TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking 初めまして!

Hello everyone!

I've been a lurker here for awhile now, but I finally decided to just make an account since I feel I have more of a handle on the structure of Socionics at this point. I'm another ex-MBTIer since it felt like MBTI really didn't have any new insights to offer me and I kept reading about so many interesting Socionics ideas! One of the biggest reasons I left MBTI is it's absolutely trash treatment of sensors. In particular there seems to be a total lack of understanding in MBTI when it comes to the Si element/aspect.

Anyways though, I'm an IEI-Fe guy living in Japan as an ESL teacher. I got into personality typing when I was pretty young cause I come from a really big family of which I am the oldest of my generation (8 people in my house alone and cousins all lived within a few minutes drive) and it helped me to understand everybody. I hope that I can contribute a lot to the forum when it comes to group dynamics since that's what I have a lot of experience observing. I'm still getting used to Socionics though so you'll have to forgive any terminological mistakes or misunderstandings I may have carried over from MBTI.

Feel free to ask whatever you like (DMs are fine too, I think I should have them set to open). I've been a teacher of various subjects to various groups since graduating high school so I love interesting questions!

~AWellArmedCat

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Welcome

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

@sbbds
    the last message of one IEI from Japan
    she has achieved an enlightment and I've lost my otaku

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How long have you been teaching ESL? How do you like your job? Do you plan on returning to your native country to live, staying in Japan, or going somewhere else?

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome... to this place of madness and cosmic horror..

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@FreelancePoliceman I've been teaching ESL in Japan since August 2019 and I've been stuck here since the pandemic started lol I love my job though and I thoroughly enjoy living here so it's not so bad. It'd just be nice to visit home again and travel the rest of East Asia. Because of the job I have there's a maximum of five years that I can stay here for, though if I found a different job after that then I could continue living here assuming visa stuff was all good. Currently my contract is until August 2022, but I have the opportunity to renew it every year up to that five-year limit. Right now the plan is to return to the US when I'm done here, but I'm in a pretty flexible position, so it'd be really easy to just on a whim decide not to do that
    Last edited by AWellArmedCat; 04-15-2021 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Added tag because even though I used the "reply" function it didn't seem to show up that way for some reason

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@shotgunfingers It's that bad, is it? ^^;

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AWellArmedCat View Post
    @shotgunfingers It's that bad, is it? ^^;
    The cobwebs have been dusted, the pews set straight. The forum calls to new users... This sprawling asylum, a Mecca of madness and morbidity. I was lord of this place, before the normies and shitposters made it their domain.Maintaining sanity in this tomb is a tenuous proposition, all are teetering on the brink, facing the abyss..

>3
    Last edited by SGF; 04-15-2021 at 07:13 AM.

Subversive Sage(?)
    TIM
    ILI(?) 5w4
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even with an account, I'm still a lurker here myself for the most part

Just wondering, was it a requirement for you to have a degree as well as a TESL certificate for where you're teaching in Japan? Although I have no degree, I took a course for teaching ESL myself the year before, and Japan was one of the places I'd have been very interested in teaching (I'd even been seeing how much I can learn of their language in my spare time). The pandemic hit not long after I finished unfortunately, just as I was weighing up my options and sending out applications, and I was otherwise pretty disappointed with what I got out of trying to apply for online teaching, so I've had to put that on hold until the borders open and I have a better idea of how I'd go about it. In any case, I read somewhere that a degree is typically expected for teaching in a country like Japan, and the places I've looked at for that which are based there seem to confirm that that's the case. So I'd like to know, how did you apply, out of curiosity?

Welcome to the forum, anyway ^^

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Kazaan2397 Well the TESL certificate isn't necessary, but at least a two-year college degree is. What the degree is in doesn't matter at all, they're pretty lax about it as long as you can show you've at least been to college for that amount of time. Japanese ability is also not a requirement. Honestly your willingness to drive a car and openness to a new lifestyle is one of the things they care most about because it means they can put you in a more rural area. They wanna know that they don't have to babysit you basically. At least that's how it is with the program I'm in. I think some others may require TESL or other such things, but I recommend doing JET like I did. It's pretty easy to get into and even if you might not meet a certain requirement I think they're generally willing to overlook some things as long as your app looks good in every other way