Thread: Using your lead vs using your demo

TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Using your lead vs using your demo

Although the demonstrate function is not valued, I've read that it can be stronger and easier to use than their lead.

I believe the lead is the function is all prefer to use but the demo might be stronger and actually easier to use. What are your experiences?

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I wouldn't say it's stronger or easier but I think it's fairly easy to 'turn it on' in society if you have to. Individually people would much rather use their primary ego function and feel the most comfortable doing it when left alone to their own personal devices. Ignoring function is also pretty strong and 3D. But you'd much rather well... ignore it.

I think it's not valued because it's something you'd rather give to the world in an essence rather than keep to your head. You'd rather explain all the nuances and the 'secrets' to it- which is how the dual's PoLR becomes tanked in an ideal scenerio. It is done in a way where you clearly don't give a shit or expect the other person to respond in that way either- IEE's Fe demonstrative I think is such a very good example of this lol.

I think a person views their demonstrative function a lot like they do manure. Manure isn't valued ((it's literal shit)) but it needs to be spread around. And you are quite good at spreading it around etc.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, it's easier to know how and when I use the demonstrative rather than my lead. I just do my lead all the time and do not think about it.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good, coherent replies. I'd describe my use of demo the same but kinda wondered how others use it. I've also read that the demo has more of an arrogant quality to it. Not saying the lead can't be arrogant, just that the demo tends to be more arrogant.

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I very much agree with how @BandD explained it. I use Fi when Fi is expected of me, and it's helpful whenever I'm with a group of Fi-valuers who decide they wanna start circle-jerking over how hip their morals are, but I feel significantly more comfortable in a space where people can say horribly offensive shit and no one freaks out. Fi is there. It's a tool I'm good at. I know exactly how to respond when people try probing my Fi, but I really just don't care about it, and I'm never gonna feel 100% comfortable in a place where its use is over-demanded

Edit: Just adding that I actually enjoy discussing morals in a Ti way. That's quite fun for me. I love dissecting moral questions in a cold and emotionless sort of way
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I've also read that the demo has more of an arrogant quality to it. Not saying the lead can't be arrogant, just that the demo tends to be more arrogant.
    I don't think it's arrogant at all - it's the opposite of arrogance. Arrogant function is probably ego or even creative function. Actually I think creative function is probably the most arrogant. Typical pretentious 'creative' artist etc. I think SEEs are arrogant with Fi and I think I'm arrogant with Fe. And jeez look at ESE and their Si LOL.

TIM
    SLI 5w6
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use Ti more when I am working but I tend to just shut it off otherwise. Once in a while I will use it in a discussion, especially when I see a lack of Ti, but it annoys my wife when I do it since her Ti seems pretty weak.