Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Why do you prefer your base over your ignoring?

  1. #1
    Stray Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    221
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Why do you prefer your base over your ignoring?

    Some say base is a "hero" function, the function you'd turn to first to help someone in need. The base & ignoring are somewhat inverses of one another, maybe even oppositional. In your view, why do you prefer your base over your ignoring? What makes your base so awesome for you?

    For me, Se is my way of quickly making things happen or simply just to get things moving faster. Si is a beast for the internal state, but too slow & careful for me. I wouldn't be much help focusing on anybody's intern state.

  2. #2
    Uncle Ave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,931
    Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    It's not a question of preference, it is just the way your psyche is structured.
    What good is a book that does not even transport us beyond all books?

    ~Nietzsche

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    13,047
    Mentioned
    1199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    it's not what you may choose
    in your perception to deal with valued regions is more pleasant
    Types examples: video bloggers, actors

  4. #4
    Stray Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    221
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ave View Post
    It's not a question of preference, it is just the way your psyche is structured.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    it's not what you may choose
    in your perception to deal with valued regions is more pleasant
    Yeah but that's acting on auto pilot. The point is to be more deliberate in how & why you do things. Sort of like having both & intimate & accurate knowledge of the self.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    TIM
    SEI bitch
    Posts
    648
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It’s not a preference. This is how I’m wired.

    Tbh I prefer Se or Ne any day of the week. Si is boring, tedious, and energy-sucking.

  6. #6
    Uncle Ave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,931
    Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stray Cat View Post
    Yeah but that's acting on auto pilot. The point is to be more deliberate in how & why you do things. Sort of like having both & intimate & accurate knowledge of the self.
    A few things here.

    Type cannot be changed and is a kind of auto-pilot. However, certain things can be improved and knowing your type helps in the personal growth process imo. For personal growth, there is an article by Gulenko on his website (can't find it now since their search feature only seems to recognize Russian) about depression and how it relates to the ignoring function. A person has a lot of information in their ignoring function but not a alot of energy, therefore one knows what to do about it but usually doesn't do it. For example, EIE has a good idea of what makes relations work (Fi) but has a hard time with their actual relations with others. The message of the article was that trying to change oneself via the ignoring can actually lead to depression because one is let down with oneself. Gulenko says it's better to focus on the role, for example an EIE focusing on what needs to be done in work matters (Te) would represent a better process of growth since the person is more able to implement the information concerning one's role.

    That's just Gulenko's pov, but I thought it was interesting and the point you are bringing up made me think of that. I think knowing typology should help in the process of self-growth, that's kinda the point, so I don't want to be misunderstood as saying that type-related knowledge is not worth using in self-growth because it is.

    Also when you refer to "accurate knowledge of the self" this makes me think of GI Gurdjieff, since he spoke in those terms, but I'm pretty sure the "self" to him was different from what we call type. Most people won't follow the concepts of Gurdjieff anyways, doesn't mean they can't grow as people.
    What good is a book that does not even transport us beyond all books?

    ~Nietzsche

  7. #7
    Stray Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    221
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ave View Post
    A few things here.

    Type cannot be changed and is a kind of auto-pilot. However, certain things can be improved and knowing your type helps in the personal growth process imo. For personal growth, there is an article by Gulenko on his website (can't find it now since their search feature only seems to recognize Russian) about depression and how it relates to the ignoring function. A person has a lot of information in their ignoring function but not a alot of energy, therefore one knows what to do about it but usually doesn't do it. For example, EIE has a good idea of what makes relations work (Fi) but has a hard time with their actual relations with others. The message of the article was that trying to change oneself via the ignoring can actually lead to depression because one is let down with oneself. Gulenko says it's better to focus on the role, for example an EIE focusing on what needs to be done in work matters (Te) would represent a better process of growth since the person is more able to implement the information concerning one's role.

    That's just Gulenko's pov, but I thought it was interesting and the point you are bringing up made me think of that. I think knowing typology should help in the process of self-growth, that's kinda the point, so I don't want to be misunderstood as saying that type-related knowledge is not worth using in self-growth because it is.

    Also when you refer to "accurate knowledge of the self" this makes me think of GI Gurdjieff, since he spoke in those terms, but I'm pretty sure the "self" to him was different from what we call type. Most people won't follow the concepts of Gurdjieff anyways, doesn't mean they can't grow as people.
    Agree with every word you just uttered, dude. I hadn't disagreed with your original assessment only attempted to open the floor further interpretation. I'm Se. I grasp it, can explain it then give helpful examples. I can also recognize Si, explain it but wouldn't be much help to others. I can, however, suggest people who are more qualified to supply that function instead.

    We're making similar points, just explaining it different. I find the dichotomy between the base & ignoring fascinating, especially the way one is almost forced to choose base out of necessity.

  8. #8
    Stray Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    221
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poptart View Post
    It’s not a preference. This is how I’m wired.

    Tbh I prefer Se or Ne any day of the week. Si is boring, tedious, and energy-sucking.
    I appreciate the humility & honesty but I know tons of Si-valuers who need people just like you. Interesting how, regardless of the way we view ourselves, there are others out there who think we're freaking awesome. Crazy world, huh

  9. #9
    fox spirit flowers and sugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Stairway to Heaven
    TIM
    Sniffing flower type
    Posts
    285
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stray Cat View Post
    Yeah but that's acting on auto pilot. The point is to be more deliberate in how & why you do things. Sort of like having both & intimate & accurate knowledge of the self.
    Is what you want to know how one perceives ignoring vs base and how they concretely act about each domaines?

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    11,887
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't really prefer it. I just - go in these long Ni rants so naturally. Looking back at myself it's like 'goddamnit you Ni ego you'

  11. #11
    CR400AF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Earth
    TIM
    LII 5w6-1w9-2w1
    Posts
    90
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This is simply because I resembles a specific type of information metabolism.

  12. #12
    CR400AF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Earth
    TIM
    LII 5w6-1w9-2w1
    Posts
    90
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ave View Post
    For personal growth, there is an article by Gulenko on his website (can't find it now since their search feature only seems to recognize Russian) about depression and how it relates to the ignoring function.
    Профилактика депрессий - рекомендации соционики, как типам избежать депрессивных состояний (socioniks.net)

    Probably this one?

  13. #13
    Uncle Ave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,931
    Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    What good is a book that does not even transport us beyond all books?

    ~Nietzsche

  14. #14
    Uncle Ave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,931
    Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stray Cat View Post
    Agree with every word you just uttered, dude. I hadn't disagreed with your original assessment only attempted to open the floor further interpretation. I'm Se. I grasp it, can explain it then give helpful examples. I can also recognize Si, explain it but wouldn't be much help to others. I can, however, suggest people who are more qualified to supply that function instead.

    We're making similar points, just explaining it different. I find the dichotomy between the base & ignoring fascinating, especially the way one is almost forced to choose base out of necessity.
    No worries, I got what you were getting at as well with your original point, I felt it was valid, but that I just needed to reframe and build upon it a little haha.
    What good is a book that does not even transport us beyond all books?

    ~Nietzsche

  15. #15
    Stray Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    221
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flowers and sugar View Post
    Is what you want to know how one perceives ignoring vs base and how they concretely act about each domaines?
    Partially. I was asking why one prefers base over ignoring, in specific detail. Of course we're wired a certain way but I was curious about the how's, why's & personal accounts if people wanted to share.

    Your post is relevant. You're free to explain how you concretely deal with your base/ignoring dichotomy. Sounds awesome

  16. #16
    Disrupting your illusory reality Megatrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Your mind
    TIM
    ENFP
    Posts
    563
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    In my case, I need to see change and results in the external world to feel satisfied with my life, so all extroverted functions are given privilege, even though I try to "use" Ti/Te with a lot of concentration but it is more as a way to solve what intuition alone can't do, like organizing my life and defining what I want to accomplish
    self-discovery
    self-development
    optimism
    relationships
    communication
    high ideals

  17. #17
    Looking for the gold mine one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Home
    TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Posts
    1,148
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ne hurts, Ni makes me fulfilled
    R

  18. #18
    lkdhf qkb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Inferno 13th floor
    TIM
    IEE-Ne1w9/6w5/4 SX
    Posts
    698
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    My brain can't absorb or process Ni- very well. Ne- VS Ni- is like a supersonic jet VS riding a slug. Ne- gets me where I want faster.
    I rarely feel alone. I rarely talk to anyone, yet in my head i have the most amazing, the most fantastic discussions with the people in my life. In real life, what most people talk about is several orders of magnitude lesser than their inner experiences. Most people never reveal the singularity of their subjective experience.
    Maybe I should learn to explore other people's consciousness. Maybe I should aim for a real space between me and others. Instead of cultivating monologues and fantasies. It's hard, but the alternative to this seems to be madness. ~ lkdhf qkb

    Life is soup. I'm fork


  19. #19
    scientist donkey BrightDemonSheep96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    On a toilet, right above you
    TIM
    ILE-H LEVF/omnibeta
    Posts
    6,575
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    It is better to stay away from Nihilism and go for Necrosis instead.

    Ok, I kind of process past sort of trendy stuff but my mind wants to process future timeless trajectories on paper as definite things with inventable procedures. "I can't begin to deconstruct my formulaic answer" has never been on my mind - I tend to look for the tiniest exception just for the heck of it - and it can give new novel solutions.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

     

    Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

  20. #20
    fox spirit flowers and sugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Stairway to Heaven
    TIM
    Sniffing flower type
    Posts
    285
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stray Cat View Post
    Partially. I was asking why one prefers base over ignoring, in specific detail. Of course we're wired a certain way but I was curious about the how's, why's & personal accounts if people wanted to share.

    Your post is relevant. You're free to explain how you concretely deal with your base/ignoring dichotomy. Sounds awesome
    hm, okay. I wasn't sure how to think about what you wrote, so thanks.

    The way I see Ne is that it holds infinite potential, but you gotta stop at some point or you will go nowhere... or a little everywhere. It's more of a search for a path that leads me to brainstorm or seek ideas. I feel like I'm going in a straight line, but looking back, it's twists and turns. I know I have better Ne than I should, C subtype sounds like a good explaination to me. I'm also a 9, so seeking all perceptions in a quest for peace is a big thing for me. Is it working? Not always, lol.
    Sometimes tho I get stuck in too many possibilities, there's so many paths with about equal advantages and disadvantages that I don't know where to go. None strike me as more practical or more usefull, while I don't know if I want any option. I do better when "stuck" on a path to carry it out than pick one.
    I also think about Ne that it's not because you can that you should, tho it can be applied easily to all functions. Ne stuff is more of a mean to an end, I used to ask people for their favorite color so I'd brainstorm an idea for a drawing. Well, brainstorm, write down a list of words until one inspired me.
    At the same time as I see the importance of many ideas and possibilities, because life doesn't always go how you want it to, I prefer to commit to something and adjust later.
    I don't like people telling me I have creative or innovative ideas, it's not the point, I'm going somewhere with this. I can talk wide about a topic, and all nuances are aimed to redirect to the essence. Doesn't always work, lol.
    I drop a path when it leads nowhere, or when the obstacles aren't worth what's behind them; I mourn the path. I don't like very much jumping between ideas and going over a bunch fast, I'm a slow thinker and I like diving in one topic at a time.
    Slow thinker... I mean, slow, end of line, lol.
    I do have a fast mode too, but it's more in doing things.

  21. #21
    Stray Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    221
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flowers and sugar View Post
    hm, okay. I wasn't sure how to think about what you wrote, so thanks.

    The way I see Ne is that it holds infinite potential, but you gotta stop at some point or you will go nowhere... or a little everywhere. It's more of a search for a path that leads me to brainstorm or seek ideas. I feel like I'm going in a straight line, but looking back, it's twists and turns. I know I have better Ne than I should, C subtype sounds like a good explaination to me. I'm also a 9, so seeking all perceptions in a quest for peace is a big thing for me. Is it working? Not always, lol.
    Sometimes tho I get stuck in too many possibilities, there's so many paths with about equal advantages and disadvantages that I don't know where to go. None strike me as more practical or more usefull, while I don't know if I want any option. I do better when "stuck" on a path to carry it out than pick one.
    I also think about Ne that it's not because you can that you should, tho it can be applied easily to all functions. Ne stuff is more of a mean to an end, I used to ask people for their favorite color so I'd brainstorm an idea for a drawing. Well, brainstorm, write down a list of words until one inspired me.
    At the same time as I see the importance of many ideas and possibilities, because life doesn't always go how you want it to, I prefer to commit to something and adjust later.
    I don't like people telling me I have creative or innovative ideas, it's not the point, I'm going somewhere with this. I can talk wide about a topic, and all nuances are aimed to redirect to the essence. Doesn't always work, lol.
    I drop a path when it leads nowhere, or when the obstacles aren't worth what's behind them; I mourn the path. I don't like very much jumping between ideas and going over a bunch fast, I'm a slow thinker and I like diving in one topic at a time.
    Slow thinker... I mean, slow, end of line, lol.
    I do have a fast mode too, but it's more in doing things.
    Helpful stuff.

    Is Ne your base or ignoring?

  22. #22
    fox spirit flowers and sugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Stairway to Heaven
    TIM
    Sniffing flower type
    Posts
    285
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stray Cat View Post
    Helpful stuff.

    Is Ne your base or ignoring?
    Ignoring.

  23. #23

    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    TIM
    LSE 9w8 sp/sx
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I guess it's just because it's easy to get things done with Te and I'm not stuck on more theoretical concepts as much.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •