Thread: Depression

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Default Depression

Do you suffer from FAMILY history of depression and loneliness? How do you moderate it? Medicine? Etc?
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    SLI 5w6
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. I take a pill for it once a day. I try not to stress about an uncertain future and take each day as it comes. I don't know if my lack of planning is a good or bad thing. I only concern myself with things I can do something about and try to have faith that everything will work out and that all is well.

I also make it a point to get out of the house, to go to the gym, study for a career change I've decided to try out, and meditate. My cats help a lot. I just don't want to leave it untreated since it will cause worse brain damage over time.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. I drink.

I don’t think medication is a good idea, and the impulse to use it isn’t well-founded. It’s not good to pathologize human emotion and thought, for instance saying “has depression” rather than “is depressed.”

Medication is a way of ignoring your problems. By considering your reactions to problems a “disease” you avoid facing them. Furthermore anti-depressants work by shutting down your capacity to feel and think. This is not good and shouldn’t be pushed as a solution to one’s problems.
    Last edited by FreelancePoliceman; 07-18-2021 at 10:17 AM.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    Yes. I drink.

I don’t think medication is a good idea, and the impulse to use it isn’t well-founded. It’s not good to pathologize human emotion and thought, for instance saying “has depression” rather than “is depressed.”

Medication is a way of ignoring your problems. By considering your reactions to problems a “disease” you avoid facing them. Furthermore anti-depressants work by shutting down your capacity to feel and think. This is not good and shouldn’t be pushed as a solution to one’s problems.
    alcohol is a form of self medication
    when using alcohol you ignore the problem lol
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There isn’t any history of depression on my moms side of the family...although they are very hyper adhd like, they are all generally exceptionally positive.

idk my dads side of the family very well but I’ve heard that there is a history of depression mental illness (mainly bipolar disorder, and my uncle has been diagnosed with schizophrenia). One of my grandfathers sisters committed suicide in her 30’s. There is also stories about a family member they had to keep locked in a room a long time ago

my sister and I both have depression problems. She’s a lot more loud and dramatic about it though, and less willing to seek help...has turned into a bit of a chaotic and moody alcoholic so I’ve heard. My mom thinks she has bipolar disorder or something. I didn’t seek help for a long time because of negative stigma surrounding it all. Worst 3+ years of my life. I take an antidpressant now, have for almost a year. I feel like it’s helped quite a bit, I’m more like I was in my younger years now, but I do feel like it has made me more dumbed down...I can’t think as well as I used to and my memory isn’t nearly as good..and it wasn’t great to begin with. But at least I’m not thinking the same negative thoughts over and over. So yeah I think I’ll take it. Lol.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beautiful sky View Post
    alcohol is a form of self medication
    when using alcohol you ignore the problem lol
    When I drink, I don’t spend most of the day drunk, and it doesn’t work by destroying my ability to feel anything. If anything, it causes me to be more aware of my problems, and helps me introspect to an extent. Doing anything to make yourself feel better would be a “form of self-medication” the way you use the term. But I explained why I don’t like actual medication.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I was depressed more in the past when I was forced more to do something I don't wanna do- now my life is more balanced and I'm happier although not as happy as I would like. Anyway to me happiness is just naturally fleeting anyway- sustained happiness can last if you live your life more fully and don't get attached ((Buddha had good ideals even tho it's not perfect)) - but it's also kind of sociopathic to be that way, because the 'real world' is naturally sad and dreary. It doesn't have to be that way- but unhealthy people are too attracted to power and people are too oppressed. Depression is largely a systematic issue to me as well, and society being sociopathic and unkind and only caring about money and 'productivity.' Commercials are sociopathic. Just now I said that the TV is on and some overly positive commercial is playing trying to get me to waste money on something that only makes an LIE CEO stronger. As if I really would start dancing like an idiot if I bought their stupid product.

Too much Fe role, not enough actually valued Fe. No thanks. Bye!

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Medication was used to control me. Hopes that I would change my behavior if I took a pill- but I pretty much had the same behavior, I was just happier. So now I could do the same thing I always ever did just in a better mood? Okay kind of useless and a red herring to me, but whatever. I remember this one pill I was on- it made me dance around like a Disney princess. Like I was happy and ditzy like some naive dumb Disney bitch- but I still did the same thing I ever did, and still pissed off the world because I refused to be controlled.

I wasn't really ever depressed so much- people were just pissed off they couldn't control me and I was a weirdo with magical powers they were jealous of. They wanted me to be depressed but I was the cure for depression. I was more anxious and fearful and sad- from the way I was treated sometimes. Like Chris Crocker said- if the world is driving you nuts, odds are you are pretty smart.

It can still be good if you really need it (not trying to discourage those who need medication) - but I'm not sure I ever did. What helped me the most was getting out of the house and exploring new places rather than taking pills. My LSI therapist got me off the meds because she agreed I didn't need them & the Gammas & Deltas were just trying to control me with their Fi & didn't understand my Fe.

I remember when I took therapy before they wanted me to write down my anxious thoughts in a journal about something I was afraid of cuz I had bad social anxiety - but instead of making it better it just made it a lot worse. It just made me feel like a fucked up loser who had do this shit and so the therapist gossip-y bitches who smelled like raccoon vaginas in the therapy offices could laugh at me for actually doing the assignment seriously. ((which they really do to people all the time, don't be naive...)) It was more beneficial for me to laugh at it myself, and just live my life.

"If you're afraid of something- don't you think that means you should probably do it?" I remember when Ruth got that advice from her friend on Six Feet Under. I just kinda did it- despite being a little afraid, and everything kind of started to fall into place and I felt better and even started to become more successful in the Te way. ((although I don't value Te so I don't really seek that stuff out or enjoy it.))

TIM
    EII-1Ne 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. My mother, her father, and her father’s mother all suffered from clinical depression and we all have taken the same prescription med to keep it under control.

I am looking into different ways to combat it - exercise, sunlight, and good nutrition help and also optimize the effects of medicine.

Maybe I'm a Lion
    TIM
    ESI-Fi 6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. I exercise daily to mitigate it.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My dual/semi-dual <3:

Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My family doesn't seem to have a history of suffering with it. I'm one of the few that is more prone to is as of late. I sadly am more prone to stress and have a sensitive nervous system so stuff bugs me more then the average population. I suffer from anxiety more then anything but depression has reared a very ugly head in the last year. I got very depressed coming back from my time abroad and then returning home, a crappy work environment, and school. I was seriously struggling. I don't like taking medication, I was on it for a period of time when I was a teenager and while it did help, I felt very numb. My depression got so bad that it was seriously affecting my sleep schedule and that was a big wake up call for me. I take my sleep very seriously and I was much more emotional than I usually am. In my psych classes, depression can spontaneously be relieved after about 9 months, but it was past that point for me and I was struggling.

I've done therapy a lot over the years but for right now, its just learning to monitor myself and just accept myself for who I am. I am taking medication for the time being. I don't plan on being on it forever, about six months for myself to feel stable enough to have better coping strategies and feel more emotionally stable. I's a low dose so, it shouldn't be too bad. While crying is great for the skin and is a good mental fog reliever, there is a point of too much. I got a new job so that is helping, things are opening up and I plan on going to the library for classes and getting a schedule for school. I need to get into a gym and move more to help and get my confidence up. I know what I need to do, it's just doing it at this point and pushing. That and cutting off caffeine, that really effects me emotionally.

I am trying to stay away from alcohol and am abstaining for the time being. While I do love my vodka and getting a bit tipsy, I don't want to reach for the bottle every time I am feeling depressed to get a hit. I notice myself doing that more and went cold turkey for the time being. That and I don't like to drink on medication. Just got to learn new triggers and get a new away of dealing with things, fight some demons, and things will be better.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

If by depression you men that mood goes too low to function well even without a clear reason then yes, I have it. Sometimes it is higher. So, I think I'm bit cyclothymic and if I use SNRI's it can pop me back to quite euphoric state. I think this is quite pathological.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I have reverse Seasonal Affective Disorder. I'm a lot happier in the fall & winter months I think. Not too crazy about this time of year and what it does for my mood.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in my family to have gotten a depression diagnostic, but looking on what I know, there's likely more cases that went under the radar.
    I find that if I'm doing well, I eat well and exercize. If I'm not doing well, trying to force those things makes me nauseated and I tend to hurt myself, can't count the torn muscles anymore from when I tried.
    Allowing myself to lie down and just stare at nothing for however long will end up making me spring up and do things from a more positive mindset.
    I generaly get down from putting too much pressure on myself to live up to standards.
    The more I try to force things, the worse it gets.

I don't like alcohol nor coffee, and I'm too scared of losing it to try drugs. I have a sugar problem sometimes, not currently, it disgusts me right now but I know it will come back sooner or later.
    I don't take meds, they mess me up too much. I also think they'd be a temporairy solution and could hinder actual improvement by erasing symptomes, or move them to a worse place. That did happen. I'm very sensitive to medication, so I have to be critical of them to keep myself from harm.

TIM
    IEI-H 946
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loneliness but not depression. My Dad's side of the family has a tendency to be very solitary and socially neglectful. It takes me weeks to realize that I need to socialize, and even when I do enjoy it I rarely go back to doing it very easily. It takes a lot of force to get me out of my mind.

My mom's side of the family is very ADHD, but I never got that. Though maybe I have adapted some of those traits from exposure.