Thread: Sheltered DS function

TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sheltered DS function

The DS function, being one-dimensional is, supposedly experience based. Therefore, if one's experience is limited or if the person is sheltered it stands to reason that their ability to socialize or integrate best would be hampered.

I met an SEI who worked with special needs individuals. She was very curious about others, was willing to improve using, perhaps, "mysterious" methods and could make connections between disparate things.

I met another SEI who's idea of novelty was joking around, pun usage and the occasional foray into unusual non-fiction documentaries.

These SEI were cool but exemplary of how invested each happened to be in DS function development

My question is this: How has experiencing your DS function made your life better? Conversely, would you say having inexperienced DS made your life trite?

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hopped majors a lot in college, I wanted to be all kinds of things but one of them was a mathematician. I started to take the required math classes and I quickly realized that I liked the idea of being a mathematician than actually being a mathematician who does math every day. After realizing that I couldn't just power my way through it, I switched to computer science, and then the same thing happened and I switched to something else called "Information Systems". Which is basically a business degree. But I went through a lot of hard classes that forced me to develop my Ti (and Te). I am thankful for all my stubbornness because it allowed me to go through that hardship even though I was miserable at the time. I still have 1D Ti and I mostly goof off on here so it doesn't really show, but I have a really well-developed DS function and role.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

TIM
    IEI 4w5
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Cat View Post
    The DS function, being one-dimensional is, supposedly experience based. Therefore, if one's experience is limited or if the person is sheltered it stands to reason that their ability to socialize or integrate best would be hampered.

I met an SEI who worked with special needs individuals. She was very curious about others, was willing to improve using, perhaps, "mysterious" methods and could make connections between disparate things.

I met another SEI who's idea of novelty was joking around, pun usage and the occasional foray into unusual non-fiction documentaries.

These SEI were cool but exemplary of how invested each happened to be in DS function development

My question is this: How has experiencing your DS function made your life better? Conversely, would you say having inexperienced DS made your life trite?
    Do we know the same SEIs? Seriously, though, very interesting thread. Do you have any personal experiences you want to share with Ni?

I didn't grow up with much Se, although I feel like it was also expected of me in some ways, so not sure if I turned out strangely for an IEI or not. Mom's SEI, Dad's ILI-Ni, and my sister is probably Ne dom. My closest friends were mostly N types. Issues of assertiveness, exploration, getting off one's butt, etc...yes, I can see these as recurring themes in my life. Yet life has forced me to confront them time after time, so kind of like @Eudaimonia, I feel like I was forced to develop both DS and role because of my circumstances. I was not handed a life where I could sit back and not think about my inferior.

I think my dad expected Se from me. He was a pretty lethargic guy but would praise me when I was a hard worker, go-getter, etc., so clearly he was wanting me to act as a dual.

TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aria View Post
    Do we know the same SEIs? Seriously, though, very interesting thread. Do you have any personal experiences you want to share with Ni?

I didn't grow up with much Se, although I feel like it was also expected of me in some ways, so not sure if I turned out strangely for an IEI or not. Mom's SEI, Dad's ILI-Ni, and my sister is probably Ne dom. My closest friends were mostly N types. Issues of assertiveness, exploration, getting off one's butt, etc...yes, I can see these as recurring themes in my life. Yet life has forced me to confront them time after time, so kind of like @Eudaimonia, I feel like I was forced to develop both DS and role because of my circumstances. I was not handed a life where I could sit back and not think about my inferior.

I think my dad expected Se from me. He was a pretty lethargic guy but would praise me when I was a hard worker, go-getter, etc., so clearly he was wanting me to act as a dual.
    Interesting replies.

Being able to converse with your dual well is an rich experience. If a person refuses to engage their DS meaningfully, conversations with your dual might not be meaningful either

IEI can have beautiful intentions for their life even if, practically, they could use a little help. That practical help isn't problematic provided duals truly "dualize".

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ugh. I think generally the idea is experiencing it with people who have it in real life? Then it just makes you live again.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eudaimonia View Post
    I hopped majors a lot in college, I wanted to be all kinds of things but one of them was a mathematician. I started to take the required math classes and I quickly realized that I liked the idea of being a mathematician than actually being a mathematician who does math every day. After realizing that I couldn't just power my way through it, I switched to computer science, and then the same thing happened and I switched to something else called "Information Systems". Which is basically a business degree. But I went through a lot of hard classes that forced me to develop my Ti (and Te). I am thankful for all my stubbornness because it allowed me to go through that hardship even though I was miserable at the time. I still have 1D Ti and I mostly goof off on here so it doesn't really show, but I have a really well-developed DS function and role.
    Yeah I had a similar experience actually!

Except my path was: Engineering (Didn't like math) -> Information Technology (Couldn't sit at a computer all day) -> History Teacher (Don't want to be a teacher in the U.S.) -> Chemist (Liked the idea more than practice) -> Finance (Easier more profitable science)

We must be clones..

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Yeah I had a similar experience actually!

Except my path was: Engineering (Didn't like math) -> Information Technology (Couldn't sit at a computer all day) -> History Teacher (Don't want to be a teacher in the U.S.) -> Chemist (Liked the idea more than practice) -> Finance (Easier more profitable science)

We must be clones..

Fellow chameleon.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bump, I want to hear from an Se dom.

or a Ti dom

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generally people who don't learn to integrate their inferior function become terribly boring and shallow people; the effects worsen over time. @Eudaimonia, when LxI don't engage Fe they cut themselves off from the world and have to cede an ever-greater range of thought. I haven't seen this happen often enough in LSI to say much about it other than they become mean-spirited and reclusive. LIIs’ thinking becomes concerned only with abstract "ideas," if they can be called that, which aren't insightful and tend to be little more than disguised tautologies. This kind of LII is common in academia.

There are two reasons I think aversion to Fe does this to LII. Firstly Ti doesn't make value judgements; that's what Fe is for (even Te isn't so neutral; Te users think for the purpose of doing something else). When an LII suppresses his ability to use Fe he's suppressing his ability to determine what's ultimately meaningful or worth pursuing. A statement like "A = A" is the most value-neutral logical expression possible, and also the most useless. Then there's also the fact that Fe requires a certain ability to look at one's self objectively, which would show the LII how ridiculous his thoughts are or his approach to life is, but when Fe is suppressed he has no reason to do this.
    Last edited by FreelancePoliceman; 09-20-2021 at 06:10 PM.

TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An Se-dom with a shitty Ni: Jenna Marbles doing Drunk make-up tutorials on her YouTube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXzwAXzUwwE
    An Se-dom with a cool Ni: Leonardo DiCaprio using his twitter account to promote environmental issues
    https://twitter.com/LeoDiCaprio

Which of those SLEs would an IEI want to have an interesting cup of coffee with.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm highly skeptical that jenna is SLE, i seem to recall a lot of EIE typings for her? i think she has 4d Fe in any case.

i agree leo has 4d Se, but i've been kinda uncertain about his type.

Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think once you have a good experience with your dual seeking function, it will be forever sheltered. I was very scared of Ne and I always tried everything in my power to avoid it. Once I got a positive taste of it, it worked out for the better. Now I seek it out more. My family is generally not a big fan of Ne in general and we are all sensors so we were super shelter in our dual seeking function. My siblings are Ni dual seekers though, they don’t really seal out any Ni to be honest.

TIM
    HN-SLI-Te
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Cat View Post
    An Se-dom with a shitty Ni: Jenna Marbles doing Drunk make-up tutorials on her YouTube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXzwAXzUwwE
    An Se-dom with a cool Ni: Leonardo DiCaprio using his twitter account to promote environmental issues
    https://twitter.com/LeoDiCaprio

Which of those SLEs would an IEI want to have an interesting cup of coffee with.
    Jenna Marbles: ESE
    Leonardo DiCaprio: introverted, maybe ESI

TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by qaz00 View Post
    Jenna Marbles: ESE
    Leonardo DiCaprio: introverted, maybe ESI
    Jenna Marbles as an ESE is funnier than the time that NFL coach was giving a presser, farted while speaking, then replied to another question like he was a duck in water. He got fired two weeks later & remains a legend for that moment in history.

TIM
    INFp / VEFL
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's hard for me to really identify what Se is but I feel like my DS function is challenged when I travel to new places alone and it feels good. Being in a new place that I know nothing about, figuring things out on my own and dealing with issues as they come is very fulfilling. I always meet new people who change my perspective on things and I learn new things about myself. Then when I come back home my head is filled with new memories and I can daydream even better basically lol.

Being in a familiar place feels good but I feel like being Ni dom I figure people out and get comfortable too quickly; then I get bored and try to shake things up in the most clumsy and ineffective ways. Traveling and moving out to new places has helped me out with that quit a lot.

I also enjoy going hikes alone because it brings me similar benefits. But I stick to the easy ones and I only go when I'm really really bored and don't know what to do to feel "alive" anymore.