Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 74

Thread: Should Socionics go mainstream?

  1. #1
    Surreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    TIM
    3w4
    Posts
    146
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Lightbulb Should Socionics go mainstream?

    Imagine a society where countries are divided by Quadra values, and parents disowning children due to intertype relationships. It could make society run more smoothly, and maybe increase human life satisfaction if done properly. However, violence and discrimination could also ensue, making the subject very complicated.

    Do you think this should occur, especially if Socionics happens to be empirically proven? What are some thoughts and opinions about this topic?

  2. #2
    Aramas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,263
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    I mean that's basically Harry Potter if you think about it. It's a positive vision of a harmonious society guided by typology.

  3. #3
    FreelancePoliceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Maizistan
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    1,833
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Even if you could prove that 16 different basic "types" of people exist, I think that it would still be difficult to prove much of what Socionics tries to predict about ITRs, and perhaps even how IEs are supposed to work or be structured. Basically, even if you have physical evidence of something, its interpretation isn't necessarily clear.

    I don't think the situation would be any different than how it is now on the forums. Most people are working with the assumption that these types exist, yet you have endless different opinions and models which mostly contradict each other. I don't see how it would be any different if you just extend this pattern to a larger group of people.

  4. #4
    Adam Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Posts
    10,151
    Mentioned
    1076 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    You are probably overemphasizing the importance of Socionics compared to other systems of discriminating between people.

    I know an LII who is a real asshole and I know an LII who is a really great guy. The difference in their levels of health far outweighs the difference between LIE and LII.

    It is tempting to assume that people in your Quadra would be healthier associates than people from outside your Quadra, but the truth is that the best people for us are psychologically healthy people, regardless of their sociotype.

    If you want to improve the world, improve mental health. After that, then we can talk Socionics.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,260
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I actually think the upcoming psychedelic revolution is going to up end psychology.

  6. #6
    DeliMeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    TIM
    IEI-N
    Posts
    230
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Not a good idea. Probably.

    We need our supervisors just as much as we need our duals, and every other type. Also, judging by how even the most studied people in socionics can disagree with each other sometimes, I think socionics would be twisted into some wild interpretations if it were that popular. I mean, look at how discombobulated the myers-briggs communities are, lol. There is a lot of room to fuck something like this up.

    And honestly, if socionics were worth its salt, a healthy and varied society should sort itself out like that automatically.

    But I totally want socionics to get at least as much attention as MBTI. One problem socionics has with gaining popularity is that it just isn't marketable to the everyman, I think. It would need a dumbed-down application like the myers-briggs system has done by emphasizing the basic dichotomies and creating what are essentially archetypes. Most people start out with that, and then a minority of those look into the cognitive functions and whatnot, and then maybe a minority of that minority moves on to socionics.

    I remember a class I took in middle school and a class I took in college introduced the students to some simple personality systems and people really seemed to eat that stuff up. I don't remember what the middle school one was, but the college class covered the True Colors personality model. I remember how infuriating it was to have to sit through that True Colors bullshit having already been introduced to socionics at the time. We only covered it for two days in that class before moving on, but I still remember how much my classmates enjoyed the whole thing. Honestly, I think that kind of subtle exposure could be really nice if it were socionics, but socionics has a big learning curve.

  7. #7
    Haikus Computer Loser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,434
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    yea it should def go mainstream. that way I can do stupid stuff and say "its cuz I don't value it"

  8. #8
    Socionics is a spook ashlesha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    15,436
    Mentioned
    867 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

    Default

    with the amount of vitriol that people manage to conjure over the most trivial shit, lol.

    the material used to create straws. that was a reason for people to bring together savage groups to oppose the enemy lol

    can you fucking imagine

  9. #9
    megedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    TIM
    IEI-C
    Posts
    164
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If socionics ever got close to being mainstream, it would be taken about as seriously as astrology until some kind of hard evidence was discovered. I mean ITR is there and everything starts clicking the more you learn it, but ultimately it's not going to sway the masses unless someone can find a way to prove it in an academic context. Until then it's doomed to have the "psuedoscience" label

    which honestly works for me i mean the memes are already terrible enough here, we don't need normies posting socionics memes on facebook like they do for astrology every day lmao
    ~we're just out here havin a good time~

  10. #10
    scientist donkey BrightDemonSheep96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    On a toilet, right above you
    TIM
    ILE-H LEVF/omnibeta
    Posts
    6,333
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    If it is given that a type occurs randomly it would make it quite impossible to organize it. In other words aborginal Tahitian borderless relationship model gives the most wiggle room. In which case we just would follow path of least resistance hence making this approach bit pointless. I think the whole point of this system is to show how moronic we humans are in terms of need to control others.
    Last edited by BrightDemonSheep96; 02-19-2021 at 05:19 AM.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

     

    Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

    Your life is too short to actually do anything useful with it without being wasteful.

  11. #11
    What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Finland
    TIM
    SEI
    Posts
    2,993
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeliMeat View Post
    Not a good idea. Probably.

    We need our supervisors just as much as we need our duals, and every other type.
    Why? I mean it sounds good to say something like that but I personally need Alphas more than other types. And when I look around people tend to prefer same quadra.

    I think socionics would be twisted into some wild interpretations if it were that popular. I mean, look at how discombobulated the myers-briggs communities are, lol. There is a lot of room to fuck something like this up.
    Yes I agree. This will happen, and it has already happened with the MBTI misunderstanding of Jung.

    And honestly, if socionics were worth its salt, a healthy and varied society should sort itself out like that automatically.
    That's a bold conclusion. I don't really see how you make that step.

    But I totally want socionics to get at least as much attention as MBTI.
    It will. Socionics/Jung is a natural phenomenon of the mind so it will get recognition at some point. But it will probably take a long time, like hundreds of years before civilization has become enough introspective to see what has always been there.
    A true sense-perception certainly exists, but it always looks as though objects were not so much forcing their way into the subject in their own right as that the subject were seeing things quite differently, or saw quite other things than the rest of mankind. As a matter of fact, the subject perceives the same things as everybody else, only, he never stops at the purely objective effect, but concerns himself with the subjective perception released by the objective stimulus.
    (Jung on Si)


    My Pinterest

  12. #12

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    11,726
    Mentioned
    359 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    A society of all Betas would probably self-destruct, as much as I like and proud to be a Beta- it would need at least some Alphas and Gammas. It would be Hell in the sense of total nothingness or annihilation in the end. But I think that's true for every quadra. ((though it would be the most obvious with Beta probably))

    I probably agree that oppositional quadras one could do without though. I had to live in a place with almost nothing but Deltas for three years having authority over me and it was hell. I was a zombie and I hated that crap. I could probably go my entire life without seeing a Delta and be perfectly fine- even though I still like some IEEs.

    But like Gamma corrects Beta- and as long as it isn't too condescending or too much- it is actually good to have some Gammas around for that reason. Beta also corrects Alpha, and Alpha corrects Delta etc.

  13. #13
    chocolatte's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    TIM
    IEI 417
    Posts
    387
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It would be cool but it's just not realistic. The number of ways it could go sour (misunderstandings/misuses) is just too high, cause people are stupid.

  14. #14
    UDP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    "Come with me if you want to live"
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    14,907
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surreal View Post
    Imagine a society where countries are divided by Quadra values, and parents disowning children due to intertype relationships. It could make society run more smoothly, and maybe increase human life satisfaction if done properly. However, violence and discrimination could also ensue, making the subject very complicated.

    Do you think this should occur, especially if Socionics happens to be empirically proven? What are some thoughts and opinions about this topic?
    are you familiar with "clash of civilizations"?

    You can say that humanity's civilization project isn't going to well right now, but I have to say, deciding to use personality types and socionics in particular as a means to separate people sounds like a recipe for further ... "lack of progress".

    It could make society run more smoothly,

    That sounds misguided if not short-sighted, at best.

    In general, becoming aware of differences in psychological lopsidedness should afford some understanding and mitigation capacity. Choosing only to avoid them, or give a particular positive label to people who appear to have the same ones, sounds, essentially, like a turning away from robustness, understanding, or nuance.

    If you are using socionics only as divisive tool, well, civilization has plenty of outlets for that which are already mainstream, so I doubt it would add much there. I would suggest the "best use" of "socionics" in a "mainstream" sense is introducing nuance, particularly wrt acknowledging many different kinds of people can exist. Even further, finding ways to help positive things come forth in the world.

    If you're new to socinoics and believe only being around people of your own quadra will make you happy, give it some time. The disappointment will help you see there's more going on in human relations than remixed jungian linguo + leftover russian cultural influences with some pretty logical arrangements. Finally, one lens will not be enough to see clearly, so learn other systems if you want to see better.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

    ~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

  15. #15
    Emily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    TIM
    IEI-Fe Sx/So
    Posts
    441
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Dividing society into quadras would only increase prejudice in an already prejudiced world. We humans love to categorize, and that's fine (it's a particularly fun Ti hobby), but separating people based on quadras sounds like a few steps removed from concentration camps <-- (Maybe that's too extreme, though...I don't want to embrace the "slippery slope" fallacy).

    As others have said, same quadra doesn't predict good relations. I've had unfortunate falling outs with Betas over mental and relational health levels and being incompatible in other ways, while many of my long standing friendships have been with other quadras. I like what @UDP said about using more than one lens. Wait...did I just agree with my conflictor?!

    I've learned a lot from my opposing quadra so I can't really imagine a world without Deltas. I would just need the freedom to not be surrounded by them constantly. Independence is key.

  16. #16
    Aramas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,263
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    You are probably overemphasizing the importance of Socionics compared to other systems of discriminating between people.

    I know an LII who is a real asshole and I know an LII who is a really great guy. The difference in their levels of health far outweighs the difference between LIE and LII.

    It is tempting to assume that people in your Quadra would be healthier associates than people from outside your Quadra, but the truth is that the best people for us are psychologically healthy people, regardless of their sociotype.

    If you want to improve the world, improve mental health. After that, then we can talk Socionics.
    And if you want to improve mental health, eradicate poverty.

  17. #17
    Aramas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,263
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surreal View Post
    Imagine a society where countries are divided by Quadra values, and parents disowning children due to intertype relationships. It could make society run more smoothly, and maybe increase human life satisfaction if done properly. However, violence and discrimination could also ensue, making the subject very complicated.

    Do you think this should occur, especially if Socionics happens to be empirically proven? What are some thoughts and opinions about this topic?
    I assume they would get new families tbh. It would be interesting to see a society with an even division of labor according to inherent strengths. I suddenly remember the idea of the holy city descending from heaven in Revelation and think that it would kinda be like this. Where people understand the real causes of their disagreements and people have their basic needs met.

    I would like a Socionics blood test though. Something quick and easy and reliable. Maybe even a saliva swab that works like a pregnancy test.

  18. #18
    DeliMeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    TIM
    IEI-N
    Posts
    230
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    Why? I mean it sounds good to say something like that but I personally need Alphas more than other types. And when I look around people tend to prefer same quadra.

    That's a bold conclusion. I don't really see how you make that step.
    We need other types like our supervisors just as much as our duals because society needs everybody for sustenance and thus you do too. You may not have any reason to include such people in your immediate social/familial group, but I don't think being exclusive on a large scale is sustainable. The OP suggested countries as divided by quadra: United States of Alpha? Betaladesh? Gammaland? Deltacan Republic? My god, it's like global scale tribalism! How long do you think the USAlpha would last without any Te users around?

    I suggest that a "healthy" (a bit vague, I know) and varied society would sort itself out automatically for pretty much the same reason you questioned my first point. One expects to naturally gravitate towards comfortable intertype relations. Alphas stick to alphas, betas to betas, etc. Perhaps mainstream exposure of socionics could assist people in that. If the world transpires into necessary compartmentalization of the quadras, something went awry along the way. If people cannot congregate with like-minded individuals as is then we are screwed.

  19. #19
    scientist donkey BrightDemonSheep96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    On a toilet, right above you
    TIM
    ILE-H LEVF/omnibeta
    Posts
    6,333
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    yes, imagine what IEI would do if they are not being updated by the current changes in stock markets.

     

    They might choose a wrong person.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

     

    Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

    Your life is too short to actually do anything useful with it without being wasteful.

  20. #20
    What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Finland
    TIM
    SEI
    Posts
    2,993
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeliMeat View Post
    We need other types like our supervisors just as much as our duals because society needs everybody for sustenance and thus you do too. You may not have any reason to include such people in your immediate social/familial group, but I don't think being exclusive on a large scale is sustainable.
    Ok, yes, I agree that all types are needed in society. We need all those NT engineers etc. IEIs so we can have good poetry. On a personal level though I wouldn't say that we need our supervisors or even duals.

    The OP suggested countries as divided by quadra: United States of Alpha? Betaladesh? Gammaland? Deltacan Republic? My god, it's like global scale tribalism! How long do you think the USAlpha would last without any Te users around?
    yeah, well that's science fiction, not really socionics.

    I suggest that a "healthy" (a bit vague, I know) and varied society would sort itself out automatically for pretty much the same reason you questioned my first point. One expects to naturally gravitate towards comfortable intertype relations. Alphas stick to alphas, betas to betas, etc. Perhaps mainstream exposure of socionics could assist people in that. If the world transpires into necessary compartmentalization of the quadras, something went awry along the way. If people cannot congregate with like-minded individuals as is then we are screwed.
    I'm not sure I understand your point here. There is a tendency for people to gravitate towards same quadra, I agree. Are you talking about some extreme group formations in society according to quadra? It would be nice to understand your argument here. Maybe it's your Ni I can't really follow. Would you mind explaining a bit more?
    A true sense-perception certainly exists, but it always looks as though objects were not so much forcing their way into the subject in their own right as that the subject were seeing things quite differently, or saw quite other things than the rest of mankind. As a matter of fact, the subject perceives the same things as everybody else, only, he never stops at the purely objective effect, but concerns himself with the subjective perception released by the objective stimulus.
    (Jung on Si)


    My Pinterest

  21. #21
    Ксеркс, царь царей xerxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Miniluv
    Posts
    6,812
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Another solution to the question of social chaos is to become the Borg. There's this fascinating Hispanic scientist working on collective cybernetic intelligence, but I forgot his name.
    Last edited by xerxe; 02-20-2021 at 06:38 AM.

  22. #22
    Ксеркс, царь царей xerxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Miniluv
    Posts
    6,812
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xerxe View Post
    Another solution to social chaos is to become the Borg. There's this fascinating Hispanic scientist working on collective, cybernetic intelligence, but I forgot his name.
    And there's another project to rewire the brains of psychopaths using cybernetic implants.

  23. #23
    scientist donkey BrightDemonSheep96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    On a toilet, right above you
    TIM
    ILE-H LEVF/omnibeta
    Posts
    6,333
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    Ok, yes, I agree that all types are needed in society. We need all those NT engineers etc. IEIs so we can have good poetry. On a personal level though I wouldn't say that we need our supervisors or even duals.
    Yet society is not really needed and neither are humans.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

     

    Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

    Your life is too short to actually do anything useful with it without being wasteful.

  24. #24

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    11,726
    Mentioned
    359 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    I've learned a lot from my opposing quadra so I can't really imagine a world without Deltas. I would just need the freedom to not be surrounded by them constantly. Independence is key.
    Yep. This. Excellent point.

    IEI is the least Beta-like Beta anyway as we are the last Beta and the gateway to Gammas. But we are still Betas.




  25. #25
    DeliMeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    TIM
    IEI-N
    Posts
    230
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    I'm not sure I understand your point here. There is a tendency for people to gravitate towards same quadra, I agree. Are you talking about some extreme group formations in society according to quadra? It would be nice to understand your argument here. Maybe it's your Ni I can't really follow. Would you mind explaining a bit more?
    Oh, sorry, I failed to clarify that I didn't mean society would come to such large scale division automatically. I meant that society should naturally form subgroups (like friendships or teams) according to ITR and that is probably about as far as it could go without becoming degenerate. No grand or extreme formations, lol. Considering this, I suggest that necessary compartmentalization of quadras should be completely unnecessary. One could automatically form their little "subgroup minisocieties" without being exclusive of other people on a large scale. I think being exclusive would lead to disaster because I think each quadral endeavor would become exponentially significant and severe until it overloads without other quadras to put them in check. Ti societies without active Te would probably become too hierarchical and meticulous, Fi societies without active Fe would become overly solemn and self-righteous, no active Si would probably lead to rampant diseases and health issues, etc. etc.

  26. #26
    Alomoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    TIM
    ILI INTp
    Posts
    711
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yes. It's not ready. Fix the core disagreements first, make it stand to rigorous analysis, which it doesn't, at least not this forum's, and find it empirically valid. Then you can start the process of making it mainstream.

    First thing I would do is create an empiric system of VI. Why? Currently, it looks like advanced phrenology. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrenology

    Phrenology is fun, but nobody will take that seriously in an academic setting.

    BARE MINIMUM is a guide and theory as to why it works, if it works.

    For example, we're not looking at the shape of the head, we're looking at the expression of the face. Great, fantastic. That's acceptable, but it's not great.

    You're gonna want to actively qualify each and every type, show why the VI must be true with respect to all systems of psychology, and then you're good.

    I'm not gonna bother though, I'm just using this for my own purposes, which isn't to revolutionize psychology. You can though, and this would help people out.

    Personalized psychology is better than generalized psychology, but for personalized psychology you need to know how to personalize the psych. I assume some people try, but without general guidelines, it doesn't work.

    Socionics is the solution. I don't think I need to add to that.

    Trying new formatting, it's probably better, or more readable if I separate statements into different groupings so you can see what is a new statement or thought.

  27. #27
    RBRS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    121
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alomoes View Post
    Yes. It's not ready. Fix the core disagreements first, make it stand to rigorous analysis, which it doesn't, at least not this forum's, and find it empirically valid. Then you can start the process of making it mainstream.

    First thing I would do is create an empiric system of VI. Why? Currently, it looks like advanced phrenology. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrenology

    Phrenology is fun, but nobody will take that seriously in an academic setting.

    BARE MINIMUM is a guide and theory as to why it works, if it works.

    For example, we're not looking at the shape of the head, we're looking at the expression of the face. Great, fantastic. That's acceptable, but it's not great.

    You're gonna want to actively qualify each and every type, show why the VI must be true with respect to all systems of psychology, and then you're good.

    I'm not gonna bother though, I'm just using this for my own purposes, which isn't to revolutionize psychology. You can though, and this would help people out.

    Personalized psychology is better than generalized psychology, but for personalized psychology you need to know how to personalize the psych. I assume some people try, but without general guidelines, it doesn't work.

    Socionics is the solution. I don't think I need to add to that.

    Trying new formatting, it's probably better, or more readable if I separate statements into different groupings so you can see what is a new statement or thought.
    Dario Nardi wrote a book (Neuroscience of personality it is called) in which he correlated activity in certain regions of the brain with the cognitive processes that Jung described. While Nardi's work is interesting and lays the foundations for further investigation, it fails to establish conclusive facts.

    Taking these studies, taking neurological experiments further and establishing a scientific basis on which to fundament socionics is the path that socionists should take, the path of taking large samples of individuals whose sociotype is clearly defined and agreed between professionals, and submitting them to tests and contrast tests while their brain is being monitored. If this went well (and Nardi's studies suggest that it could work well) we would not only have proof that socionics is an excellent tool for interpreting the human psyche, even an objective method of diagnosing sociotypes through neurological tests could be developed.
    The thing is, if it went wrong, socionist would see their whole careers in ashes, so I think this is unlikely to happen.

    As a final note, the most important use of this is not actually in interpersonal relationships as most think (although it would still be relevant to relationships), but in the organization of work teams, in the structuring of businesses, in HR, in big data, in marketing, in goverments, and in the adaptation of classrooms, lessons and teachers by blocks of quadras in educational centers to create a superior learning experience for students, to give a few examples.

    If the idea that the human brain operates though information elements geared towards perceiving certain info, and that through analyzing those information elements you would be able to predict the myriad reactions to certain info from individuals, and you'll be able to predict relationships as well was an established fact, it would be revolutionary and probably affect most sectors and their way of organizing and behaving in any given society.

  28. #28
    Adam Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Posts
    10,151
    Mentioned
    1076 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frddy View Post
    Dario Nardi wrote a book (Neuroscience of personality it is called) in which he correlated activity in certain regions of the brain with the cognitive processes that Jung described. While Nardi's work is interesting and lays the foundations for further investigation, it fails to establish conclusive facts.

    Taking these studies, taking neurological experiments further and establishing a scientific basis on which to fundament socionics is the path that socionists should take, the path of taking large samples of individuals whose sociotype is clearly defined and agreed between professionals, and submitting them to tests and contrast tests while their brain is being monitored. If this went well (and Nardi's studies suggest that it could work well) we would not only have proof that socionics is an excellent tool for interpreting the human psyche, even an objective method of diagnosing sociotypes through neurological tests could be developed.
    The thing is, if it went wrong, socionist would see their whole careers in ashes, so I think this is unlikely to happen.

    As a final note, the most important use of this is not actually in interpersonal relationships as most think (although it would still be relevant to relationships), but in the organization of work teams, in the structuring of businesses, in HR, in big data, in marketing, in goverments, and in the adaptation of classrooms, lessons and teachers by blocks of quadras in educational centers to create a superior learning experience for students, to give a few examples.

    If the idea that the human brain operates though information elements geared towards perceiving certain info, and that through analyzing those information elements you would be able to predict the myriad reactions to certain info from individuals, and you'll be able to predict relationships as well was an established fact, it would be revolutionary and probably affect most sectors and their way of organizing and behaving in any given society.
    I could easily see this leading to an increase in efficiency in society, as people begin to learn better from those sociotypes from whom they learn best. I predict that it would also lead to greater discrimination in society as people begin to categorize others using a new criterion.

    I've worked in and for many, many companies, and this sociotype discrimination already exists in most of them. The person who runs the company just naturally gets along better with certain types, and so hires and promotes them, while other types which are not so favored are left to languish or leave. This already is happening, and has probably been happening since people first had personalities. But an explicit acknowledgment of these differences might only make companies more monochromatic, and since society as a whole is not monochromatic, the companies would be moving away from a system derived by evolution, and I would guess that this would make them both more efficient and more vulnerable.

  29. #29
    Ксеркс, царь царей xerxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Miniluv
    Posts
    6,812
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Understanding yet another building block of behaviour could, in theory, make a planned economy more efficient. One would certainly be inclined to plug that data into predictive machine learning algorithms.

    If the theoretical central planner still lacks the necessary information to make robust pricing decisions, then railroading people's purchasing behaviour in order to make it more predictable (using, say, some variation of China's social credit system), is always an option.

  30. #30
    RBRS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    121
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    I could easily see this leading to an increase in efficiency in society, as people begin to learn better from those sociotypes from whom they learn best. I predict that it would also lead to greater discrimination in society as people begin to categorize others using a new criterion.

    I've worked in and for many, many companies, and this sociotype discrimination already exists in most of them. The person who runs the company just naturally gets along better with certain types, and so hires and promotes them, while other types which are not so favored are left to languish or leave. This already is happening, and has probably been happening since people first had personalities. But an explicit acknowledgment of these differences might only make companies more monochromatic, and since society as a whole is not monochromatic, the companies would be moving away from a system derived by evolution, and I would guess that this would make them both more efficient and more vulnerable.
    In fact, if we take into account that this discrimination is carried out by targeting certain informational elements, in addition to the vulnerability that you mention, a secondary effect would be that each business would focus and approach much more specific niches and targets, something that could have a strong positive impact on sales and business-customer relations, therefore, consumer confidence, brand authority, etc.

    The more closed and defined the target audience is and therefore the marketing, contents and products also are, sales tend to increase, compared to expansive and broad-audience products in more saturated markets (And if you don't believe me start a dropshipping fidget spinner store and you will see for yourself). Now imagine that within a niche, you can close and focus even more the scope on let's say, a specific quadra, and knowing what kind of information it values, you can develop campaigns that highlight this information about the product, and a product that is in itself more oriented to satisfy the needs and tastes of this more closed public.

    Also imagine that you build a public relations, or marketing, or customer service teams hiring employees that belong to the the target audience's quadra. Or, well, that most of your employees are part of that quadra, and that the "business philosophy" in general is oriented towards that quadra, or even apply all of this to other fields in which you depend on other people's money/support, like politics (This already happens to a certain extent, companies try to brand themselves as belonging to a certain "group" to sort of bond and attract the attention of their audiences).

    I think that socionics being factually proven and mainstream would carry more positive consequences than negative consequences overall.
    Last edited by RBRS; 02-21-2021 at 02:17 AM.

  31. #31
    inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,627
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I really like that it hasn't. I think so far it doesn't have the potential to go mainstream a la something like MBTI because it is more complex and requires more study, time and thought, whereas MBTI I feel is this very simplistic typology that can easily be metabolized and go with people's confirmation biases in a way in which they don't have to justify it through reason (because there's not much there - not an entire system that makes a lot of sense that one has to actually learn). MBTI is more communicable/transmittable IOW and because of that it will out compete something like Socionics. It's something you can share with someone who only wants to spend an hour on it or something. People can be what they want to be more easily. It can be whatever you want it to be more easily.

    The complexity and language barrier involved in Socionics keeps it um safe from the mainstream horror. Really going mainstream often destroys things. But Socionics does have a better long term potential for this IMO because IMO it actually makes sense. It may be getting closer to something that can be more objectively verified. But still it's too much work for a lot of people except those who love typology.

  32. #32

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    11,726
    Mentioned
    359 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yeah socionics understands my darkness/ambiguities/complexities a lot better. It doesn't Mary Sue me.

    It's like I am a healer, mediator and diplomat but I'm also a vampire and demon. Mbti wants to self-righteously believe vampires don't exist and we're all just like little career angels that want to fit in the external world and never talk or discuss our Shadow. It doesn't even 'slay vampires' so much as they just are in complete denial that the Underworld exists.

    I still think socionics can be perfected but it is of course light years beyond mbti.

    Normies cannot comprehend or handle the power. It is for the Adventurers only. <3

  33. #33
    I don't play, I slay. Lolita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Near Whole Foods
    TIM
    SEE-N™ VLEF™AP 863
    Posts
    1,142
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    All the Quadras play a role in shaping society and the types play a role in their Quadra to promote their natural talents. It would be impossible to separate people by Quadras because Alphas and Betas will not survive on their own. Alphas are spacey and not in-tune with the real world demands. Betas will just kill each other. Gammas and Deltas will survive on their own and have control over wealth and production.

    Wait. Now that I think about it, I actually would like this sort of segregation. Betas are too much and they’re collectivist and passionately ideological so they cause wars over their ideology, which I’m vehemently against. EIE is Beta Quadra leader and they set the goals and values of the Quadra which is why Beta is so fervent in their dogmatic, authoritarian ideology. I hate ideological people. They’re extremely dangerous and troublesome because normal life is unbearable to them since they only care about their precious ideology and not practical matters, so they purposely set out to make normal life hell for others just to everyone has to get involved in their drama. They can’t just leave things well enough alone. SEE is Gamma Quadra leader and seek out material prosperity, to be rich and fabulous. We’re not tryna have no brokeass Beta ghetto turf wars.

  34. #34

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    11,726
    Mentioned
    359 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    A society of all Gammas would be incredibly shitty too. All the LIEs & ILIs would just totally suppress the ethical types and ESI can be pretty damn perverted and corrupt the entire thing as well. You need SLIs to keep the LIEs in balance.

    Makes better sense to keep opposing quadras away because there is no shared functions whatsoever for information exchange so there's too many misunderstandings and need to waste so much fucking time re-clarifying a single point where nothing can get done.

  35. #35
    scientist donkey BrightDemonSheep96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    On a toilet, right above you
    TIM
    ILE-H LEVF/omnibeta
    Posts
    6,333
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    The most stunted structure would arise from LIE/ESI society. I mean it kind of normative Fe way. It seems bit inhumane robotic business sort of system. Yeah, this the pair whose motivations seem bit strange to me. I really should understand this but Tyko Brahe (LIE) way of dying (holding pee inside during a business meeting - leading to fatal kidney failure) is just beyond bizarre (+ keeping a drunk moose as a pet - that is also bizarre Se mobilizing move.)
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

     

    Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

    Your life is too short to actually do anything useful with it without being wasteful.

  36. #36
    Adam Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Posts
    10,151
    Mentioned
    1076 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chin Diaper 007 View Post
    The most stunted structure would arise from LIE/ESI society. I mean it kind of normative Fe way. It seems bit inhumane robotic business sort of system. Yeah, this the pair whose motivations seem bit strange to me. I really should understand this but Tyko Brahe (LIE) way of dying (holding pee inside during a business meeting - leading to fatal kidney failure) is just beyond bizarre.
    What would be an example of an SEI-ILE society?

    The only thing that comes to mind would be a cooking game show, where contestants win odd prizes for guessing recipes or something.

    People could taste-test various dishes, and if they can name the ingredients, they win a bag of peppercorns, and if they can't, they win a toilet brush.

    I'm not sure who would bag the peppercorns, or run the injection-molders for the toilet brush, but I guess building a society around a single type isn't that easy.

  37. #37
    scientist donkey BrightDemonSheep96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    On a toilet, right above you
    TIM
    ILE-H LEVF/omnibeta
    Posts
    6,333
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    What would be an example of an SEI-ILE society?

    The only thing that comes to mind would be a cooking game show, where contestants win odd prizes for guessing recipes or something.

    People could taste-test various dishes, and if they can name the ingredients, they win a bag of peppercorns, and if they can't, they win a toilet brush.

    I'm not sure who would bag the peppercorns, or run the injection-molders for the toilet brush, but I guess building a society around a single type isn't that easy.
    I kind of stated that it wouldn't be a society. Kind of powerless anarchy.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

     

    Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

    Your life is too short to actually do anything useful with it without being wasteful.

  38. #38
    Adam Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Posts
    10,151
    Mentioned
    1076 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chin Diaper 007 View Post
    I kind of stated that it wouldn't be a society. Kind of powerless anarchy.

    So it would be like the Alpha Elves in LOTR, who had to move to another continent when the Beta Orcs took over, then the Gamma Riders fought back, and then finally the Delta Hobbits just settled into contented obscurity after all the dust settled.

    Clearly no society which was dominated by a single Duality would survive forever.

  39. #39
    Aramas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,263
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    So it would be like the Alpha Elves in LOTR, who had to move to another continent when the Beta Orcs took over, then the Gamma Riders fought back, and then finally the Delta Hobbits just settled into contented obscurity after all the dust settled.

    Clearly no society which was dominated by a single Duality would survive forever.
    I feel like the Alphas would be the hobbits. Elves were very interested in craftsmanship which seems more stereotypically Delta.

  40. #40
    lkdhf qkb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Inferno 13th floor
    TIM
    IEE-Ne5w4/1w9/2 SPSX
    Posts
    523
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chin Diaper 007 View Post
    I really should understand this but Tyko Brahe (LIE) way of dying (holding pee inside during a business meeting - leading to fatal kidney failure) is just beyond bizarre (+ keeping a drunk moose as a pet - that is also bizarre Se mobilizing move.)
    Wee little Tycho Jr. couldn't hold the pressure of da peepee

    Socionics should become more mainstream in relationship counseling, human ressources departments, diplomatic negotiations and so on. It should be used to promote growth and the understanding of our differences and not feed some dumb totalitarist utopias.
    I rarely feel alone. I rarely talk to anyone, yet in my head i have the most amazing, the most fantastic discussions with the people in my life. In real life, what most people talk about is several orders of magnitude lesser than their inner experiences. Most people never reveal the singularity of their subjective experience.
    Maybe I should learn to explore other people's consciousness. Maybe I should aim for a real space between me and others. Instead of cultivating monologues and fantasies. It's hard, but the alternative to this seems to be madness. ~ lkdhf qkb

    Life is soup. I'm fork


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •