Thread: Deltas did you go through a "Beta" phase as a teen?

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Deltas did you go through a "Beta" phase as a teen?

Well, didja?

My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's a "Beta" phase?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doubt it, but it depends on how would you define beta phase.
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha, i knew someone was going to ask that.

Okay, so, looking back I was quite a very different-seeming person as a teen than at any other time in my life. I got into Drama, and even poetry for a time (even though I hardly care for it now). Listened to music that I will never listen to again. I was all into symbolism and hidden meanings in everything.

Stuff like that.
    My life's work (haha):

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah not really, obviously I was a different person back then but not in that way.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari

TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe I was just influenced by the people I hung out with...
    My life's work (haha):

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just being a teenager imo, our tastes are usually very influenced by the outside at that time either in a positive or a negative way, either as a result of rebellion or as a result of trying to fit in.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ssmall View Post
    Just being a teenager imo, our tastes are usually very influenced by the outside at that time either in a positive or a negative way, either as a result of rebellion or as a result of trying to fit in.
    well said.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

heh this question is interesting to me bc i've thought to myself before that i almost certainly would have typed myself beta if i had stumbled across socionics as a teenager. i'm not sure if i could explain exactly why without going into stereotypes, but as a general overview it had to do with rebelliousness and seeing every event as some kind of epic unfolding. maybe its taking the classification of beta as the "teenage" quadra too literally, but i've wondered if my experience was typical or not.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a teenager I flirted with a cheap signalling, extreme ideologies, and social scenes.

Whether those are explicitly Beta behaviours is certainly up for debate; the point is that they are markedly different from my current lifestyle and views.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cant say that I've experienced anything like what people are describing as beta behavior as a teenager.

I've always been more adult-like in my behavior than my peers. Though it could have been the influence of a somewhat controlling ESE (I think) mom. And my delta NF or E6-driven wish to please. But I can't say i've ever really had the inclination to be wild 'n crazy. It wouldn't have even crossed my mind really to be like that, nor would i derive any sort of pleasure from acting that way or being in an environment like that.

That said, i've heard it said that the Beta mentality is the "teenager" mentality. Whereas the Delta mentality is the "elderly" mentality. My point is that any teenager might go through a phase of beta-like mentality. The betas probably never really get out of that mentality, or something like that.

TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    But I can't say i've ever really had the inclination to be wild 'n crazy. It wouldn't have even crossed my mind really to be like that, nor would i derive any sort of pleasure from acting that way or being in an environment like that.
    Me neither, really. I think there were times as a teen when I was more like a "Beta wannabe" than an actual Beta. I surrounded myself with "Drama geeks," without ever really feeling in touch with it all. It was more like being on the outside looking in, and becoming intrigued or even amused by what I saw.

That said, i've heard it said that the Beta mentality is the "teenager" mentality. Whereas the Delta mentality is the "elderly" mentality. My point is that any teenager might go through a phase of beta-like mentality. The betas probably never really get out of that mentality, or something like that.
    Maybe. As a child, I was a very "old soul." And again as a young adult. The only time I've ever felt much like being youthful and wishing I could be a child again, was for a couple years in high school. Maybe it'll happen to me again at some point in my future. But otherwise, yeah, "elderly" does pretty well describe my own mentality.
    My life's work (haha):

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pianosinger View Post
    Me neither, really. I think there were times as a teen when I was more like a "Beta wannabe" than an actual Beta. I surrounded myself with "Drama geeks," without ever really feeling in touch with it all. It was more like being on the outside looking in, and becoming intrigued or even amused by what I saw.

Maybe. As a child, I was a very "old soul." And again as a young adult. The only time I've ever felt much like being youthful and wishing I could be a child again, was for a couple years in high school. Maybe it'll happen to me again at some point in my future. But otherwise, yeah, "elderly" does pretty well describe my own mentality.
    Well i think there is sort of a paradox in this (and i think it also holds true for the mentality of most elderly people) that Deltas think in an elderly way but do sort of try to be young at heart throughout all of life.

I sort of recognized this when i was on a blind date with a guy i typed as SEI, who kept complaining that he's so old and how his body is starting to fall apart, etc. (he's only 35 or something like that ). Meanwhile, I'm sitting there feeling like i'm finally ready to pursue my youth.

And I think this makes sense because alphas with their "infant/child" mentality all they want to do is "grow up". Deltas with their "elderly" mentality want to get back to their youth and be young again.

but yeah i hear what you're saying about the drama club and beta-ness. I wasn't referring to your "beta experience" as much as what some of the others mentioned. I think what you experienced was just exploring where your interests and talents may lie, and it was really your IEE-ness foraging into the wide world of possible passions to discover what fits you. I relate to this very much (not just as a teenager but as an adult) in that I dont really know if i like something until i actually experience it. You feeling like an outsider looking in may just be a reflection of the fact that either probably there were a lot of betas there (since they gravitate to that sort of stuff) so you felt a sort of disconnect, or because drama just wasnt "you". It may have seemed fun for a while but nothing that you could ultimately call a passion of yours.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's all relative to the use of quadras as labels for some archetypes or others. Some people say they went through a Beta phase. I happen to have Beta moods. *shrug*

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of what people associate with Betas isn't even universally Beta.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Certainly not. I even waited 'til I was 18 before becoming somewhat rebellious.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, I think you might need to define what you mean by "Beta phase"
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was a stereotypical delinquent for a few years, if that's what you're asking. I thought this pointed to SLI, rather than Beta. Although it could be a little over the top sometimes, I guess. I think I watched too much Robocop and Goodfellas actually. That's my reasoning. There was a lot people I knew back then though that I would describe as "Beta", but I still felt out of place in parties or group "vibe". I was still off to the side.

edit: OK, if Deltas are old souls, maybe I belong somewhere else. No offense, but that's definitely not me. And I'm probably not Beta either.
    Last edited by stray; 12-18-2010 at 02:29 AM.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by straytk View Post
    I was a stereotypical delinquent for a few years, if that's what you're asking. I thought this pointed to SLI, rather than Beta. Although it could be a little over the top sometimes, I guess. I think I watched too much Robocop and Goodfellas actually. That's my reasoning. There was a lot people I knew back then though that I would describe as "Beta", but I still felt out of place in parties or group "vibe". I was still off to the side.

edit: OK, if Deltas are old souls, maybe I belong somewhere else. No offense, but that's definitely not me. And I'm probably not Beta either.
    I think you're taking things a little too literally. What you describe above doesn't go against SLI at all. re: old souls, like i mentioned before, ime alphas actually act more "old" than deltas do. It's the mentality in terms of like betas wanting to be "rebellious" so they're the teenagers of the socion, gammas wanting to advance and prosper so they're the "adults" of the socion, and deltas just want to be left alone, maintain peace, and make a comfortable positive self-sufficient life for themselves and those they care about, hence "elderly". Not really sure how to describe the alphas--i guess they just want to goof around so they're the "kids"

Again very loose definitions here.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I was thinking there was a little alpha and delta in me. Both the goofing and the chill out "aesthetic" both get old, if you know what I mean. Sometimes I'm dying for childish fun (even if I'm not the most outgoing participant), but at times I need to get away too. I don't like it when I want to discuss something serious, and someone throws a pie in my face (even if it's a metaphorical pie ). Perhaps it's a preference for Si and Fi, vs Si and Fe.

TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I was thinking there was a little alpha and delta in me. Both the goofing and the chill out "aesthetic" both get old, if you know what I mean. Sometimes I'm dying for childish fun (even if I'm not the most outgoing participant), but at times I need to get away too. I don't like it when I want to discuss something serious, and someone throws a pie in my face (even if it's a metaphorical pie ). Perhaps it's a preference for Si and Fi, vs Si and Fe.
    to this. Good way of putting it. Love the pie metaphor especially
    My life's work (haha):

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like it when I want to discuss something serious, and someone throws a pie in my face (even if it's a metaphorical pie ).
    Does anyone like that?
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryene Astraelis View Post
    Does anyone like that?
    I think I know Alpha SFs who prefer more clowning around and have ridiculed some serious point made and it gets offensive at times. I don't think I know any ENTps (maybe one). Except on the net. Some are very cool, and not devoid of seriousness, but they do kind of have a rep for twisting things and being trolls.

edit: BTW, I think my dad is ESFj, and I love him to death, and even he takes on a semi ENTp like style at times too.
    Last edited by stray; 12-19-2010 at 02:28 PM.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Does anyone like that?
    my first reaction when i read this was, yeah, of course nobody likes this. but then i thought of times i was stressed and thinking myself into a black hole of negativity and for someone to not take me as seriously as i was taking myself was exactly what i needed. but it depends a lot on context...for someone to know im trying to be serious and simply not give a shit and try to change the atmosphere to a humorous one pisses me off. i think the second example is probably universal, though...but i wonder what a merry type would say.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I know Alpha SFs who prefer more clowning around and have ridiculed some serious point made and it gets offensive at times. I don't think I know any ENTps (maybe one). Except on the net. Some are very cool, and not devoid of seriousness, but they do kind of have a rep for twisting things and being trolls.

edit: BTW, I think my dad is ESFj, and I love him to death, and even he takes on a semi ENTp like style at times too.
    My ESE mother does this as well. I don't know whether she would appreciate it being done to her, though, and that is what I was referring to.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My ESE mother does this as well. I don't know whether she would appreciate it being done to her, though, and that is what I was referring to.
    Oh OK, I see what you mean. Well, if it came down to it - like if I played their game and did a tit for tat "pie in the face" kind of thing ... then they seem to brush it off better. This goes without mentioning how out of place I feel for doing it back at times.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

possibly. I wore really strange fashion that I obsessed over. I carefully crafted "my image." I went to a goth club, even though I didn't have that style. But my friends and I would pretend when we'd go, so the kids would think we always dressed that way. I found it kinda funny.

I'd also draw attention to the mean teachers (the ones who'd make kids cry), and would do so in a way that they couldn't say I was doing anything wrong, but just to call attention to them being so mean (and I'd do so in front of the whole class, making everyone laugh, and showing the teacher why they were wrong).

However, I wasn't into cliques (Betas are more into that), and sorta floated between several social circles (popular kids, band geeks, alternative kids, church kids, cheerleaders), so that I wouldn't have any pressure on me to conform.

I'm completely different now, but I'd say from the outside I probably looked more like an INFp or possibly an ESTp at various moments in time.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'd say in my early twenties I was 'Beta' if you mean by doing lots of dodgy, grey area of the law type of stuff.

Personally I just thought we were boys with too many beers on our hands.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OP: I understand what you're getting at, but I also agree with Jxrtes. Those things may be stereotypically Beta, but they aren't exclusively Beta.

As for my high school years...hoy. It's a wonder anyone put up with me. I was bouncy on the outside, but cold and tough on the inside. I was definitely in an emo phase (life being what it had been). Most of my poetry came out of that time, as I was in a Creative Writing class in 9th grade. The group I was in joked dirty and threw insults. I was the "mature" one, in my own estimation if nothing else. I was somewhat of a bully, lashing out physically if certain male friends annoyed me. My best friend was quite whipped, and I liked it that way. I later acquired another male friend who willingly became my "pet". He was overly sensitive, and I treated him rather poorly sometimes. It was fun, though, being in the "feared leader" position. The arguments I got into over those years tended to involve someone crossing a "line" and displaying what I considered to be unacceptable behavior. The other involved a friend treating one of my good friends poorly. I think she was the only person I exploded at in-person - twice, at that, and over the same problem (she was treating my friend like crap). Also the only times I remember telling someone to STFU. So...yeah.
    Johari/Nohari

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't call it a beta phase, because I was still very much an EII. Beta would have better image management, while I was naive and unsophisticated somewhat. But yeah I have dealt with self harm, suicidal ideation, relentless and sometimes really scary emotional pain, and suicide attempt as a teenager. I guess you could call it beta, superficially.