Thread: Are LEGOs Te/Ne?

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Are LEGOs Te/Ne?

I don't know why I was just thinking about this, but I spend a lot of time wondering about information elements and how they impact creativity. I was thinking of what Te creativity looks like and LEGOs sprung to mind. I think they also involve a good amount of Ne. What do y'all think? Are LEGOs (and other similar building block type toys) representative of Te play? If not then why, and what elements do they better represent?

EDIT: It has occurred to me that this question may be prompting different answers from people because I asked it with the underlying assumption that the medium as a whole had to be either Te or Ti. When I first wrote the question I was imagining using a finite number of LEGOs to solve a specific issue. E.g. you want to build a LEGO spaceship, but you only have X parts, and you need to figure out how to accomplish your goal with those parts. That in particular was what I was identifying as Te
    Last edited by AWellArmedCat; 05-14-2021 at 12:43 AM. Reason: My initial question was probably dumb
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

TIM
    IEE 8w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this is a good analogy for it.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I see Ne as something you can not really tangibly manipulate. A process that fits a square peg into a round hole. LEGO robot that breaks DRM of ebooks is kind of Ne solution to a Te problem. https://www.businessinsider.com/diy-...13-9?r=US&IR=T <- that stuff is so common for me that I'm amazed people find time to make news about it.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Ti
    when you make own model - Ne
    when by existing draw - Se

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Sol In your mind what makes LEGOs more Ti rather than Te?
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@asd I guess I thought Te was more than just being "useful". Isn't it more generally about logic applied to physical things? In contrast with my understanding of Ti which is that it is more about trying to understand the logic of things in a more abstract space I had imagined Te as being logic sort of "in the environment" with the interest in "usefulness" being a side-effect of the external focus rather than what Te is at its core
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

TIM
    IEE 8w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AWellArmedCat View Post
    @asd I guess I thought Te was more than just being "useful". Isn't it more generally about logic applied to physical things? In contrast with my understanding of Ti which is that it is more about trying to understand the logic of things in a more abstract space I had imagined Te as being logic sort of "in the environment" with the interest in "usefulness" being a side-effect of the external focus rather than what Te is at its core
    it seems people are taking your post in different ways. If the legos are an analogy for building upon a framework I can see how Sol would interpret this as Ti. If it's an analogy for seeing what parts can work where and physical application I can see why this would fit Te Ne.

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Zyan Right that's why I edited my main post. I think I asked a question that was much too broad/unspecific to generate a clear answer one way or the other. I'm still interested in whatever thoughts people have on it either way though lol
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

Designing is more closely related to Ti than to Te. LEGO, even though you construct something in the real world, is dependent on understanding a design, whether one that's made up by the builder, or followed in some instructions. In either case, it's about understanding information in a logical way (the logical relationship between the blocks and the design), which is Ti.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think they are more Fe/Ti really- the instructions for building the sets aren't that hard to figure out- I can do them and I'm a thinking type retard. They are more about little kid creativity and imagination which I think in nature is a Fe thing. "stop watching power rangers and do something serious!"

I put together the carnival set a few months ago and I had so much fun and it didn't hit my Polr once... or if it did, I was having too much fun to care. I <3 Legos- but they can be on the pricier side. They are often way too greedy for what they charge...& u can get similar things in other brands for a lot cheaper. If anything is 'Te' in LEGOs it's probably how they over-charge for the playsets in order to make a dry Te LIE businessman richer lol.

Handler of Choronzon
    TIM
    Te goblin
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ne is probably what you would use to identify what to build.
    If you have two structures far apart and want to build some sort of transportation to connect them, Ne comes into play. It would produce possibilities like planes, cars, spaceships, tanks, portals, caravans, etc. ad infinitum. I think it also wouldn’t care so much about generating options consistent with a theme, which would contrast Ni. Ne may build a hang glider to travel between planets whereas Ni feels it necessary to build a spaceship or portal. Of course, that depends on a theme being present, and it’s just a guess.

For Te vs Ti, I think maybe it has to do with how one proceeds to build the ideas generated. Perhaps Ti strives to create more accurate depictions whereas Te just tries to get a form down. I remember as a kid I would never build something unless I could make it accurate with help from a manual. All my creativity was in how I compiled sets together for play.

Now, as for something like attaching wings to motorcycle to make it fly, I think it depends on the underlying motivation. Which may be:
    Fi - simply likes the idea and doesn’t care if it is accurate or not
    Fe - idk, just to make things more exciting I guess
    Ti - maybe straps on a rocket booster and hydraulics too to make it more believable
    Te - wanted to build a plane but didn’t have enough parts, so made a compromise
    Ni - idk these guys are weird
    Ne - wants to zoom
    Se - simply aesthetics
    Si - idk these guys are also pretty weird