Thread: Personality Typing and Career

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Personality Typing and Career

I think the best career system is Holland's Code.

If you haven't seen it, a sample test is here: https://www.truity.com/test/holland-code-career-test.

I think this gives a nice, clean distribution of career based on one's personality.

The problem: while the test is very good, it considers only one's interest but not one's aptitude.

Case in point: because I enjoy going to art galleries and looking at architecture, if I get a question about whether I would enjoy being an artist or architect, I then put a check mark as an answer.

The problem: while I have an interest in the arts, I am not skilled at painting, drawing, etc.

Case in point: while I have a deep interest in the sciences, I often get careers like physics PhD or astronomer that are interesting but beyond my skill level.

The solution: I think these tests should have an aptitude section included alongside; if you simply measure one's interest but not one's skill, then people are being misled.

Corollaries:

1) tests that only measure aptitude are even more misguided to me, because interest is the absolute key to career; in my case, while I am an excellent writer, I have no interest in the subject.

2) tests like the MBTI that are not based on interest or aptitude are simply bunk.

What do you think?

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based off of this sample test, most of the questions seemed skewed towards business, science, and helping people. The problem with these tests is that there can be no in depth thinking of why you want said career. People can imagine themselves doing something for all the wrong reasons, or they don't understand what the job is like. It is better to figure out what your weak spots are in life and then take one of these tests, research the careers you think you want, and make a pros and cons list for each career. Take a test for interests that gives you a variety of job options, then research them to find out if you could really do it. Aptitude is best found by trying it out or really looking at what others have said about the pros and cons of their job. An example: I could say I like drawing, but could I really take other people's requests all day long and keep up with their deadlines? What was your weak point in school? In your activities? Make a list of it and then make a list of the skills required for the job, then reflect on whether or not you could be good at it and not go insane or bored.

My case in point, the test can't measure everything to an exact point, just make one for interest and then do the extra legwork to research the pros and cons of each career. What you will have for a job is a very important decision, and I just don't think a test can be nuanced enough to give you the right answer.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@jason_m Another thing to consider is how much time you have actually put into learning skills for the arts or sciences. No one will have good skills at something if they haven't tried to actually take the time to learn it. Also ask yourself do you enjoy doing the art or learning about the art? Maybe become a researcher or teacher of the history of art, or for sciences just find exactly what kind of science is best for you as there are many types of sciences and not all of them are so high level. And as for writing do you mean all writing in general or just creative writing? If it isn't all writing then maybe just become a writer for things you are interested in.

If you are in the U.S.: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightWilderness View Post
    @jason_m Another thing to consider is how much time you have actually put into learning skills for the arts or sciences. No one will have good skills at something if they haven't tried to actually take the time to learn it. Also ask yourself do you enjoy doing the art or learning about the art? Maybe become a researcher or teacher of the history of art, or for sciences just find exactly what kind of science is best for you as there are many types of sciences and not all of them are so high level. And as for writing do you mean all writing in general or just creative writing? If it isn't all writing then maybe just become a writer for things you are interested in.

If you are in the U.S.: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/
    I like science and I like sports - especially the golden age of football and the history of baseball. A good idea could be to write about these topics. That would make sense...