Thread: LII vs SLI: What Are The Differences?

TIM
    no clue
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post LII vs SLI: What Are The Differences?

I just want to know what the differences are between those types.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post
    SLI have cat avatars. LII are guys with scraggly beards.

Although there are exceptions. My LII sister doesn't have a beard, and my SLI son, while having a cat, also has a scraggly beard.

LIIs are kids forever. SLI are old when they are born.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Although both descriptors will apply to both types at times, each will normally remain on their respective sides:

LII vs SLI

planner vs observer
    methodological vs reactionary
    idealist vs realist
    naive vs aware
    detached vs interactive
    often blind vs often with tunnel-vision
    hesitant vs avoidant
    doubtful vs convinced
    over-the-horizon vs here-and-now
    consequence vs reward
    research vs practice
    overkill vs sufficient
    perfectionist vs expedient
    solo think vs brainstorm
    adapt information vs adapt thinking
    visionary vs guarded
    strategist vs protectionist

a.k.a. I/O

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

SLI: sends letter bombs due to broken heart
    LII: hacker on the loose due to convictions
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelondeck View Post
    Although both descriptors will apply to both types at times, each will normally remain on their respective sides:

LII vs SLI

planner vs observer
    methodological vs reactionary
    idealist vs realist
    naive vs aware
    detached vs interactive
    often blind vs often with tunnel-vision
    hesitant vs avoidant
    doubtful vs convinced
    over-the-horizon vs here-and-now
    consequence vs reward
    research vs practice
    overkill vs sufficient
    perfectionist vs expedient
    solo think vs brainstorm
    adapt information vs adapt thinking
    visionary vs guarded
    strategist vs protectionist

a.k.a. I/O
    Do you have a list like that for each type or do you just write them on the fly?
    Because I think reuniting them under a thread would be interesting.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flowers and sugar View Post
    Do you have a list like that for each type or do you just write them on the fly? ......
    On the fly.

a.k.a. I/O

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LIIs and SLIs have a benefit relationship (LII benefactor, SLI beneficiary). This relationship can work smoothly or very awkwardly. A good childhood friend of mine happens to be my beneficiary. We get along famously, but hey, what do I know.

I couldn't help but notice the CEO at my previous job, who was also my beneficiary (and who hired me directly) was often visibly intimidated by me. Mind you I have one of the lowliest jobs and could hardly be viewed as menacing. Something as simple as a greeting would leave him stymied. Which always struck me as strange, given he's a really impressive executive. Things got better over time, but not really, because there was a lingering feeling he was trying way too hard to impress me.

Everything revolves around extraverted intuition in this relationship. The CEO announced a merger with a larger company, went through the trouble of lobbying the board and his employees, leading them to the brink with new policy handbooks and access cards, only to renege and pull back at the very last minute.

My benefactor is IEI. A childhood friend of mine, who couldn't be any nearer and dearer to me, at times seemed aloof, like my internal world wasn't of much concern to her. Fast-forward to another IEI at the aforementioned company. She couldn't help but make me question my competence. Every interaction felt like high stakes.

Your family thinks I'm a criminal
    TIM
    BAMF
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

One is less annoying than the other.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some differences in apparent similarities:

Both types can seem lazy/low-energy/work-avoidant. But SLIs seem to me to have different “modes:” a “working” mode and a “relaxed” mode. It seems relatively difficult for them to switch between these states and they may require some sort of ritual to do it. LIIs have a more constant tense energy and don’t mind switching between these states quickly, maybe because they never really throw themselves into either.

Both types can be cynical. LIIs’ cynicism goes a lot deeper in terms of how it affects them. SLIs seem to hold more a view of “well, the world may be dark but I can enjoy myself and find meaning regardless.” Cynical LIIs’ mentality seems to be more along the lines of Ted Kaczynski (probably LSI over LII, but those types are similar in this way). This also seems related to the fact that:

Though both types can be expressively muted, SLIs usually seem to get happier and higher-energy occasionally. LIIs generally have a more consistent outlook and emotional state. LIIs only seem to really get “happy” in terms of their demeanor changing or dropping the “tenseness” or forgetting their concerns when they’re exposed to Fe. At other times they can feel vaguely “content,” but this doesn’t seem to make much difference in terms of their outlook besides motivating them slightly more.

The two are both likely to come off as socially awkward when young. SLIs can outgrow this, but I’ve never seen a male LII of any age who didn’t come off noticeably awkwardly in social situations (women of any type are usually more socially capable, but many LII women also have this problem). Even a couple +65-y/o LIIs I’ve known come off this way.

TIM
    EII-1Ne 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bio dad is SLI, bro is LII.

LII is always thinking. Always. Always thinking about something, if not everything. This is reflected on their expression. Their eyes are often big and round, even if half-closed. They look level, but not relaxed.

SLI is always existing. Becoming more deeply intertwined with their homeostasis. They might look like they aren’t paying attention to anything around them. Might not make direct eye contact, or might close their eyes while speaking to you.

It’s harder to perceive emotional shifts in LIIs than SLIs. You can often see an SLI becoming physically tense in response to becoming upset, but an LII may give no outward sign of distress before having an outburst - thus, their reactions may come off as sudden or sharp.
    Last edited by PinKDiGiT18; 06-24-2021 at 04:00 PM.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

LIIs really enjoy light-hearted Fe banter. SLIs enjoy more serious and somber Fi discussions. That isn't to say LIIs are frilly clouds with no substance to them and SLIs won't like a light-hearted atmosphere (4D Fe IEE is their dual after all)- but Fe vs. Fi valuing is pretty evident I think. SLIs can often times be so serious and genuine they are really socially awkward, a LII will break the ice more by being witty/charming/Fe-ish.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Imo, from the outside: SLIs, like all sensors, have a much "heavier" presence usually, especially if logics is emphasized. LIIs come off less grounded, for example in their bodies. They respond well to emotional expression and lighthearted banter.
    Last edited by WVBRY; 06-25-2021 at 03:06 PM.

TIM
    IEI-Ti FLVE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLIs are better at surviving and LIIs are more abstract.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How would you differentiate between Si-Te vs Ti-Ne? Seems both types are like "parallel types" since they both have value Ne/Si..

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by superflousman View Post
    How would you differentiate between Si-Te vs Ti-Ne? Seems both types are like "parallel types" since they both have value Ne/Si..
    types are normally differentiated by dichotomies, values, functions, intertypes; i.e. what makes up the type.
    the general process of distinguishing is the same between any types, only where some types are closer and some are farther to & from each other; LII & SLI are not similar types. read theory and try to notice the differences in practice. if you already understand your own type this is much easier, as you can be said to have at least a basic understanding of the theory and thus - in principle - basic abilities in type-identification, and because types of other people are also determined through experience from intertype relations.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this page contains detailed answer based on functions
    Souls know their way back home

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emily View Post
    this page contains detailed answer based on functions

This was good thanks. The post above says they are not similar types, but in a way they are. Both are introverted thinkers, and both value Ne/Si unlike LSIs and ILIs.

Professional IEI Identifier on a peaceful hiatus's Avatar
    TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on one hand they are practical but then "they naturally know how to pick clothing that fits and flatters them, have an eye for recognizing and creating beauty in themselves and their environment, and may be natural artists or musicians due to their ability to create harmony."

artistic creativity is the last thing that I would associate with SLI. LII are way more into art, due to Ni as demonstrative function.
    my ideas about socionics:

https://soziotypen.de/thoughts-on-socionics/

the section will be updated ever other month or so.

this is a VI thread with IEI examples

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...-(IEI-edition)

and this is a thread with EIE examples

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...s-EIE-examples

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLIs don't value Fe they are more and blunt and abrasive and to the point. LII can go on this long rant that leads to no where sometimes. They are good at putting things into categories. They value Fe so they tend to watch what they say and how they act more. As an SLI i'm always in my head in some sort of Si Ni loop. Interacting with external environment gets me out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
    SLIs don't value Fe they are more and blunt and abrasive and to the point. LII can go on this long rant that leads to no where sometimes. They are good at putting things into categories. They value Fe so they tend to watch what they say and how they act more. As an SLI i'm always in my head in some sort of Si Ni loop. Interacting with external environment gets me out.
    Ti-Si loop of LII would be different how?

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLIs don't value Fe they are more and blunt and abrasive and to the point.
    it's not connected with Fe, but with a less complex mind to circumvent conflicts in sensory people. so when a sensor refuses to do what is asked, for example, there will be a relatively higher occcurence of ''No. I don't want to do that.'' compared with intuitives, who go around what they don't want in more shrewd manners.

LII can go on this long rant that leads to no where sometimes.
    T leads, being rational, are the most concise. ranty and unstructured logicians are often irrational.

They are good at putting things into categories.
    all logical types have this ability. Ti are more interested than Te, is the difference, which has an influence on practical abilities

They value Fe so they tend to watch what they say and how they act more.
    In Fi valuers' eyes, Fe valuers are more 'unhinged' emotionally and care too little about being understanding, friendly, pleasant, emotionally soft; they are too fond of aggravation and senseless hysteria. Since you are likely Fe valuing, you may find Fi valuers too restrained and perhaps insincere.

As an SLI i'm always in my head
    sounds introverted and/or intuitive.

Si Ni loop
    SLIs focus on Ni is normally minimal; When S is more the mind, N is less. and Ni is the unvalued attitude of the inferior, so it could hypothetically receive the least attention of all functions by SLI, and thus be the real 'inferior' (I don't know if Jung commented on the use of the unvalued attitudes of the functions by the types; he may have thought that the attitudes that are the same as your leading received slightly more attention compared to the opposite attitude). other situations are anomalies.

Interacting with external environment gets me out.
    a sensor rarely needs to 'get out' like this. you could have an intuitive type, rather.

Professional IEI Identifier on a peaceful hiatus's Avatar
    TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Si Ni loop sounds like an MBTI term that I read about years ago. I don't really perceive SLI as abrasive. Usually they are cautious with people as they have Fi as activating function. Usually they never really initiate social interactions.
    my ideas about socionics:

https://soziotypen.de/thoughts-on-socionics/

the section will be updated ever other month or so.

this is a VI thread with IEI examples

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...-(IEI-edition)

and this is a thread with EIE examples

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...s-EIE-examples

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nifl View Post
    it's not connected with Fe, but with a less complex mind to circumvent conflicts in sensory people. so when a sensor refuses to do what is asked, for example, there will be a relatively higher occcurence of ''No. I don't want to do that.'' compared with intuitives, who go around what they don't want in more shrewd manners.
    I don't know what this has to do with Fe.

T leads, being rational, are the most concise. ranty and unstructured logicians are often irrational.
    Not really Ti is like a giant Spaghetti of information that's not concerned with breaking down the concept to a simpler form but rather taking in it's original form.

all logical types have this ability. Ti are more interested than Te, is the difference, which has an influence on practical abilities
    Ti is a categorical function and it's somewhat imposing. Ti isn't really that good objective reasoning as much as Te who is more concerned with efficiency thus Ti users don't really know how to leave out unwanted information they soak in. They have a hard time figuring out which data is objectively true and which data isn't. They aren't that good at bullshit detection hence why you see the majority of the military being LSI, they can be manipulated by others to do their bidding.

In Fi valuers' eyes, Fe valuers are more 'unhinged' emotionally and care too little about being understanding, friendly, pleasant, emotionally soft; they are too fond of aggravation and senseless hysteria. Since you are likely Fe valuing, you may find Fi valuers too restrained and perhaps insincere.
    No Fe users with Fe within their first four function stack find Fi Valuers to be somewhat restrained. I don't value Fe as an SLI and I don't really care if you think I'm not another type.

SLIs focus on Ni is normally minimal; When S is more the mind, N is less. and Ni is the unvalued attitude of the inferior, so it could hypothetically receive the least attention of all functions by SLI, and thus be the real 'inferior' (I don't know if Jung commented on the use of the unvalued attitudes of the functions by the types; he may have thought that the attitudes that are the same as your leading received slightly more attention compared to the opposite attitude). other situations are anomalies.

a sensor rarely needs to 'get out' like this. you could have an intuitive type, rather.
    So you're saying that a sensor is happy staying home for long periods of time and an intuitive isn't? your ability to view objective reality is seriously flawed I highly doubt you are a Te type or someone who values Te.
    Last edited by Amoeba; 04-16-2023 at 03:36 AM.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Amoeba
    So you're saying that a sensor is happy staying home for long periods of time and an intuitive isn't?
    i talked about the need for a sensor to 'get out' of his head by interacting with the external environment; it's rather the opposite, for a sensor. they need a better connection with their imagination, whereas their physical surroundings they're normally well aware of. specifically for Si, it's about going from the evaluation of physical impressions to imaginings about things in the external world (Ne). like imaginings about what new things to try could be interesting; new places to see, new music/films/books, new food, new activities, new people.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Between LII and SLI, I've wondered whether LIIs have more the habit to explain things using analogies - particularly a memorised analogy they refer back to.
    Maybe that can be a Ti method to simplify something complicated for a listener who has weaker Ti.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thistle View Post
    Between LII and SLI, I've wondered whether LIIs have more the habit to explain things using analogies - particularly a memorised analogy they refer back to.
    Maybe that can be a Ti method to simplify something complicated for a listener who has weaker Ti.
    analogy usage can be said to rely mostly on logic (more Ti) & intuition (more Ne), since it's about an imagined situation that's logically comparable. so it should be used as a tool more by LII than SLI

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Amoeba

i talked about the need for a sensor to 'get out' of his head by interacting with the external environment; it's rather the opposite, for a sensor. they need a better connection with their imagination, whereas their physical surroundings they're normally well aware of. specifically for Si, it's about going from the evaluation of physical impressions to imaginings about things in the external world (Ne). like imaginings about what new things to try could be interesting; new places to see, new music/films/books, new food, new activities, new people.
    No I believe even gulenko talked sbout this in his podcast. Si is a comfort seeking fuction . This when an SLI gets too comfortable they need to interact with their physical environment Te to feel better. You're referring to the abrasiveness of Se not Si. objective sensor seekers are less inclined to stay comfortable.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No I believe even gulenko talked sbout this in his podcast. Si is a comfort seeking fuction . This when an SLI gets too comfortable they need to interact with their physical environment Te to feel better. You're referring to the abrasiveness of Se not Si. objective sensor seekers are less inclined to stay comfortable.
    Te is logic & extraverted; so what it covers is, among other things, factual qualities of stuff, which is not limited to the physical. And as Te is an ego function in SLI, it's what is naturally preferred & done much by that type - not as a much needed variety, but as an everyday activity -, whereas weak & valued functions are what, theoretically, should make an individual feel better the most to act within.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Te is logic & extraverted; so what it covers is, among other things, factual qualities of stuff, which is not limited to the physical. And as Te is an ego function in SLI, it's what is naturally preferred & done much by that type - not as a much needed variety, but as an everyday activity -, whereas weak & valued functions are what, theoretically, should make an individual feel better the most to act within.
    You're not considering that SLIs also have Ni and use Ni as the situation arises. If we go by your logic than extraverted feeling is the feel good function for SLI. Fe is not an internal function you dont act within with Fe.