Thread: Ni and Increased tendency for clinical depression

TIM
    IEI-Fe So4w5, 461
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ni and Increased tendency for clinical depression

I want ascertain that of course, any type can become depressed.. However, with Ni being able perceive time and look to the future and also deal with past, I can see how it would broaden potential for depression. If you see the outcome and where it is headed and can do nothing for its stopping, then you will carry that, no one may listen to you, and you cannot change it and anyhow will know. Then paying attention to past and patterns, you can see who/what will change and the things that will not can beat you down.

Again, I do not want it seem like I am saying Ni is only depressive type, of course any can become such, but I just see more potential.
    I am in my head; not society.

Yes, that is who I am, hence the bold am.​ Also, a brain angel. (But Zelda's incarnate too).

My thoughts align with action to succeed what needs…

Dragons:

Babies, click them to make them grow up into Kara’s Dragon Museum

My favorite adult Museum Exhibits

TIM
    IEI-Fe So4w5, 461
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also can see increased risk of anxiety, with knowing what will happen ahead of time and then brooding it over.
    I am in my head; not society.

Yes, that is who I am, hence the bold am.​ Also, a brain angel. (But Zelda's incarnate too).

My thoughts align with action to succeed what needs…

Dragons:

Babies, click them to make them grow up into Kara’s Dragon Museum

My favorite adult Museum Exhibits

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suffer mostly from indecisiveness and the feeling that what I want is out of reach... helpless and locked into fate.

Riley and Bunny together forever HicksHawking 14Raptor19's Avatar
    Macroverse MtBattle ScholarsGarden Halloween1993 SuperNexus InfinitiesUltimate AllSpectraEverywhere
    TIM
    RayquazaRaichuArceus
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No matter how sad, lying in disrepair, lack of wholeness, no infatuation, defeated, and broken You can become, by looking at Your friendships and ties to heaven, and switching minds with those who stratify You to Light, then You cut the chains of restrictions, and elevate Your Heart to the crowning moment of jigsaw puzzle perfection.
    Raptor had to lose in 2006 to become Revan, important errands of knighthood and valor to walk with Pokemon and charm the melodies of sweet channels to lush frenzy galloping solo yet swiftly into the sunrise for maximum presents and signed in deluxe oceans of fast trading cards bazooka cascading rumba of love Force constellations restoring last battle cardinal plants actively swirling for juice and petals to wishes
    https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...k-2024-edition

TIM
    SLI 5w6
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have depression but I think it's a nature/nurture thing regarding genetics and upbringing. My dad probably has depression but he's Ni PoLR.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think Gulenko seemed to think that process types have the highest tendency towards mood disorder LSE and EIE being the most prominent while SEE and ILE might have sort depressive symptoms.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

You can change the outcome of an event with the right amount of Se though. I mean yeah depending on what it is of course. It doesn't mean you can cure your mom from having stage 4 cancer but there is a lot of things you can change. Problem is IEIs have 1D (but valued) Se ourselves. It also takes Te to change things often, which is our polr. Te is often those little details that IEIs are running away from, but are all part of the solution. A mixture of Se & Te is really how the real things get set in motion and the real life 'Stop' status effect is cured. ((and depression as well))

It takes time (Ni) and effort (Se & Te).

It's kind of problematic because a lot of IEIs are probably in small Delta-ish towns where Se isn't valued and we just get stuck in an unhappy rut because of it. The suggestive functions are something you need assistance from others. Also IEIs are sensitive to the outside atmosphere because we value Fe. If other people around us don't value Fe a lot - it can be pretty painful tbh. A brand new environment for an IEI often works wonders at combating depression. Yet I hear Deltas often say things like 'don't be a victim of circumstances! Wherever you go you'll take your issues with you!' It's kind of dumb though because they don't realize for Betas it doesn't work that way or it's not as true for us.

If there was somebody out there with a nuclear bomb and was going to kill a bunch of people, you would use a mixture of Se & Te to stop them really. Society wouldn't just victim-ishly say 'well he's depressed- we're all depressed, there is nothing we can do about it- so let's just let him kill a whole bunch of people.' Even if he does succeed in killing a whole bunch of people, then there would be momentum to see him put to justice or it would motivate other areas.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

When you're really depressed sometimes getting up and dancing to an upbeat song works great and getting out of a funk. I mean it sounds corny and cheesy. 'It can't really be that simple can it' but I turn on some Kylie Minogue and I'm good to go.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Also I made fun of Law of Attraction before (because people used it as an excuse to be heartless sociopathic assholes) but I mean it does have truth to it. If you think something will be shitty, more often then not it will be shitty even if it isn't- because you are that powerful of a mage. Or sage.

haha I'm kind of Chae-ish today aren't I? In memory of the cool @Chae I'm going to post Fe-y pop songs to make people feel better. How about this one:

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BandD View Post
    When you're really depressed sometimes getting up and dancing to an upbeat song works great and getting out of a funk. I mean it sounds corny and cheesy. 'It can't really be that simple can it' but I turn on some Kylie Minogue and I'm good to go.
    I think this is really good advice and I’m glad you’ve said it coz it might make me do it more!

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yet another fate was avoided.

But I need your advice too sometimes as much as you need mine cuz the Yin-Yang duality of the world or something.

TIM
    EII-1Ne 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I identify as Ni demonstrative and I was diagnosed with clinical depression.

My mom, an Ni base, also has it.

TIM
    ILE-De
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reason Ni dom's are more depressed than other types is the fact that if you dropped them in a crowd full of people and told them to go talk to someone, they'd start crying uncontrollably and hope someone comes talk to them so they don't have to actually start a conversation.

or in other words, they're too stuck in their own head to actually try to fix any of the problems they have in their head, so they have to rely on other people(who for some don't exist).

TIM
    EII-1Ne 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A brand new environment for an IEI often works wonders at combating depression. Yet I hear Deltas often say things like 'don't be a victim of circumstances! Wherever you go you'll take your issues with you!' It's kind of dumb though because they don't realize for Betas it doesn't work that way or it's not as true for us.
    I have found new environments to be the single greatest resolution to my depressive episodes as well. I always hear "it's a matter of mindset" but when you have a condition that makes it akin to swimming against a riptide to pull yourself out of a negative mindset alone, changing the external circumstances can force you to view things from a different point of view. Because I also have 1D Te and Se, my tendency is to rely on outside forces to do this and it is frustrating whenever someone suggests I am simply not trying hard enough.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Because I also have 1D Te and Se, my tendency is to rely on outside forces to do this and it is frustrating whenever someone suggests I am simply not trying hard enough.
    Sorry @PinKDiGiT18 I didn't mean to pick on Deltas so much. But it's strange in the sense me and you seem to get along a lot better than I have with other EIIs in the past.

There was this life coach on this show I used to watch in the early-mid 2000s called 'Starting Over' named Rhonda something and she always said that in this abrasive way and I didn't like it because it wasn't true in my experience. I even wrote this funny fan fic story once making fun of her lol.

TIM
    EII-1Ne 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry @PinKDiGiT18 I didn't mean to pick on Deltas so much. But it's strange in the sense me and you seem to get along a lot better than I have with other EIIs in the past.

There was this life coach on this show I used to watch in the early-mid 2000s called 'Starting Over' named Rhonda something and she always said that in this abrasive way and I didn't like it because it wasn't true in my experience. I even wrote this funny fan fic story once making fun of her lol.
    Yeah, I agree. I understand what you meant! If I hadn’t had so many fallouts with SLEs I would consider that I might be Beta NF or something. But after I lost my lifelong SLE best friend in an altercation, the words of which still ring in my head years later, I’m confident we were conflictors. She was an archetypal SLE - did her own thing, didn’t give one about what anyone thought of her ethically, an aggressor in the romantic sense, Fi was a mess. We were friends because our families were, and we made the mistake of getting too close. Never doing that again.

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yet another fate was avoided.

But I need your advice too sometimes as much as you need mine cuz the Yin-Yang duality of the world or something.
    Ok.. haha. I’ll try

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baqer View Post
    The reason Ni dom's are more depressed than other types is the fact that if you dropped them in a crowd full of people and told them to go talk to someone, they'd start crying uncontrollably and hope someone comes talk to them so they don't have to actually start a conversation.

or in other words, they're too stuck in their own head to actually try to fix any of the problems they have in their head, so they have to rely on other people(who for some don't exist).
    I think you're describing introverts with a distant subtype here, in an exagerated fashion. Social introverts, in other words.

Nah, scratch that. What you're describing sounds like social anxiety and deep lack of self confidence rather than anything type related.

TIM
    ILE-De
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ave View Post
    I think you're describing introverts with a distant subtype here, in an exagerated fashion. Social introverts, in other words.

Nah, scratch that. What you're describing sounds like social anxiety and deep lack of self confidence rather than anything type related.
    Ya probably, though I'd argue that Ni dom's are more likely to have social anxiety and lack of self confidence because of Ni. A more accurate description of Ni would be a detachment form other people and general "stuck in your own head"-ness, which leads to an active pulling away from other people and general apathy when it comes to life. An Ni dom who doesn't have a friend or group of friends to pull them out of themselves, it's very possible they'll just sit helplessly without being able to really do anything. Arguably this can also be true of Se polrs, though I think a Ni dom would make these things more "acceptable" for someone.

Idk, I've talked to people on discord and I've found this pattern of people who just simply sit there on the internet and can't pull themselves out of it. And part of that is the general lack of friends to younger people nowadays have, but also the lack of attachment to real life makes these people more stuck than any extroverted type, or even other introverted types on the internet.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya probably, though I'd argue that Ni dom's are more likely to have social anxiety and lack of self confidence because of Ni. A more accurate description of Ni would be a detachment form other people and general "stuck in your own head"-ness, which leads to an active pulling away from other people and general apathy when it comes to life. An Ni dom who doesn't have a friend or group of friends to pull them out of themselves, it's very possible they'll just sit helplessly without being able to really do anything. Arguably this can also be true of Se polrs, though I think a Ni dom would make these things more "acceptable" for someone.

Idk, I've talked to people on discord and I've found this pattern of people who just simply sit there on the internet and can't pull themselves out of it. And part of that is the general lack of friends to younger people nowadays have, but also the lack of attachment to real life makes these people more stuck than any extroverted type, or even other introverted types on the internet.
    Idk, I've had friends up until I dumped everyone because I was miserable. Having friends isn't a miraculous solutions, you can have friends who make you shut down and live even more in your head.
    The major depression I had, I'd put 80% of it on feeling lonely when surrounded by people. I have a big ol' zero friends irl right now, yet I'm actually doing better and not having my efforts sabotaged. I really let the wrong people take too much space, it's like they controled my life, how I had the right to feel, it was a nightmare.
    Then again, there's a drive in me pushing me towards people, and I have a will to live well with others. All I need now is to find out how to live well with myself through that.

At most, I think it may be hard for certain Ni leads to find people who make them feel like being around people is great. I got the message I was not welcome when I was 5, not super great a base to build self-esteem nor social skills. It's contradictory that I had friends still, lol.
    I also think peeps who get stuck in their head can end up looking like Ni even if they aren't.

There was a gorvermental stat going around where I live about 10-15 years ago, it stated that at least 50% of the population would face depression at least once in their life. It's prolly higher by now.

Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flowers and sugar View Post
    Idk, I've had friends up until I dumped everyone because I was miserable. Having friends isn't a miraculous solutions, you can have friends who make you shut down and live even more in your head.
    The major depression I had, I'd put 80% of it on feeling lonely when surrounded by people. I have a big ol' zero friends irl right now, yet I'm actually doing better and not having my efforts sabotaged. I really let the wrong people take too much space, it's like they controled my life, how I had the right to feel, it was a nightmare.
    Then again, there's a drive in me pushing me towards people, and I have a will to live well with others. All I need now is to find out how to live well with myself through that.
    A lot of people don't talk about this enough. Being around the wrong people can really hurt your mental health. Friends are really important for me, but I had friends that made me feel worse, more anxious, and crazy then my currents ones and I feel a helluva lot more chill and happy with my current relationships. Being around the right people for you is key. If not, it is much better being alone so you can be in the best environment for you.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MissDucki View Post
    A lot of people don't talk about this enough. Being around the wrong people can really hurt your mental health. Friends are really important for me, but I had friends that made me feel worse, more anxious, and crazy then my currents ones and I feel a helluva lot more chill and happy with my current relationships. Being around the right people for you is key. If not, it is much better being alone so you can be in the best environment for you.
    I don't know for you, but where I live it's considered very bad not having friends. I've had health professionals put in my head that I needed friends or I'd never get better. Not having friends puts you on the depressed list almost by default, so you're prompted to find anyone to be friends with and that's not cool.

TIM
    ILE-De
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At most, I think it may be hard for certain Ni leads to find people who make them feel like being around people is great. I got the message I was not welcome when I was 5, not super great a base to build self-esteem nor social skills. It's contradictory that I had friends still, lol.
    I also think peeps who get stuck in their head can end up looking like Ni even if they aren't.

There was a gorvermental stat going around where I live about 10-15 years ago, it stated that at least 50% of the population would face depression at least once in their life. It's prolly higher by now.
    Ya, I'd definitely agree that having good friends or even no friends can be better than having bad friends. I think the main things that friends, and in general "community" actually do to help is when it comes to things like motivation. An Ni dom(from what I know at least, this is definitely pretty out there so if anyone who is 100% an Ni dom would like to comment please do) is more likely to sit on their ass and just think about things instead of actually developing any hobbies or really do anything "productive", and they need the "push" of a group of people to get them to do something more than other types. More generally "mentally healthy" people who are able to get themselves to do things by themselves will be able to cut themselves off from negative communities/friends and be fine, but there are also people who have no connections to friends/communities but still need help on figuring out how to do things.

Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know for you, but where I live it's considered very bad not having friends. I've had health professionals put in my head that I needed friends or I'd never get better. Not having friends puts you on the depressed list almost by default, so you're prompted to find anyone to be friends with and that's not cool.
    I live in North America so being more "lone wolf" or individualistic isn't as bad then it may be in compared to other parts of the world where is it is very collectivist and having strong bonds with others is part of the culture. Not to say North America can be like that but, I have never had a strong need to be part of a web of people for it's own sake and it's not totally looked down upon here I would like to think. At least, outside of high school.

I won't go too much into detail of my past but there were periods of time I was more so alone. I struggled with making friends when I was really young and had a lot more social anxiety. I decided to stop being friends with a person and that ended up alienating me from a large friend group. The friendship hurt me more and that support was not worth my mental health deteriorating. In highschool, you were viewed more poorly to sit and eat alone and there was no other place to sit and eat alone without looking like an idiot or 'troubled'. I liked to go quietly eat outside and away from everyone because I felt better and I wasn't judged. There were other people that I tried to befriend that were not a good fit for me but I 'needed' people to not be viewed as an outsider I guess and I felt crappier. I stayed alone for awhile after that until I made more organic friends. I always felt better being on my own and doing my own thing until I could organically make friends that made me feel good because I eventually do then grabbing what is there and a lot of people don't realize it because a lot people view being alone as 'bad'. Being around others is good for mental health and having an encouraging community is good. However, most people don't realize how much a shit relationship can impact you more and make you feel crappier. When I get depressed, I do want to be alone more. But I felt much more depressed and unhappy being around certain people that made me feel alone because they didn't understand or could accept me. There have been studies of how feeling alone with other people can be worse for your health. Everyone is different but, yeah I just wanted to comment on that.

TIM
    ILE-De
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MissDucki View Post
    I live in North America so being more "lone wolf" or individualistic isn't as bad then it may be in compared to other parts of the world where is it is very collectivist and having strong bonds with others is part of the culture. Not to say North America can be like that but, I have never had a strong need to be part of a web of people for it's own sake and it's not totally looked down upon here I would like to think. At least, outside of high school.

I won't go too much into detail of my past but there were periods of time I was more so alone. I struggled with making friends when I was really young and had a lot more social anxiety. I decided to stop being friends with a person and that ended up alienating me from a large friend group. The friendship hurt me more and that support was not worth my mental health deteriorating. In highschool, you were viewed more poorly to sit and eat alone and there was no other place to sit and eat alone without looking like an idiot or 'troubled'. I liked to go quietly eat outside and away from everyone because I felt better and I wasn't judged. There were other people that I tried to befriend that were not a good fit for me but I 'needed' people to not be viewed as an outsider I guess and I felt crappier. I stayed alone for awhile after that until I made more organic friends. I always felt better being on my own and doing my own thing until I could organically make friends that made me feel good because I eventually do then grabbing what is there and a lot of people don't realize it because a lot people view being alone as 'bad'. Being around others is good for mental health and having an encouraging community is good. However, most people don't realize how much a shit relationship can impact you more and make you feel crappier. When I get depressed, I do want to be alone more. But I felt much more depressed and unhappy being around certain people that made me feel alone because they didn't understand or could accept me. There have been studies of how feeling alone with other people can be worse for your health. Everyone is different but, yeah I just wanted to comment on that.
    One of the reason I personally am so attached to socionics is the fact that it can basically say "Ya you shouldn't be friends with this person" right off the bat. Of course there are definitely more universally bad traits that you have to try to recognize yourself in people, but being able to figure out which set of reasonably mature people to distance yourself from and bring yourself towards is very helpful. I know there are a couple EII's who I've gotten close to, and have now started to distance myself from once I realized that I wasn't actually that happy hanging out with them. It can be hard to actually try to find people you actually like being friends with though, especially when you consider that even people in your quadra aren't guaranteed to be very fun to talk to and can often be just average.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

For IEI specifically I think it can be important to hang around certain types to boost confidence and assertiveness. Realistically you sometimes can't just have these types in your life though- but for me it's helped. Try to find them if you can.

These include types IEIs tend to have a psychological advantage over, or it's compatible.

Other IEIs. (tbh this one probably helped the most and helped tremendously, especially when they are in a better position in life and take a liking to you. I look up to an older male IEI mentor who is in his 70s)

LIIs (beneficiary- they follow us around and can boost our confidence and help ease our depression - if you let them. Don't be afraid to be yourself around an LII- because they like Fe a lot.)

ILEs & SLEs (Mirage might be better than dual until the IEI is healthy enough. Duality will work the more IEI is truly confident and not neurotic.)

SEEs (Semi-dual... semi-dual relationships have a lot of natural affection which is helpful for IEIs. SEEs have been sweet and nice on me when I've needed it the most. Sometimes all you need is a little love, and Semi-dual relationships are quite often the most mutually loving.)

IEEs (Even though they are Deltas- the EP temperament can be compatible. They can give good advice if you learn how to just ignore them when they copy-paste Psychology Today articles too often. IEEs are often empathetic and sensitive to you even if understanding is limited.)

LSIs: Hanging around our activity partners tend to make IEIs a lot tougher, and the LSIs a lot sweeter and more big-hearted. It is usually a positive thing.

"Just get a real job and stop being a pussy" - I know it sounds harsh but I was able to become a manager at my old job because I pretended to be an EII-Ne to a LSE-Si boss. Use your IEI manipulative powers for your own advantage. The world runs on manipulation, so just get over it. If people get mad at you for being 'manipulative' let them- because nobody ever got where they were without being "Manipulative" to some degree or another. Think of Te as something that allows a person to be adaptive enough to be successful.

What helped me is also realizing I don't have to be responsible for other people's feelings. IEIs can get in the role of 'emotional tampon' too much- being lookalike to SEI. People think we care because we are often shy, sensitive, and have gone through a lot of darkness ourselves. It's pretty important to build up boundaries for this reason.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

gay SEE singing a sappy love song to his gay IEI semi-dual lololol:

TIM
    Sx/Sp 2w3
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is hard to be truly happy when you see through everything, but it is beautiful when you see other people seeing through the same things and still smiling, and so it is easy to laugh with them.
    ・゚*✧ 𝓘 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒶𝒸𝒸𝑒𝓅𝓉 𝒶 𝓁𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝓘 𝒹𝑜 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒹𝑒𝓈𝑒𝓇𝓋𝑒 ✧*:・゚

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

To have bad in the life does not lead to have bad emotions. Problems may activate too as tasks to solve.
    Bad or depressive emotions appear when you have inner conflict what supresses your energy state.

Ni types see not only bad, but may see good too in tendencies. And ways to come to that good.
    No of Jung types predisposes to a depression.

From types point to depression may the most predispose an activity in weak nonvalued regions (including, dealing IRL with conflictors and types having your supreego functions in ego). Strong nonvalued regions should be not good too, so have lesser negative influence.
    What helps to resist or improve emotional state - an activity in valued and especially weak valued regions (deal more with duals and semiduals).

You got SEI from me. So Ni should be not good for your psyche to deal much.

For Ni types as helpful - physical activity with objective traits of a materia. For example, Jung (ILI) had a hobby of sculpture.
    Sport, especially with an accent on physical force should help too.

For base Si types should help relating to Ne. To find and try anything "new". New music, places, cakes, people, ways to do something. To understand and suppose inner traits of people, objects, situations as what psychology does. Also deal more with Si regions as cooking. Try new recipes.

P.S.
    What you point is an example of wrong usage of Jung types. To type yourself to Ni and try to do more in Ne, while being Si, - leads to problems. To communicate much with bad IR would do the similar.

Banned
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's all about balance.

Too much Ni fantasy without being anchored into reality by Se will cause depression.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I agree that all types can get depressed but Ni-types seem to set higher expectations for themselves than most other types would and many of these expectations can be overly idealistic or impractical. With such high bars, Ni-types seem to have higher probabilities of extreme disappointment with their achievements or places in the world. I've known a few who've castigated and self-medicated themselves. However, it doesn't seem to be the failures that disappoint them; it's the tarnish that they see on their own self-image, which can be real or imagined.

a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For IEI specifically I think it can be important to hang around certain types to boost confidence and assertiveness. Realistically you sometimes can't just have these types in your life though- but for me it's helped. Try to find them if you can.

These include types IEIs tend to have a psychological advantage over, or it's compatible.

Other IEIs. (tbh this one probably helped the most and helped tremendously, especially when they are in a better position in life and take a liking to you. I look up to an older male IEI mentor who is in his 70s)

LIIs (beneficiary- they follow us around and can boost our confidence and help ease our depression - if you let them. Don't be afraid to be yourself around an LII- because they like Fe a lot.)

ILEs & SLEs (Mirage might be better than dual until the IEI is healthy enough. Duality will work the more IEI is truly confident and not neurotic.)

SEEs (Semi-dual... semi-dual relationships have a lot of natural affection which is helpful for IEIs. SEEs have been sweet and nice on me when I've needed it the most. Sometimes all you need is a little love, and Semi-dual relationships are quite often the most mutually loving.)

IEEs (Even though they are Deltas- the EP temperament can be compatible. They can give good advice if you learn how to just ignore them when they copy-paste Psychology Today articles too often. IEEs are often empathetic and sensitive to you even if understanding is limited.)

LSIs: Hanging around our activity partners tend to make IEIs a lot tougher, and the LSIs a lot sweeter and more big-hearted. It is usually a positive thing.

"Just get a real job and stop being a pussy" - I know it sounds harsh but I was able to become a manager at my old job because I pretended to be an EII-Ne to a LSE-Si boss. Use your IEI manipulative powers for your own advantage. The world runs on manipulation, so just get over it. If people get mad at you for being 'manipulative' let them- because nobody ever got where they were without being "Manipulative" to some degree or another. Think of Te as something that allows a person to be adaptive enough to be successful.

What helped me is also realizing I don't have to be responsible for other people's feelings. IEIs can get in the role of 'emotional tampon' too much- being lookalike to SEI. People think we care because we are often shy, sensitive, and have gone through a lot of darkness ourselves. It's pretty important to build up boundaries for this reason.
    Would you say there are types who tend to be psychologically unhealthy for IEI. One could assume that the types who you did not mention might be psychologically unhealthier for IEI. I'm not IEI. It'd be interesting to your take on this

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

@Stray Cat

I think that type of thing can be highly environment dependent or NTR, since IEIs are pretty adaptive as is. IEIs have an external polr so the right setting can make a lot of difference. LSEs... I can like doing business projects with them but in a casual conversation where u get to know somebody more personally it's awkward.

ILI with Fe polr can be awkward - especially if they are the same gender. SLI very weird and awkward too. if there's not another type around it can be like the cringiest thing.

Exxj in general are kinda blah. IEI are already 'too sensitive' and Exxjs often add to the sensitivy too mcuh although I've lived with a Exxj for years and just kinda gotten used to it and its my supervisee (ESE) They are often weridly spiky and will blurt out these weird things that I'm not even thinking of and their internal composition is not relaxed enough. They often get these horrible weird muscle spasms because they don't relax enough and if I absorb their feelings too much being around I also get the same physical pains and knots in my neck. =/

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Clinical depression is not type related.
    Plenty EII too are diagnosed with this. For EII it would seem to stem in lack of fulfillment in relationships, loneliness, and possibly making partners idols of happiness as in relying on their partner to make them happy. Again happiness can only come from God (in my opinion). No one or thing can make people happy because those are just idols that we latch on to
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newsflash

Stunted ILE Afraid of Own Shadow Drops Tutti Frutti Frozen Ices PolR Tears Projection Into Crowd.

Feels he exists, problem fixed.
    Last edited by roshanak; 07-21-2021 at 02:36 AM.

TIM
    ILI-HC
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although any type can be diagnosed with depression, it seems that the negativist-process Ni Egos (EIE, ILI) seem to be the ones to suffer the most from breakdowns and depression. At least in my experience, it's accurate when in times of stress or fatalism, I have a mental "NO EXIT" sign in front of me that just exacerbates desperation and hopelessness. Many of the times, this leads to a complete metamorphosis of the self that completely breaks down the previous fluctuation as a synthesis between the thesis (the previous self) and the anti-thesis (the situation of desperation), which either culminates in coma, suicide, or a renovated self.
    Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Bvd?
    Personal Website: https://sites.google.com/view/the-qams-diaries/the-qams-diaries

TIM
    ILE-De
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roshanak View Post
    Newsflash

Stunted ILE Afraid of Own Shadow Drops Tutti Frutti Frozen Ices PolR Tears Projection Into Crowd.

Feels he exists, problem fixed.
    The fact you edited this is confusing because whatever you did I still have no idea what the fuck you just said.

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't personally feel very prone to depression. I've certainly felt depressed and been to therapy for it before, but if we're talking about the actual disorder then I don't feel like Ni-base types are really that much more prone to it. I'm much better now, and it only really lasted a couple years
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't personally feel very prone to depression. I've certainly felt depressed and been to therapy for it before, but if we're talking about the actual disorder then I don't feel like Ni-base types are really
    that much more prone to it. I'm much better now, and it only really lasted a couple years
    I think that's a good point. I think Ni-ego can sometimes make you seem more sad than what you really are. IEIs can be very 'contained' I think despite the 3D Fe valuing.

And ILIs have their creative 3D valued Te to fall back on so are usually being a bit more productive or more logical than us and in crude American society people tend to think as long as you have a job and are doing something and not being emotional or appearing as "emo" than everything is fine. ((even when it might not be but.. lol))

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am an IEI who has 'put up with' mental health problems for a long time. I don't think we are as likely to recognise our depression as other types because it feels like a natural part of us. It's perhaps harder to see when it's getting out of hand.

When I was younger and read descriptions of anxiety and depression on health websites I found it hard to relate to the descriptions, even though now I can recognise I was moderately to extremely depressed and nervous all the time. I think this is because I didn't really have anything to compare it to, there weren't any times I felt motivated and carefree (as an adult). So I always thought that to be suffering from anxiety of depression you needed to have really obvious symptoms like crying a lot, feeling very dark and low or having panic attacks/ overwhelming panic like you might get before an interview for example. The shift I felt in the last year is very subtle. I still like to complain about stuff and get anxious about things but I have stopped dwelling on my mistakes so much and catastrophising things I am worried about so much. I can see that that isn't normal behaviour and I shouldn't accept it as just being 'part of my personality' or something that 'can't be helped'.

I think moderate depression and anxiety is something people often put up with for a long time before getting help. Perhaps more so people for people from working class backgrounds and maybe some other groups without much representation in the media. It might be a bit better now compared to when I was younger though.
    Last edited by Bethanyclaire; 07-22-2021 at 07:14 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast