for’ are usually 3-4 hours behind, it seems. kind of a rule of thumb for me. Gets distracted talking to people about things and working on things, looses track of time
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very rarely late.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Poptart View Post
    Very rarely late.
    What about your ILE brother and your LII ex? Were they generally late or on time or btw?

TIM
    SEI 9w1
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't tell how much time I'll need to do something. It's either I take too much time or too little. I'm either too early for things or I'm late.
    It takes effort for me to show up on time for things. I'll say I'm gonna get ready at a certain time that I think is early enough then still end up late somehow. Maybe because I end up idling. Yea this seems to be my problem. I might have the right time but I get distracted and end up spending the time doing whatever want.

That said, I can still show up on time for things occasionally. I don't like showing up late but I also don't like showing up early because I hate waiting.
    Chronic "grass is always greener" syndrome

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it’s important, I tend to overshoot and arrive early. As a general rule though I don’t like to be fastidious about time. If I want to meet someone, I’ll say “let’s meet about so-and-so.” And when I make plans alone I never plan or hold myself to specific times.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about your ILE brother and your LII ex? Were they generally late or on time or btw?
    My ILE brother is usually where he wants to be, whether that’s early or late.

My LII ex sometimes ran late.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i can have trouble getting up in the morning and for this reason i set a sequence of adrenaline inducing alarms to panic myself into wakefulness. it still is a struggle and i need a spurt of energy to do things really fast for like the 15 minutes i give myself because it takes so long to wake up, but it's enough time to throw something on and bolt out the door. i am not a morning person. if i don't have to be up early for work or something important, i can become a time delay... though i will pretend it was all very whimsical even though it was kinda intentional. i am generally good at getting where i need to be right on time, early if i want, or late if i want.

i feel Ni might be overly associated with time and Si under associated with it. i think Si helps my morning get ready at the last minute thing because it helps me know how much time i need given my state of no energy. i can't always get myself moving super fast, and when that is the case my perception of how long i need and how fast time is moving changes to adapt.

eta: i am capable of getting lost in thought and losing track of time, but it's not really that common.
    Last edited by marooned; 09-20-2021 at 05:16 PM.

TIM
    HN-SLI-Te
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm almost always on time, especially if it's something I do routinely. When I was studying at uni, I even knew the timing of traffic light, when to walk faster and when slower to have green light constantly, I like optimizing things like that. When I do something new I appear sooner than needed just in case so I'm rarely late, not never though.

Once I was late for a train. I had to get to the station by bus first, I chose one that should get there ~20 min before the train departs, it arrived 10 min late but still another 10 to find the train, should be easy... well, not. Some idiots thought it's a good idea to make the bus and train station in the opposite parts of a building divided by a mall and very incomplete and confusing signage. I frantically ran through that thing trying to find the way, at some point I swear a sign pointed at some suspiciously small plain door with no info on them (later realized it meant a path behind the wall with the door) so I went there and got into suspiciously narrow corridor (however before that I went with other people through some underground tunnel in construction that made this passage less out of place), I opened the door at the end of it and saw another similar corridor and I thought that maybe it's some employee-only place, I turned around and saw a security man walking toward me, that was so awkward . He believed me when I said I just got confused and let me go, probably relieved I wasn't an al-Qaeda bomber. When I finally found the train platform, I could only wave at a leaving train. Fortunately, my ticket allowed me to go by the next train an hour later.

Other than that, I remember once being late for a class in a building I've never been in because it was in a campus that only had two entrances very far apart and I forgot to check it before going there, also being late to meet a friend because my roommate occupied the toilet when I was about to leave. 3 situations in past few years that I remember, not much I think.

I'm not good at estimating how much time a task may take, more often I underestimate. I rarely get immersed in a task so much that I lose sense of time, it always puzzled me how people say they forgot to eat for example.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by qaz00 View Post
    I'm not good at estimating how much time a task may take, more often I underestimate. I rarely get immersed in a task so much that I lose sense of time, it always puzzled me how people say they forgot to eat for example.
    I am one of those who doesn't eat if I am immersed. This doesn't happen rarely, I thought this was because my demo Ni, but my demo might not be Ni, so I don't know what is that about

TIM
    ISTP
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Usually my being late is exactly because I try to do too much in a given time slot. I tend to procrastinate doing something fun instead and then cram all the required stuff in a tiny window. Despite this I get more done than the dutiful people that are on time. I’m simply so much more effective when I start actually doing stuff.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'm on time for everything almost perfectly. Probably due to my 4D valued primary function Ni. And/or because I don't really plan too much during the day where I'm doing too much where I'd be late for anything.

I tried to think of something where I was late to and I couldn't even think of a time where I was late even once lol. Oh yeah - one time I was exactly one minute late for work lol.

My LII dad was often 15 minutes too early to places and my mom is often 30 minutes to an hour late for things. With assistance from others she can be on time though- everybody needs help with their polr.

Restricted user
    TIM
    SLI-Si 6w5 613 sp/so
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Usually up to an hour early or 15 minutes late. No in between.

TIM
    SEI 9w1
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BandD View Post
    I'm on time for everything almost perfectly. Probably due to my 4D valued primary function Ni. And/or because I don't really plan too much during the day where I'm doing too much where I'd be late for anything.

I tried to think of something where I was late to and I couldn't even think of a time where I was late even once lol. Oh yeah - one time I was exactly one minute late for work lol.

My LII dad was often 15 minutes too early to places and my mom is often 30 minutes to an hour late for things. With assistance from others she can be on time though- everybody needs help with their polr.
    Wow this is something I admire (you lucky people with gift of Ni). Even if I have nothing to do during the day I will still somehow end up late.
    Chronic "grass is always greener" syndrome

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Wow this is something I admire (you lucky people with gift of Ni). Even if I have nothing to do during the day I will still somehow end up late.

Yeah when I was younger I was obsessed with what time it was and tried to play a game where I could guess what time it was and then look at a clock to see if I was right etc. ((and was pretty close most times)) - I thought about it so much, it was really nerdy- but looking back it was definitely a 4D Ni thing I think. I notice Ni polrs also care what time it is- but in a more paranoid/anxious/nervous way. I was coolly curious about it- it was never something that gave me anxiety.

TIM
    IEI-Fe-DCh so/sx
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm late all the time.. I am only punctual if it's for something important like catching the train or an airplane, where I sometimes end up there way to early. For every other situation, not even (implicit) social expectations will make be more punctual.

Banned
    TIM
    IEE-Ne cp684 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm always late, with mechanical regularity, like a broken clock. At least 5-10 minutes, unless it's some important work/doctor appointment/train to catch/a concert, then I'm early because I plan carefully. I was the "always late" dude in college. My friends have invented a "lkdhf qkb time" and tell me a different meeting time than everybody else (smtg like H-15) so I am on time for dinner.

I don't think I have a bad sense of time or underestimate by much how long things take. However, I often overestimate the amount of energy I have, so that I'm running late on projects because I postpone things to recover. I'm also very disorganized. When I plan something, I always forget one or two steps, which displaces everything; I think it has mostly to do with bad Te/Ti. I don't think about making time for the unexpected much at all, either.

In general I'm too casual about the flow of things. I also have a hard time speeding up the pace when I need to, I have a certain inertia. My relationship to time is best captured in the picture of someone on a river raft. I let myself be carried along and I don't like to paddle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast