Thread: i want a DSLR camera or something. help.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb i want a DSLR camera or something. help.

*PLEASE DO NOT TELL ME TO GET A CELLPHONE*

i need to replace my old potato digital camera from a thread ten years ago. basically want a decent but not crazy-pro modern quality digital camera. i'd like good quality dark pictures since i live in dankness, and i'd like to be able to do shit like time lapse my cat grass growing if possible.

i really don't know enough about cameras to know what i'm looking for, anyone have a suggestion? if possible, in the $200-$300 range, but if it's a "you really could get a lot more with another $100-$200, feel free to suggest something a bit more too, i just don't want to go to much higher than that.

and preemptively thank you for not telling me to just get a cellphone .

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

https://www.consumerreports.org/poin...r-300-dollars/

https://www.techradar.com/news/best-cheap-camera

I bought this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...s_digital.html

and I also bought this: iPhone X. Which cost about the same as the Canon when I bought it new. It's a lot cheaper now.

The Canon has twice as many pixels as the iPhone and has an optical zoom and you can buy interchangeable lenses and can take movies and time exposures.
    The iPhone can take movies with sound and is absolutely great in low light and with human faces. It can also focus closer than the Canon, and everything is in focus (it has tremendous depth of field), which is not true of the Canon. I feel that the iPhone has the Canon beat for color rendition and focus and certainly convenience, but the Canon has the iPhone beat in terms of picture resolution and really long time exposures.

I can also take pictures through a telescope or a microscope with the iPhone and its tiny lens, and I can't do that with the Canon and its large lens. Also, the iPhone fits in my pocket, while the Canon does not.

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blegh View Post
    *PLEASE DO NOT TELL ME TO GET A CELLPHONE*

i need to replace my old potato digital camera from a thread ten years ago. basically want a decent but not crazy-pro modern quality digital camera. i'd like good quality dark pictures since i live in dankness, and i'd like to be able to do shit like time lapse my cat grass growing if possible.

i really don't know enough about cameras to know what i'm looking for, anyone have a suggestion? if possible, in the $200-$300 range, but if it's a "you really could get a lot more with another $100-$200, feel free to suggest something a bit more too, i just don't want to go to much higher than that.

and preemptively thank you for not telling me to just get a cellphone .
    You can probably find one of these Canon EOS Rebel T5 for 350$, it does everything you want, plus you can add quality second hand cannon lenses later on after you figured out how to use it properly.

I own 2 Pentax DSLRs and a whole cabinet full of very very very high quality film era full frame lenses, because they are by far superior to new crop ones ^^' and Pentax DSLRs are backwards compatible with ALL of them. I always check pentaxforums be4 buying a new sexy lens.. hehe

I also own a bunch of weather sealed lenses, mainly because I do outdoor nature photography and the cameras are weather sealed as well.

So the crop sensor K-5 + WR lenses for outdoor dirty nature stuff and the full frame quality stuff plus my K-1 otherwise:

The K-1 is expensive tho and modern full frame lenses are even more expensive :S.. another reason I use the old FF lenses.

IF I were to recommend cameras to a new photographer with a good budget, imo go Fujifilm mirrorless.. Fujifilm X-T4 or the cheaper Fujifilm X-S10
    Last edited by SGF; 04-20-2021 at 06:11 AM.

TIM
    SLI 5w6
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a GE x600 which isn't too bad. But I would browse Facebook Marketplace to see what deals you might find.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blegh View Post
    i'd like good quality dark pictures since i live in dankness
    Try a tripod and longer exposure.

> i really don't know enough about cameras

It's better to ask at specialized places.

> in the $200-$300 range

DSLR + good or specialized optics may need much more.

Hey man I've got exactly what you need
    Follow me

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kalinoche buenanoche View Post
    Hey man I've got exactly what you need
    Follow me
    Liked and Subscribed!