Thread: Do you panic easily? Under what circumstances?

Hybrid View

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Do you panic easily? Under what circumstances?

I got this idea from @BandD mentioning that people have said he doesn't panic enough. I related to that and wonder if there's any relationship between type and how easily we panic about different things.

I personally find that I don't panic or even feel particularly agitated by physical threats to my body other than with a couple specific things. Namely heights and unknown dogs running at me* (inb4 anyone says it, yeah that's partly why I'm a cat person lol). I don't really "panic" about those things though, they're just the only ones off the top of my head that actually awaken some level of genuine fear in me. I think I'm pretty composed regardless.
    The only times I've ever actually "panicked" have been for entirely social reasons (stage-fright mostly, but also a few times people have gotten mad and yelled at me, also any time I'm calling my family and I think my grandma is about to ask me if I've gotten the vaccine).

So, how easily do you panic? What makes you panic? Do you think this has anything to do with Socionics, or is it better explained by Enneagram or maybe just life experiences? What do y'all think?

*I feel like I should clarify that dogs are nice and lovely creatures too. Bigger ones can just really freak me out when they run at me if I haven't gotten to know them yet
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by one View Post
    spiders
    I'm not bothered by spiders, but if I lived in your part of the world I probably would be lol
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

yeah @AWellArmedCat IEIs are usually well-known for our composure.

I think some Delta dude... Idk maybe he was IEE got really upset with me once cuz I wasn't anxious enough when somebody lost their finger in a window. I didn't show enough 'scared concern' or whatever. and he thought it was creepy and immoral. It's not like I was smiling campily cuz somebody got hurt- but I wasn't responding in the way that he wanted me to.

tbh part of the reason why is the guy who got his finger chopped off was kind of an arrogant jerk who sort of deserved it and I guess... although it sounds "evil" maybe part of me did like it or at least saw the karma of it all. After it happened he mellowed a lot and it made him a more humble person so getting his finger chopped off by the window was one of the best things to happen to him I think. ((btw they sewed it back on and he was fine afterwards anyway))

I don't say this cuz of any quadra issues as I'm pretty sure he was a SLE so he was in my quadra to begin with so I don't say that as some anti-delta thing. if I babied him and was like 'OOOH OH NO WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO. YOU LOST YOUR FINGER OH MY FUCKING GOD YOU'RE GONNA DIE. LET'S HELP HIM AND SHOW COMPASSION!' ... jesus no blah.

actually another SLE was this way with me once. I kinda let out my heart to her and she basically said 'shut the fuck up I'm not going to baby you. You need to man up and get a real job' (and she was right really lol...) It hurt my feelings at the time and I thought she was being a huge bitch but... it helped me the most.

and yeah that panic thing is how a lot of deltas want betas to respond to covid ((or any other life issue)) but we refuse to and it annoys them. etc.

although I can be anxious/timid at times- I don't really panic. I think people have often tried to do some creepy fucked up things to me at times just to see how I reacted as I usually ... don't. lol.

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BandD View Post
    'OOOH OH NO WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO. YOU LOST YOUR FINGER OH MY FUCKING GOD YOU'RE GONNA DIE. LET'S HELP HIM AND SHOW COMPASSION!'
    Oh my gosh, I know right. It stresses me out so much when people panic over something happening to me like this. I'd rather deal with my injury on my own and not even tell anyone I got hurt. I don't like a lot of attention when I'm injured. It's nice to know that someone is nearby, but I definitely don't want them to baby me or freak out over my injury.

It really bothers me seeing parents respond this way to their kids too. Like you're just going to teach your kids to be neurotic if you freak out over things that don't matter. Just be calm and competently provide care if they need it. Freaking out just makes things worse, and it's an instant turn-off for me if a crush reacts like this to something
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BandD View Post
    I think people have often tried to do some creepy fucked up things to me at times just to see how I reacted as I usually ... don't. lol.
    I have an LSI friend who I've known since we were kids, and he does this to like... test(?) people. He was always the "scary" kid and people spread nasty rumours about him a lot in school. He had basically no friends when I met him, but I didn't mind his psycho-murderer jokes and when he realized I wasn't scared of him we became really close friends. I've known him for about 15 years now. He's mellowed out a lot and has more friends now. Not sure if this is a "typical" IEI-LSI interaction or not, but it works out pretty well for us. I think our relationship was helped by me being Fe-subtype and thus feeling a bit like his dual
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I've had 2 panic attacks before in my life but they weren't common occurences. I also am not sure what even triggered them, it was weird and they seem to happen out of nowhere.

yeah during the panic attack you realize how illogical and 'stupid' it is yet you feel sheer terror anyway like everything is going to end/apocalpyse etc.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I have an LSI friend who I've known since we were kids, and he does this to like... test(?) people. He was always the "scary" kid and people spread nasty rumours about him a lot in school. He had basically no friends when I met him, but I didn't mind his psycho-murderer jokes and when he realized I wasn't scared of him we became really close friends.
    Yeah it's weird. Beta STs will often say really fucked up things and I just kind of easily tank it. In a way I feel backwards to a lot of other people, especially "Normies" or whatever. I'm strong where they are weak and weak where they are strong. I knew a SLE who said the most outlandish fucked up things that would easily terrify most people ((especially Deltas lol)) and I just was like stone cold steve austin with it or something it was funny. We both didn't have a lot of friends though.

I knew a female LSI I got along with. She wasn't really overtly offensive or edgy because she was female but she didn't like how PC people were about a lot of things. She was kinda wickedly smart and rather sensitive to the fact of when people were trying to manipulate others with sensitivity vs when they genuinely could use some compassion.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was going to say that IEIs are normally really chill people. EIEs are not known for their composure lmao. I appear more panicked than I actually am though because I tend to be a little bit dramatic lol.

STs don't want to have to constantly watch their words around people, they just want to say their thoughts freely without someone getting assblasted over them. From what I've noticed Beta NFs share this shocking and outlandish sense of humor and welcome STs rough and crude jokes and don't demand any Fi from them.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not easily, no.

Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends on the situation and who is involved. I do panic much easier then most people. I allow it to happen more with „chill“ people cause that’s my natural response. However, in more serious situations I shut down my emotions really quickly and mobilize quick. Especially is someone is more emotional then me. My brain feels like a computer and this is the only time I ever feel/Unterstand ILE Ne

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me it is about scope, severity and risk.

Small problems, yes.
    Big problems, I get hyper focused.
    ἀταραξία

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m weird in that I panic about stupid non consequential everyday things, but in an actual crisis I’m actually calm as shit lol. It’s like I was made for a crisis people have commented to me about it
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I can appear to panic either when big things suddenly happen that upset my long-term goals without having been able to plan or anticipate these things or when I sense something about to go wrong. In both cases I just become more proactive and try to get the situation under control. I don't really feel anything besides a spike of adrenaline and some worry butterflies. I can appear to panic from the outside, but that's usually just to either not seem like a sociopath that doesn't care or to use my fake emotion as a signal that other people need to get moving too in order to recruit some help. It doesn't ever really work..

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I panic when one on one with someone new, I don't really drive the conversation myself.

TIM
    ENTJ-Ni 8w9 835 SpSx
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't panic at all, I enjoy events, I LOVE one on one or meeting someone new, I'm good with small or big problems even scary creatures, there's a sheer excitement of killing those spiders with my own hands lol. Anyway I've been told I'm really good under stress.

I think I really don't have Fe. Even when our good friends/family left/moved overseas, for example, everybody was so sad and crying but I'm more like saying an "inspirational goodbye in positive words" something like that, and then everyone asked me "wow you didn't cry at all?" I was just like "yeah you know me, I'm not an emotional person".

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't panic easily. When I was little, I watched lots of terror movies and sort of became immunized to fear. I don't like them anymore since they just bore me.

I've been mugged, accosted, chased by police, met very dangerous people, grabbed a big spider, confronted a rabid animal, put out a kitchen fire ..and I've never panicked.

I think I would have made a decent firefighter.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

examples…I have panicked over finding out my kids had lice, our house was infested with fleas, and once I found maggots in my car. I immediately start wigging out and think of a game plan to eradicate them ASAP. I mean OCD shit, like practically combing through the carpet and spraying the crap out of it. Let’s just say, none of these infestations lasted very long. If we got bed bugs or cockroaches, I’d probably have a major whig out

but everyone should know my mom has some serious OCD issues about cleanliness/germs since I was a kid. I’m terrible at keeping up, so when I discover this stuff I just panic. It’s not nearly as bad now that I’m medicated (I have OCD and GAD, too)

but I’ve been accused of being too calm when something really terrible happens.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    Alexandr Dumbass
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I panic, and very easily. How extreme to the point where I can't even think about my behavior? It depends. Regardless though, I definitely do need some consoling when I get into a nervous fit. What tends to trigger me is anything health related as although less so now, I had an extreme affliction of hypochondria. So many tax payer money wasted on hospital bills...

Overall though, anything I can see as threatening my vitality can make me hysterical. Somewhat my posessions too.

TIM
    ILI - H/C 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was younger, I usually panic with social activies or activities I haven't done before. But with my Te being develop more and more, now I can stay calm with most of the situation. But still sometime worry about the future...