Thread: Anyone else hesitant to talk about Socionics with people unfamiliar with it?

TIM
    Alexandr Dumbass
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Anyone else hesitant to talk about Socionics with people unfamiliar with it?

One thing that makes me very pessimistic about getting new acquaintances is the fact I need to talk about Socionics. However, I don't wanna introduce it to anyone. For a multitude of reasons. First, and possibly the most narcissistic, is that really... it's just cringy when I see people talk about the type they think they are even though it's blaringly obvious it's not true. My more empathic concern though is seeing how it can potentially instigate drama, get people into internet circles where they are gaslit and doxxed. I really just wanna talk with other fairly experienced Socionists

Anyone else feel like this?

TIM
    LII 5w6-1w9-2w1
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One needs time to learn Socionics and Jung. My experience is that 1 year is needed when self-studying.

I came to Socionics around 2 years ago. At first I read Wikisocion. Then I got to Gulenko's materials and Ben Vaserlan's diagrams. At that time I still failed to understand how Socionics is connected to Jung's original text. I read Ermak's text, he said that Socionics extended Jung's definition of introversion and I once held the same perspective.

In the third stage I begin to study the mathematics of Socionics. Finally, I connect Socionics with Jung's original text in the fourth step. I read Jung's Psychological Types and Tavistock Lectures for several times and now I see the connections clearly. Now I believe that Socionics (Model A) has exactly the same definition of introversion-extraversion as Jung.

So I think at least 1 year is needed to command Socionics and Jung's typology. I agree that it's not very easy to communicate with other people.

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get what you mean, but also I don't think I'm really that hesitant. It's more that I try to gauge people's interest in it and won't bother bringing it up with people who I don't think will care. I'm a teacher both by trade and in heart though, so I can't really resist the opportunity to explain systems to people lol

Generally I'll mention it offhand a couple of times over the course of a few weeks and if they seem receptive I'll steer the conversation that way whenever it seems to flow most naturally and I'll spend like an hour explaining how it works. All my friends know what their most likely type is and at least enough about the theory to follow me when I'm talking about it. My last victim was a Canadian friend I went on a roadtrip with a few weeks ago. We had about 5 hours of driving and managed to figure out he was EII. I already suspected he was, but my policy is to give people the theory and have them tell me what they resonate with most before I consider their type to be fully figured out.

My current project is figuring out how to explain it in Japanese. I've gotten better at it, but only after failing pretty miserably several times. Luckily there's a Japanese Socionics blog I can redirect people to: https://www.izayoiblog.com
    Last time I went out drinking with a couple of my Japanese friends they looked through type descriptions and settled on EII and ESI respectively. Those both seemed correct to me, but I was also pretty drunk, so who knows lol
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AWellArmedCat View Post
    I get what you mean, but also I don't think I'm really that hesitant. It's more that I try to gauge people's interest in it and won't bother bringing it up with people who I don't think will care. I'm a teacher both by trade and in heart though, so I can't really resist the opportunity to explain systems to people lol

Generally I'll mention it offhand a couple of times over the course of a few weeks and if they seem receptive I'll steer the conversation that way whenever it seems to flow most naturally and I'll spend like an hour explaining how it works. All my friends know what their most likely type is and at least enough about the theory to follow me when I'm talking about it. My last victim was a Canadian friend I went on a roadtrip with a few weeks ago. We had about 5 hours of driving and managed to figure out he was EII. I already suspected he was, but my policy is to give people the theory and have them tell me what they resonate with most before I consider their type to be fully figured out.

My current project is figuring out how to explain it in Japanese. I've gotten better at it, but only after failing pretty miserably several times. Luckily there's a Japanese Socionics blog I can redirect people to: https://www.izayoiblog.com
    Last time I went out drinking with a couple of my Japanese friends they looked through type descriptions and settled on EII and ESI respectively. Those both seemed correct to me, but I was also pretty drunk, so who knows lol
    I notice the blog gets the P/J signs confused for introverts (e.g. SEI are called ISFJ). Is the author coming from MBTI?

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    I notice the blog gets the P/J signs confused for introverts (e.g. SEI are called ISFJ). Is the author coming from MBTI?
    The author is a Socionist, but she's writing for a Japanese audience familiar with MBTI. She's got a few articles on the site explaining the differences between the systems
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends. I always share that I am a personality nerd but most people really don’t seem interested. My friends listen to my rambles and my one friend take my knowledge when I’m typing her dates but that’s about it. Like I’ve mentioned, I think I’m just going to put some socionics buttons on my bag and hope to god I can find a personality nerd out in the wild!

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Before you can share thoughts, you both have to have learned the same language.

When I talk to people about Socionics, I’m mostly met by tolerant incomprehension. It’s only after many of my predictions come true that they tend to be a little bit curious. Which is an improvement over “Thanks, but we’re not buying whatever it is that you’re selling.”

TIM
    LII 5w6-1w9-2w1
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    This author seemed to came from MBTI and self-studied Socionics via Wikisocion and Socioniko.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not mention it, especially talking to strangers. I would sooner talk about Saturn in retrograde than intertype relations with a stranger.

Astrology would be less embarrassing lol.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hmm you do always risk getting bullied/abused/gaslighted etc. when you talk about something to people that don't want to hear it- I mean depending on how tolerant they want to be. This is kind of a universal problem- sometimes my close friends will start yapping up about something that doesn't interest me and I don't want to follow along. Of course I have done the same thing to others with homosexuality. I'm usually nice or try to be diplomatic or just give the silent treatment if I don't want to hear something. Occassionally though I will get aggressive and even mean- but it's not done out of sadism more like I am just trying to protect my own boundaries and I don't want to be an 'emotional tampon' with it. You can also be somebody else's 'intellectual tampon' with socionics theory etc.

This is why I believe people should just hang out with their own kind. Birds of a feather, baby. Here I mostly feel comfortable being GAY and my fabulous drag queen monster self- along with talking about socionics, cuz it seems more or less I'm around like-minded individuals. There are a few conservatives here and I'm more liberal- but I've never really been fully left-wing either I don't think cuz it seems like they are just as nastily authoriative as people on the far right- even more so.

I mean why do that- why talk to somebody if they want nothing to do with ya and/or the topic at hand, or you're not compatible. It's why I hated high school- being forced to be around all those people I'd never invite in my living room anyway.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I have that feeling, but it is overridden by the desire to induct them into the cult. A lot of people feel very focused on themselves when they are feeling vulnerable (even just slightly) and that's usually when they are most receptive.

Otherwise it comes across as projection and people naturally immediately reject it

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I talk about it with anyone. It’s all about finding the right approach or key to each individual human being and having a more informative approach
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eudaimonia View Post
    I do not mention it, especially talking to strangers. I would sooner talk about Saturn in retrograde than intertype relations with a stranger.

Astrology would be less embarrassing lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by BandD View Post
    Hmm you do always risk getting bullied/abused/gaslighted etc. when you talk about something to people that don't want to hear it- I mean depending on how tolerant they want to be. This is kind of a universal problem- sometimes my close friends will start yapping up about something that doesn't interest me and I don't want to follow along. Of course I have done the same thing to others with homosexuality. I'm usually nice or try to be diplomatic or just give the silent treatment if I don't want to hear something. Occassionally though I will get aggressive and even mean- but it's not done out of sadism more like I am just trying to protect my own boundaries and I don't want to be an 'emotional tampon' with it. You can also be somebody else's 'intellectual tampon' with socionics theory etc.

This is why I believe people should just hang out with their own kind. Birds of a feather, baby. Here I mostly feel comfortable being GAY and my fabulous drag queen monster self- along with talking about socionics, cuz it seems more or less I'm around like-minded individuals. There are a few conservatives here and I'm more liberal- but I've never really been fully left-wing either I don't think cuz it seems like they are just as nastily authoriative as people on the far right- even more so.

I mean why do that- why talk to somebody if they want nothing to do with ya and/or the topic at hand, or you're not compatible. It's why I hated high school- being forced to be around all those people I'd never invite in my living room anyway.

Lol the Fe in the two BETA (“stick to your friends/ group”)
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Riley and Bunny together forever HicksHawking 14Raptor19's Avatar
    Macroverse MtBattle ScholarsGarden Halloween1993 SuperNexus InfinitiesUltimate AllSpectraEverywhere
    TIM
    RayquazaRaichuArceus
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate exposing personality systems to people who don't want rigid categories and respect tainted by the ill heart of losing fashion and fame with those we wish comfort and joy by being lowered and stunted by the names and items we so unbendingly associate amidst a vague gleaming or mirror of nature.

Ideally, we want all masks, all personas, all veils of the life vortex to collect and wind down the stallion's fossils.
    Chinese Fortune Cookie ~ A fair face may fade, but a beautiful soul lasts forever. Lucky Numbers - 53, 10, 29, 14, 1, 21
    Marius Florin aka LeoSuperCluster as Raging Bolt the Raikou number 1021 and SolitaryWalker brought glory to the years of Silver and forged Pichu, wisdom of force and flair to exhibit dinosaur questing pointers electrocuting cinema and blueprints of emporiums to undertow flows jungle tossing galaxy spanning shivers of essence gems and portals of roads to destruction and arboretums folding castles and swordsmanship of dreams and counters to pleasant vibrations and holy water sprouting evanescent stars and puzzles of grades to saffron climax
    https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...k-2024-edition

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ehhh it depends on the person/situation. It’s really a case by case basis decision. Some people, maybe I just met them and they seem interested in personality theories, maybe we started chit chatting at the library. In that case, I would probably mention it to them. If I was with a group of friends I’d known for a while, I might bring up the basics if it’s relevant to the convo, but if I sense they aren’t interested, I’d change the subject. If someone is interested, I’d keep going, sure. But yeah, I’m willing to talk to anyone about socionics if they want, even if their perception is drastically different. I always believe there is the possibility I could be wrong about something, or it’s an opportunity to just get an interesting perspective in the matter or see what is up with the person, can gather a lot, just listening to a persons justifications etc., idc really about pushing my perception or world view on people, but I like hearing other people’s, and it’s nice to find people that share yours, just so you don’t feel so alone lol
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

I'm not hungry mommy bear BrainlessSquid's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE-Fi
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never felt it, I usually am the one who introduces whatever topics I'm reading about
    Sometimes you don't have motivation because you lack purpose.
    Sometimes you don't have purpose, because you lack self-knowledge
    Sometimes you don't have self-knowledge because you lack love
    Sometimes you don't have love because you lack self-love
    Sometimes you don't have self-love because you lack guess what? Ask Gulenko!!

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Door bell rings.

Good day we are the disciples of the Auhrafarianism. We VI'd your husband and it looks like you are in an asymmetric relationship. If you have time in the future we would like to introduce you to your dual from our sect. He is waiting for you in our car. If you take a closer look you'll see that he is trying to wave towards you but his arms are not free ATM. Take this brochure (Dual nature of man) and we will reintroduce ourselves again within a week from now.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Banned
    TIM
    IEE-Ne cp684 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PseudoRandomBSGenerator View Post
    Door bell rings.

Good day we are the disciples of the Auhrafarianism. We VI'd your husband and it looks like you are in an asymmetric relationship. If you have time in the future we would like to introduce you to your dual from our sect. He is waiting for you in our car. If you take a closer look you'll see that he is trying to wave towards you but his arms are not free ATM. Take this brochure (Dual nature of man) and we will reintroduce ourselves again within a week from now.
    lmao