Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: On what resources do you base your self-typing?

  1. #1
    flowers and sugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Stairway to Heaven
    TIM
    Sniffing flower type
    Posts
    177
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default On what resources do you base your self-typing?

    I keep running into resources, interpretations, and sometimes they really shift everyone I know to different types.
    That's why I wonder what is the piece(s) you go back to, if there is any?
    What is the thing that makes you say "this is Si" or any function?

    Links are welcome, long ass explainations are also welcome.
    Turn it into art.
    Whatever you want.
    Go wild.

  2. #2
    Alomoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    TIM
    ILI INTp
    Posts
    741
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I use all of the resources given by the socionics wiki and some of the resources given by sociotype.com.

    For why I self type, it is because everyone here disagrees. For how I do it, it is by reinens. I cannot be anything but Gamma by reinen, as I believe myself decisive, and democratic. I cannot be anything but declaring, as I only declare things, and do not do much dialogue. Therefore, I am probably INTp or ENTj. I still don't have any conclusive thing that will show definitively that I am XXXX, however, as far as I understand it, this is impossible.

    The most concrete provable thing I've found is reinens. Basically, you take the descriptions of decisive, aristocratic, democratic, and ask if they fit. If they do, then you are that. If they don't then you are not. Simple. Needs an understanding of reinens, which I believe I have, and a ton of research into the accuracy of this method between two people who would be idents and what that means implication wise.

    My problem is, people post a ton here, and I don't know how they came to that conclusion, so I'll assume phrenology methods. And that's a pseudoscience. I assumed it'd be more of survey crud coming here, but it's more heavy on the phrenology side. I'm not becoming a phrenologist, sorry.

    Ive applied my methods to other people and it "works" but I don't have a good sample size.

  3. #3
    FreelancePoliceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Maizistan
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    2,014
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm pretty much 100% sure I'm Ne ego. It's difficult to explain concretely why any better than a generic description of it will give. Anything that seems "new" or different captures my interest. I tend to "see" many possibilities clearly, and simultaneously, and desire to realize all of them. They've always been a significant part of how I think and see the world. When I was young this impulse was very difficult to control, and I resented any limitations placed on me. I felt an overwhelming longing to realize these visions that's only faded along with my enthusiasm for life シ

    As far as Ti/Fi goes I see either EII or LII descriptions working for me. But from studying how EIIs express themselves and present themselves, I think there's too much difference. LII seems to work, less because it seems particularly accurate and more because every other type seems less so. But I'm open to any alternative typings people suggest.

  4. #4
    DeliMeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    TIM
    IEI-N
    Posts
    240
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If you're up for it, try to look into all the various sources and interpretations you come across and look for the distinct bits of information that are most consistent. If you manage to find a distinct bit of information, then you can put a lot of stock in it and use it to type. For example, if you gather that there is some small characteristic consistent only with Se, and you realize someone demonstrates that characteristic repetitively, then you know they are an Se type. If you come across any minority idea that is contrary to what you have found to be most consistent across all interpretations, then you can conclude the idea is unconventional at best and it is your choice whether you want to consider it or not. However, the catch here is that you could not reliably accumulate enough knowledge immediately to do this and thus would require a tenacious erudition for the typologies in order to attain certitude. I would personally not actually bother to do this as some goal, but enough exposure to various opinions should eventually foster this facility in anyone, provided they are actively sifting through what they come across.

  5. #5
    C-ESI-Se sx/sp ashlesha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    the center of the universe
    Posts
    15,608
    Mentioned
    871 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

    Default

    feeling out my standing among others both with self-typings of forum members and people i've typed in real life. it seems like the part that's relevant to me personally

  6. #6
    ouronis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Posts
    2,022
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    basically I used to just have a rough idea of the consistent cross-sections of all the types and if I considered a secondary type for myself and it felt dissonant, then I wasn't that type

    nowadays it's more of a bumpers in a bowling alley situation where I know enough little edge details to convince myself even if I am open to different type gists

  7. #7
    squark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,752
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It's been a weird twisted journey. I've used a ton of different methods, and been through many rounds of battletyping as well. Reconciling personal view with others view has been bizarre at times. You can simultaneously be getting completely different opinions from different people, and neither of the opposite opinions seems like it's describing you as you know yourself. So, you just start cataloguing what you know for sure, and find the approach that brings them all into one umbrella in the most sensical way.

    Then it becomes. Okay, this is what I know, now what do I do with it? And for me . . . um, I'm not sure I have figured out what I'm supposed to do with this info. Especially when you consider that you've just categorized yourself, and other people quite likely have categorized you in a different way and are relating to you through their categorization rather than your own. So, now what?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    12,901
    Mentioned
    1184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    Jung, Filatova and some other books of popular authors. I trusted more to reasonable basics there.
    Used tests.
    Got opinions of several ones experienced in typing, when those did not knew about my and others' opinions about my type.
    Identified types of people near IRL (VI, tests, common behavior) to understand the typology and to check my possible types by IR effects. It's very useful to use IR theory for this, as you'll not fit with wrong types when used many people.

    It was different data and took several monthes to understand own type with an assurance. I did this in 2003 and never doubted in own type then. I'd did not got a significant interest to Socionics without _good_ fiting of _many_ data to its theory.
    Types examples: video bloggers, actors

  9. #9
    Disrupting your illusory reality Megatrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Your mind
    TIM
    ENFP
    Posts
    547
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    I'm pretty much 100% sure I'm Ne ego. It's difficult to explain concretely why any better than a generic description of it will give. Anything that seems "new" or different captures my interest. I tend to "see" many possibilities clearly, and simultaneously, and desire to realize all of them. They've always been a significant part of how I think and see the world. When I was young this impulse was very difficult to control, and I resented any limitations placed on me. I felt an overwhelming longing to realize these visions that's only faded along with my enthusiasm for life シ

    As far as Ti/Fi goes I see either EII or LII descriptions working for me. But from studying how EIIs express themselves and present themselves, I think there's too much difference. LII seems to work, less because it seems particularly accurate and more because every other type seems less so. But I'm open to any alternative typings people suggest.
    You're ILE then. Don't ask me to explain, just try to see it for yourself.
    self-discovery
    self-development
    optimism
    relationships
    communication
    high ideals

  10. #10
    Disrupting your illusory reality Megatrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Your mind
    TIM
    ENFP
    Posts
    547
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I thought I was a MBTI INFJ. Had met an online identical who self typed as ENFx. Got typed EII, SEI and IEE by some "professionals", but I concluded I was IEE by analyzing dichotomies and how I couldn't really fit any other typing.

    Now I think Socionics is flawed about the types, model A and IR
    But I have experienced what duality is like and my duals (or quasi duals) are all sensors and very different from me.

    I find identicals everywhere and they are typed differently by different people, so it just shows me how useless is this whole typing by common sense
    self-discovery
    self-development
    optimism
    relationships
    communication
    high ideals

  11. #11
    flowers and sugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Stairway to Heaven
    TIM
    Sniffing flower type
    Posts
    177
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Tbh, I like having a lot of different perceptions on this matter.
    Recently, I crossed some type +/- stuff that made me think about what I feel is natural and what I came to believe as normal. Two different worlds.
    Whether or not the categories make sense, the simple comparison between two sides I've found to be rather enlightening.

    All in all, about types, I have a motto: when in doubt, go back to Jung.
    I see Jung as the solid base I can go back to when my head is spinning from so many different visions. Going home, if you will.

  12. #12
    Alomoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    TIM
    ILI INTp
    Posts
    741
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This is a useful thread for me. What a shocker.

  13. #13
    Alomoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    TIM
    ILI INTp
    Posts
    741
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Megatrop View Post
    You're ILE then. Don't ask me to explain, just try to see it for yourself.
    All the best explanations don't exist. Sadly, no explanation is worse than the worst explanation which is no explanation.

    I'll explain. Ti is logical consistency and skill with formulas and navigating them Ti polr is not being good at navigating formulas and such. Ne/Fi is Ti polr. If you are, then how did you masterfully navigate the framework given as such? That should do it.

    Also you relate to LII, but are an Ne ego. By induction you are ENTp/ILE/NeTi

  14. #14
    Disrupting your illusory reality Megatrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Your mind
    TIM
    ENFP
    Posts
    547
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alomoes View Post
    Ne/Fi is Ti polr. If you are, then how did you masterfully navigate the framework given as such? That should do it.
    What do you mean by that?
    self-discovery
    self-development
    optimism
    relationships
    communication
    high ideals

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    TIM
    LII-C
    Posts
    1,568
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    did like 10 tests or so and every single one gave me INTP (MBTI) or LII. I don't think I ever got a different result. type descriptions matched me too, so figuring out my type didn't take long. some functions could be very difficult to figure out by yourself or through tests, like Ni for example.

  16. #16
    flowers and sugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Stairway to Heaven
    TIM
    Sniffing flower type
    Posts
    177
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alive View Post
    did like 10 tests or so and every single one gave me INTP (MBTI) or LII. I don't think I ever got a different result. type descriptions matched me too, so figuring out my type didn't take long. some functions could be very difficult to figure out by yourself or through tests, like Ni for example.
    Nice tests gave you consistant results, not my case.
    Any particular reason you think Ni would difficult to figure out?

  17. #17
    The Ultimate Aeon of Will RaptorWizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Charlottesville Virginia
    TIM
    Ash INTP 5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    331
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I base My self typing of INTP 5w6 so/sx on My mom when she noticed I'm really good at Dario Nardi Designer Theorizer functions called "Expert Classifier", and "Factual Storekeeper", like Me memorizing the whole Pokedex for My Bunny System.

    Bunny/Lugia is an INFP, Father Crow/Ho-Oh/Zarathustra is an INTJ, and some people have said that I'm an ISTP or ENTP, but I type as INTP.

    In my past, I've considered INFP and INTJ for My type too.

    At least as I see it, I'm so random and speculative with adventurous overhaul that that kind of extremity and zoo of whirling balloons and accessory question cards makes Me Ti and Ne.

    Then you may say, what if another INTP 5w6 so/sx like SolitaryWalker was really understanding of emotions (as Spinoza calls the "effects") with His deep understanding of human nature makes that type capable for exuberance too?

    So there you have it, even if Bunny makes Me look like an INFP like She is, I'm really INTP!!

  18. #18
    Alomoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    TIM
    ILI INTp
    Posts
    741
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Megatrop View Post
    What do you mean by that?
    Socionics is something hypothetically someone who is Ti polr should have a degree of trouble navigating. You should compensate by reading all of the descriptions. If you are Te polr, you should have little problem navigating it, but also have a pretty hard time with the descriptions. This is all hypothetical, but backed up on tha wiki.

    Can drop source.

  19. #19
    Disrupting your illusory reality Megatrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Your mind
    TIM
    ENFP
    Posts
    547
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alomoes View Post
    Socionics is something hypothetically someone who is Ti polr should have a degree of trouble navigating. You should compensate by reading all of the descriptions. If you are Te polr, you should have little problem navigating it, but also have a pretty hard time with the descriptions. This is all hypothetical, but backed up on tha wiki.

    Can drop source.
    I have spent a lot of time reading about it and I finally dropped Socionics model A
    self-discovery
    self-development
    optimism
    relationships
    communication
    high ideals

  20. #20
    thehotelambush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    8,271
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    My understanding of the types is based on seeing the IMEs as faculties that compete for the same resources, and the type is the particular imbalance of resources that you are endowed with. This is basically what strengths are, and values determine what your goals are. Dimension and priority are the scales that in practice correspond to strength (plus boldness) and value (plus boldness). This is the simplest and most direct way to type someone that still matches up with reality (unlike say, using the Jungian dichotomies which can be hit or miss).

    https://wholesocionics.blogspot.com/...ence-cube.html

    "What is the thing that makes you say "this is Si" or any function?"

    Here we're getting into very general territory, for that I would simply recommend reading the articles in my signature. The semantics article has a long list of concepts associated with each IME, but there are more conceptual explanations in the agendas article that use the relationships between the IMEs to hone and explain the definitions. (This is not to say that you should not see the IMEs as things in themselves, on the contrary I find that this approach has vastly clarified the unique character of each element.)

  21. #21
    ˚*・༓ ‧͙⁺˚*・༓ ‧͙⁺˚*・༓ ‧͙⁺˚ aster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    TIM
    IEI-N™
    Posts
    1,808
    Mentioned
    405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    lol I see socionics kind of like I do religion. It seems it can be interpreted in different ways and you can be agnostic, follow your own (sometime idiosyncratic perception) or follow some other persons perception half heartedly or devoutly. I’ve most of my life been a fence sitter. I’ve been told this is not a good place to be. Really, the older I get the more I realize I understand from being a fence sitter, but it’s also not a very productive way of living. I mean, if you find yourself at a crossroad, you are eventually going to have to choose a path to get somewhere or really live and understand that path, or you are just going to be gazing down the others, eternally. And that’s all it will be.


    So what I’m saying is, I read a lot and have heard a lot of opinions, and at the end of the day, I feel like I have to decide which path to go down. And that doesn’t mean my path is necessarily right (is there even a right?), and I realize that there are these other paths and maybe they are right to other people, but I have to decide what feels right for me, what I’m most satisfied with, what makes the most sense. So I chose to go with my gulenko typing and definitions. It seems more consistent to stick with one school and make it all work together instead of pulling from this to that. Like a bunch of tangled strings is what it becomes.....And other people are always going to disagree no matter what path you take. But that’s one of the choices you have to make to get somewhere- where you want to be-, even if they think you are going nowhere.
    𝓽𝓾𝓶𝓫𝓵𝓻
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

  22. #22

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    11,777
    Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Physical evidence. If all the details confuse you though, go the other way around and pay attention to generalities again- how the person 'comes off' in a general vibe way- like IEIs are called Lyricst/Romantics for a reason and LSE are called Directors/Administrators for a reason as well. ILIs are "Critics", SEEs are "Politicians" etc. When somebody is their true type they pretty much more or less fit those vague archetypes incredibly naturally via their own persona.

    ((although because of the DCNH thing and subtypes and a person's own individual make-up you are going to get like IEIs that enjoy power and being more of a 'director' themselves and everything. I'm one of those Power Hungry Whore IEIs. Hehe.))

  23. #23
    capricieux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    TIM
    EIE
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    im shocked gulenkos cognitive styles arent more popular. w/ IMEs and dichotomies u have to go thru this awful process of introspection & reflection that completely defeats the purpose of socionics (to avoid confronting the abstract) but w/ cognitive styles all u have to do is write down ur thoughts for 5 mins & compare them w/ some wacky reverse Whorfian fanfic that isnt boring or a total waste of time

  24. #24
    Baqer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    TIM
    ILE-D
    Posts
    48
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I've had no problem typing myself, I'm about as obvious an ILE as possible. With the problem of typing other people though, I've just used the test on sociotype.com, and then figured out through other stuff if it was accurate. The only cases I've changed it was with someone who got ESE and I typed SEI(because of an obvious Te POLR), and a IEE who I typed SEE after realizing they're way more aggressive an IEE should be. While I haven't found anyone who I haven't been able to put in a socionic box, the problem lies more in putting some kind of "real" basis for socionic types than actually typing people. The only reason I'm still here is because of the potential for type to have some physiological, or at least experimentally consistent base. IF socionics could be used in any scientific capacity, it'd be revolutionary, but sadly socionics has mostly had been taken by philosophers instead of psychologists, people arguing over theory with no experimental evidence to be found anywhere.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •