TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    315 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by asd View Post

imagine being in the midst of these super tall trees
    Oh, so gorgeous! I love, love, love it! Yes, the trees - extraordinarily tall. And reflected water always pulls my heart.

Lately I have been looking into catalog houses, and examining what I can find on catalog houses (i.e., Sears Houses), and just any houses built like 1910 to 1940 that I just love, not just me but a lot of people, trying to understand more of why/how they are so much nicer than modern houses, so well-built. And I realized the solidness that I love, and the appeal comes from the wonderful, consistent, generous wood used everywhere, from the joists to the trim. Excellent trim work in the most humblest of houses! And wide-plank floors! Love them. Why don't we build like this any more? And no pesky knots showing through, later, after you have done a nice job painting new wood, like today. It was knotless wood, basically - they would refund you for every knot you found! Amazing! But then my nostalgia for these better-building days, and my hope that we could return to these old ways, was dampened when I realized this was due to the abundance of old growth wood available in America. And - it's no so available today. : (

So there is a story there. of not planning ahead, to log in a way that preserved our wonderful beauty in America. And same with farming these days. They are heavily pushing vegetarian diets - and is it Gates that came out to say we should ALL be eating fake beef?? Without cows we and the way we farm to produce all this grain and corn and soy we will be will continue to strip our land so that will will have one big dust bowl across America. Like the once fertile Nile. : ( We need cows!!! [All you have to do is feed the seaweed to get them to fart less) https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ons-scientists We really need to take better care of our earth!

So that made me think of my beloved Adirondacks - I wonder what it looked like before was logged?? Because my favorite places, when I look up their history, had a bald period. When it had just been logged. Nice for those who invested in the unappealing denuded land at a good price, because if they hung onto it, they (or their descendants) are enjoying the land now that the new growth has grown up a lot. So beautiful now - but how much more beautiful in the glory days before they logged out all the ancient growth?

Okay, done with my rant.
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Thomason View Post
    Omigosh, its not just being an indecisive scale-bouncing Libra, its IEE, too?! No wonder. Okay, I won't complain. We all have our challenges and we can overcome them with effort. I was inspire3d by your roommate anecdote and decided to take on your the just-do-it challenge, combined with Jordan Peterson's advice to just make today better than yesterday as far as accomplishing something you want to get done. And I have made good headway in the past two days!

I had actually already pulled everything out of drawers and closets that needed considering in FEBRAUARY, organized them into separate "consideration" piles, and made some serious headway last month. Then I had to do a lot to "repackage" myself to apply for a new position, including resume updates and portfolio re-dos and just so much, and that was intensive, including two all-nighters in there. Then turning back to the upstairs project seemed too overwhelming so I IGNORED it and have been walking around those piles up there for a month now waiting to get hit with inspiration but it wasn't happening. But today while working i thought of how nice it would be to start a new job - Lord willing I get it - I have had 3 interviews with 5 people so I am hopeful - with my home in good order - the main floor was done before Christmas, and then to have the 2nd floor all tidy for the first time since we moved here would be great. Then there is the attic which is small and not too bad, and finishign the basement, which is 3/4's done already.

Tonight I tackled scarves, and finished the whole job. I thought it was going to be such a big job, but I did no expect to get it done in a partial day! I have a lot of scarves because my work "uniform" (thing I wear al the time) is simple, usually solid color jersey type scoop neck shirts in colors I like, combined with solid color Talbots slacks or skirts in classic colors like navy. A scarf (in my colors and patterns and fabric type) brings it up a notch easily. So I have a lot. First, the hard part, a decision. I decided that since I have small closets, the hanging thing I have done with these cute little velvet scarf hangers, all organized by color on different scarf hangers, just won't do. Example:
    .................................................. .........................................
    They just hog too much space in a tight closet - so muchI invaded the guest closet with them. So two closets. So I researched folding storage that works in a drawer (I freed up drawers last month) and made a decision. I thought I would have to go with "donuts" or "buns" which look I think look messy but are space-saving, but found two other way. One is Marie Condo's stand up folding:

Most of my scarves are like this now and I cannot believe how LITTLE space they take up! Before they were dominating closet space, and now they are all folded up neat like that and take up HALF a drawer! I am going to do the same Marie Condo stand-up method for clothes in the drawers.

Can't wait to see it all lined up neat and tidy. Okay, I am motivated!

Some scarves are billowy or have a folded texture in them and work better with this twist method, so I have a pile of these laying next to the divided box of folded scarves in this method:

Storage containers - I have too many! So I want to complete this organizing top-to-bottom and use the very ones I need and give my excess useful containers to Goodwill. Then anything I bring home means something has to go out because I will know exactly what I actually have room for.

Well you probably won't want coral orange walls with coral orange bedding but I have some pics below for you so you can see what some designers did with that color. I wonder what color you will pick for the walls? Some kind of interesting green? (Or by doing walls, do you mean pictures?)

Taurus here. Lol

Way to go on the organization!

I like those ways of organizing those scarves.

Thanks for the pictures. Those rooms look great. My walls are blue already, so I'll probably make the room blue & coral. Yeah, some pictures or something on the walls, I was thinking. Will probably end up looking like a mix between the second & third picture.

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    315 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Color!

I love a brilliant use of color, and the following pics are wonderful examples of not only wonderful color use, but patterns and shapes. I love it so much I spent a bunch of satisfying time arranging this group of pictures, and explaining them. (For those rare few of you that like that kind of thing, like me).

Colors well done:

My Very Favorites:
    In this first group of three, I love everything about the rooms, and they are what I am striving for at least on my 2nd floor. The just-right colors - and I am very picky about color - and the just-right balance and amount of details. There are something of scallops featured in several of these rooms, which truly draws my eye most happily. I know I must incorporate something of that judiciously in my next room enhancements. I love scallop edgess.:

More of this wall color I favor, which works so well with the rich wood cabinet and that painting. I like the fluff on the chair, but I would upholster the chair in a deep tone velvet, and throw a sheepskin on it for a better more genuine fluff-look:

Blues, teals and mints
    :

This room is so awesome. I love tone-on tone stripe. It can work really well. The balance of arrangement here is esquisitely satisfying.

Love the chair pads Scallop-like. Works with floor and blue and with the white china!

Ode to green:

I like the scallop-y look valance:

This was probably decorated around that plate collection. The green looks just right with the wood color on those interesting beds:

Ode to an uncommon green, likely all about inspiration of that green marble fireplace surround:

Reds:

Wonderful use of red accent. There is an undertone of rust in the red, making it work well with it's complement, blue, with a teal undertone - the green in that acting as a compliment to the red. The blue is powder soft, and often I find that a very appealing combination with complementary colors, where of one of the compliment is bold color, and the other soft or muted shade of the color. It sure works in here. Add to that, a repetition of design elements in the detail. Love it all.

This use of red is good; red works well with a very deep, gold-ish ivory color in the trim. Not my colors, but a good use of them. In this room I see a story. I think what happened is they needed to vacuum, and there were piles of books on the floor (because these folks like to read) and they put the books and the big floor plant on the table for a better vacuum. And they looked at the room with this big plant emphasizing the ceiling height, and their beloved books displayed on the table, and said, "I really like the room like this. " And snapped a picture.

Peach and pattern:
    Peach is a perfect foil for this wonderful mix of subtle patterns, with a punch of muted bright in those dusty red pillows. Morrocan is not my style, but I love how it is done here.

Subtle but not bland misty neutrals A secret to the success of this room I believe is that there is more subtle color to the ceiling than in the neutral walls. And I LOVE the table treatment. The gingham edge. The top layer of scalloped white lace! Just perfect. And that ceiling color shows off a showcase piece in the room - that very unique attractive ceiling lamp:

Great use of cream:
    Last edited by Eliza Thomason; 03-22-2021 at 02:50 AM.
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

TIM
    LII 9w1
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    EII-C 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@fatgurl that first room looks really cozy, now I want one

The Self is temporary but xSFxs are eternal one's Avatar
    TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

Exhibit C

R

Eldritch Abomination shotgunfingers's Avatar
    TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    ILI-C
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shotgunfingers View Post
    x
    Imagine standing naked in a room like that with a bottle of whiskey in one hand and a girthy blunt in the other.
    "The society that separates it's scholars from it's warriors will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting by fools." ―Thucydides

TIM
    ESI-Fi
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alternate the overlapped pieces of glass and you have interactive decor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12