Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: The Love of Money

  1. #1
    Adam Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Posts
    11,367
    Mentioned
    1163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default The Love of Money

    I was talking to a woman whom I like and said that she should meet my friend.
    I said, "He just bought three rental houses on a corner (total of 19 renters) and is going to knock the houses down and build an apartment complex which can rent to up to 75 people, which should net him a yearly profit of a few hundred thousand dollars even after he pays for the new mortgage" and she said "I hate him already."

    I said, "What?"

    She said, "Money grubbing bastard xzyxydbfber ddbud $#%% fg@*)9s s..snpth."
    She went on like this for a while, but this was the gist of it.

    So I know that some Quadras have a reputation for not caring about money (yeah, I'm talking to you, Alpha) and for holding personal honor above mercenary profits (that's you, Beta), but now I'm wondering just what it is that makes a person feel this way?

    Is it some information element? Is it the weather? What the hell is it?
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 06-29-2021 at 02:35 AM.

  2. #2
    Averroes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    376
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Envy and frustration with extortionary housing prices

  3. #3
    Ксеркс, царь царей xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Miniluv
    Posts
    7,069
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Massive simulated realities need the soulless NPC bad guys.

  4. #4
    Poptart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    985
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Large apartment complexes love to charge bogus fees and screw people out of their deposits.

  5. #5

    Default

    You made him sound like some asshole who threw 19 peeps out to make money in a way. Might not be the case, the story does not tell how kindly these people were treated.
    Not everyone likes the idea of tearing old buildings apart, tends to mean cheap lodging gets transformed into luxury stuff that makes the tax/rent of everything around go up.

  6. #6
    FreelancePoliceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    牛国
    TIM
    LII-Ne
    Posts
    2,878
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Housing market is terrible right now. Even if it suddenly crashes by 50% I'm not sure I'll ever be able to afford a house. If you work a low-wage job it's pretty much impossible to afford even an apartment on your own. And everything new that gets built is shit: looks like shit and is made of cheap plywood. I don't know this woman's thought process, but it's probably not "oh man, he's helping make new housing, which will drive housing costs down "; I'd guess it's more along the lines of "he's another rich bastard out to fuck us over. Investing in housing? That's what got us into this mess in the first place. Those goddamned assholes, framing their attempt to make a buck off us as something altruistic"...or something like that.
    Last edited by FreelancePoliceman; 06-29-2021 at 11:21 AM.
    φιλοκαλοῦμέν τε γὰρ μετ᾽ εὐτελείας καὶ φιλοσοφοῦμεν ἄνευ μαλακίας.

    It’s hard to translate this literally and poetically into English, but this is my attempt at a translation: “For we love beauty, that we attain good ends thereby, and we love wisdom, though not in a way that makes us soft, nor that causes us to value weakness.”

  7. #7
    FreelancePoliceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    牛国
    TIM
    LII-Ne
    Posts
    2,878
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flowers and sugar View Post
    You made him sound like some asshole who threw 19 peeps out to make money in a way. Might not be the case, the story does not tell how kindly these people were treated.
    Not everyone likes the idea of tearing old buildings apart, tends to mean cheap lodging gets transformed into luxury stuff that makes the tax/rent of everything around go up.
    """""luxury""""" apartments lol. I guess that means "if you move into one, I'll be able to afford more luxuries." There's no actual meaning to that term except as an excuse to charge more. Hate it.
    φιλοκαλοῦμέν τε γὰρ μετ᾽ εὐτελείας καὶ φιλοσοφοῦμεν ἄνευ μαλακίας.

    It’s hard to translate this literally and poetically into English, but this is my attempt at a translation: “For we love beauty, that we attain good ends thereby, and we love wisdom, though not in a way that makes us soft, nor that causes us to value weakness.”

  8. #8
    Humanist Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    25,708
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    I may say something like that lol
    Mostly because of interest in human welfare over capitalism
    If they are going to displace people without housing them.

    I guess she must have misunderstood your friends intention
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 2w1sw(1w9) helps others to live up to their own standards of what a good person is and is very behind the scenes in the process.
    Tritype 1-2-6 stacking sp/sx


    I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

    Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

  9. #9
    idiot sandwich aixelsyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    TIM
    Tentatively SLI
    Posts
    770
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I can sort of see both sides. Yes, there is an opportunity to house more people, but quality of life matters, as well. But in both instances (rental house or apartment complex), much depends on how the properties are managed, what is allowed and what isn't, and so on and so forth. The apartment complex could indeed be a good thing, but it really depends on your friend, his competence, and his ethics. Understandably, there is often a lack of trust that goes both ways. Tenants don't trust landlords and landlords don't trust tenants and it's not for no reason.

  10. #10
    AWellArmedCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Northern Japan
    TIM
    IEI-Fe, 4w3 so/sx
    Posts
    284
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I enjoy money and I certainly don't feel this way. To me money doesn't mean anything on its own though. I like money because money buys freedom. You can't buy happiness, but you can buy freedom, and freedom is happiness. I am pretty good at saving my money, which is perhaps contrary to PoLR Te stereotypes, but I save it because when I have money I feel a tangible sense of freedom, and when I don't have it I feel restricted. I like feeling like I *could* buy things, but don't really buy much because if I did then I wouldn't have that feeling of potential anymore
    猫が生き甲斐

  11. #11
    Averroes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    376
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I like money but i don’t expect to ever make more than a lower middle class salary since my spawn point and intelligence/charisma stats are poor
    Last edited by Averroes; 06-30-2021 at 03:37 PM.

  12. #12
    Adam Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Posts
    11,367
    Mentioned
    1163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have an ILI investment advisor and when he first told me how much his fee is, I about choked. He saw this and said, "You only have to decide whether or not I'm worth it." I gambled on him for the first year to see how it would go, and it turns out that his return to me is much greater than his costs.

    I'm working with an ESI-Se Dual who is remodeling my house. What I'm paying her puts her in the top 10% of income earners.
    On the one hand, this is very good pay for someone who has never done this before. On the other hand, her taste is perfectly in-line with mine and exceeds it. She works hard and is on time and we discuss hours and tasks before they happen, and then she keeps her word. Could I get a more experienced interior decorator? Yes. I know a couple of them, but they are ESEs and they don't share my tastes, while the ESI does. So, is the ESI worth what I'm paying her? Absolutely. That's all I have to determine.

    She said she's lucky to have met me. I said I'm lucky to have met her.
    It's a good trade.
    I'm convinced that getting to the better part of life consists of working with the right people.
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 06-30-2021 at 03:55 PM.

  13. #13
    Poptart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    985
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Averroes View Post
    I like money but i don’t expect to ever make more than a lower middle class salary since my spawn point and intelligence/charisma stats are poor
    Lol. My spawn point is good but all of my other stats are average at best.

  14. #14
    Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    eastern U.S.
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Posts
    3,360
    Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    I have an ILI investment advisor and when he first told me how much his fee is, I about choked. He saw this and said, "You only have to decide whether or not I'm worth it." I gambled on him for the first year to see how it would go, and it turns out that his return to me is much greater than his costs.

    I'm working with an ESI-Se Dual who is remodeling my house. What I'm paying her puts her in the top 10% of income earners.
    On the one hand, this is very good pay for someone who has never done this before. On the other hand, her taste is perfectly in-line with mine and exceeds it. She works hard and is on time and we discuss hours and tasks before they happen, and then she keeps her word. Could I get a more experienced interior decorator? Yes. I know a couple of them, but they are ESEs and they don't share my tastes, while the ESI does. So, is the ESI worth what I'm paying her? Absolutely. That's all I have to determine.

    She said she's lucky to have met me. I said I'm lucky to have met her.
    It's a good trade.
    I'm convinced that getting to the better part of life consists of working with the right people.
    For that pay I'd gladly fly out and do your house! But the ESI is perfect for you; I am convinced a dual or at least someone in your quada is ideal for decorating your space, as long as they have some kind if eye for it. Also a financial adviser from your quada is great, too! All good!

    Does it feel great to start seeing transformations at home?

    Tell her to look into FB Mkpl. As long as you are looking near a bigger city, many unique, beautiful and very high-end things can be found at rock bottom prices at times. You just have to be wiling to drive for pick up, and sometimes rent a truck for bigger things.

    ______

    So since this is about wealth, I will share prophetic word about wealth in the USA that you may want to consider. (Other nations will have transformations too).

    When I first started hearing some prophets on this, I took this that I occasionally heard about wealth with a big grain of salt. But now I have heard it often enough by reliable prophets and I believe it.

    That is: As God's hand exposes evil and it faces God's reckoning across our land beginning July 4th and it keeps going until America is quite transformed by spring of 2022, this transformation will include God removing wealth from the evil (includes the end of some major corporations that we never thought we would see come down) and He will disperse it instead to those more deserving, who will not do evil, and will not work against His will. Wealth will be transferred to people who never had wealth before.

    So it would be wise to tell your investor soon to transfer all your investments out of companies you believe may be, or are rumored to be, involved in evil things at the top, and get it instead into places that seem GOOD. I wager Disney, Microsoft, Google, media outlets, any pharmecueticals corporations are instant "no's". (We removed our Disney). Because GOOD is truly going to reign for awhile, after the inevitable shakedown. Reversals are coming.

  15. #15
    Adam Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Posts
    11,367
    Mentioned
    1163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Thomason View Post
    For that pay I'd gladly fly out and do your house! But the ESI is perfect for you; I am convinced a dual or at least someone in your quada is ideal for decorating your space, as long as they have some kind if eye for it. Also a financial adviser from your quada is great, too! All good!
    Thanks, Eliza. You are right about people in one's quadra being more likely to be on the same page. Shared values matter a lot.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Thomason View Post
    Does it feel great to start seeing transformations at home?
    Yes, absolutely. I mostly plan, but she motivates.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Thomason View Post
    Tell her to look into FB Mkpl. As long as you are looking near a bigger city, many unique, beautiful and very high-end things can be found at rock bottom prices at times. You just have to be wiling to drive for pick up, and sometimes rent a truck for bigger things.
    Lol. She's already on it. That's where she's been selling the stuff that I won't use.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Thomason View Post

    ______

    So since this is about wealth, I will share prophetic word about wealth in the USA that you may want to consider. (Other nations will have transformations too).

    When I first started hearing some prophets on this, I took this that I occasionally heard about wealth with a big grain of salt. But now I have heard it often enough by reliable prophets and I believe it.

    That is: As God's hand exposes evil and it faces God's reckoning across our land beginning July 4th and it keeps going until America is quite transformed by spring of 2022, this transformation will include God removing wealth from the evil (includes the end of some major corporations that we never thought we would see come down) and He will disperse it instead to those more deserving, who will not do evil, and will not work against His will. Wealth will be transferred to people who never had wealth before.

    So it would be wise to tell your investor soon to transfer all your investments out of companies you believe may be, or are rumored to be, involved in evil things at the top, and get it instead into places that seem GOOD. I wager Disney, Microsoft, Google, media outlets, any pharmecueticals corporations are instant "no's". (We removed our Disney). Because GOOD is truly going to reign for awhile, after the inevitable shakedown. Reversals are coming.
    The ESI said something similar. She doesn't want to invest in any evil corporation. Fortunately, there are mutual funds that tailor their portfolios towards ethical companies.

  16. #16
    Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    eastern U.S.
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Posts
    3,360
    Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    The ESI said something similar. She doesn't want to invest in any evil corporation. Fortunately, there are mutual funds that tailor their portfolios towards ethical companies.
    Even though I was my ESI Mom's Supervisor, I always very much valued her ethics.
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........


    "Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

    .
    .
    .


  17. #17
    Ксеркс, царь царей xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Miniluv
    Posts
    7,069
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    I was talking to a woman whom I like and said that she should meet my friend.
    I said, "He just bought three rental houses on a corner (total of 19 renters) and is going to knock the houses down and build an apartment complex which can rent to up to 75 people, which should net him a yearly profit of a few hundred thousand dollars even after he pays for the new mortgage" and she said "I hate him already."

    I said, "What?"

    She said, "Money grubbing bastard xzyxydbfber ddbud $#%% fg@*)9s s..snpth."
    She went on like this for a while, but this was the gist of it.

    So I know that some Quadras have a reputation for not caring about money (yeah, I'm talking to you, Alpha) and for holding personal honor above mercenary profits (that's you, Beta), but now I'm wondering just what it is that makes a person feel this way?

    Is it some information element? Is it the weather? What the hell is it?
    Will the prior tenants have to accept a new contract, or will the old rent suffice? If this isn't just a stunt to jack up the price, then it may be easier to justify building the new apartments on the basis of increasing the supply of homes (my city badly needs this).

  18. #18
    Ho Ho Ho! Santa Claus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    108
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Without a Profit Motive, Society would soon descend into a Dark Age.

  19. #19
    Adam Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Posts
    11,367
    Mentioned
    1163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    Will the prior tenants have to accept a new contract, or will the old rent suffice? If this isn't just a stunt to jack up the price, then it may be easier to justify building the new apartments on the basis of increasing the supply of homes (my city badly needs this).

    The prior tenants live in three houses that will be bulldozed and it will take about a year to build a new apartment block, so I'm pretty sure that they will have an opportunity to find new housing. I doubt if the new owners give a rip what they do. The new rents will be what they will be to cover costs and make the whole exercise worth doing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •