Thread: Surface Similarities Between ILI and EII

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Surface Similarities Between ILI and EII

Does anyone else find that ILIs and EIIs can almost play the role of the other type if you're not paying close attention? I have found this particularly to be the case with men of these types. It's not to the point where I wouldn't be able to properly type them once I got to know them a bit, but I've found them to often give off the vibe of the other type right at first. Some EII men seem to have realized that Te can make them appear more manly and lean into this element more than may be natural for them, while some ILI men's Ni combined with Fi can make them appear a bit softer, like an EII. I suspect this is mostly ILI-Ni types and EII-Ne types. What do y'all think?
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

TIM
    EII-1Ne 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny that you're IEI because I have been thinking this of ESIs and IEIs.

ILIs definitely can look EII when they're in Fi HA mode. I don't really think I present so similarly to my ILI mother, but others say I have her facial expressions, problem-solving methods, etc.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Kinda yeah, ILI's logical type ness is a lot more obvious but I think both can get involved in Fi valuing-ish spiritual self-help crap a lot.

May look like an LSI, but -Te. Metaphor's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-LIE-NH
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AWellArmedCat View Post
    Does anyone else find that ILIs and EIIs can almost play the role of the other type if you're not paying close attention?
    I can't see why not since both are Beneficiary types, given the way how they have stuff of each other,
    EII is dictated by ILI's Te, thus their Fi forced ILI. Example? Abraham Lincoln.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Certainly not all of them but sometimes EII's can be totally stonefaced etc.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    IEI-Fe(C)
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Benefactors tend to resemble each other in general. My ILI dad can definitely fit your description. He's softer, he's romantic, his Fe PoLR is not terribly bad so that as long as he's not actively creative Te-ing, it could come off as Fe ignoring at a quick glance. He's also into Ni-Fi ish things like meditation.
    For males, I think this might be more true of older ILI's who have had more time to access Fi and be aware of Fe. Younger male ILI-Ni's (i'm talking 10's and 20's) tend to be obviously NT to me.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IDK I think its pretty easy for me to tell which one is which.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still not sure if Vincent Valentine from FF7 is EII-Fi or ILI-Ni.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'm still not sure if Vincent Valentine from FF7 is EII-Fi or ILI-Ni.
    Haha I've played that game many times and I don't think I've ever recruited him in my party even once. Maybe a loooong time ago when the game first came out but I don't remember. I finally had Cloud go on a date with Barret at the Gold Saucer about a year ago hehe.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Different types can adopt similar expected behaviours because of familial, environmental, cultural and or societal pressures. However the data processing perspectives, structures and operations of ILI and EII are totally different. A tractor and a tug boat can share the same colour but that where the similarities usually end.

a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

There are NONE at all.

ILI are rather "professional" ready to work looking
    EII are rather moody, seem like they don't really want to interact, or find specific people to show warmth to looking.

EII can look very emotional on the outside but in very subtle ways
    ILI look like they are put together and ready to work.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EII-Ne Sx/So 479
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone else find that ILIs and EIIs can almost play the role of the other type if you're not paying close attention? I have found this particularly to be the case with men of these types. It's not to the point where I wouldn't be able to properly type them once I got to know them a bit, but I've found them to often give off the vibe of the other type right at first. Some EII men seem to have realized that Te can make them appear more manly and lean into this element more than may be natural for them, while some ILI men's Ni combined with Fi can make them appear a bit softer, like an EII. I suspect this is mostly ILI-Ni types and EII-Ne types. What do y'all think?
    I relate to this, used to type as INTJ on mbti quizzes, but I realized I just act more logically because my enviroment expects that from me. I also relate very well to the Ni element, as I have dificulty with being present and im always lost in thoughts. So ILI-Ni was always a possibility for me. Ive noticed the difference between EII-Ne and ILI-Ni with Twitch speedrunning out of all things: both have an interest to be as fast as possible (and achieve high specialized skill with nerdy stuff in general), but where the ILI-Ni focusses more on getting the best time, the EII-Ne also focusses on putting on a show for the viewers (thus getting a slower time).

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The difference is so obvious this is like asking how an SLE and an ESE are similar.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

TIM
    ILI-Ni E6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure, a lot of EIIs could be mistaken for ILIs at first glance (Dostoevsky for example), but I don't see the opposite as much, ILIs being mistaken for EII. Usually ILIs are mistaken for LSIs (Orwell, Campbell etc). Maybe it has something to do with beneficiary order? EII -> ILI -> LSI -> SEI although I don't see a lot of LSIs mistaken for SEIs. Actually, there's probably not much of a pattern there and I'm looking into this too much..

TIM
    ILE-De
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EII's are painfully annoying and unresponsive, ILI's just don't make any sense.

About as dissimilar as I can see two types getting in my eyes.

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by memori View Post
    Sure, a lot of EIIs could be mistaken for ILIs at first glance (Dostoevsky for example), but I don't see the opposite as much, ILIs being mistaken for EII. Usually ILIs are mistaken for LSIs (Orwell, Campbell etc). Maybe it has something to do with beneficiary order? EII -> ILI -> LSI -> SEI although I don't see a lot of LSIs mistaken for SEIs. Actually, there's probably not much of a pattern there and I'm looking into this too much..
    Yeah, I'd definitely agree that it's much easier to mistake an EII for an ILI than the other way around. That makes a lot of sense to me
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol wow the replies to this thread are all of the place. Some people seem to know exactly what I'm talking about, and others don't seem to get my meaning at all. Thanks for all the responses either way though!
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An example of someone who I see getting typed both as EII and ILI would be Miyazaki Hayao. Thinking about his type was one of the things that prompted me starting this thread
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Does anyone else find that ILIs and EIIs can almost play the role of the other type if you're not paying close attention?
    no i dont

Some EII men seem to have realized that Te can make them appear more manly and lean into this element more than may be natural for them
    its pretty much impossible to do anything conscious with your suggestive function. perhaps youre describing their role function.

while some ILI men's Ni combined with Fi can make them appear a bit softer, like an EII.
    its true type 1 has a connection to 4 and vice versa, maybe thats what ur getting at.

also both lack any real Se, so i guess they have that in common. but the difference at the Te level is too big to overlook. + they are from different quadras. i think if you have more examples of both types in ur mind you wouldnt be saying this.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I knew what you meant @AWellArmedCat but I'm your Identical so we speak the same language really lol. Yeah when ILIs get heavily involved in some type of religion/spiritual self help thing they are often EII-ish with it. EIIs can be stern and harsh and sadistically critical of others if they feel empowered by certain Te institutions. And yeah it's mostly true in males like you said. IEI-ESI can also seem similiar in many ways.

Anyways you clearly realized these similiarites were superficial as you said in your post. And some people seemed to have taken it where you said 'serious and real differences' when you obviously did not so that's weird to me. I would say that some people are just idiots- which is a ILI thing itself isn't it? "Gah you stupid idiot- be more logical." lol. Okay yeah they wouldn't say 'Gah' - that would be too Fe for them and that is their PoLR, but their duals are supposed to demonstratively teach them the appropriate usage of 'Gah' in social situations.

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BandD View Post
    IEI-ESI can also seem similiar in many ways.
    Yeah, I've noticed this too, particularly with a lot of the Slavic kids back when I was in high school in the US (I went to school in an area where first generation Slavic immigrants outnumbered every other demographic except for local-born whites). I feel like a lot of Slavic cultures might have a tendency to "betafy" everyone, and thus a lot of the ESI girls had very IEI-ish vibes to them. Again, it was easy to see that they weren't actually IEI, but the vibe was real. I'm less sure if the IEI-ESI thing is gendered as heavily as the ILI-EII one, but anecdotally at least I noticed it most with first generation Slavic girls
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

these similiarites were superficial as you said in your post. And some people seemed to have taken it where you said 'serious and real differences' when you obviously did not
    Yeah, I'm not sure why some people are responding as though I can't tell the difference between these two very different types. When I post I usually try to be specific to the point of being almost a bit pedantic, and yet this still happens somehow lol
    but their duals are supposed to demonstratively teach them the appropriate usage of 'Gah' in social situations.
    Also this was great
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐