Thread: I think I am going insane

TIM
    EII-C 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd View Post
    It happened to me. However, the second time I was at the psychward, they did not force any medication on me but threatened to if I continued to speak up about the perceived poor treatment of the patients.

The first time, I willingly took the antipsychotic meds but other patients had the medicine forced on them.

And if they make you take certain meds and you don't comply, they can hold you indefinitely and have you appear before a judge who may decide to commit you to a mental institution against your will. This was what the nurse told me on my second visit to a psych ward (not the same one as the first one).

fwiwi, I live in Florida which has the Baker Act that not all states have. So your experiences might be specific to where you live. I'm just going by my own experiences.
    The Baker Act says its for 72 hour hold which I am familiar with, it does not talk about forcing of medications. Antipsychotics? What were they for (if you don't mind me asking)?

I am not saying I like it but it's Med School jurisdiction mostly not as much Clinical Psych. Since it involves nurses and Psychiatrists. At least that's what it feels like to me. I do not know how they are trained. I do however keep in mind people with serious mental illness may believe whatever their mind is telling them even to their own detriment. I guess suicide is another extension of same theme.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/courts...0professionals.
    Last edited by asd; 04-01-2021 at 04:40 AM.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It talks about involuntary placement if:

4. All available less restrictive treatment alternatives whichwould offer an opportunity for improvement of his or
    her condition have been judged to be inappropriate.

A drug used as a restraint is a medication
    used to control the person’s behavior or to
    restrict his or her freedom of movement and
    is not part of the standard treatment regimen
    of a person with a diagnosed mental illness
    who is a client of the department. Physically
    holding a person during a procedure to
    forcibly administer psychotropic medication
    is a physical restraint.

So basically they force drugs on someone if they deem all other methods to be bad.
    This could be someone with extreme delusion or someone who is not compliant...

I don't really know what to make of this rule.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the government:https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topi...ml#part_149866

Antipsychotic medicines are primarily used to manage psychosis. The word “psychosis” is used to describe conditions that affect the mind, and in which there has been some loss of contact with reality, often including delusions (false, fixed beliefs) or hallucinations (hearing or seeing things that are not really there). It can be a symptom of a physical condition such as drug abuse or a mental disorder such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, or very severe depression (also known as “psychotic depression”).

Antipsychotic medications are often used in combination with other medications to treat delirium, dementia, and mental health conditions, including:

Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
    Severe Depression
    Eating Disorders
    Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
    Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
    Generalized Anxiety Disorder
    Antipsychotic medicines do not cure these conditions. They are used to help relieve symptoms and improve quality of life.

Some people may have a relapse—meaning their symptoms come back or get worse. Usually relapses happen when people stop taking their medication, or when they only take it sometimes. Some people stop taking the medication because they feel better or they may feel that they don't need it anymore, but no one should stop taking an antipsychotic medication without talking to his or her doctor. When a doctor says it is okay to stop taking a medication, it should be gradually tapered off— never stopped suddenly. Many people must stay on an antipsychotic continuously for months or years in order to stay well; treatment should be personalized for each individual.

The FDA lists the following side effects of antipsychotic medicines:

Drowsiness
    Dizziness
    Restlessness
    Weight gain (the risk is higher with some atypical antipsychotic medicines)
    Dry mouth
    Constipation
    Nausea
    Vomiting
    Blurred vision
    Low blood pressure
    Uncontrollable movements, such as tics and tremors (the risk is higher with typical antipsychotic medicines)
    Seizures
    A low number of white blood cells, which fight infections

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL this is funny. Yes you're right that Socionics is bullshit, it doesn't work and it obviously doesn't solve any problems. I mean what do you expect when you hear things like "You are so and so because you're a sensor" and so on. That doesn't really mean anything. The "gaslighting" part is people insisting that Socionics works when it obviously doesn't. Or they don't acknowledge that it has any problems and make up some excuses for it.

I also wouldn't bother so much with the "personality disorders", which are in the same vein as any other typologies like Socionics. They're not going to be helping you very much.

I definitely don't "type" people and don't even think about Socionics anymore, not really because I have "gotten rid of" Socionics or forgotten about it, but because I know that it's wrong and I can easily refute it. All it took was to analyze why it was wrong. This allows me to wade through all the bullshit because I know what is sensible and what is nonsense.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was prescribed a generic version of Abilify which has a black box warning. My first therapist said it is called a "dirty drug" in their industry.

The main side effect I noticed from it was that it made me feel like a zombie. My motor abilities were way off and my mental sharpness became duller than a butter knife. Everyone told me not to quit the medication cold turkey because of the side effects or whatever. Well, I knew I could not keep taking it because it severely impeded my work performance and my ability to function in general. So I just stopped taking it. There was one occasion where I was in the state between dreaming and being awake where I heard children giggling and thought it was amusing that a medication that treats psychotic disorders was giving me auditory hallucinations. But other than that, I was totally fine.

TIM
    IEI 417
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It happened to me. However, the second time I was at the psychward, they did not force any medication on me but threatened to if I continued to speak up about the perceived poor treatment of the patients.

The first time, I willingly took the antipsychotic meds but other patients had the medicine forced on them.

And if they make you take certain meds and you don't comply, they can hold you indefinitely and have you appear before a judge who may decide to commit you to a mental institution against your will. This was what the nurse told me on my second visit to a psych ward (not the same one as the first one).

fwiwi, I live in Florida which has the Baker Act that not all states have. So your experiences might be specific to where you live. I'm just going by my own experiences. I spoke to a therapist and told her what happened with my previous therapist and she pretty much said if you express to your therapist anything about suicide, they have to have you Baker Acted. Again, this is Florida. It's a weird ass state.

Regarding psych wards being so cold, it's because it is a hospital and it prevents bacterial growth and prevents sickness. They make you wear a gown because they want to make sure you don't strangle yourself. Typically after you've been there for a day or two and the staff sees you are not an immediate threat to yourself, they will give you your clothes. So it's always a good idea to wear something warm if the cops ever come for you.

Anyway, that's all I've got to say on that.

I heard St. John's Wort helps with mood stuff. However, if you use nicotine, it can cause a bad reaction. Not sure why but that's why I haven't used it.
    In combination with cutting out all forms of refined sugar, SAM-e works for me within a few days of starting with hardly any side effects. The only thing is that it can't be taken for those with BPD.

TIM
    POOP™
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by asd View Post
    Tbh I have never heard of someone being randomly stuffed in a cop car and carried to a hospital and randomly given medication. You talk to your psychiatrists about your symptoms and they collaborate with you on what would be best for you. Honestly you could fake good if you want to get out. And I understand wanting to get out - but it’s...I am entirely sure the problem you specified actually happens today?

also involuntary hospitalization from what I know has been done after the fact of suicide attempt, rarely, if at all, before. I think they may recommend but not force it.
    See my response below. I am not making this up.

fwiwi, I live in Florida which has the Baker Act that not all states have. So your experiences might be specific to where you live. I'm just going by my own experiences. I spoke to a therapist and told her what happened with my previous therapist and she pretty much said if you express to your therapist anything about suicide, they have to have you Baker Acted. Again, this is Florida. It's a weird ass state.

Regarding psych wards being so cold, it's because it is a hospital and it prevents bacterial growth and prevents sickness. They make you wear a gown because they want to make sure you don't strangle yourself. Typically after you've been there for a day or two and the staff sees you are not an immediate threat to yourself, they will give you your clothes. So it's always a good idea to wear something warm if the cops ever come for you.

Anyway, that's all I've got to say on that.

I heard St. John's Wort helps with mood stuff. However, if you use nicotine, it can cause a bad reaction. Not sure why but that's why I haven't used it.
    Dude...wtf...same shit happened to me when I was a kid...in Florida..."Baker Act". The psychiatrist assumed I was severely mentally ill and wouldn't let me leave. I had to go to court and they diagnosed me as "Major Depression" when I wasn't even suicidal or homicidal or all that depressed (I was distraught about having my rights violated though...), but let me leave. I had issues, but I wasn't really mentally ill. What I did, I wrote a violent "fictional" story where the main character kills people and himself. So my teacher, without even talking to me, got a court order over the weekend to come and get me and my dad was gone on a business trip and I was living with him at the time (divorced). And like 6 cops stormed my apartment and dragged me away. Later I had to get all the documents the "doctor" wrote up on me to get my gun rights back and this fucker had me listed as
    *Schizoaffective
    *psychosis
    *homocidal
    *suicidal
    All based on a fictional story I wrote...he never even asked me about it, just looked at me like I was crazy when I told him I wasn't suicidal.

You might find the following either really sad or humorous...
    https://time.com/5784757/nadia-king-...er-act-school/

https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/health...ker-act-system

Baker Act's are used to control people's behaviors when it was originally supposed to be used to help people that are "actually" mentally ill. It's fucked up, but I don't know what can be done about it. Most people aren't going to advocate for mentally ill people and if a doctor can just say you are delusional or out of you mind, they can justify any conclusions they reach about you...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramas View Post
    Just rename this place Beta Central lmao
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightWilderness View Post
    The only problem socionics has given me is a propensity to analyze every relationship from the lens of socionics and I also see that it is worse in my boyfriend. Nothing makes any sense that way and it does not really solve any problems.

shitposter extraordinaire
    TIM
    ESI-Fi 6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diet, sleep, exercise. And no recreational drugs. This is what my psychiatrist has me doing, along with taking antipsychotics.

I have a severe mental illness. From what you described, you are probably not going insane. Take care of yourself.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately we think that craziness means dangerous and the films on TV about people with mental illnesses do not depict reality. There are too many myths about this thing and it is still stigmatized and misunderstood.

But even just defining things as mental illness without really thinking deeply on it is wrong... Unless the story you wrote involved actual people in your life there should have been no questions.

And just like... @Nobody without notifying or asking your dad about the situation?

TIM
    POOP™
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But even just defining things as mental illness without really thinking deeply on it is wrong... Unless the story you wrote involved actual people in your life there should have been no questions.

And just like... @Nobody without notifying or asking your dad about the situation?
    That's what was so fucked up, it was a fictional story and they had no cause; and under Florida Baker Act law, they don't have to notify parents beforehand or talk to them. The most bizarre thing about it is that no one talked to me about the story at all, not even the psychiatrist. He just assumed I was mentally ill when really I just had issues. And this was all done and deliberated behind my back. I wish I had money to sue back then or that my parents cared about suing them, but they didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramas View Post
    Just rename this place Beta Central lmao
    The only problem socionics has given me is a propensity to analyze every relationship from the lens of socionics and I also see that it is worse in my boyfriend. Nothing makes any sense that way and it does not really solve any problems.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah. The messed up part is someone can make something up that you are suicidal or misinterpret certain behaviors as suicidal and that's all it takes to lose your rights. It's why I hate the mental health system and have developed a disdain for psychology or at least how it's practiced here. At psychwards, they will diagnose you with some BS without taking the time to really talk to you or inquire about long term behaviors. It absolutely sickens me. People deemed as mentally ill have very few rights and few people are advocating on their behalf. People think psychwards are there to help but they just make things so much worse. Exceptions exist, but there is a lot of violation of free will just because some people won't mind their own business.

And it's messed up how teachers can Baker Act a kid without parental knowledge. The last time I was in the psychward, I could always hear the staff screaming at the kids. I mean wtf.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of what you're talking about sounds like clinical depression to me as well. Someone 'insane' would have problems with things like voices or odd beliefs or maybe just have huge elated feelings which last for hours and then 'crashes' that are filled with huge bouts of depression. Coming from someone mentally ill myself, I would just go to my family doctor and see if he/she could prescribe an antidepressant and take it from there...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12