Thread: Fertilizer philosophical question

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fertilizer philosophical question

Why are people grossed out by the farmer taking a dump on his vegetables, but not grossed out by cow fertilizer?

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Biological aversion to human poop is stronger than aversion to cow poop?

Human poop is very dangerous to put on or near vegetables grown for human consumption. There’s a reason we don’t use it as fertilizer.

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't cow/horse fertilizer stored for some time before put on the fields? It decomposes and can then be used. Cows taking a dump on vegetables would also be gross and dangerous.

I've used horse fertilizer and it doesn't smell bad.

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    Human poop is very dangerous to put on or near vegetables grown for human consumption. There’s a reason we don’t use it as fertilizer.
    Wouldn't that be true for any kind of poop? Is human fertilizer somehow special?
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It is like he pulls his vegetables out his own ass. We are not fine with that but we are fine when it comes to consuming products from animal intercourse. Cycle of life. You don't like it when it comes too close to you. BTW I find people who do artificial insemination a bit suspicious.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    Wouldn't that be true for any kind of poop? Is human fertilizer somehow special?
    I used to compost. From my recollection, poop from herbivores is generally better for plants than poop from omnivores/carnivores, which has something to do with the chemical composition of the poop. And I don't know if it's the case for other non-herbivores, but I know human poop has a much higher risk of transmitting parasites and other diseases, at least to humans, than, say, cow poop. The time it takes to compost human poop safely is considered around 2-3 years IIRC.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to compost. From my recollection, poop from herbivores is generally better for plants than poop from omnivores/carnivores, which has something to do with the chemical composition of the poop. And I don't know if it's the case for other non-herbivores, but I know human poop has a much higher risk of transmitting parasites and other diseases, at least to humans, than, say, cow poop. The time it takes to compost human poop safely is considered around 2-3 years IIRC.
    ok, that makes sense.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerxe View Post
    Why are people grossed out by the farmer taking a dump on his vegetables, but not grossed out by cow fertilizer?

To answer your question:

Human poop comes from the body and is seen as a waste product that we as civilized beings have to separate us from physically and psychologically. It's taboo in a way. Cow poop is seen as already being a part of the organic world and there is no taboo connected to it. There is less psychological need to separate us from cow poop.
    Last edited by Tallmo; 02-20-2021 at 06:45 PM.

(Jung on Si)

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One way to look at it is this: the vegetables are the farmer's private property and he should have the right to do whatever he wants; telling him "no" is Communism.
    Last edited by xerx; 02-20-2021 at 06:18 PM.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why are people grossed out by eating man-flesh, but not by eating cow-flesh?

To answer your question:

Human poop comes from the body and is seen as a waste product that we as civilized beings have to separate us from physically and psychologically. It's taboo in a way. Cow poop is seen as already being a part of the organic world and there is no taboo connected to it. There is less psychological need to separate us from cow poop.
    If we're talking about seeing the farmer taking a dump, then it really doesn't need to be a farmer, seeing people taking a dump is generally gross. If we're talking about the practice of using human dump instead then, uhh, idk, I'm currently not being grossed out by that. Since I'm not cognizant of the barrier that you are talking about here, does that mean I'm unhinged...?

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by closetpian1st View Post
    If we're talking about seeing the farmer taking a dump, then it really doesn't need to be a farmer, seeing people taking a dump is generally gross. If we're talking about the practice of using human dump instead then, uhh, idk, I'm currently not being grossed out by that. Since I'm not cognizant of the barrier that you are talking about here, does that mean I'm unhinged...?
    What about dog poop in the street vs human poop? Do they feel the same to you? To me human poop on the sidewalk feels much worse than dog poop.

(Jung on Si)

What about dog poop in the street vs human poop? Do they feel the same to you? To me human poop on the sidewalk feels much worse than dog poop.
    Oh I see... Those are essentially the same problem huh.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    Why are people grossed out by eating man-flesh, but not by eating cow-flesh?

In japanese mythology gods shat in the fields to make em fertile.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am, as always, fully vindicated:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...ling-human-poo

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does that mean someone is going to use the poop from vegans to grow crops? That seems wrong too.