Thread: Using your role function

TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Using your role function

When others ask that I use my role, it's no prob. Just another good deed.
    Any other time, it's basically a betrayal of my lead
    Anybody here use their role & feel like shit after?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I'm using my role it's usually a dire situation

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've sometimes felt pressured into it around LSEs. On the occasions I've leaned into it it's felt strange. It's hard to explain what it's like. "Betrayal" may be right; it's as if I act like another person.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feeling like your are a phony is uncomfortable, most of the time.

But I'm not sure whether we can associate this with the role function, specifically

TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gulenko personally believes the psych reserves a given amount of energy for the role function. Its gotta be trained like a muscle that it solves repetitive simple problems on a societal level

I get a kick out of using it privately but my guess is its, maybe, not ideal for "intimate" use or when you wanna impress someone.

I'm not hungry mommy bear BrainlessSquid's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE-Fi
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel very self conscious but It's a good ego boost to train and be "good" at it
    Sometimes you don't have motivation because you lack purpose.
    Sometimes you don't have purpose, because you lack self-knowledge
    Sometimes you don't have self-knowledge because you lack love
    Sometimes you don't have love because you lack self-love
    Sometimes you don't have self-love because you lack guess what? Ask Gulenko!!

TIM
    HN-SLI-Te
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually use it in complicated situations where my ego functions are not suitable. Many times I've been overconfident in Ni, acting like it's my strong point when in fact it's not. I see it as a tool to solve problems while my Si is closer to how I want to live. I feel like it's something necessary to be good at to succeed in life, I'm trying to improve it but I don't like when others use it and I can't learn it from others, it's more personal to me.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Exhaustive. Tiresome. It feels like living handbrakes on. Examples include 12 hours of work for minimal stuff.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s something I don’t really think about if I’m that good at it or not, but when I try, I start realizing how inadequate I actually am at it. Not the worst, but just-inadequate.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    IEI-Fe(C)
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Cat View Post
    Hm, well for me it's the opposite and i don't mind using it for myself or if no one asked for it. It can feel good in that it is my only not-shit access to Sensing lol and when you're pretty cerebral, feeling more in touch with the concrete world can feel good regardless of if it's Si or Se.
    If i feel like it's expected of me by a person then it's like, do it yourself!! what are you, a child?
    Well. I still do it, but begrudgingly..

TIM
    IEI-Fe(C)
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do feel bad after using it for a while, but the emotion I notice more is anger at whoever or whatever demanded it of me.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking on it more, I wonder if I feel more comfortable when I use Fi as an ESI would, and less comfortable when using it as an EII. DarkAngelFireWolf69 already distinguishes between positive and negative expressions of functions, I believe, so I don't think this is too heretical, lol. But basically ESIs' Fi seems to be more distanced and, generally, more about what one should not do than what one should do. I don't feel really uncomfortable adopting this ESI-like "attitude" wrt Fi, but when I feel pressured to use it in more of a "constructive" fashion...well, I feel pressured. I remember a recent-ish moral argument I got into with an LSE, where I felt myself adopting more and more of this EII-like persona. I was quite uncomfortable with the way I was expressing myself, and I felt stressed trying to defend myself.

There are maybe a few exceptions. For instance, I try to maintain an attitude of kindness and warmth to animals and children in this "constructive" "EII-like" Fi-way, I think, though it's hard to explain what I mean by that. But it feels that in general, the ESI style of Fi gives more 'breathing room' for me.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

could you post up some examples of what you're talking about?

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PinKDiGiT18 View Post
    That makes sense, I honestly feel the same way about LII Ti vs LSI Ti. It’s easier for me to explain things in specifics than it is to generalize. That’s one of the reasons duality offers greater informational exchange than mirage and semi-duality.

For example, my functions are +Fi and -Ne (and corresponding -Te and +Si):

My dual is +Te and -Si.
    My semi-dual is -Te and +Ni.
    My mirage is -Fe and +Si.
    My activator is -Si and +Te.

Only type other than the dual who has the same signs is your activator. Neither the semi-dual nor the mirage supplements the 5th and 6th functions in the way you expect. It’s like giving a dehydrated person juice instead of water. The person’s thirst is quenched, but was that really the drink they needed?

Sharing signs makes it easier to find common ground for interaction, though.
    According to Gulenko, your benefit ring and your supervision ring has the same signs with you and your dual. We don't share the signs with our activator partner.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by qaz00 View Post
    I can't learn it from others, it's more personal to me.
    According to Gulenko, you can learn from your dual and semi-dual. Since according to model G, we actually have lots of info about our ignoring function and try to improve others or give advices in this area.

TIM
    EII-1Ne 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by myresearch View Post
    According to Gulenko, your benefit ring and your supervision ring has the same signs with you and your dual. We don't share the signs with our activator partner.
    Yes, I meant one’s activator and one’s dual share the same signs with each other, not with the person’s own type. On the positive/negative axis.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PinKDiGiT18 View Post
    Yes, I meant one’s activator and one’s dual share the same signs with each other, not with the person’s own type. On the positive/negative axis.
    That might be true based on another model or according to a different socionist. I meant according to Gulenko, EII has Fi+, Ne+, Si-,Te- and hence seeks Te-, LSE has Te-, Si-, Ne+,Fi+ and hence seeks Fi+. SLI has Si+,Te+. So duals share the same signs, but one's dual doesn't share the same signs with one's activator.

According to Reinin, LSEs are negativist, SLIs are positivist, Gulenko's system make sense also according to Reinin Dichotomies since LSE has a negative base (Te-), SLI has positive base (Si+), etc.

According to this system, types has the following signed functions:

EII, SEI, LSI, ILI, SEE, LSE, EIE, ILE: Fi+, Fe-, Ni-, Ne+, Si-, Se+, Ti+, Te-

LII, SLI, ESI, IEI, SLE, ESE, LIE, IEE: Fi-, Fe+, Ni+, Ne-, Si+, Se-, Ti-, Te+

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

To make it clearer it is very hard on my own. Some flexing is possible around others. So I think external pressure helps.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by myresearch View Post
    That might be true based on another model or according to a different socionist. I meant according to Gulenko, EII has Fi+, Ne+, Si-,Te- and hence seeks Te-, LSE has Te-, Si-, Ne+,Fi+ and hence seeks Fi+. SLI has Si+,Te+. So duals share the same signs, but one's dual doesn't share the same signs with one's activator.

According to Reinin, LSEs are negativist, SLIs are positivist, Gulenko's system make sense also according to Reinin Dichotomies since LSE has a negative base (Te-), SLI has positive base (Si+), etc.

According to this system, types has the following signed functions:

EII, SEI, LSI, ILI, SEE, LSE, EIE, ILE: Fi+, Fe-, Ni-, Ne+, Si-, Se+, Ti+, Te-

LII, SLI, ESI, IEI, SLE, ESE, LIE, IEE: Fi-, Fe+, Ni+, Ne-, Si+, Se-, Ti-, Te+
    Read this as well

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    could you post up some examples of what you're talking about?

Imagine someone asks you to play a specific part in a play. You hate acting but do it anyway to be social.

If you act in other plays, despite not liking it, any satisfaction you get would have to come externally (money, adoration)

Without that external satisfaction, you feel you betrayed yourself. After all, YOU hate acting, ended up using energy to do it & & got nothing in return for your services

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I notice I use it on instinct a lot when I'm uncomfortable or I'm around somebody I thought I could get along well with but it turns out to be the opposite ((and they have felt similar)), and I will kind of awkwardly use Si to sort of prevent it from getting more awkward.

Both my Si and Ti are supposedly 'two-dimensional' but I would say my Ti feels stronger than my Si most of the time. Maybe this is cuz I had a LII daddy and he really kind of pressured me to use Ti more growing up.

TIM
    LII 5w6-1w9-2w1
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not confident enough in my Fi but I do use it sometimes. I also use Ti to solve Fi problems sometimes.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are producing subtype, you probably have a better grasp of your role function, and/or use it more skillfully than if you were inert subtype.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The only times that behaviours associated with the so-called "role function" become apparent are when people aren't coping well in normal processing modes or are under stress (Model A is definitely exhibiting its role function here ). These two states tend to create anxiety and or make one feel somewhat inadequate so feeling like shit is a possible outcome but not all the time.

a.k.a. I/O
    Last edited by Rebelondeck; 06-13-2021 at 02:12 PM. Reason: grammar

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am actually very comfortable using my Role function.. however I have been raised with a dual mother for the first half of my life, and the majority of the relationships that I’ve had with other people around me ( family members as well as most friends) have been from the Beta quadra. That is how I found this thread- I am actually trying to find out if being “dualized” or being close to my opposite quadra has anything to do with the functions that I am comfortable using that are uncharacteristic of my IEE type.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roger557 View Post
    If you are producing subtype, you probably have a better grasp of your role function, and/or use it more skillfully than if you were inert subtype.
    what subtype would be the “producing” of an IEE?

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    what subtype would be the “producing” of an IEE?
    Found this:
    Accepting subtype corresponds to accentuation of “accepting” functions 1, 3, 5, 7; these are Program, Ignoring, Role, and Suggestive.Producing subtype corresponds to accentuation of “producing” functions 2, 4, 6, 8; these are Creative, Demonstrative, Activating, and Vulnerable.

Source: https://wikisocion.github.io/content/subtype.html

roger557 doesn't seem very active these days sadly. I think he may have mixed producing with contact subtype here. Enhanced functions of contact subtype is on the link and includes role.
    There have been people claiming that contact subtype is more well-rounded so there's that.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The role function is the one we just use for appearances right? I feel like every time I use my role function, it's cringe. I feel like I use it a ton when I write posts on this site, I use big words for no good reason and probably incorrectly to sound educated.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if I'm Ne or Fi subtype ( though I lean towards Fi subtype more ) but I use Se :

when I meet someone for the first time and I want to give a good impression
    When someone piss me off

When I have to finish a really important work that I personally value a lot

However, in daily life I need a little push from someone to do something I don't want, because I'd rather connect with others and pursue my own projects instead.
    Last edited by Squirrel; 07-03-2022 at 04:03 PM.
    Souls know their way back home

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With close people I tend to be more aggressive, while with strangers or "enemies" I try to show a psychological closeness or distance that varies in intensity according to the person. With my Fi role I can thus express opinions in a less imposing way, as if I were wise and very calm (configuration with Si demonstrative). I resemble a lot an artificial EII in this sense. I'm not a lot genuine, it's just "a mask/role" I need to cover for this situation.

I can be apparently repulsive on a person I don't hate just because for principle (Ti) I can't accept his bad behavior to me, so my Fi role is used to equilibrate the situation, or for punishment. I don't like getting things on a personal level when I'm in a normal state, still I can't allow others to disrupt laws of good manners.

I can also find myself using it in a completely uncontrolled way, but often this happens as a consequence of an event related to my suggestive. I show strong emotional intensity for a very limited period and can find myself behaving in a way I regret the next day, for example showing feelings to a person I have argued and apologize even when I wasn't wrong (while basically I don't feel anything for people I walk away from when I'm in a normal state), or start thinking how to get closer to the person who caused this.
    This is very similiar to what I saw in other LSIs too.

It is not so much the use of the function that bothers me, because it sometimes helps me to receive positive feedback and advantages, but the context that forces me to do it. I find myself annoying when doing it and when I use it in an impulsive way I feel really humiliating, it's like being drunk. I hate not having control over my actions, and I know everytime I'm caught in feelings I stop doing my works, so I instantly try to detatch from it after regaining control.