Thread: Visual Identification (V.I.)

TIM
    EII-Fi, 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Visual Identification (V.I.)

While largely associated with genetically inherited traits, visual identification of type alludes to movements, gaze, expressions, gestures. The dynamic reactions of the person to the influence of their environment. The way information is processed leading to the development of certain motor skills. Proper assessment distinguishes the genetic manifestations of a person from the dynamic.

GUIDE

The following is a bit of a cheat sheet for distinguishing the eyes/gaze or expression.

I/E

The energy of the introverted gaze is retreating and shielding away. We could say that the introvert is too self-absorbed and full of information that must be protected/contained - little energy is consequently directed outward. The introvert closes off from the external world to avoid being overwhelmed while the extrovert appears open to receive, sending the invitation, and creating a connection/bridge for interaction. The extrovert is attentive to their surroundings, as a result, the gaze is more concentrated and focused. This is naturally why we might observe non-verbally that the extrovert is more welcoming and friendly than the introvert who is preoccupied and removed. It can also be observed as a clue that the introverted gaze is prone to avert their eyes at first glance to avoid immediate engagement while the extrovert is more quickly captured or summoned by the interest of others.

N/S

The intuitive gaze is otherworldly and reaches into the ether, never entirely grasping onto anything; zoning out from their ivory tower (Ni) or bouncing around in la-la land (Ne). In contrast, the sensory gaze is earthly and grasps directly onto what is real and tangible; alert to the pressure and impact of shifting circumstances (Se) or self-assured with their bearings on a consistent impression (Si). As this implies, the intuitive gaze radiates and captures unspecified wholeness while the sensory gaze converges and comes together at a precise point. This is notably one of the easiest signatures to pick up on when typing by the eyes alone.

C.G. Jung (Analytical Psychology: Its Theory and Practice)
    “When you observe a man who is working by his sense function you will see, if you look at him attentively, that the axes of his eyes have a tendency to converge and to come together at one point. When you study the expression or the eyes of intuitive people, you will see that they only glance at things—they do not look, they radiate at things because they take in their fullness, and among the many things they perceive they get one point on the periphery of their field of vision and that is the hunch. Often you can tell from the eyes whether people are intuitive or not. When you have an intuitive attitude, you usually do not as a rule observe the details. You always try to take in the whole of a situation, and then suddenly something crops up out of this wholeness. When you are a sensation type you will observe facts as they are, but then you have no intuition, simply because the two things cannot be done at the same time.”

F/T

The feeling type has smoother features while the thinking type has sharper features. Eyes of the feeling type are welling up, appearing watery and affectual. Eyes of the thinking type are drying out, appearing blank and indifferent. There's variety and rich creative expression with the feeling type, they have more grace and delicacy to their smile. The thinking type tends to have limited and cheap ready-made (“archaic”) expressions, their smile is more coarse and discreet. Generally, the feeling type is going to have a more feminine appearance while the thinking type is going to have a more masculine appearance. Female thinking types will be tomboyish while male feeling types will be effeminate, both of these types demonstrating more androgynous characteristics and the most gender fluidity.

FUNCTIONS COMPARED

Impressions for the gaze and expression of each dichotomy are relative and will vary beyond any description so it’s more important to start typing people and assembling various images for yourself. It’s a lot like addressing the symptoms of an underlying condition, what is seen from outside will reflect what is going on internally if it’s being properly assessed. Differentiating between functions will happen naturally as you begin to combine these different impressions. Below is a rough list of descriptive terms which may help for those starting out and beginning to consider their own.

EXAMPLES & COMPOSITES

MANNERISMS & POSTURE

In addition to considering gaze and expression, there are also patterns to consider observing mannerisms and posture. This is something that can be worked on and changed but there’s always certain observable proclivities. Listed below are just a few that I’d label.

credit: DJ McCoy
    Last edited by toska; 06-17-2022 at 09:39 AM.
    Typing
    Gallery
    | List
    Network
    Tumblr
    Assessment
    Socionics | Instinct

TIM
    EII-1Ne 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, I’m making you my newest forum bestie now.

TIM
    SEI 9w1
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lool I'm literally sitting in the same position as the Pi guy with his legs crossed.
    Chronic "grass is always greener" syndrome

Traversing The Darkness Lady Lunacy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Lovegood View Post
    Lool I'm literally sitting in the same position as the Pi guy with his legs crossed.
    Me too, but honestly I think that's sort of normal for someone chillin in bed with a laptop.
    ⊹˳˚ ☾ ˚˳⊹
    xᴇɴᴏᴘʜɪʟᴇ, ʟɪɴɢᴜᴀᴘʜɪʟᴇ, ᴄᴜʟᴛᴜʀᴇ ʙᴜғғ, ᴘsʏᴄʜᴏʟᴏɢʏ/sᴏᴄɪᴏʟᴏɢʏ ɴᴇʀᴅ, ᴀɴᴅ ᴀsᴘɪʀɪɴɢ ᴘᴏʟʏɢʟᴏᴛ.

Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The SLE example there has 'crazy eyes' tbh.
    ⊹˳˚ ☾ ˚˳⊹
    xᴇɴᴏᴘʜɪʟᴇ, ʟɪɴɢᴜᴀᴘʜɪʟᴇ, ᴄᴜʟᴛᴜʀᴇ ʙᴜғғ, ᴘsʏᴄʜᴏʟᴏɢʏ/sᴏᴄɪᴏʟᴏɢʏ ɴᴇʀᴅ, ᴀɴᴅ ᴀsᴘɪʀɪɴɢ ᴘᴏʟʏɢʟᴏᴛ.

Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Compared mine on the same screen. All I can tell is Se>Ne because my eyes don't look dreamy.

EDIT: Eyes look so different from one pic to the next, even when neutral. I'm not sold on VI and probably never will be.
    Last edited by Lady Lunacy; 11-12-2021 at 11:59 AM.
    ⊹˳˚ ☾ ˚˳⊹

TIM
    EII-Fi, 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's fine, V.I. isn't something that anyone is going to pick up by looking at a few images and some people are better at recognizing facial signatures than others. This is just to get down a few observations that I've distinguished from typing people.
    Typing
    Gallery
    | List
    Network
    Tumblr
    Assessment
    Socionics | Instinct

Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toska View Post
    That's fine, V.I. isn't something that anyone is going to pick up by looking at a few images and some people are better at recognizing facial signatures than others. This is just to get down a few observations that I've distinguished from typing people.
    How seriously do you take it? IDK, I can entertain it for...well, entertainment, but I don't think I could ever take it seriously.
    ⊹˳˚ ☾ ˚˳⊹

TIM
    EII-Fi, 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still in the process of refining my discernment but it's a casual practice that I've utilized while supplementing other methods for identification. I consider the gaze and facial expression to be devices for communicating our psychological disposition so it's difficult for me to consider one without the other.
    Typing
    Gallery
    | List
    Network
    Tumblr
    Assessment
    Socionics | Instinct

Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still in the process of refining my discernment but it's a casual practice that I've utilized while supplementing other methods for identification. I consider the gaze and facial expression to be devices for communicating our psychological disposition so it's difficult for me to consider one without the other.
    Ok, but the eyes will change according to moods as well. One who is thoughtful, reflective, will appear dreamier, while the same person in an alert state will look sharper and more present. The expressions of the eyes resemble the energy state one is in. So, say someone loses a loved one...they're depressed for months...they may look dreamier during all of that time, despite being...IDK, Se-Ti, for example.
    ⊹˳˚ ☾ ˚˳⊹

TIM
    ESI-Se 4w3 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah. A lot of people simply cannot assimilate it properly and dismiss it because of it, but when it comes to a lot of the people i've started VI typing in my server (without knowing what they self-type as) turn out to self-type the type they looked to me. It's too often accurate for it to be entirely dismissed.
    I AM YOUR HOLY TOTEM
    I AM YOUR SICK TABOO
    RADICAL AND RADIANT
    I'M YOUR NIGHTMARE COMING TRUE

I AM YOUR WORST ENEMY
    I AM YOUR DEAREST FRIEND
    MALIGNANTLY MALEVOLENT
    I AM OF DIVINE DESCENT

I AM YOUR UNCONSCIOUSNESS
    I AM UNRESTRAINED EXCESS
    METAMORPHIC RESTLESSNESS
    I'M YOUR UNEXPECTEDNESS

I AM YOUR APOCALYPSE
    I AM YOUR BELIEF UNWROUGHT
    MONOLITHIC JUGGERNAUT

STRAY BULLET
    FROM THE HEAVENS ABOVE
    STRAY BULLET
    READY OR NOT
    I'M THE ILLEGITIMATE SON OF GOD

TIM
    HN-SLI-Te
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Ok, but the eyes will change according to moods as well. One who is thoughtful, reflective, will appear dreamier, while the same person in an alert state will look sharper and more present. The expressions of the eyes resemble the energy state one is in. So, say someone loses a loved one...they're depressed for months...they may look dreamier during all of that time, despite being...IDK, Se-Ti, for example.
    Types express emotions in different ways, for example happy ESE looks much different than happy ILI, experienced VI typers know how to spot these differences, it's something you can't fake. But it's true that unusual mental states reduce typing accuracy.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This attempt at drawing "rules" for the intuitive art that is VI, looks very "nice" and aesthetic, but I don't think it is accurate or a good idea.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Btw, Sean Bean is ESI-Se.

TIM
    EII-Fi, 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roger557 View Post
    Btw, Sean Bean is ESI-Se.
    I'd respectfully disagree with that typing and seeing that you'd type Clint Eastwood ESI-Se rather than SLI-Te, we're likely tracking different patterns for that particular type.
    Typing
    Gallery
    | List
    Network
    Tumblr
    Assessment
    Socionics | Instinct

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd respectfully disagree with that typing and seeing that you'd type Clint Eastwood ESI-Se rather than SLI-Te shows that we're likely tracking different patterns for that particular type.
    What he is. He's been typed SLI since forever (I used to type him SLI too), but he is actually a gamma. ESI-Se. As evidence, It makes sense since sergio leone is ILI, that he would employ his activity partner or dual as his muse (in 'spaghetti western' movies).

Very respectfully, I wanted to critique some aspects of your work on socionics as far as I've been able to see, for the sake of propriety and things being correct: your VI/typing ability is deficient. I disagree with about 70% of the typings in your gallery, to the point that it makes me wonder if you truly are EII (a -Ne type which usually has very good VI) or you are actually LSI-Se. Not everything I have to comment is negative, however, as you seem to be an able marketer and good at structuring your material. But, what is the point if it's not accurate? You truly offer almost nothing of value, while creating very aesthetically pleasant and superficially convincing theories, wasting hours of hard work better devoted to other things IMO.

Another point in your favor is that thankfully, you don't seem interested in obtaining revenue from any of your stuff.

TIM
    EII-Fi, 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roger557 View Post
    What he is. He's been typed SLI since forever (I used to type him SLI too), but he is actually a gamma. ESI-Se. As evidence, It makes sense since sergio leone is ILI, that he would employ his activity partner or dual as his muse (in 'spaghetti western' movies).

Very respectfully, I wanted to critique some aspects of your work on socionics as far as I've been able to see, for the sake of propriety and things being correct: your VI/typing ability is deficient. I disagree with about 70% of the typings in your gallery, to the point that it makes me wonder if you truly are EII (a -Ne type which usually has very good VI) or you are actually LSI-Se. Not everything I have to comment is negative, however, as you seem to be an able marketer and good at structuring your material. But, what is the point if it's not accurate? You truly offer almost nothing of value, while creating very aesthetically pleasant and superficially convincing theories, wasting hours of hard work better devoted to other things IMO.

Another point in your favor is that thankfully, you don't seem interested in obtaining revenue from any of your stuff.
    I have no interest in justifying what I do, especially when it's not constructive. I'm not sure where the LSI-Se typing is coming from though.
    Last edited by toska; 06-17-2022 at 08:06 AM.
    Typing
    Gallery
    | List
    Network
    Tumblr
    Assessment
    Socionics | Instinct

Mentioned
    1266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

@toska
    opposite types are perceived as interesting
    so F types would not accented the desciption of T types by boring impressions as: dried, blank (2/3 of traits said by you)
    at least, they would also point on positive aspects of T types as smart, thinking and reasonable people, as they are attracted to this

as "boring" are perceived traits similar to own type
    this is among examples that your type should be T and not F

nonverbal impressions about dichotomies useful for VI are in Talanov's article
    Types examples: video bloggers, actors