Thread: How do you personally type people?

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How do you personally type people?

I want to know how you personally go about typing people. Do you have a set method that you use every time? Do you type based on vibes? Does VI factor into your typings at all, and if so, how? Do you like to figure out the program function first, or do you perhaps like to do something weirder and start with the HA? Do you focus much on quadras initially? Do you plug elements into a function until you find one that fits? What's your strategy? I'm curious.

In addition, do you feel your strategy is better than others? If so why? What are the advantages and disadvantages of your method?

As for my own strategy, it's a bit loose and may vary from person to person, but in general it's deductive. If I really wanna sit down and figure out someone's type I'll whip out my whiteboard, write each type out, and then also write the 8 information elements out. I cross off elements which definitely aren't ego functions, and then cross off the corresponding types. Ideally I do this with the person I'm trying to type so that I can explain each one and they can give me feedback on what does or doesn't resonate with them. Generally I try to make it as much of a collaborative process as possible if I have access to the person themselves. I don't trust typings assigned to people who don't understand the theory at least a little bit. I still use such typings for my own reference, but consider the typing "incomplete" until I sit down and confirm it with them. Anyways, most of the time we are able to establish whatever the rational ego element is. I find rational ego elements especially when extroverted (Fe or Te basically) to be the easiest to spot. Sometimes I'll even mark out a few functions Fe or Te could occupy in someone's type if I'm really stuck even if the person definitely isn't an Fe or Te ego type. I do this because typing can often get very abstract, and identifying and working from those elements I feel can help ground things again if things are getting too hazy. I basically keep repeating the process of figuring out possible functions the different elements could occupy, and narrowing down the types they could be as possibilities are thrown out. My method is a lot like playing sudoku with type. There's usually a few things which are somewhat apparent, and I work from those to gradually come to a conclusion I feel is basically irrefutable, because in the end, assuming that I at least understand the definition of the elements and the typee's cognition properly (which is why I like to have them there with me), even if the type we come up with has a weird description that doesn't fit them super well, we at least know from a theoretical perspective that it must be their type since the other's simply can't be.

The biggest problem I face in this method is second-guessing my understanding of the information elements and functions (something I do a lot lately since I recently immigrated from MBTIland), but assuming my understanding is accurate I believe this method is the most reliable and expedient.

What do you think?
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't.
    It hits me at some point or it doesn't happen, I don't try to force it.
    If I get curious about someone's type, I'll just be more attentive until something happens.
    More attentive to them and to anything around, never know where it can come from.
    Like you, AWellArmedCat, are the reason I could type someone I hadn't seen in ten years with your post on flirting, lol.

In the end, it doesn't matter how one types, each person has to find the way that works for them.

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flowers and sugar View Post
    Like you, AWellArmedCat, are the reason I could type someone I hadn't seen in ten years with your post on flirting, lol.
    Oh! Well, I'm glad I could help
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I VI straight side profile picture
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beautiful sky View Post
    I VI straight side profile picture
    I think you mean you VI from a front, 3/4, and profile view, but the way you said it is a bit confusing and sounds like you mean you only use the profile view. Alternatively it sounds like maybe you're saying you VI from the front and (side) profile views while also taking into account their profile picture on this site. I'm confused. What exactly do you VI from?
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AWellArmedCat View Post
    I think you mean you VI from a front, 3/4, and profile view, but the way you said it is a bit confusing and sounds like you mean you only use the profile view. Alternatively it sounds like maybe you're saying you VI from the front and (side) profile views while also taking into account their profile picture on this site. I'm confused. What exactly do you VI from?
    both but primarily from the side profile
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    LII 5w6-1w9-2w1
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flowers and sugar View Post
    I don't.
    It hits me at some point or it doesn't happen, I don't try to force it.
    If I get curious about someone's type, I'll just be more attentive until something happens.
    Similar, I only "type" people that I'm very familiar with IRL. Actually I don't type them but based on my long-term communications with them I easily draw conclusions. And I have to say that Socionics types are very accurate based on my experience. Although the number of my samples is quite limited.

There are people who studied MBTI or other typologies such as E9 and asked me to type them online and I often found them to be very hard to type.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there isn't a "method" in the slightest, it's what strikes me. I don't expect all people or examples to, I don't need to type ppl really even though I'm curious and I'll use ppl as examples to feed my understanding of the system as a whole. I've also been here a long time, I know what makes sense and what doesn't without any effort. My biggest weakness is just my lack of irl interactions, as has always been. I always seem to have a clear opinion on how good at this others are as well.

Lol it's not about who ppl are (Fi) bit about what the system is (Ti).

TIM
    SLE-D 8w7 863 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't. and whoever do that, is a very nice a*s id**t !

you can't type people, you can create b*lls*it and express it, but that's not who he/she is.

you can type people ONLY from what they say to you. if they tell you they look for effectiveness, and they look for effectiveness. just like this. any clever-like move about these things will give you only wrong information, and they, will fail you. so, if you want to know someone, ask him/her, don't be a psychologist, psychologists are fu**ing stu*id co*ksu**ers.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't naturally read people well so as I got higher in management, I needed a understanding-people strategy. I "adapted" Socionics because most of the modelling didn't make much sense to me but there was a solid starting point. I've discounted VI and trying to type people in a public forum. Now, I don't even try to know the type of most people. However, when I talk to a person of interest one-on-one: I first determine temperament by asking myself two basic questions: Is this person input or output oriented; and is this person an open- or closed-loop thinker? This I found to be relatively easy to determine and can't usually be hidden. For the processing preferences (F, T, N and S), I let them tell me by asking them loaded questions. At work, I usually have that person's bio and/or resume but it can be tricky even then because people who are uncomfortable will only let you see their public personas. It's better to guide them to their own revelation but I have found that many don't admit to who they really are even to themselves; and those are the ones that shouldn't be hired.

a.k.a. I/O

I'm not hungry mommy bear BrainlessSquid's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE-Fi
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I go by the basic E-I, N-S, E-T, p-j dichotomies.
    But it's not an easy task, since there are shy extroverts, intellectual sensors, cold feelers and strict irrationals/perceivers.

I can also spot weak intuition and p/j traits with ease. It's also fairly easy to spot feelers.
    I have more *difficulty* or less ease I'd say distinguishing introverts and extroverts, even though it is usually not very hard to tell, but people can fake that trait more than the others
    Sometimes you don't have motivation because you lack purpose.
    Sometimes you don't have purpose, because you lack self-knowledge
    Sometimes you don't have self-knowledge because you lack love
    Sometimes you don't have love because you lack self-love
    Sometimes you don't have self-love because you lack guess what? Ask Gulenko!!

TIM
    ILI-HN ?
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I type mostly by vibes and VI can be a factor

Riley and Bunny together forever HicksHawking 14Raptor19's Avatar
    Macroverse MtBattle ScholarsGarden Halloween1993 SuperNexus InfinitiesUltimate AllSpectraEverywhere
    TIM
    RayquazaRaichuArceus
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm very interested in personality with people who are really archaic, classic, and interesting, like da Vinci or Einstein, but with the regular, common, easy to singularity siphon from any bolt or tongue in the bowstring I don't sink down into that low for expelling the shades of misery from their gauntlet of control.

Like when I was watching the Raptors Warriors final from 2019, I'm like, yup, Leonard is an important and abstract, farfetched, wide ranging player, so he must be infp, being so cut from the garden mansion of groove and spin, but steph curry, he could be anything from istp to esfj, but personally, do I really care, do I even need to pick, or waste my energy and time there? No hard feelings, nothing against you steph, but you're just sort of cool, I guess, I think?
    Raptor had to lose in 2006 to become Revan, important errands of knighthood and valor to walk with Pokemon and charm the melodies of sweet channels to lush frenzy galloping solo yet swiftly into the sunrise for maximum presents and signed in deluxe oceans of fast trading cards bazooka cascading rumba of love Force constellations restoring last battle cardinal plants actively swirling for juice and petals to wishes
    https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...k-2024-edition

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CR400AF View Post
    Similar, I only "type" people that I'm very familiar with IRL. Actually I don't type them but based on my long-term communications with them I easily draw conclusions. And I have to say that Socionics types are very accurate based on my experience. Although the number of my samples is quite limited.
    This reminds me of a Ti lead I knew, most likely LSI, but anyway.
    She said she analyzed people when interacting with them to draw conclusions and place them in the right box. Her base mode of operation was analysing everything all the time from what she said.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I don't try to type people, but after being obsessed for years, "Ne" becomes an obvious trait like "brown eyes"

TIM
    IEI-Fe(C)
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use a very similar method as you, it's deductive, but i just do it in my head.
    Yeah, I'd say my understanding of IE and my typing of people are closely related because as I think over one, I inherently think over the other.
    I'd like to learn how to V.I. that seems fascinating. also very useful on dating apps if i choose to use one in the future.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

better than average

I generally don't type people without some kind of physical or repeated interaction because I think it's important to consider a person from all angles. Likewise, I think understanding a person in full (or as close to it as an outside observer is capable of) is important, so I don't believe in typing someone after limited interaction. The people in my life I've attempted to understand via type are close enough and frequent enough that I feel I have a more than superficial understanding of them, and even then I think it's important to recognize the role that relationships and interactions play in perceiving others.

First: what is the impression the person gives? I think first impressions are pretty important. Are they open, closed, outgoing, private, physical, impressive, emotional, etc etc. I guess succinctly, what are the first few words you could use to describe a person? This isn't directly related to type, but understanding a person overall. That understanding can be connected to type afterward; this can help avoid shoe-horning. In general, this is just a step to help understand what another person is about and useful way beyond typology.

Second: after a while interacting with someone, you can gauge the subtleties. Compare the first impression with overall view: was it accurate? What's changed? At this point, an actual type might start to become apparent. I think dichotomies and the base, creative, and demonstrative are the most apparent things, so if I'm actively trying to type someone, these are the things I consider at this point.

Third: the details. Does a supposed type match with supposed intertype relations, certain reinin dichotomies; do all functions, descriptions, and dichotomies align? Is it possible to explain discrepencies with subtype, circumstance, etc, or are these things a stretch? Etc. Sometimes this stage means going back to the drawing board, and other times things seem to fit neatly into place.

I think holistically understanding someone is very important, and something that is often overlooked in typology. Afterall, we're trying to describe archetypes and not specifics. Specifics shouldn't contradict the greater picture; both ends should inform the other.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t have any method, but I really like when people do and the idea of it...way too disorganized for that. Honestly I think I start off with whatever sticks out to me the most. Some people seem pretty easy because some can immediately make you think introvert/extrovert, thinker/feeler. Also I guess the Ni/Se and Ne/Si divide. It seems like there are things that Ni/Se types are interested in/drawn to and whenever someone shows interest in those things, it makes me start leaning one way or the other for them. I consider temperament, too, but honestly I have the hardest time with temperament~and DCNH has helped me a lot there I think, if you subscribe to that kind of thing, because it starts seeming confusing when you start noticing conflicting information (like a messy IJ).

Anyway, I’ve never felt certain about anyone’s type. I usually develop an idea about what type I think they are, but it’s interesting to hear others ideas, and if it makes sense, I’m pretty easy to convince. Unless it doesn’t make sense, and then I question why this person doesn’t make sense and start psychoanalyzing them lol
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    LIE ENTj
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems to be an inductive process for most people. I don't trust inductive processes.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrenology

An optimist - does not get discouraged under any circumstances. Life upheavals and stressful events only toughen him and make more confident. He likes to laugh and entertain people. Enters contact with someone by involving him with a humorous remark. His humor is often sly and contain hints and double meanings. Easily enters into arguments and bets, especially if he is challenged. When arguing his points is often ironic, ridicules the views of his opponent. His irritability and hot temper may be unpleasant to others. However, he himself is not perceptive of this and believes that he is simply exchanging opinions.

http://www.wikisocion.net/en/index.php?title=LIE_Profile_by_Gulenko

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alomoes View Post
    It seems to be an inductive process for most people. I don't trust inductive processes.
    Same tbh. I definitely do get vibes around people and notice when they remind me of others, but I wouldn't say I "knew" what their type was before I had gone through with my deductive method
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've realised that I can't type anyone close to correctly until I have spent time with them on a daily basis and seen them in their element, talking about (or doing) something that means a lot to them - without pressure to present any other way.

It doesn't help that I see myself in a multitude of types, and so I too easily imagine variations on type/s for others, too. Especially in close contact, you realise the different ways people can be, and it is a welcome comfort that this is not measurable.

TIM
    no clue
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I generally type through communication styles, IMEs, Model A, and type descriptions.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Urine test.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    I'm very interested in personality with people who are really archaic, classic, and interesting, like da Vinci or Einstein, but with the regular, common, easy to singularity siphon from any bolt or tongue in the bowstring I don't sink down into that low for expelling the shades of misery from their gauntlet of control.

Like when I was watching the Raptors Warriors final from 2019, I'm like, yup, Leonard is an important and abstract, farfetched, wide ranging player, so he must be infp, being so cut from the garden mansion of groove and spin, but steph curry, he could be anything from istp to esfj, but personally, do I really care, do I even need to pick, or waste my energy and time there? No hard feelings, nothing against you steph, but you're just sort of cool, I guess, I think?
    Reading this made me about 10% more dumb. Thank you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a magician never reveals his tricks

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Through phrenology.

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Through their 5 SEC vids and how long can they keep their gaze fixed.