TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The Second Law of Thermodynamics.

All else is made-up BS.

...Well, strictly speaking, the Second Law is also made up, but it's true.

Maybe I'm a Lion
    TIM
    ESI-Fi 6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    The Second Law of Thermodynamics.

All else is made-up BS.

...Well, strictly speaking, the Second Law is also made up, but it's true.
    What. Is this what one calls a paradox? Both made up but true?

Adam, you make physics sound fascinating.

There is the notion that we cannot say what truth is ("The name that can be named is not the eternal name" etc.). Some people seem to like what is known as the neti neti approach.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The truth is no one can tell you what the truth is, but everyone speaks from some sort of truth all the time.
    Yes, even lying is telling the truth in its own way, because there's a reason behind.
    A moron with a big ego once told me: I don't care that people are lying to manipulate me, I want to know why. He puffed his chest saying and repeating this knowing it would earn him praise, lol.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

@Kalinoche buenanoche, I was thinking of Truth in terms of truly objective reality, which I don't think we have access to.

The Second Law of Thermodynamics is true because it is made up. It is a description of an ideal system and does not depend on physical reality, but rather is a mathematical approximation to some limited parts of reality.

TIM
    ILI-C
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time discovers truth. — Seneca

---
    conatus
    : a natural tendency, impulse, or striving : CONATION —used in Spinozism with reference to the inclination of a thing to persist in its own being (Merriam Webster)

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

@Great

"Truth" is something that is very subjectively true in a very deep way, like "the truth of your soul" - truth is different than facts or reality in that sense. There was an episode of DC legends of tomorrow and at the end they said something like 'It wasn't real- but it was still true.'

For example it could be true that somebody identifies strongly as a murderer- even though in reality they don't kill people. The reality tells us they aren't a murderer- but the truth is they are because they identify so strongly with it and have had real murderous rages since childhood. Maybe they just haven't killed anybody else for completely narcissistic and selfish reasons ((don't want to go to prison or have to deal with the cumbersome annoyance of trying to cover it-up etc.))

Okay that example kind of sucked but I hope you get what I mean. I can probably think of a better example later lol.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

No being can know they know the Truth.

However, as beings can willfully desire to lie, they can willfully desire to be true. Acting in a way contrary to what you believe to be true is no way to act (in my opinion), even if the result ends up being true. Be the change you want to be etc.

Last edited by Not A Communist Shill; 07-26-2021 at 06:09 AM.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

We should probably figure out what truth with a lowercase t means before we start pulling out the big guns.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pandemic candy View Post
    truth is immutable, eternal, unending, and non-convertible
    Is truth a set of options?

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

you can have different paradigms, or system of beliefs to look at things. but that's not exactly the same as truth, if that's what u mean by "set of options"
    Does truth transcend a system of belief or depend on it?

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

facts can change, depending on what you're describing in a particular moment of time. ex: my hair is black today.

truth doesn't change. ex: 1+1=2
    Not sure I follow. I guess you'd say you believe in platonic truth?

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I tend to think truth with a capital T cannot be established, similar to Subteigh. Limits of perception and all that. Assumptions have to be made.

Maybe the only thing that seems likely is that if "dreaming" is a term to describe a probability distribution for whether subjective experience translates to existence, there is dreaming if not existence itself (but you could argue that the dream then essentially becomes existence). But there are plenty of assumptions to make that work, but it seems to be one of those things that has closure no matter how you look at it.
    Last edited by ouronis; 08-05-2021 at 04:39 AM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Truth was lost long ago..

I'm not hungry mommy bear BrainlessSquid's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE-Fi
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see the Truth as the reality independent of intellect, I believe it does exist independently of thinking.
    Sometimes you don't have motivation because you lack purpose.
    Sometimes you don't have purpose, because you lack self-knowledge
    Sometimes you don't have self-knowledge because you lack love
    Sometimes you don't have love because you lack self-love
    Sometimes you don't have self-love because you lack guess what? Ask Gulenko!!

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    made up, but it's true.
    This is really the best way to explain my theory of truth. I think it exists, but we are really just guessing at it. Any ideas of truth are really just ideas that are accepted as true by society or the individual.

What I mean by this is that "Truths" are dependent on the beliefs and experience of the person espousing them.

As its said above something only becomes true when it becomes useful and gives us the results we need to get from it.

For example the second law of thermodynamics is truth so long as it properly explains entropy. (or what ever it does I don't remember exactly)

There is nothing true within the law itself if it can no longer serve this purpose, that is to explain the phenomena that we are experiencing or observing.

I think that Truth with a capital T is a tool used by power structures to justify their own authority. You cannot question the Truth.

Truth is true because its Truth.

Normal Science is truth and Scientism is Truth (pic related)

The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There can be no truth until a proper question is asked. "What is the Truth" is an unclear question so the only way to measure the quality of its answers is by how much they resonate with our personal biases and preconceived ideas about the nature of things
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐