Thread: Test: How Rational Are You?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Test: How Rational Are You?

https://programs.clearerthinking.org..._the_test.html

This is an interesting test - a nice breath of fresh air from the socionics thinking/feeling or business logic dimension. Try to answer honestly - this is not an IQ test. I got Meditator - just slightly above average rationality. Take the test and tell me what you got...

TIM
    SLI 5w6
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another mediator here.

TIM
    ILE-Ti VLEF sx/sp
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I scored much lower than I thought lol.

So apparently lack of future planning makes you irrational. Some of the questions were really dumb. Like the one about "You think you can get the assignment done in a week". Past performance isn't predictive of future performance (this itself is a logical fallacy) and yet the correct answer was the average of the past performances (3 weeks). The firefighter question was aso dumb, I mean, the guy died of asphyxia with like 99% certainty. Way less likely for, say, debris to fall right on his head and kill him, fire to burn him alive or whatever. But somehow second-guessing yourself is a rational thing to do (the answer gave higher scores the more times you second-guessed yourself). Maybe I'm just confusing Socionics rationality with whatever concept of rationality these guys have, but the whole thing seemed pretty flawed to me.
    Many of the questions were meant for research purposes aka data mining lol. The questions asking for values in dollars were meant to figure out how much you value 1 hour of your time. And the repeated questions about receiving money in the far future vs. near future were also trying to figure out the value that money has for you over time (time value of money).

Your quantitative reasoning score: 87.5%
    Your future-based reasoning score: 56.25%
    Your evidence evaluation score: 75%
    Your cognitive awareness score: 56.25%

Detectives are tough cookies. They're often caught up entirely in their immediate pursuits, which they attack with vigor and determination. Detectives are highly adept at seeing through nonsense, whether it be verbal, mathematical, or psychological. They are excellent problem-solvers and dogged seekers of the truth. Approximately 5% of the populace are Detectives.

You are Reflective: You dislike jumping to conclusions quickly. You’re adept at reflecting on your own thoughts. When it looks like your intuitions might be leading you astray, you don’t have a problem overriding them — instead, you take the time to re-evaluate the situation and figure out the wisest course of action.

You are Quantitative: You’re good at working with numbers. Not in a schoolbook way, necessarily — you’re adept at putting this skill to use while solving problems in all manner of real-world situations.

You are Carefree: You tend to live in the moment. You don’t waste a lot of emotional energy fretting about the future. Instead, you focus on getting the most out of life right now.

You are Skeptical: You treat new information and ideas with caution and skepticism. Spurious arguments rarely fool or confuse you, and your beliefs are based on foundations of hard logic. You possess a fine-tuned BS detector.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please: nobody be disappointed in their score - this test does not have a strong cognitive component to it, so it is not an IQ test in any way. I'm not even sure if it has a normal distribution... I simply answered honestly to get results that are as accurate as possible. For instance, wrt the question about paying to get out of an hour of tedious work, I was willing to pay $100. I simply answered honestly. A 'rational' answer is to choose closer to the actual wage rate (i.e., minimum wage) or maybe even nothing, as you are usually paid to work, not paid to get out of it. However, I despise such work, and I answered honestly so I would get an honest typing from the test. I don't see that question (and many others on the test) as a function of IQ in any way...
    Last edited by jason_m; 04-09-2021 at 08:17 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can even think of the application of rationality to drawing conclusions: given the data available, always draw conclusions that are accurate, but be conservative - i.e., don't take huge risks that aren't calculated. i.e., don't simply assume that some conclusion is true without proper knowledge. Also, try to be objective: don't let your feelings or your ego get in the way of drawing the correct conclusion. That is one thing wrong with socionics to me: feelings are supposed to get in the way of drawing accurate conclusions, but one's ego can be just as bad - and it isn't just sympathy that gets in the way; disliking someone, even pure hatred of them, can hamper your objectivity just as much as being overly sympathetic to their causes. Also, issues of self-interest can play a role as well: "I could tell him the truth, but this hurts me in some way, so why should I?" This is one area in which I am quite rational, so consider all of the above when arguing or drawing a conclusion with anyone about anything...

TIM
    HN-SLI-Te
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rationalist

Rationalists are excellent reasoners in all respects. They can cogently evaluate others' reasoning as well as their own whenever they choose to. They can also think fluidly about facts and figures, and they can evaluate and plan for the future with aplomb. They're rarely susceptible to the cognitive foibles that trip up others. When they apply themselves, Rationalists can master most cognitive tasks. Approximately 9% of the populace are Rationalists.

You are Reflective: You dislike jumping to conclusions quickly. You’re adept at reflecting on your own thoughts. When it looks like your intuitions might be leading you astray, you don’t have a problem overriding them — instead, you take the time to re-evaluate the situation and figure out the wisest course of action.
    You are Quantitative: You’re good at working with numbers. Not in a schoolbook way, necessarily — you’re adept at putting this skill to use while solving problems in all manner of real-world situations.
    You are Prepared: You tend to think clearly and comprehensively about the future. This makes you an excellent planner; you’re usually well prepared when you begin a new project, and you’re rarely caught by surprise.
    You are Skeptical: You treat new information and ideas with caution and skepticism. Spurious arguments rarely fool or confuse you, and your beliefs are based on foundations of hard logic. You possess a fine-tuned BS detector.

You racked up 88.89% of the highest possible rationality score!
    You scored better than 99% of past users!

Your quantitative reasoning score: 87.5%
    Your future-based reasoning score: 93.75%
    Your evidence evaluation score: 87.5%
    Your cognitive awareness score: 87.5%

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rationalist

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'm not sure how you're supposed to interpret those "would you trade time for money" questions because the amount of money seems completely arbitrary without knowing market conditions

Unless the answer is zero

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Do you agree to our terms of service and privacy policy?

I see...
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A rich person taking this test would answer much differently than a poor person. So really this must determine your wealth more than anything. Jeff Bezos: "Yeah 30 minutes of my time is basically just taking 3 million dollars away from me, so I'll purchase this machine for 2 million."

The Inventor

Your quantitative reasoning score: 81.25%
    Your future-based reasoning score: 62.5%
    Your evidence evaluation score: 25%
    Your cognitive awareness score: 62.5%

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually wonder about the test. Here is a list of 10 signs you're a highly rational thinker:

https://www.lifehack.org/416701/10-s...tional-thinker

I meet most of the criteria, except for the silly ones like "you like to play chess" (I don't have the time to play) or "you keep a planner" (I don't need one). I meet that criteria very well, but I didn't get a good score on the original test above, so it makes me wonder...