Thread: TV reboots and Quadra Regression theory

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default TV reboots and Quadra Regression theory

Hello people. I've noticed something about TV reboots. It seems they don't go over well because they go 'backwards' in the quadra chain and regress. For example for the most part original Charmed (with Alyssa Milano, Holly Marie Combs & Shannen Doherty/Rose McGowan) was most likely an Alpha quadrant show. It had its moments when it was really good and progressed to Beta- like the season 3 finale was the best episode in the series & the season 1 Time Loop episode 'Deja Vu all over again' was also very good. Both these episodes was like Alpha Ne evolving into Beta Ni. But for the most part it was Alpha. Very 'child-like' and fluffy with lots of Ne & Fe.

However the new Charmed really seemed to regress into this Delta SJW thing. It's clearly not as good to me, the powers they have don't evolve correctly- you can't grow or really appreciate the girls like in the original - everything happens too quickly and dumb, and with really bad Delta SJW values. They made the girls black because they wanted to make a statement about race- but also sacrificed quality writing to do so. The original show was still feminist and about female-empowerment but more natural - the reboot just throws it in your face in an unhealthy way.

Another example of this phenomenon is the show 'Teen Titans.' Original Teen Titans was Beta I think that regressed into Alpha with Teen Titans Go. The original series was objectively just better, more relatable and 'realistic' but could still be Fe & Funny. The reboot is very silly unhealthy Alpha with tons of Fe/Ne jokes with no substance- it's just all over the place too & the continuity is all screwy and dumb because it's way too Ne in a bad way. With that said though- Teen Titans Go still makes me laugh at times and can be easier to follow at times because the show's lighting is bright and catchy. The screen and production of the original was often too dark at times and harder to follow. But still as a whole it's an example of quadra regression.

If you want a more serious example idk- in Walking Dead which is a delta show I think, they often talk about 'rebuilding civilization' in this worldly way with more real consequences which if done poorly in another spin-off - would be an example of Delta regressing into Gamma. I haven't watched an episode of Walking Dead in about two-three years though.

As for Gamma shows that regress poorly into Beta. Hmm I can't think of one off the top of my head but I'm sure there's lots of crime & court shows that suffer this fate.

I think you can reboot a show and have it regress and still have it be better in the original- at least in theory, but I can't think of any examples- it seems reboots suck because they are all regressing.

Anybody else see what I'm talking about or have any more examples? I'm also tagging this thread for @inumbra because I'm curious about her insights on this.
    Last edited by Hot Scalding Gayser; 07-12-2021 at 01:15 AM.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Also the Xena reboot, if it would have happened- definitely seemed like it was going to go from a Beta show PROGRESSING into Gamma so I'm curious how it would happen if the show got greenlit but alas, it was never meant to be.