So, what is a twin flame?

Contrary to popular belief, a twin flame is not your soul mate. Your twin flame doesn't even have to be someone you fall in love with (although it often is). "This kind of high-level, soul-based connection isn’t about romance. It’s about spiritual growth," says Vallejos. "You meet them and your life just completely changes. You start seeing the world differently. It pushes you to want to engage with the divine, shift consciousness, and become a better, soulful being in this experience." A twin flame can be a romantic partner, a friend, a mentor, or even a student.

The relationship goes both ways. It's not a one-way spiritual street. When you meet your twin flame, they will forever change your life and you will do the same thing for them. According to intuitive energy healer Tasha Nassar, a twin flame relationship helps us unite the divine masculine and feminine within us all. (We all contain masculine and feminine energies regardless of our gender.)

While such relationships are with another person, they are also meant to help us evolve our relationship with ourselves. Nassar tells Allure that when these energies come into union with one another, you become a higher version of yourself and realize a version of love different from other types of relationships.

Definition of soulmate

So let’s go back to our original question: What is a soulmate? A soulmate is indeed someone that we share a special connection with. In order to understand the concept of soulmates, it helps to understand the concept of soul groups.
First off, let me just say that if you don’t believe in reincarnation, you’re probably going to have a hard time buying into the idea of soul groups. So you may just want to stop reading this article right now. However, if you believe in past lives, then this may be a concept that you can get with.
One of the premises behind the idea of past lives is that we go through a series of lessons and evolve. In each lifetime, there are insights that we choose to learn.
A soul group is a group of souls who we’re connected to on a spiritual level.

The souls in our soul group help us to evolve by interacting with us during various lifetimes. In other words, they help us to learn our lessons! Soulmates are the souls that are in our soul group. (If you want to learn more about the concept of soul groups, I highly recommend Michael Newton’s Book Journey of Souls. Newton is a regression therapist who helps people remember their past lives and the periods of time that took place between lives. In the book, he shares his clients’ stories about discovering that people in their lives are part of their soul groups.)
Since we’re all so connected, we typically play a role in the lives of our soulmates and vice-versa in life after life. So when we run into a soulmate, we may instinctively feel like we know them (because on a soul level we do). Intuitively we recognized their energy because we knew them in previous lifetimes. One of the most common ways we recognize soulmates is through their eyes because the eyes are believed to remain the same in lifetime after lifetime.

I'm wondering if any of you believe you've been involved with a twin flame or a soulmate in your life. Perhaps an important love that you recall? Twin flames are probably duals, and I suspect not everyone has them. Soulmates can be any type and I suspect it is people you know from previous incarnations.