Thread: Which type is more likely to take criticism personally?

TIM
    SLI 9w8 sp/so
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Which type is more likely to take criticism personally?

Do you think there is a connection between types and people being bad at taking criticism? By "bad at taking criticism" I mean those people who think they are being hated or disliked as a person if someone gives them criticism (even constructive criticism, not really something dramatic or negative).

TIM
    EII-1Ne 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Silei View Post
    Do you think there is a connection between types and people being bad at taking criticism? By "bad at taking criticism" I mean those people who think they are being hated or disliked as a person if someone gives them criticism (even constructive criticism, not really something dramatic or negative).
    It sounds like an Fi ego thing...we internalize the emotional implications of any action or statement directed at us. At least I do. Instead of taking the criticism objectively, I tend to think it is saying something about me personally.

TIM
    SLI 9w8 sp/so
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds like an Fi ego thing...we internalize the emotional implications of any action or statement directed at us. At least I do. Instead of taking the criticism objectively, I tend to think it is saying something about me personally.
    I do that too (not sure about my type tho), I think it's kinda immature of me but I really can't help taking everything personally. And I think this is also linked to my inability to give a proper judgment (or criticism) to other people, I tend to water the truth a lot and sometimes I may end up lying (not for serious things though, but for example if a person asks me what I think of their dress, I would never say it doesn't suit them and even if I think it's horrible I'd still say that "it's fine!").

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ethical types, introverted more than extroverted, Fi more personally than Fe, especially unhealthy ethical types...really, probably unhealthy logical types, too...

but it prob depends on what it is... If you hit it where it hurts lol of course everyone doesn’t show they take criticism personally in the same way. Fe types might act more dramatic about being criticized...it’s possible some don't even realize (or admit) they are acting out because they took a criticism personally.
    Last edited by Aster; 05-08-2021 at 08:52 PM.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    EII-1Ne 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do that too (not sure about my type tho), I think it's kinda immature of me but I really can't help taking everything personally. And I think this is also linked to my inability to give a proper judgment (or criticism) to other people, I tend to water the truth a lot and sometimes I may end up lying (not for serious things though, but for example if a person asks me what I think of their dress, I would never say it doesn't suit them and even if I think it's horrible I'd still say that "it's fine!").
    I do the exact same thing. I think it’s a weak Ti thing: I usually don’t feel confident in arguments because I always feel like there’s something I have missed in my reasoning. When asked for an opinion unexpectedly, I often find myself feigning agreement with the asker even if it’s not what I think and regret doing so immediately - I just don’t want to offend people by going against something that could potentially be a sensitive subject for them.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't care if I'm criticized- but I respect/listen to it more seriously if the person is indifferent to me or likes some things about me, or if there is obviously some sort of mutual respect. Often times when somebody is being criticized- it's precisely *because* they are being hated and disliked by the criticizer lol (of course this can be covered up with 'I'm only being a professional' or being a therapist "sjw" or other faux-concern stuff.) If the person isn't entirely being a narcisisstically hateful cunt or if I don't think they are being misguided by the Idea of Karen then I am more likely to seriously listen to it.

Also the same types of people I don't get along with- tend to misunderstand me and make the same un-true criticisms of me so I tend to fight that more combatively- but people who have felt more or less 'on my side' - have all said pretty similar things, so I respect them more and take it more seriously. I also accept criticism a lot better if it's clearly not just a projection lol.

It mostly depends on a person's hidden agenda behind the criticism that my Ni always sees lol. If they have a good point, I take it into consideration- if they are just hateful & angry & trying to make me feel bad ((or they are on some Te power trip)), I think that's 'low' and petty.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can tolerate constructive criticism. I don't have much taste for what are just pure personal attacks...

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

people tend to take badly a criticism in their weak regions, as are lesser assured there

TIM
    EIE-Ni-H 359
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends on what type of thing it is and the values associated with it to be honest. I have seen delta STs explode over things that I could not care about (someone criticizing their choice in aesthetic tastes or supposedly correct logic) while I tend to blow up if people misunderstand my intent. Being around any person long enough, they all have their quirks.

F types personalize things regarding morality, ethics, character.

T types personalize things regarding logic, competency, efficiency... Criticizing the way they are doing things that they have put a lot of thought and effort in figuring out the "best" way does not bode well.
    Last edited by EIE H; 05-09-2021 at 01:06 PM.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Some Fi types seem to be:"1+1=4 if I feel so".
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BrightDemonSheep96 View Post
    Some Fi types seem to be:"1+1=4 if I feel so".
    That's because they read that equation as "One adult plus one adult equals two adults plus two kids."

They are inventing new operators which incorporate addition PLUS multiplication, all in one.

TIM
    SEI 9w1
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do this too. I used to kinda feel bad about not being able to just say it like it was. For me, since I'm so sensitive I assume everyone else is, and try to water down the things I say sometimes.
    Chronic "grass is always greener" syndrome

TIM
    SEI 9w1
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to take criticism personally when it's about an insecurity. I've had one insecurity throughout my life that I've had people comment on a lot and I always react every defensively. Even if the criticism is from a stranger or somebody who likes me, I just can't see past that. In my mind it's like " why can't people just accept me the way I am and stop trying to change me". And even though it has caused struggles in my life and people are just trying to help by giving me constructive criticism, it just always feels like a personal attack.
    Chronic "grass is always greener" syndrome

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fatgurl View Post
    I tend to take criticism personally when it's about an insecurity. I've had one insecurity throughout my life that I've had people comment on a lot and I always react every defensively. Even if the criticism is from a stranger or somebody who likes me, I just can't see past that. In my mind it's like " why can't people just accept me the way I am and stop trying to change me". And even though it has caused struggles in my life and people are just trying to help by giving me constructive criticism, it just always feels like a personal attack.
    Maybe the insecurity you mention is not something that can be changed. And maybe that's fine. Often when something about a person does not correspond to the image of a "normal" person, people will try to change that even when it is not negative, people will see it as a handicap in life and this tends to make the person feel handicapped in a way.

I'm kind of speaking from my personal experience here. Maybe your experience is different.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Dunno sometimes people mean something and press their misworded conclusions against me. It is hard to accept that. Something like that.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ips tend to be the the most defensive and guard most with which they identify, which includes friends, family, work, beliefs and most of all, ego; any criticism seems to be taken almost as if it's a physical assault. Ejs can also be similarly guarded but not to the same depth of conviction and their defence is usually more of an offence. Eps and Ijs actually have to believe the criticism in order to take it personally; so if they're already down on themselves, they can be quite sensitive (like adding more fuel to an existing fire); also, they don't deal with personal confrontations all that well in real-time so can often be overwhelmed by them.

a.k.a. I/O