Thread: isn't reading the mind in the eyes test a really inadequate measure of cognitive empathy?

TIM
    ESI-Fi 146w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default isn't reading the mind in the eyes test a really inadequate measure of cognitive empathy?

the reading the mind in the eyes test is a bad test because to do well on it, you have to have good to exact long term visual detail and spatial memory, attention to position; it measures those abilities just about as much as it measures ability to perceive emotions. it ignores auditory(-tonal) and intellectual, experience (e.g., somebody being like "I've been through it, I know how it feels, i can understand how this person feels"), and knowledge (societal trends, norms, traditions, but more importantly observation of what the individual's personality, character, their sensations, likes and dislikes etc), based cognitive empathy. also, auditory tonal empathy causes affective empathy (which i don't value much because it can often be reasoned to accomodate someone else's needs or wishes and affective empathy can also cause problems such as lack of independence, loss of productivity of new goods, etc.) more than visual interpretation. that would make since anyway sense the temporal lobes are where sound/auditory tones are perceived/processed/whatever and they're closer to the frontal lobe which is where affective empathy takes place (part of the frontal lobe is basically what controls the heart) than the right posterior cortex which is more visual and also which is required for good deductive reasoning ability. it's not so much left brain or right brain.
    I'm sorry, but I'm psychologically disturbed.

TIM
    ESI-Fi 146w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

did i make any sense when i wrote the post above?
    I'm sorry, but I'm psychologically disturbed.

TIM
    Juke Skywalker
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
    the reading the mind in the eyes test is a bad test because to do well on it, you have to have good to exact long term visual detail and spatial memory, attention to position; it measures those abilities just about as much as it measures ability to perceive emotions. it ignores auditory(-tonal) and intellectual, experience (e.g., somebody being like "I've been through it, I know how it feels, i can understand how this person feels"), and knowledge (societal trends, norms, traditions, but more importantly observation of what the individual's personality, character, their sensations, likes and dislikes etc), based cognitive empathy. also, auditory tonal empathy causes affective empathy (which i don't value much because it can often be reasoned to accomodate someone else's needs or wishes and affective empathy can also cause problems such as lack of independence, loss of productivity of new goods, etc.) more than visual interpretation. that would make since anyway sense the temporal lobes are where sound/auditory tones are perceived/processed/whatever and they're closer to the frontal lobe which is where affective empathy takes place (part of the frontal lobe is basically what controls the heart) than the right posterior cortex which is more visual and also which is required for good deductive reasoning ability. it's not so much left brain or right brain.
    I just did this one, and got 31/36, though this one is pretty bad because some of the pics are really shadowed.....

Reading the Mind in the Eyes Test

I definitely don't see it as a measurement of cognitive empathy though, its just a test to see how good you are at reading emotions, which seems like more of a test of FE if anything, or maybe there are other reasons why people are reading ppls faces/emotions, but if you are FE ignoring then you doing not as good wouldn't be that surprising....

TIM
    Juke Skywalker
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're right about the audio aspect as well though.... I would use that as well as visual clues.... also observing general behavior/noticing differences from usual behavior...

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My score 28/36.

Hence it may not require high Fe.

I got it wrong for example when I thought he was alarmed not hostile etc, but those kind of things interlinked in my mind. I think hostility caused by being alarmed.

TIM
    SLI 5w6
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took that test a long time ago. It's pretty simple.

TIM
    Juke Skywalker
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by myresearch View Post
    My score 28/36.

Hence it may not require high Fe.

I got it wrong for example when I thought he was alarmed not hostile etc, but those kind of things interlinked in my mind. I think hostility caused by being alarmed.
    Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd View Post
    I took that test a long time ago. It's pretty simple.
    Yeah I think I can be related to FE, but of course there's more to FE than just reading others..... it's about how you respond to/effect others/ also...

It's still interesting to know how everyone/different types would do though....

The average score for this test is 22 to 30 apparently

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The test is kinda crappy.

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

it measures sensing and feeling

my results: Your Score:26/36

Understanding Your Score
    The average score for this test is in the range of 22 to 30 correct responses. If you scored above 30, you may be quite good at understanding someone's mental state based on facial cues. If you scored below 22, you may find it difficult to understand a person's mental state based on their facial expressions.

interested in what @Adam Strange would get.

im guessing STs and NFs would get around an average score, and NTs below average with SFs above average

Last edited by Number 9 large; 08-26-2021 at 09:43 PM.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I scored above 30 but made a few lucky guesses on the ones I wasn’t sure about.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why it is crappy: it is not possible to know if the people displayed are simply posing, or they are really feeling the supposed emotion in question. It only relies in appeareance, not truth.

Also, some complicated emotions are not easy to read, since they are a mixture of different emotions. Say for example, someone could feel a mixture of terror and arousement. Or happiness and sadness. Or love and resentment. These can be read by an skilled person (i.e. an empath).

I would perhaps guess that in this test, the best scorers would be alpha SF's, while in real world emotion identification, delta NF's.

These are the thoughts I had when I took it years ago, anyway.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got all of them correct. I found that it helps to look at the picture and think of a word yourself before you look at the choices.

I don't think reading others' emotional expressions is the same as empathy though.

Edit: looking at everyone else's responses maybe I got lucky on a few of them.
    Last edited by EUDAEMONIUM; 08-26-2021 at 11:24 PM.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roger557 View Post
    Why it is crappy: it is not possible to know if the people displayed are simply posing, or they are really feeling the supposed emotion in question. It only relies in appeareance, not truth.

Also, some complicated emotions are not easy to read, since they are a mixture of different emotions. Say for example, someone could feel a mixture of terror and arousement. Or happiness and sadness. Or love and resentment. These can be read by an skilled person (i.e. an empath).

I would perhaps guess that in this test, the best scorers would be alpha SF's, while in real world emotion identification, delta NF's.

These are the thoughts I had when I took it years ago, anyway.

What type are you?
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by D E M O N View Post
    What type are you?
    Gamma. Take your pick.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roger557 View Post
    Gamma. Take your pick.
    You're letting me pick? I pick SEE.