Thread: HSP and Si

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default HSP and Si

Has anyone ever heard of Highly Sensitive People? If not, here is a brief explanation:

Is this you?

• Are you easily overwhelmed by such things as bright lights, strong smells, coarse fabrics, or sirens nearby?
    • Do you get rattled when you have a lot to do in a short amount of time?
    • Do you make a point of avoiding violent movies and TV shows?
    • Do you need to withdraw during busy days, into bed or a darkened room or some other place where you can have privacy and relief from the situation?
    • Do you make it a high priority to arrange your life to avoid upsetting or overwhelming situations?
    • Do you notice or enjoy delicate or fine scents, tastes, sounds, or works of art?
    • Do you have a rich and complex inner life?
    • When you were a child, did your parents or teachers see you as sensitive or shy?
    Source: https://hsperson.com/

I am wondering if this is type-related. It sounds like it is related to either to Si or Se, possibly both.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been considered this. I often rank pretty high when I take those kind of tests.

I have a personal love/hate of being a highly sensitive person and the idea of it. HSP tend to be either strong in FI or Si or both. It’s just very strong stimuli that impacts you in such a personal way. Honestly, it seems like a lot of highly sensitive people have both a naturally sensitive nervous system and have experienced trauma in some way growing up IMO.

If I’m not careful, I can be really effected by stuff so I have to be more aware of my environment so I’m less sensitive to shit or try and keep my mood even. That’s the only way I seem to counter act that sensitivity.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your personal sensitivity level is 10.2% lower than that of the average person.
    Your personal sensitivity score is moderate, indicating that while you fall somewhat short of the threshold for being a highly sensitive person, you nevertheless exhibit a fair amount of the signs associated with one. You may occasionally become overwhelmed by things like loud noises or bright lights, but, on the other hand, you are typically able to get through such instances with only mild discomfort or brief respites being necessary for you to regain your footing. You tend to prefer a more balanced lifestyle, as big changes and too brash of a pace can make you feel overwhelmed or unsettled. You may have noticed that some of these sensitivities began in childhood and you may at some point have been labelled as shy, anxious, or fearful by others who did not understand your sensitivity.

https://www.idrlabs.com/highly-sensi...erson/test.php
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This sounds like an Se related problem imo, not Si.

Could be Se suggestive or Se ignoring (or Se polr). If it is type related at all.
    Last edited by Tallmo; 08-28-2021 at 08:13 PM.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    Alexandr Dumbass
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Highly Sensitive Person? Y'know back then we'd just call these people pansies. We don't need a new word. We even have alternate names like sissy and pussi boi.

That aside, it's probably Inert Sensing. Inert functions are highly sensitive, 1 and 7 in what they allow to be inputted, what "habits" they establish. 4 and 6 more so just myopic and addictive. All inert functions can be quite reactive though. Seems like something Model T should cover, if it hasn't already in some articles.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

dunno I think it can be alot more complicated than people make it out to be. Some people are very sensitive seeing certain forms of violence but it's impossible to offend them with words. The stuff that 'triggers' people tends to be highly specific.

being easily overwhelmed by bright lights could be a form of autism ... and I don't know, it's not like a tough logical-type str8 man would sit there and enjoy it if you shone a big-ass flood light right into his eyes either or anything. Humans are evil and we're all weak against the light.

anyways I always figured this was a scam designed to profit off people's insecurities. ((Highly Asshole People)) Like most psychology lol... but yes some people are clearly more sensitive over-all than others.

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eudaimonia View Post
    I am wondering if this is type-related. It sounds like it is related to either to Si or Se, possibly both.
    interesting find. it definitely sounds type related.
    most of it sounds Si lead but theres some thing that sound different:

• Are you easily overwhelmed by such things as bright lights, strong smells, coarse fabrics, or sirens nearby?

this sounds like 1d se to me

• Do you get rattled when you have a lot to do in a short amount of time?

could be weak se but also te perhaps

• Do you make a point of avoiding violent movies and TV shows?

this sounds like F type

• Do you need to withdraw during busy days, into bed or a darkened room or some other place where you can have privacy and relief from the situation?

this sounds like introversion in general

• Do you make it a high priority to arrange your life to avoid upsetting or overwhelming situations?

weak Se, but can also be Se ignoring

• Do you notice or enjoy delicate or fine scents, tastes, sounds, or works of art?

sounds like good sensing and feeling, but ive also known NFs who were into art and shit like that

• Do you have a rich and complex inner life?

sounds like introversion

• When you were a child, did your parents or teachers see you as sensitive or shy?

also seems like introversion or just weak social skills/low self esteem (which is mildy introversion related)

all in all it sounds like a mix of traits, mostly introversion related. some weak Se, or unvalued Se. also i cant change the fuckin font for some reason

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yeah a lot of those things are 1D Se things. 1D Se people are oversensitive pussies. This should be news to nobody. <3

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

how sensitivity is a strength:

Helps you gauge how pissed/sadistic a person is and how you should approach/avoid a person. ((or you could be cruel and know exactly what a person is sensitive about in their emotional life and know exactly where to push. Fi type assholes. Ouch.))

SLEs/LIE/LSEs etc. and such often have the opposite problem. They'll just AoE tank the entire room with insensitivty and then get in trouble for it later.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The described characteristics are independent of type. SXIs tend to be hyper-vigilant and so can XSEs to a lesser extent but this doesn't necessarily mean that they're delicate or fearful. Type can be buried under loads of baggage accumulated due to upbringing, influences, experiences and or traumas.

a.k.a. I/O

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eudaimonia View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of Highly Sensitive People? If not, here is a brief explanation:

Source: https://hsperson.com/

Highly sensitive is probably not highly sensitive or something.
    Jung says that hypersensitivity of the sense organs is Ni (aka usually it is off the balance).

So this distinction makes me wonder...
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take every remotely negative interaction personally and in the worst way imaginable

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PseudoRandomBSGenerator View Post
    Highly sensitive is probably not highly sensitive or something.
    Jung says that hypersensitivity of the sense organs is Ni (aka usually it is off the balance).

So this distinction makes me wonder...
    If I remember correctly he attributes it to inferior Se. That's Ni type but not Ni.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'm inclined to agree that it is independant of type. Though as research develops (both on jungian typology and how it relates to brain functioning, and how hsp relates to brain functioning) our assumptions of whether such a thing is/not type related will decrease.